is it looks ??
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
they work.....they just work
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
well, they work, but personally I think the 3rd generation G23 is one of the best looking pistols on the market
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Go shoot one.  They rock!  The ultimate KISS pistol.

They shoot great, they cost a little less than the competition.  You don't have to worry about ruining the finish at all.  

Have you ever shot a fine firearm and were worried the whole time that you were going to scratch the finish, or leave fingerprints on the barrel?  You don't have to worry with a Glock.

Someone will chime in here soon about the unsupported chamber, and that they will explode.  That person has never inspected the unsupported chamber of a 1911.

BTW, it definitely isn't looks, they are ugly as hell.  I thought that they were the ugliest pistols I've ever seen until I saw the Croatian wonder, the XD's.

Lots of folks buy them for shooting, they aren't bought for looking at for sure.

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
well, they work, but personally I think the 3rd generation G23 is one of the best looking pistols on the market

Well, I it is in the eye of the beholder!
I'm keeping mine, even though they are fugly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Durable, reliable, cheap.

What more could you ask for?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
dishwasher safe!
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
availability of calibers is a plus as well: 9, 357 sig, 40, 10, 45acp

What other gun family offers all those?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
is it looks ??

Interesting first post.

Did it occur to you to perhaps do some research on this topic yourself? It's not like this hasn't been covered a million places a million times.

I'll indulge you:

usually work out of the box
low bore axis makes for fast follow-up shots
consistent trigger reset
requires little maintenance
very durable and reliable
many aftermarket accessories available
passive safety systems make operation simple

There are other reasons. BTW, most people consider Glocks ugly and "soulless."
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#12]
It does not show up on a metal dectector, that is why I got mine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]
They're idiot proof.

I'm no idiot, so i don't care for them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
they work.....they just work

+1

As in the 19C I carry ....where else are you going to find a flatter shooting 9mm with that capacity, weight, reliability, durability, accuracy, package size, and ease/lack of maintenance......
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#15]
My Glocks have a soul and one is Glock sr and the other is Glock jr.  Funny thing is Glock jr is my G19 and Glock sr is my g26.  Got my g26 first.

I like the way they shoot.  Better than my Taurus 24/7 in 9mm
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#16]
They're reliable. Alot of people trust their life to them. I know I do.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#17]
They work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Being that they were originally designed as military sidearms, they can take a lot of punishment and keep on going. The low parts count makes it easy to detail strip and parts are readily available from various online sources if needed, and inexpensive compared to some other brands. Same goes for the magazines.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a G23.  It's durable, cheap, and practical for most cases.  The factory sights suck take some getting used to.  I blame them for not being able to hit the broadside of the barn.  It certainly isn't ME.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Because I saw this homie in the movies holding one sideways and lots of shells was flying out the top all over and I had to have one.

Seriousley, I read the G21 toture test and it inspired me to buy two of them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#23]
only pistol you can bumpfire underwater
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#24]
They have less shit to mess with on them, they are reliable, they have no sharp edges
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I like Glocks because I tend to shoot them better than any other centerfire pistol I have fired with the possible exception of the Browning Hi-Power.  I hafe also never experienced any kind of failure while shooting a Glock.  I don't care what a weapon looks like so long as it works well (reliable and accurate).
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks?  Maybe, I like the utilitarian look about them.  Plus they just work good, no problems at all with my G17.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I read the G21 toture test and it inspired me to buy two of them.

Bigbore's thread?  That's what got me hooked too.  

I got mine (G19) as mainly a carry piece...but I shoot it everytime I go to the range since ammo is so cheap.  It's nothing to go through a couple hundred rounds each week.  

You either like em or you don't.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#28]
80% Law Enforcement use them. They always go bang and easy to care for..Oh and I love them
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#30]

SIMPLE

RELIABLE

CHEAP
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
80% Law Enforcement use them. They always go bang and easy to care for..Oh and I love them

Law Enforcement carried .38 specl revolvers for decades but that didn't have much to do with them being the best tool for the job. just cheap, reliable and minimul training needed to keep (most of) the LEO from shooting themsevles.

