Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2006 6:38:48 PM EDT
is it better if it does ? or is it just aesthetic movement
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
is it better if it does ? or is it just aesthetic movement

?

Are you talking about the movement of the slide that ejects a spent shell and loads the next round?
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Revolvers?  No.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
SGB-- this kid is probably like 10 yrs old.

I dont know what to think nor how to respond.

So I will just go away.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Do all slides on handguns pop back after firing?

No...some AIRSOFT do not do that
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
there are a few pistols with internal bolts.  most are large pistols such as the UZI or TEC 9.  maybe this is what he's refering to?  

also the Ruger Mk1,2,3 don't really have a slide, although they have an external/internal slide thingy that comes out the back.  a few others, but i can't think right now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm...why DO they call it a SLIDE, anyway?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
or do you mean do all slides LOCK back?

hmm... lock back or moves back to eject shells and load bullets..

does the slide lock back also ?  what is locking back... to cock the gun ?

ive heard not all guns cock should be cocked back to load and that the hammer should be used... is this true or just for certain ones ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
there are a few pistols with internal bolts.  most are large pistols such as the UZI or TEC 9.  maybe this is what he's refering to?  

also the Ruger Mk1,2,3 don't really have a slide, although they have an external/internal slide thingy that comes out the back.  a few others, but i can't think right now.

lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]
If the slide didn't move back, how do you think it would chamber the next round?
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Umm...what is funny about that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#14]
the benefit of the doubt.  im a nb
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

hmm... lock back or moves back to eject shells and load bullets..

does the slide lock back also ?  what is locking back... to cock the gun ?

ive heard not all guns cock should be cocked back to load and that the hammer should be used... is this true or just for certain ones ?

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a fucking serious answer in here anywhere; the ones who talk shit have all fired enough guns to know a simple fuckING answer.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Good Grief!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handgun

ETA Given he specificity of your original post, the answer is, "Some do, and some don't."

And how does "aesthetic" even get into the conversation?

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is there a fucking serious answer in here anywhere; the ones who talk shit have all fired enough guns to know a simple fuckING answer.  Thanks.

Your question has been answered multiple times.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I believe this forum here will fit your needs better

http://thetruestgs.phpbbnow.com/index.php
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#20]
semi-autos for dummies

1.  Click link
2.  Watch animation

*animation moves slowly to aid in understanding*
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll try and answer this with an undestanding that not everyone knows how guns work.  Most common auto pistols have a slide on top.  The slide holds the bolt, and under force of recoil slides back to eject the spent round from the chamber, then  it slides back forward (under the force of a recoild/return spring) as it does so it picks up the next round.  the next round is pushed into the chamber (a slightly wider part of the barrel) and sits until the hammer or striker (depending on the type) falls on the firing pin...then it repeats.

The simplest answer to your question is no, not all pistols do that.  Some pistols are really just semi auto versions of machine pistols...like the Ingram, UZI, TEC9 and I think the High Points.  In those examples (and a few others) the bolt slides inside of a reciever, so no external piece is moving.  These guns are quite a bit larger and clunckier that what you would think of as a rue "pistol"

Revolvers do not have slide either.  The cocking of the hammer or long trigger pl works a mechanical action that rotates the cylinder to bring a new round in line with the barrel.

There are also some older type of auto pistols, like the Luger that have togle instead of a slide...and some other things like the Ruger 22 pistols that have a bolt pull, not a slide and an internal bolt.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]
At the risk of actually trying to answer your question....

In a semi-automatic pistol, something has to move back and forth to pull the expended cartridge our of the chamber and push a fresh cartridge out of the magazine and into the chamber.

As others have mentioned, in some Very Large pistols like a Tec-9, Mac 11, etc., the part that moves is entirely enclosed by a shroud or cover.

Some semi-auto pistols like the Ruger MK II and 22/45, most of the top of the pistol stays still, but a part of the top rear does fly back out of the gun each time it fires.

Now, we get to the most common type of semi-automatic pistol where the entire top of the gun (the 'slide') moves back and forth each time it's fired.

