Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:36:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10-35:
Just got back from Battlefield.  What a blast.  Nick took very good care of us.  I noticed everyone coming off the line was smiling.  

My question is this, given the amount of things you see break or jam, what is your got to rifle?  

Thank you.
View Quote

I know this website is called AR15.com but if I take reliability and caliber into consideration, I would have to choose a SCAR 16. I didn't even initially like the rifle but I can't dispute the "facts" of the limited issues we've encountered in almost three years with it.

ETA: I appreciate your support!

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a Beretta ARX-100 yet?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
We can't use reloads because of the terms with our insurance policy. We scrap all the brass for $1.50/lb as of last week. Some of the other reloaders in town wanted us to take less than scrap???

V/R

Ron

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By dillehayd:

Yeah, it was nice and to the point. I chuckled too.

In that vein, I was wondering if you'd considering loading your own ammo?  Your ammo bill must be astoundingly high even though I'm sure you're getting some bulk pricing that would make the rest of us drool.  Do the numbers just not pencil or is that something you just don't want to mess with?

We can't use reloads because of the terms with our insurance policy. We scrap all the brass for $1.50/lb as of last week. Some of the other reloaders in town wanted us to take less than scrap???

V/R

Ron

Brassrats gonna brassrat!

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dillehayd:

Yeah, it was nice and to the point. I chuckled too.

In that vein, I was wondering if you'd considering loading your own ammo?  Your ammo bill must be astoundingly high even though I'm sure you're getting some bulk pricing that would make the rest of us drool.  Do the numbers just not pencil or is that something you just don't want to mess with?

V/R
Ron

I figured there might be a liability issue. $1.50 is well below the going wholesale here though. You might consider getting in touch with Freedom Munitions.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]

I know this website is called AR15.com but if I take reliability and caliber into consideration, I would have to choose a SCAR 16. I didn't even initially like the rifle but I can't dispute the "facts" of the limited issues we've encountered in almost three years with it.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Just got back from Battlefield.  What a blast.  Nick took very good care of us.  I noticed everyone coming off the line was smiling.  

My question is this, given the amount of things you see break or jam, what is your got to rifle?  

Thank you.

V/R
Ron

HA!

now that i have a SCAR 16s I was thinking the same. partly because of what you said but I like how it works, is much cleaner after using and a few other misc things.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Any input on Steyr AUGs?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mrrick:

HA!

now that i have a SCAR 16s I was thinking the same. partly because of what you said but I like how it works, is much cleaner after using and a few other misc things.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mrrick:

Thank you.

V/R
Ron

HA!

Great now I need a SCAR.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
After 17 pages I finally found this thread.

Better later then never.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a question, whats the longest lasting barrel youve had AR or non AR product. And so far whats been the most reliable over all rifle?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Xylene86:

I have a question, whats the longest lasting barrel youve had AR or non AR product. And so far whats been the most reliable over all rifle?

View Quote

You need to keep in mind most of his long lasting barrels are being used at under 25 yards, as long as it's not keyholing at 25 they keep running it.  He has barrels running 100,000rds, but they wouldn't be useable for most people.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

You need to keep in mind most of his long lasting barrels are being used at under 25 yards, as long as it's not keyholing at 25 they keep running it.  He has barrels running 100,000rds, but they wouldn't be useable for most people.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Originally Posted By Xylene86:

I know it's more curiosity as to what's held out the best
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
Go back and read page 8

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By goatmurray:
Any input on Steyr AUGs?
Go back and read page 8

I just checked 7, 8 and 9 and didn't see anything about AUG's.  Musta missed it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By EVR:

I just checked 7, 8 and 9 and didn't see anything about AUG's.  Musta missed it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EVR:
Originally Posted By goatmurray:
Any input on Steyr AUGs?
Go back and read page 8

click
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:52:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Another-Bill] [#15]

First.. that was hilarious! You had me laughing SO hard with the response... I don't think I could have answered it better!