I still have a soft spot for a good old reliable .38 six shooter.
I like Glocks simply because I shoot them better, and I've had better reliability from them than any other auto pistol I've owned. I've tried SIG's, Beretta's, HK's, 1911's(still one of my favorites), Browning Hi-Powers's(also still one of my favorites), S&W's autos, Rugers, and just about everthing you can think of. I've either owned it or have some experience with it. My most used handguns are Glocks. I call them a black(or OD green), ugly pistol. They are without a doubt one of the homeliest handguns on the planet. They are, however, as one person stated so well, "the AK of handguns". I totally agree with that. They also seem to have that kind of no nonsense, business-like appearance like an AK has. But lets face it, compared to a nice 1911, BHP, or a pre-war S&W revolver, they are downright ugly, just as an AK is ugly compared to a Mauser 98,  M1903 Springfield, or M1 Garand, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 on everyone else's reasons. For me personally, I shoot best with either a Glock or a 1911 (from the handguns i've tried), so that also is another big plus. They just point very well for me. And I definitely have to emphasize the fact that while you still should take care of it, you don't have to worry about it as much as some others firearms. It's probably the only brand of handgun i'll buy specifically for carry, home defense, zombie invasions, etc. just because it works so well for my needs.

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I just purchased a new Glock Model 19 for my CCW. Why?  Quality of manufacture, dependability, good overall size and weight for concealment, large assortment of accessories that are affordable and available (holsters, spare magazines. etc.), good price, factory repair service available (not that I will ever need it, another reason for the purchase), shootability, and 15-rounds 9mm magazine capacity.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#34]
g17 got it in 92
aways shoots
easy to field strip and clean
most accurate 9mm i have shot
can take more pounding then any weapon and still fire

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Glock work. Every time. That is why they are popular. KISS keep it simple stupid. When there is a problem with one it is usually ammo related, or shooter related. People love to bag on the lack of external safety, but do not bitch about revolvers in the same way.

Glocks are shootable, hard to break, easy to feed, easy to clean and care for.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I have an OD G23 ... it's amazingly accurate, lightweight, dependable and fun to shoot. It's the perfect size and weight and makes a great carry gun.  It's also basically indestructible and there are tons of aftermarket parts to customize it just they way you want.  I also own a SIG and a SA 1911 ...  but the Glock is my favorite ...

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#37]
i just liked how it looked.. so i got one...
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Aimless said it very succiently:  "Cheap, reliable and more than accurate enough for any realistic use."

My mentor is still teaching shooting at age 70.  He switched to Glocks and dumped all but one of his Browning designed .45s.

I was brought up on Browning designed .45s.  I switched to Glocks.

For the people who were brought up on the Browning designed .45acp, I would like you to consider the following:  1.  no more stove pipes, 2. no more misfeeds, 3. no more two rounds jamming at the same time; 4.  no more being concerned with putting on or off the safety; 5.  no more worrying about speed reloads, administrative reloads or tactical reloads; 6. no more ramping, tuning, polishing the feed lips, pinning the grip safety; 7. no more worrying about magazine reliability; 8. less shooting dry; 9. fewer parts wearing out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Aimless said it very succiently:  "Cheap, reliable and more than accurate enough for any realistic use."

My mentor is still teaching shooting at age 70.  He switched to Glocks and dumped all but one of his Browning designed .45s.

I was brought up on Browning designed .45s.  I switched to Glocks.

For the people who were brought up on the Browning designed .45acp, I would like you to consider the following:  1.  no more stove pipes, 2. no more misfeeds, 3. no more two rounds jamming at the same time; 4.  no more being concerned with putting on or off the safety; 5.  no more worrying about speed reloads, administrative reloads or tactical reloads; 6. no more ramping, tuning, polishing the feed lips, pinning the grip safety; 7. no more worrying about magazine reliability; 8. less shooting dry; 9. fewer parts wearing out.

This is a thread about why Glocks are awesome. Not about why 1911s suck. Besides, your reasons for hating on 1911s are almost all wrong anyway.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:48:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#42]
-- and if you file off the squared trigger guard (as on my two) it not only looks better, it carries better (--a little better )
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Well this is odd as hell. My Active Topics has the last post in this thread by Aimless at 8:47pm today. But I can't see his post.