All three of these share one common theme - the part that actually pulls the spend shell out of the firing chamber and pushes in a new shell moves back and forth. Somewhere in the mechanism is a recoil spring. When the pistol is fired, recoil tries to drive the moving bits rearward. The recoil spring slows these parts down, then, after the spent brass is kicked out, the recoil spring is what drives the moving bits forward again to load another.

I've skimmed over the top of a lot of terminology and details. Please forgive me (and ask for clarification) if I simplified things a little too much.

AB

(dang - I must type slow - several good answers automagically appeared above mine!)
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
semi-autos for dummies

1.  Click link
2.  Watch animation

thanks you fucking rock
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Bigger Bullet, I have seen some of your posts - and some of the questions you have asked. In all honesty, I too have wondered if you are "for real" or just a troll yanking our chain.

The questions you have posted are really basic questions that an average gun enthusiast should already know - by studying and reading through books and various reference materials on the matter.   That is why some members here find it hard to believe that you are "legit".

That being said, I, along with others will give you the benefit of the doubt ... for now ...

There are two types of handguns, the semi-automatic pistol and the revolver.

The revolver as I assume you know are the ones with the cylinder. They bullets are fired sequentially as the cylinder turns - hammer falls - with the pull of the trigger.

A pistol on the other hand is the one with a slide mechanism and the bullets are fed through a magazine. It has a "blowback" mechanism.

As you pull back the slide - release - you push a round (called chambering) into the barrel. The same movement as to pull back the slide "engages" the hammer to its firing position. As you squeeze the trigger, hammer falls, bullet ignites, launching the slug, pushing the slide back (blowback and ejecting the spent shell), which causes the whole cycle of operation again.

So there you have it. A quick lesson in the mechanics of handguns.

Do some research. The interweb is a well of knowledge. You can pick up tons of information there. Unfortunately, ARFCom assumes that you already know the basics. That is why members are surprised when people ask questions such as these.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will feel more at home on the sight Joedan posted. It's more your speed and they use terminology that you can easily understand.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#26]
permaban
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
semi-autos for dummies

1.  Click link
2.  Watch animation

thanks you fucking rock

Please quit with the unnecessary profanity.  Every one of your posts seems to have "fucking" in it.  This forum is different than many on the internet in that most of us try to speak and discuss like reasonable adults.  I'm just warning you before you get into trouble.

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Please quit with the unnecessary profanity.  Every one of your posts seems to have "fucking" in it.

BIG + 1
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Just to throw a stone in the gears.

The answer is, No, not all the time.  The slide on a semi-automatic pistol will attempt to push it self forward in order to load the next round. This action is differnt on different guns but the most common is by using a spring....BUT that doesnt mean it WILL be able to move forward.

When you start to learn more about firearms this will become easy to understand.

each weapon fires in its own way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#30]
What is going on here???

All you have to do is look at either a pistol or a revolver and see the difference in mechanical working.  That'd be like looking at a wheel at not knowing how it rolls down the road.  

My advice to the original poster is do a little research on your own before you screw with the rest of us.  Your question is super super basic.  Most of us knew these answer when we were kids.   Because we have been around guns for that long.  I apologize if you have not had that experience and are genuinely trying to learn.  But something just don't add up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
semi-autos for dummies

1.  Click link
2.  Watch animation

thanks you fucking rock

So he posts a animation that clarifies how a semi-auto works and you call him a "fucking rock"?
I love it when people act all tough on the internet.

From your "aesthetic" comment and many other comments from other posts you seem to mostly care about how a gun looks. Why not just buy a "pretty" gun and call it good?

(just to clarify, I think we all like guns that look good, but anyone even semi-serious about guns has appearance listed about #5 on the priority list after reliability, durability, shootablity, and comfort)
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
semi-autos for dummies

1.  Click link
2.  Watch animation

thanks you fucking rock

So he posts a animation that clarifies how a semi-auto works and you call him a "fucking rock"?
I love it when people act all tough on the internet.