Second, we are about to put twenty Colt LE M4's on the line here shortly. This is the first time we are ever putting so many Colt's on the line but we have had more and more customers request Colt by name. Gamer's and tourists know the Colt by name and ask for it on a regular basis. We have a few Colt's 5.56's as well as 9mm's but we definitely need to update the inventory. We go through these rifles and test-fire them before we do the Post Sample conversion so we are making sure that we aren't starting with a factory rifle with issues and end up blaming the auto conversion. These all ran well as expected right out of the box so the next step is the Form 2 and then "off the to front lines"

V/R

http://i.imgur.com/xNNMVfI.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Esox:

Yeah, that's like asking:  "Ron, have you ever considered ways to make less money?"

FA isn't cheap in many respects. Your best option is to befriend a person with a transferrable MG or a FFL/SOT if you don't want to make the plunge yourself.

First.. that was hilarious! You had me laughing SO hard with the response... I don't think I could have answered it better!

Second, we are about to put twenty Colt LE M4's on the line here shortly. This is the first time we are ever putting so many Colt's on the line but we have had more and more customers request Colt by name. Gamer's and tourists know the Colt by name and ask for it on a regular basis. We have a few Colt's 5.56's as well as 9mm's but we definitely need to update the inventory. We go through these rifles and test-fire them before we do the Post Sample conversion so we are making sure that we aren't starting with a factory rifle with issues and end up blaming the auto conversion. These all ran well as expected right out of the box so the next step is the Form 2 and then "off the to front lines"

V/R

http://i.imgur.com/xNNMVfI.jpg

Which is why I buy Colt. The name Colt is well known and no explanations are needed should you ever want to sell them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Look through the thread, didn't see any mention of PWS.  Have you ever tried any of their rifles out Ron?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I know you are a busy man, but have you given anymore thought about a thread on battle rifles?
FAL, G3, M14 and so on? I mentioned earlier that building FALs is my main addiction. So I would be all ears for something like that!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Someone probably counts them every night.  Someone who's not a Texas Aggie.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By splunkinoob:  Not sure how you find time to post here, looks like an impressive operation and I think we all appreciate the insight.  

Gun inventory management would be my biggest fear, how do you know all your guns are there and accounted for?  Ever worry about your employees stealing?

Someone probably counts them every night.  Someone who's not a Texas Aggie.  

True.  Aggies can only count to 20.  And that's only if they take their shoes off.

Hook 'em.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Fiorina:
I know you are a busy man, but have you given anymore thought about a thread on battle rifles?
FAL, G3, M14 and so on? I mentioned earlier that building FALs is my main addiction. So I would be all ears for something like that!
View Quote

I will definitely do a thread about battle rifles. We have M14's, FAL's, G3', SCAR-H's and many more and I will provide and HONEST review of the different models out there. My intention isn't to trash any particular company but to give an honest review of how they've handled on our range. If it handles well here, it will more than likely, provide you, the purchaser, with a trouble-fee life.

I've been in the "game" for many years and most of what you folks heard about barrel life, receiver life, etc, is what I always took as Gospel. Not until we opened a range that is packed from opening until closing did I get to see what really happens. When I first got out of college, I literally had to watch every single penny I spent and would have to hide a $20 here and $20 there just to purchase a few parts. I felt guilty about it but when you have student loans, mortgage, car loan, two kids (and eventually two more) and every single dollar counts, you have to choose (and purchase) wisely. I'm not in the same position I was 18 years ago but I still find myself living like I am. Once you've been to rock bottom, you learn to make do with what you have and if that meant Tapco furniture on a SKS, then fuck it, I put Tapco furniture on an SKS. I work six days a week and I still feel that I earn every dollar that I have and I'm in no hurry to just spend it foolishly.

