Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2006 12:39:50 PM EDT
like what should i be aware of ? weight, recoil, etc ??
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
are there any advantageous to compact and full size
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can narrow it down a bit to particular models, you'll get better answers. Your question is too broad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
weight and recoil can play into each other...being that compacts weight less and there for have more muzzle flip/felt recoil

round capacity is another thing....say the Glock 17 (standard) vs. Glock 19 (compact)

G17 can hold 17+1, G19 can hold IIRC 15+1. (9mm btw)

compacts are easier to conceal (for carry purposes) and do not create such a print

i won't get into accuracy/precision b/c i have seen 3.5"-4" pistols outshoot 5" on up pistols in terms of accuracy.  

that's about all i feel justified to answer at this moment until you get a lil more specific.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
well im thinking between the Sig P229R and P226R .357 sig models...

does full size generally tend to have more accuracy and less recoil?

would you get a full size or compact if u were getting a .357

btw... what is the max capacity clip for the 229r and 226r?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
well im thinking between the Sig P229R and P226R .357 sig models...

does full size generally tend to have more accuracy and less recoil?

would you get a full size or compact if u were getting a .357

btw... what is the max capacity clip for the 229r and 226r?

accuracy depends really more on your trigger technique/pull and getting rid of the "flinch" that a lot of shooters have when pulling the trigger

you can make any pistol shoot good w/ a light trigger, propper sight alignment, trigger squeeze, stance, grip, etc......

okay i take that back...you can't make any pistol shoot good but if you combine all those things i listed...i guarentee you're gonna put your shots where you need/want them to go
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Barrel length is usually one difference.  A longer barrel equals more velocity, other things equal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Almost always, the bigger the gun, the better and more pleasurable the shooting.

The reason for compacts then are comfort of carry, concealment (the 2 Cs in CCW) as well as quicker draw and sight acquisition.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Almost always, the bigger the gun, the better and more pleasurable the shooting.

The reason for compacts then are comfort of carry, concealment (the 2 Cs in CCW) as well as quicker draw and sight acquisition.

+1  Also, I've often read and been told you should carry the largest handgun you can shoot well and comfortably carry concealed.  That's "largest" in terms of power and barrel length/velocity.  Makes sense to me.  Handguns aren't as lethal in the real world as they are in games, movies and TV.  You want plenty of expansion and penetration.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Bigger_bullet,

Is there a range you can drive to that rents handguns?  For example, here in the Seattle Area we have Wade's Eastside Guns.  They have a bunch of handguns and a few rifles you can rent and use on their range.  If there is a range like that in your area, it would be a good way to handle the guns that interest you.  Then you can see what "feels" best and shoots best for you first hand.  If there isn't a range like that in your area, then check out your Hometown forum.  There may be ARFCOMers in your area who would meet you at a range and let you shoot their handguns.

BTW, you can go to the manufacturer's website and see the differences between the various sized and models.  Last time I was shopping for a handgun, I recorded all the specifications that were important to me (weight, dimmensions, barrel length, price, etc.) on a Excel spreasheet so I could compare them easily.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Design.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#12]
mmk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top