From your "aesthetic" comment and many other comments from other posts you seem to mostly care about how a gun looks. Why not just buy a "pretty" gun and call it good?

(just to clarify, I think we all like guns that look good, but anyone even semi-serious about guns has appearance listed about #5 on the priority list after reliability, durability, shootablity, and comfort)

Rolando...you need to get out of the house more often....

"You fvcking Rock!" Is a compliment! As in..." You fVcking rock dude!" You rock my world! You Rock!

I'm guessing you don't have or are close to any teenagers in the family?

Carry on....

-John
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#33]
hmmm, maybe you're right- in the Marine Corps when you call someone a "rock" it means "you're about as smart as a rock"

Civilian speak confuses me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If you tell us your native language, someone here might be able to explain it to you.  

Or you could visit one of the foreign Arfcom sites.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
hmmm, maybe you're right- in the Marine Corps when you call someone a "rock" it means "you're about as smart as a rock"

lol.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#36]

You need to understand that semi-automatic pistols come in two main varieties:  blowback and locked breech.  

Blowback operated pistols generally have a barrel that is fixed relative to the receiver.  The bolt (as in a Ruger MKII) or slide (as in most other pistols)  is held up to the breach by spring tension alone.  When the pistol is fired, gas pressure between the bullet and the casing pushes back on the bolt/slide, forcing it open against spring tension.  In order to prevent excessive slide velocity, blowing hot gases out on the shooter, and other nasty effects, blowback pistols either have 1) a weak cartridge such as .22lr, .32acp, .380acp 2) a massive slide/bolt mechanism combined with a heavy recoil spring (as in an UZI, Sten, Hi-Point pistol) or 3)a delaying mechanism.  A common delaying mechanism is a fluted chamber that "grips" the case until pressure has lowered.  Another delay mechanism is to bleed gas from the barrel into an enclosed piston mounted to the slide.  This type of delayed blowback is used in the HK P7.

Pistols that are designed to fire cartridges more powerful than .380 while remaining reasonably small have a "locked breech" of some type.  The idea is that the breech remains locked shut until pressure within the barrel has lowered and, in most cases, the bullet has left the barrel.  The most common mechanism is a tilting barrel that remains locked to the slide via locking lugs within the slide or ejection port.  The barrel travels with the slide a short distance and is then rotated free of the slide.  Once the barrel separates from the slide, the slide continues back to facilitate extraction, ejection, and feeding the next round.  95% (at least) of current service pistols use some form of tilting barrel.  Another common mechanism uses a tilting locking lug mounted to the barrel.  This type of action is used in the Walther P38 and Beretta 92. The Luger has a unique action where a toggle mechanism facilitates extraction, ejection and feed after the barrel has traveled a short distance.  No current pistol uses the toggle action.

Awesome animation of a toggle-action Luger
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I'm with you. Last time I heard somebody get called a "rock", it was because the whole platoon was about to get smoked.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

hahaha
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Read this dorks contributions before posting:

3 days.  Over 30 new threads.  

permaban

Megaintergalactic spinstabilized super +1.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Yet no reply from him after his shit was aired out.  Hmmm, somebody run home to Mommy, maybe?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#45]
OMFG, this thread has got me rolling!!

I really needed this today.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Read this dorks contributions before posting:

3 days.  Over 30 new threads.  

permaban

Megaintergalactic spinstabilized super +1.

Make it a plus 2!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Make it a plus 2!!

+ 87 X .9bar
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was think more like http://www.planetairsoft.net/. They'd love him over there

Since I'm a sick bastard, I'd like to see him get a fascination with AK's and start hanging out in their forum. They'd chew the poor lil guy to pieces.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+ 87 X .9bar

Now that is funny.

Dave.

P.S.  Might take a math geek, I suppose, to get the humor.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 87 X .9bar

Now that is funny.

Dave.

P.S.  Might take a math geek, I suppose, to get the humor.

Not really, It's a recurring topic of GD wars, I'd venture a guess that many a ARFCOMer is aware of that phenomenon.

(Even if they never wanted to be)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top