I really hope some of what I've posted here can help some of the guys that were in my shoes.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AWDeity:

Hire someone from a local college that likes guns and is very well versed in Excel. When you get a tracking system, you'll start getting a TON of quantifiable data out of the program. You'll probably be surprised at just how good the information you'll gather is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AWDeity:
Originally Posted By ALREB:
I would be interested in your maintenance intervals on these weapons.  Do they get maintenance at certain round counts or just when they start to malfunction? With the number of rounds you are putting through these do you keep track of round count before they require maintenance?

Thanks for the great real world perspective and the time you have spent answering all the questions.

We've thought about that for quite awhile. The problem is the continued growth that we are experiencing. Growth is good thing but it doesn't allow us to put the mechanisms in place to accurately track round count.

Some of the ideas we have are to bar code each weapon so when it goes out on the line, it gets scanned along with the quantity of magazines going along with it. I would have to hire another full-time employee just to handle that procedure. That's not a bad thing because that employee would assemble each of the packages for the RSO and have it ready for them to hit the range. Again, we are still growing and we are probably going to have to expand the range another 14 lanes so that's a priority at this time.

V/R
Ron

Hire someone from a local college that likes guns and is very well versed in Excel. When you get a tracking system, you'll start getting a TON of quantifiable data out of the program. You'll probably be surprised at just how good the information you'll gather is.

I was thinking the same. I just completed a doctorate level statistics course and am fairly fluent in IBM's SPSS program and Excel. If I had the data/spreadsheets I could easily run a few models to prove (or disprove) most of the information gathered.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#21]
This is just an awesome post! Thank you Ron for taking the time to write/respond
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#22]

I will definitely do a thread about battle rifles. We have M14's, FAL's, G3', SCAR-H's and many more and I will provide and HONEST review of the different models out there. My intention isn't to trash any particular company but to give an honest review of how they've handled on our range. If it handles well here, it will more than likely, provide you, the purchaser, with a trouble-fee life.

I've been in the "game" for many years and most of what you folks heard about barrel life, receiver life, etc, is what I always took as Gospel. Not until we opened a range that is packed from opening until closing did I get to see what really happens. When I first got out of college, I literally had to watch every single penny I spent and would have to hide a $20 here and $20 there just to purchase a few parts. I felt guilty about it but when you have student loans, mortgage, car loan, two kids (and eventually two more) and every single dollar counts, you have to choose (and purchase) wisely. I'm not in the same position I was 18 years ago but I still find myself living like I am. Once you've been to rock bottom, you learn to make do with what you have and if that meant Tapco furniture on a SKS, then fuck it, I put Tapco furniture on an SKS. I work six days a week and I still feel that I earn every dollar that I have and I'm in no hurry to just spend it foolishly.

I really hope some of what I've posted here can help some of the guys that were in my shoes.

V/R
Ron

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fiorina:

V/R
Ron

I don't know if I can speak for everyone but, I believe most here really appreciate all the feedback you are providing and even though you try not to call out any manufacturer specifically, the information you are posting gives us a general idea as to what can hold up under hard use and that in itself is valuable information.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MattR:
snip
snip
I was thinking the same. I just completed a doctorate level statistics course and am fairly fluent in IBM's SPSS program and Excel. If I had the data/spreadsheets I could easily run a few models to prove (or disprove) most of the information gathered.
View Quote

It's just not possible for us to implement this in our business model. Could we do it.. sure but the time to try and track this information and the person who could handle it would be in the way. It's a high-paced environment most of the time and minutes are critical to our operation. Customers don't want to wait ONE MINUTE MORE than they have to and even though they are provided with a pager, quite a few will linger at the counter. We are the number one "Fun Attraction" according to TripAdvisor and it's because of our customer service and collecting data that may possibly interfere with customer service isn't worth it.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I know this is thread is for the M4, but I have to ask.....do you have any AC556?
How do they hold up?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Have any feedback for us on the PSA uppers yet?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag. Dont know how I missed this.