Do we have a stealth penguin?

ETA: Now there is a "ghost post" at 9:34. I think he's fuckin' wit me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
badtroll.orcon.net.nz/images/greentroll.png

i have never heard anyone say that glocks were popular b/c of how they look
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I have had Glocks for quite a few years and found them extremely reliable.   I like the Glock triggers, their lightness and size to ammo capacity ratio. Also I can change parts, and completely disassemble them for the occational deep cleaning. Parts and accessories are readily available.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I *HAD* a Glock 17 in 9mm...  I owned it for exactly 6 months.  Then I SOLD IT.

Glocks are:
CHEAP.
RELIABLE.
ACCURATE. (Relatively)

TJ is right, they're the AK of handguns...  Take a beating & keep on going.

The only thing is I couldn't get used to the odd Grip Angle, and that TRIGGER.  I modded it with a nice 3.5 disconnector & overtravel stop, and STILL couldn't get used to it.  You see, the problem is when you've been SPOILED by a handgun with an INCREDIBLE trigger (like a nice Colt 1911) you just can't go back.  I went from a 1911 to a Glock, and suffice to say I just sold my Glock yesterday afternoon.  I'm saving up for a 1911 as its replacement.

I really liked my Glock, but it was a love-hate relationship...
-I loved the durability of the Tennifer finish, but it looked uglier than shit.
-I really liked the SIMPLICITY of the gun and therefore its ease of detail stripping, but WHY did Gaston design it so it requires TOOLS to detail strip it?  (Should have chatted with J.M. Browning about that) Ummm...ya you need a lousy pin punch, oh my God, the agony. You need tools to completly detail strip a 1911 too. -I really liked the trigger pull as it was easy to modify and improve over 'stock' triggers and far surpasses that of the XD trigger, but it's STILL not as consistent, crisp, and creep-free as a good 1911 trigger (Straight-Pull vs Pivoting Trigger). Try a New York trigger. It is a heavier pull, but it is a much smoother, crisper pull than stock, IMO.
-I really liked the high-capacity mags and less reloading in timed shooting events, but sometimes the weaker 9mm just can't swing some heavier steel plates over unless you hit it further from the axis to get more leverage on the swinging plate. (45 ACP has no problem at all)
-I really liked the light weight of the polymer frame, but I disliked how it would get SIGNIFICANTLY front-heavy as the magazine gets emptied while shooting.
-I really liked the accuracy, but it wasn't stellar. (It was on par with my last 1911). What's wrong with that?
-I really liked the reliability, but glocks aren't exactly known for 'tight tolerances' in slide/frame fit. So? Thats why they work so reliably.

All in All.  I really liked my Glock, but it just wasn't for me. That's all you needed to say. And that is why so many people say to try as many guns as you can, and see what works best for you.  I love Glocks, and I'll probably own another one someday (probably a G27 for IWB summer carry).

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#48]
They're cheap and reliable.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
is it looks ??

Police departments have been sold on them being 'safer' than conventional pistols...

Never mind that if officers try and carry another single-action pistol, they shit a brick...

Personally, Glock is the most screwed up duty pistol design ever - you do NOT put your 'automatic safety' on the goddamn TRIGGER! It's useless there, as it does nothing to prevent idiocy from becoming a ND...

The purpose of a safety mechanisim on a duty gun is to keep the dumbest-possible-operator from shooting himself or someone else negligently....
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
is it looks ??

Police departments have been sold on them being 'safer' than conventional pistols...

Never mind that if officers try and carry another single-action pistol, they shit a brick...

Personally, Glock is the most screwed up duty pistol design ever - you do NOT put your 'automatic safety' on the goddamn TRIGGER! It's useless there, as it does nothing to prevent idiocy from becoming a ND...

The purpose of a safety mechanisim on a duty gun is to keep the dumbest-possible-operator from shooting himself or someone else negligently....

Yeah, just like all the revolvers that cops used to carry all had safeties. Oh wait, that's right, they didn't!!
Most police departments that issue the Glock use the New York trigger spring, which gives the trigger an ~8lb trigger pull, just like the old revolvers used to have.
They are simpler, and safer to use than many other conventional pistol designs.
Your argument holds no water.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top