Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2013 5:26:37 PM EDT
Tonight's featured avatar belongs to the member, viator - a long term member of the site since 2001!

Some of you may recognize this as part of the remains of the USS Arizona - a battleship sunk during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941

The USS Arizona was the most heavily damaged of all the vessels in Battleship Row, suffering four direct hits from 800-kg bombs. The last bomb to strike her penetrated her deck starboard of turret two and detonated within a 14-inch powder magazine.  She lost 1,177 men, over half of all of the entire casualties suffered during the attack that morning.

The Navy made the ship the official resting place for the men lost that day.  The remaining structure above the waterline was removed over the next year following the attack.  

It was designated a national shrine in 1962 and a memorial was built across the ship's sunken remains.

As she remains today:

....and now you know.  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Previously featured avatars:

Maccrage
Substandard
4v50
Vengarr
Wwace
Amos1909
BillythePoet
Bradders
StonerStudent
Skebe

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Another fine job
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm surprised the liberals aren't crying over the oil slick from it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
ok thats a cool avatar!
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

One thing I learned was that she took on 1.5 million gallons of oil the day before the attack.  She's been leaking a couple of quarts of oil every day since then.

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up in Hawaii (Oahu) so I've been to the Memorial more times than I can remember.

Always a somber visit. Every time.

RIP.

p.s.Thanks to Johnny_Reno for a great thread and thanks to viator for helping us never forget.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

One thing I learned was that she took on 1.5 million gallons of oil the day before the attack.  She's been leaking a couple of quarts of oil every day since then.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are freaking out that the ship may corrode and release a huge spill.  They are looking at ways to pump it out.

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't global warming, rising sea levels show up at this memorial?
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I couldn't believe how much that memorial affected me.... I was speechless and humbled... I just stood there looking over the edge at the oil bubbling up, and it was DUSTY in there!

- Clint
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tonight's featured avatar belongs to the member, viator - a long term member of the site since 2001!

The USS Arizona was the most heavily damaged of all the vessels in Battleship Row, suffering four direct hits from 800-kg bombs. The last bomb to strike her penetrated her deck starboard of turret two and detonated within a 14-inch powder magazine.  She lost 1,177 men that morning, over half of all of the casualties suffered during the entire attack that morning.

The Navy made the ship the official resting place for the men lost that day.  The remaining structure above the waterline was removed over the next year following the attack.  

It was designated a national shrine in 1962 and a memorial was built across the ship's sunken remains.

View Quote

Yep. That's my avatar. My wife took that picture when we visited the memorial a few years ago.

I count among my current immediate friends those who served in the Navy: 4 WW II vets who served in the Pacific Theater (all were engaged in combat), 1 Korean War vet, and, of more recent vintage, a Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewman (SWCC), and a diver.

My dad and my uncle were WWII Army vets who also served in the Pacific Theater.

Never forget.

Edited: I was telling my wife about this thread and she corrected my faulty memory. She took the picture in my avatar.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am 100% sure he has relatives in N.E. Ohio as well.

View Quote

HMMPPH. Like I need an '08er to vouch for me!

You're from the black sheep side of the family, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Poor AZ.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The USS Arizona was the most heavily damaged of all the vessels in Battleship Row, suffering four direct hits from 800-kg bombs. The last bomb to strike her penetrated her deck starboard of turret two and detonated within a 14-inch powder magazine.  She lost 1,177 men that morning, over half of all of the casualties suffered during the entire attack that morning.

Yep. That's my avatar. I took that picture when my wife and I visited the memorial a few years ago.

I count among my current immediate friends those who served in the Navy: 4 WW II vets who served in the Pacific Theater (all were engaged in combat), 1 Korean War vet, and, of more recent vintage, a Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewman (SWCC), and a diver.

My dad and my uncle were WWII Army vets who also served in the Pacific Theater.  Uncle Cal was pretty tight lipped about his experiences wasn't he?  I miss him.