I moved away from LV about a month after you opened. I'll be sure to stop in next time I'm in town.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By htomeheb:
Tag. Dont know how I missed this.

I moved away from LV about a month after you opened. I'll be sure to stop in next time I'm in town.

View Quote

We need to have a play date.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Can someone link the thread to his report on pistol performance at his range?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Dampwaffles:
Can someone link the thread to his report on pistol performance at his range?
View Quote

Here you go.

High Round Count Pistols
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone have a link on the AK thread?.....sorry if I missed it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:34:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#31]
Originally Posted By wtwining:
View Quote

Links to all four of these threads:
AK FN Pistols AR15s
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RyJones:

AK FN Pistols AR15s
View All Quotes

AK FN Pistols AR15s

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#33]

AK FN Pistols AR15s
View All Quotes

AK FN Pistols AR15s

and Barrett 50
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome Thread

Thanks for taking the time to share this info.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Folks,

I apologize that I haven't been able to do much updating on the current topics or start the optic thread but I will get to it... just need a little time away from work.

That being said, I posted in this thread awhile back about using the TD-415 (HK 416 clone) upper on the range. It has been working like a champ up until a few days ago. The recoil spring appears to have failed. It didn't break but you can tell by looking at it that something happened to it. We had a customer that wanted to shoot THAT gun so we pulled the recoil rod and spring assembly from our broken HK MR556 unit and got it up and running.

The one thing that we did with the TD-415 upper different from the factory MR556 is that the TD unit has had a suppressor on it since day one. That's a LOT more gas and pressure and it's been on the line every day since my original post. I can't give you an accurate or even ballpark round count as I haven't had time to check the maintenance logs. I thought I would just give you an update on that specific unit since quite a few people asked me my opinion about it. That being said, I really like the upper. It cleans up easy and other than every single round being shot through it is suppressed and 90% of that being full-auto, just a spring failing seems like a minor issue.

I just received another TD upper after waiting for about 6 weeks after I paid for it. This one is the 10" model and we don't plan on suppressing this one so let's see how much longer we get out of the recoil spring.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Folks,

I apologize that I haven't been able to do much updating on the current topics or start the optic thread but I will get to it... just need a little time away from work.

That being said, I posted in this thread awhile back about using the TD-415 (HK 416 clone) upper on the range. It has been working like a champ up until a few days ago. The recoil spring appears to have failed. It didn't break but you can tell by looking at it that something happened to it. We had a customer that wanted to shoot THAT gun so we pulled the recoil rod and spring assembly from our broken HK MR556 unit and got it up and running.

The one thing that we did with the TD-415 upper different from the factory MR556 is that the TD unit has had a suppressor on it since day one. That's a LOT more gas and pressure and it's been on the line every day since my original post. I can't give you an accurate or even ballpark round count as I haven't had time to check the maintenance logs. I thought I would just give you an update on that specific unit since quite a few people asked me my opinion about it. That being said, I really like the upper. It cleans up easy and other than every single round being shot through it is suppressed and 90% of that being full-auto, just a spring failing seems like a minor issue.

I just received another TD upper after waiting for about 6 weeks after I paid for it. This one is the 10" model and we don't plan on suppressing this one so let's see how much longer we get out of the recoil spring.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Nice, thanks for the update. Seeing your updates with the TD upper makes me every bit of confident on one. Will hopefully get one soon, just hope they continue to make one. lol
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:
Nice, thanks for the update. Seeing your updates with the TD upper makes me every bit of confident on one. Will hopefully get one soon, just hope they continue to make one. lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

Folks,

V/R

Ron

Where is everyone getting a Titan Defense 416? I want one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Folks,

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Ron, I received my 10" upper last week after a 6 1/2 week wait, and cannot wait to see your feedback on this version after some rounds. Yours will see vastly more rounds than I will ever be able to put through mine. Have you been able to source TD parts from anywhere?

