Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2006 7:16:09 AM EDT
which receiver is the best OLL for CA ??

finish, material, build, weight etc...  name your best and second choice . thanks

Vulcan and Hesse replies are not welcome

if you post me a link to it, you are very kind.

whats forged or bullet ?? which is better  . also is carbon fiber the most preferred material ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Alot of the guys here also travel over to Cal Guns www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php and Guns Cal gunscal.com/oldindex.php two other places to ask other Californians what they're using.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#2]
All brands of forged off-list lowers will build reliable, accurate rifles.  

Some people get billet lowers and these may work fine, but milspec is forged (for a reason).

However, the lower rcvr on an AR does not do much work or get that much stress. As long as the magwell and the various holes are all cut properly in relation to each other, it'll work fine.

Stay away from Vulcan/Hesse for 223 (although they are the only legal choice for a 308 AR10-compatibile lower), and newbies/first time AR types should stay away from the newfangled carbon fiber lowers.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Going by appearances alone, the Mega seems to be the best looking forged lower.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys.

want to buy 2 lowers, so far im thinking DPMS, Fulton, Bushmaster, and Mega for OLL.

which two would you guys pick ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
thanks guys.

want to buy 2 lowers, so far im thinking DPMS, Fulton, Bushmaster, and Mega for OLL.

which two would you guys pick ?

I am not a fan of the finish on the DPMS, at least the older ones I have seen. The Mega looks good, Bushmaster is good. I think Fulton is good too. But at the beginning of the whole OLL thing they screwed over some CA vendors, and as a result, I wouldn't buy anything from them when there are other brands available.

You might also want to look at Superior, they have good machining and finish, IMHO. Stag isn't bad either, and there are about a million other brands out there worth considering.

Unless you are really concerned about looks, get whichever ones you can get cheapest.

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, those choices do not accurately reflect the original question, but of those, I would choose Fulton and Mega; cool roll marks.  I also like the LMT, and the new Magpul lower looks interesting.  I would stick the aluminum lower (no carbon fiber), unless you were going to go with a stainless steel lower.  They are a little heavier and do the same job.

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks mitch your response is appreciated

which looks better , the stainless steel or aluminum ones? can you not tell with the finish and its just weight ?

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you considered CMMG?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

My CMMG built very well and it has good craftsmanship. I also have 3 DSA lowers and a Sabre Defence, and I would not hesitate to buy more of them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

My CMMG built very well and it has good craftsmanship. I also have 3 DSA lowers and a Sabre Defence, and I would not hesitate to buy more of them.

What's up with "The_Gooch" handle? Have you ever got any PM's for peoples money or kits back?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

What's up with "The_Gooch" handle? Have you ever got any PM's for peoples money or kits back?

I tried to tell him about that a while back but it fell on deaf ears.

Hey Gooch, your IMs must be interesting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I suggest consolidating your posts -

You have a post in the Technical forums basically asking the same thing, then this one in Hometown (posted an hour apart).  

Helpful people are answering on both not knowing the other (same question) exists - worse, some people are not familiar with OLLs, and are suggesting you purchase a Bushmaster lower, a lower you asked about, without knowing they are banned by name in California (yes, I know the carbon lowers are legal to purchase - but it seems everyone is recommending the XM15, which is already banned).

I would suggest keeping any OLL related questions here, as many outside of California are not aware of our unique situation, and may give you advice (well meaning, of course), that may get you into legal trouble.

With all of that said, as Bill suggested, any quality forged lower will suffice.  I have an affinity for CMT-made lowers.  I own Stag, Noveske, and MGI lowers - all are top shelf, and the quality of the finish is exceptional (for the most part).  The MGI has minor cosmetic flaws, but this is due to the additional mods required to make the lower "modular."  The new MGI lowers should be billet vs the earlier forged, so you will not see these flaws on the latest from MGI.

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Everytime I hear "The Gooch" I always think of that spot on a guy...you know...

What else should I be thinking of when I hear "The Gooch"
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Actually you are right... I came up with the screen name after watching Jackass 1

As far as nasty IM's thinking i'm that dirt bag, I have never gotten any!
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I ask because I had heard the name referenced before but it's always in a "you know the guy I'm talking about" context and I never bothered to ask.

And why would you want to name yourself after that part of the male anatomy?!
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Over the last 15 years or more I have assembled lowers from colt, Bushmaster, Eagle Arms, Olympic Arms and Doublestar.

Olympic was the worst.  Colts are great.  Doublestar's were very good IMO.

Avoid Olympic and strongly consider Doublstar.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Over the last 15 years or more I have assembled lowers from colt, Bushmaster, Eagle Arms, Olympic Arms and Doublestar.

Olympic was the worst.  Colts are great.  Doublestar's were very good IMO.

Avoid Olympic and strongly consider Doublstar.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes what he said.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes what he said.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Gary Guccioni, aka Informer. Proprietor and sole gunsmith of Solstice Arms. Used to have a stellar rep as a premium AK builder.

Built (or had built by someone else) some beautiful AKs for high profile members on this and other boards. Naturally the new owners posted pics on this and other websites showing top quality builds that were very accurate.

So suckers like me sent this fuck receivers, kits and cash for a first class build up.

A scam artist. Rumor is that it involved lots of drugs. After the shit hit the fan the Kansas attorney general raided the "shop" and confiscated what could be found of the kits. They were being stored in a chicken coop on this asshole's farm out in the middle of BFE.  

I got my receiver back, about half of a new Bulgarian kit and zero cash.

Live and learn.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I ask because I had heard the name referenced before but it's always in a "you know the guy I'm talking about" context and I never bothered to ask.

And why would you want to name yourself after that part of the male anatomy?!

Its not so much that I named myself after the 'part', it is more a reference to the scene itself as it cracked me up to no end!
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:56:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top