Never forget.

Oops. I wasn't thinking of Uncle Cal when I was naming vets. The uncle I was referring to was my dad's brother Chris. Wasn't Uncle Cal in the Navy?

Neither my dad or either of my two uncles who served in WW II ever mentioned much of anything about the war.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Poor AZ.
View Quote

I disagree,

I know more than a couple youngsters who know EXACTLY, why she lies.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Great job, when my wife and I get to go on Hawaiian vacation I don't care what it costs we will visit the Arizona to pay our respects.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
Farewell to college joys, we sail at break of day-ay-ay-ay;
Through our last night on shore, drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more, here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

May all those sailors rest in peace.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great job, when my wife and I get to go on Hawaiian vacation I don't care what it costs we will visit the Arizona to pay our respects.
View Quote

If you're on Oahu, it'll definitely be worth your time.

I went there back in the late 80s.  There was a group of young Japanese men who had gotten lost.  They could only say A-ree-zone-a. so we knew what they were looking for.  We brought them along with us and it was interesting watching them while they were there - very respectful of the surroundings.

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Very interesting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I've really enjoyed all these threads. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty wild.

That's one thing that stood out to me when I had a chance to visit the memorial.

I didn't realize it was nearly 1,200 men, though!
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you for the history lesson.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool pic

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's pretty wild.

That's one thing that stood out to me when I had a chance to visit the memorial.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty wild.

Not all of the 1,177 men are still inside of the ship.  Many of them were blown over the side or killed on the decks during the battle.  Their bodies would have been recovered afterwards.  IIRC, about 900 men are resting inside of the ship.

Now, an interesting bit of trivia that I learned:

If you served on the ship at some point, after you pass you can get your ashes spread in the water over the ship.

If you are a USS Arizona survivor, after you pass you can get your ashes placed inside of the ship so that you can rejoin your fallen shipmates.

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Excellent post.

Never forget, indeed.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Morning bumpage.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Cool.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:32:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I like these post's. Nice Job
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:43:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Great post
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've really enjoyed all these threads. Thanks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I finally visited the Arizona a couple of years ago, it's an amazing site.

As I stood there on the memorial and looked at the remains of the ship just below the surface, I thought to myself: "So that's what viator's avatar is!"

True story.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Uncle Cal were pretty tight lipped about his experiences wasn't he?  I miss him.  Wasn't your Dad Army Air Corp?  I don't know why I am thinking that.

View Quote

My dad was in the Army. He was part of the occupying force at Hiroshima. His unit was among the first who arrived to secure it.

My FIL was in the Air Corp in WW I. That's no typo. I used to joke that he was in the Air Corp when it had two biplanes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I finally visited the Arizona a couple of years ago, it's an amazing site.

As I stood there on the memorial and looked at the remains of the ship just below the surface, I thought to myself: "So that's what viator's avatar is!"

True story.
View Quote

Wow. Cool story. That's amazing.

Some years ago there was a thread where people offered to resize photos so that they could be used as avatars. Up until that time I had used the generic Team avatar that is a default. I sent my photo to someone in that thread and he kindly cropped it to size and sent it back to me. I've been using that avatar ever since.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not all of the 1,177 men are still inside of the ship.  Many of them were blown over the side or killed on the decks during the battle.  Their bodies would have been recovered afterwards.  IIRC, about 900 men are resting inside of the ship.

If you served on the ship at some point, after you pass you can get your ashes spread in the water over the ship.

If you are a USS Arizona survivor, after you pass you can get your ashes placed inside of the ship so that you can rejoin your fallen shipmates.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty wild.

I just got a cold chill and goosebumps.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I built a model of The U.S.S. Arizona when I was kid.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Great post, didnt even see the oil slick until someone mentioned it, its kind of like the Arizona is still alive with the oil coming out
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#44]
It's a bit dusty in here.

Thanks for doing these threads, OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top