"Thank you" for your honest reviews, as your feedback on the TD-415 pushed me to finally make the purchase for my next build!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Valintino:

View Quote

Yeah, I know! I only see them on gunbroker and I can't find a website on them or do any other research on them....I mean, who the hell is making them?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Yeah, I know! I only see them on gunbroker and I can't find a website on them or do any other research on them....I mean, who the hell is making them?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Valintino:

From what I can gather, they are the same maker as Cohaire Arms, Special Weapons, etc.

We paid for the 10" upper six weeks (honestly, it may have been longer) and after waiting and waiting and waiting, one of my managers filed a claim with Gunbroker (not that it would help) to make sure we had a record of it. I can't remember if it was the email or the address of the location, but something in one of the email responses clued me into who the maker is.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:59:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wtwining] [#42]

From what I can gather, they are the same maker as Cohaire Arms, Special Weapons, etc.

We paid for the 10" upper six weeks (honestly, it may have been longer) and after waiting and waiting and waiting, one of my managers filed a claim with Gunbroker (not that it would help) to make sure we had a record of it. I can't remember if it was the email or the address of the location, but something in one of the email responses clued me into who the maker is.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Well, that sounds about right!..

BTW, do you have any AC556?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Haven't read this thread yet because it's so long but I will.  If it's already been talked about could someone point me in the right direction but how do Colt barrels and bolts hold up and Colt rifles in general?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
Haven't read this thread yet because it's so long but I will.  If it's already been talked about could someone point me in the right direction but how do Colt barrels and bolts hold up and Colt rifles in general?
View Quote

I think he said they just got a handful of Colt uppers so time will tell once the round count gets higher.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Ever have any auto sears break/fail? Of all the lower parts, it seems to me like this part would get the most abuse.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By peekay:
Ever have any auto sears break/fail? Of all the lower parts, it seems to me like this part would get the most abuse.
View Quote

The auto sear doesn't see a lot of force. Just a tap from the bolt carrier and sliding across the hook on the hammer.

I wouldn't think that the auto sear would really be a wear item.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By peekay:
View Quote

No, we have yet to lose an auto sear.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#48]

You couldn't be any further from the truth with your opinion but I will enlighten you about what we do and how we do it.

First, every single day that I am there (and I work six days a week at least 10-12 hours a day) I hear "oh my God.. I had no clue that's what it's really like" or "how did those guys do it during (insert WWII, Korea, Vietnam, OIF, OEF)" and the "wow.. I never wanted to touch a gun in my life but that's the most fun I think I've ever had". The customers DO walk away with an appreciation that THEY have because 90% of our guests don't own a weapon, let alone have ever seen a real, functioning example in person. Their only knowledge of a gun is from a movie where some actor holds two Uzi's or AK's and sprays across the scene killing every bad guy in sight. My staff are allowed to talk ZERO politics with guests and it always puts a smile on my face when I hear "I am from NYC/San Francisco and we just don't like guns but wow... that was SO different than what I thought it was going to be like... can I buy something like this where I live".  

Now, add to the fact that over 90% (actually higher but I don't have the time to do the math) of my staff are either prior service or still in the Guard/Reserves and the respect and appreciation factor just doubled with our guests. Every single one of my RSO's is prior service or Guard/Reserves (as well as all our drivers and my managers) and a majority of them are OIF/OEF combat vets. You can hear their appreciation when they start asking "so ALL of you were in the military.. my gosh, thank you so much for your service (and I would bet 99 out of 100 people have never uttered those words in their life).

As for the making money comment... I don't employ 58 people just to give me something to do, of course it's to make money just like any other business model. It's called capitalism and that's what we do. I don't judge people for their occupations because as long as it's legal and you feel comfortable with it, all the power to you.

I deal with GI's everyday that have heavy baggage they brought home with them from Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody ever says the "PTSD" word because the minute you do, you're a "faggot" or "pussy". Meanwhile, as the employer I see it through their eyes and hear it in their words. I feel that I have a VERY generous policy towards PTO and if things are bugging you, take it. It also means that if you need to change from RSO to driver or driver to armorer, then so be it. It's put us in a bind more than once but since I claim we provide a "military experience", I as the employer, am also working in a "military experience". Everyday isn't sunshine and roses but I wouldn't trade a single one of my staff because they each bring their own "military experience" to work with them and that is what's made us so successful. I could go on and on about my staff because I know each of them by their name and they continue to raise the bar on what I think model employees should be. Quite a few of my guys are still in their twenties and medically retired from injuries they sustained while overseas. It lays heavy on my heart how these young men are so physically and emotionally damaged (IED's, blast injuries, falls, etc) but we adjust OUR schedule around them, not like most standard businesses.

Lastly, there are places like the ones you described here in Vegas. I know for a fact they are in it for the money and it's just an equation of how many customers can they get through the door and how fast can they get them through. They have the "gun girl" RSO's with hot pants, fishnet stockings and low-cut tops and that's 100% fine with me. They are providing a service to customers and they providing jobs. My problem is when they endanger employees and customers with shitty safety practices. We try to avoid hiring staff from other ranges because nobody wants retreads from places with bad practices but occasionally there are some gems among them. I know exactly how many ranges can give two shits about employees and lead hazards, throwing away filters contaminated with lead right into the garbage, writing employees up and firing them for having high lead levels (so OSHA doesn't find out how bad things are) or the TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars we spend each month to ensure a safe environment for both my staff and guests. That may seem like a stretch to some of you but trust me, I would rather be spending that kind of money each month on something else but it what it is. It's the cost of doing business and keeping my staff safe.

As for the little girl in Arizona, the day that happened I had SO many of my RSO's come up to me and say, "damn Doc, you're right about those mini subguns". My staff had always asked for them (and the new RSO's as they came on board) but I always told them no little subguns unless we have a front strap for the wrist AND a suppressor. I must give credit to Tony D over at The Gun Store because he's the one that advised me specifically against the micro or mini Uzi's because of the rate of fire and transfer of weight with the heavy bolt causing the weapon to act like a teeter totter. I do have MAC's (.45, 9mm,.380) but again, they have huge and heavy Bower's suppressors to keep them down. Also, my staff has ALWAYS had the discretion to choose if a customer is suited for a particular weapon. If my RSO's don't feel comfortable with the customer and the weapons they chose, they are getting substituted with something can do and I usually refund the customer as well. It's worth the extra ammo so everybody is comfortable.

One last word about my staff. I hired a new driver two weeks ago. He initially turned in an application four weeks prior but let one of my managers know that he had used marijuana three weeks prior. My manager told him that we drug test and it wasn't a good idea to submit an application. He did come back in after waiting about three weeks and my manager spotted him submitting the application. He notified me and I told him lets review his application before just tossing it. Everything looked good; infantry E5 who was running and gunning and DD-214 matched up with application. I told my manager to go ahead and interview him on the spot. After all was said and done about his service, he called him out on smoking pot. He admitted that he's had issues adjusting since being home and he was hoping that it would help him relax but instead made him more depressed. He said he heard about a place where it' mostly GI's working together in a military-style environment and he was hoping he would fit in. I told my manager to hire him on the spot and start issuing him uniform, boots and get him out for a whiz quiz and background check ASAP. Two days later he walked up to me and asked if he could talk. I said of course as my staff know that I have an open-door policy for personal matters. He told me that he thinks this is the best thing that's ever happened. He said he's tried to get jobs at other places but when you go from 100 miles per hour to zero it hits you hard. When just a couple months ago when you were shooting people down range and you have your boys with you everyday life gets turned upside down when you can't talk about it with fellow employees who will think you're crazy and going to do something stupid. He looked at me with those same eyes I get from so many of the staff and said thank you for doing this. He said he needed to get back in uniform, he needed to talk to guys who are on his level and have been there, done that and can cope with words that come out of his mouth.

So, I am 100% at ease with myself, my business practices, my staff and the experiences that I feel our guests truly do appreciate here at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snoopfighter:
Respect for Ron and the fact he has access to high round count weapons.  Maybe he can speak to what I am about to say at a greater length.  

That said, civilians blowing through rounds full auto sickens me.

Everything gun related in Vegas (besides SHOT, which has its nauseating moments) is made to make money.  Not even remotely educate civilians on military grade firearms.  It's basically a "take a picture of me with this gun" and the whole thing lasts under 15 minutes (if even).  

Sad thing is, civs walk away thinking they have an appreciation for the kind of hardward they just used when it is anything but the case.  I don't know Ron's operation and maybe he's one of the few out there that has some ethics behind his business, but most don't.  See 9 year old girl with uzi.

You couldn't be any further from the truth with your opinion but I will enlighten you about what we do and how we do it.

First, every single day that I am there (and I work six days a week at least 10-12 hours a day) I hear "oh my God.. I had no clue that's what it's really like" or "how did those guys do it during (insert WWII, Korea, Vietnam, OIF, OEF)" and the "wow.. I never wanted to touch a gun in my life but that's the most fun I think I've ever had". The customers DO walk away with an appreciation that THEY have because 90% of our guests don't own a weapon, let alone have ever seen a real, functioning example in person. Their only knowledge of a gun is from a movie where some actor holds two Uzi's or AK's and sprays across the scene killing every bad guy in sight. My staff are allowed to talk ZERO politics with guests and it always puts a smile on my face when I hear "I am from NYC/San Francisco and we just don't like guns but wow... that was SO different than what I thought it was going to be like... can I buy something like this where I live".  

Now, add to the fact that over 90% (actually higher but I don't have the time to do the math) of my staff are either prior service or still in the Guard/Reserves and the respect and appreciation factor just doubled with our guests. Every single one of my RSO's is prior service or Guard/Reserves (as well as all our drivers and my managers) and a majority of them are OIF/OEF combat vets. You can hear their appreciation when they start asking "so ALL of you were in the military.. my gosh, thank you so much for your service (and I would bet 99 out of 100 people have never uttered those words in their life).

As for the making money comment... I don't employ 58 people just to give me something to do, of course it's to make money just like any other business model. It's called capitalism and that's what we do. I don't judge people for their occupations because as long as it's legal and you feel comfortable with it, all the power to you.

I deal with GI's everyday that have heavy baggage they brought home with them from Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody ever says the "PTSD" word because the minute you do, you're a "faggot" or "pussy". Meanwhile, as the employer I see it through their eyes and hear it in their words. I feel that I have a VERY generous policy towards PTO and if things are bugging you, take it. It also means that if you need to change from RSO to driver or driver to armorer, then so be it. It's put us in a bind more than once but since I claim we provide a "military experience", I as the employer, am also working in a "military experience". Everyday isn't sunshine and roses but I wouldn't trade a single one of my staff because they each bring their own "military experience" to work with them and that is what's made us so successful. I could go on and on about my staff because I know each of them by their name and they continue to raise the bar on what I think model employees should be. Quite a few of my guys are still in their twenties and medically retired from injuries they sustained while overseas. It lays heavy on my heart how these young men are so physically and emotionally damaged (IED's, blast injuries, falls, etc) but we adjust OUR schedule around them, not like most standard businesses.

Lastly, there are places like the ones you described here in Vegas. I know for a fact they are in it for the money and it's just an equation of how many customers can they get through the door and how fast can they get them through. They have the "gun girl" RSO's with hot pants, fishnet stockings and low-cut tops and that's 100% fine with me. They are providing a service to customers and they providing jobs. My problem is when they endanger employees and customers with shitty safety practices. We try to avoid hiring staff from other ranges because nobody wants retreads from places with bad practices but occasionally there are some gems among them. I know exactly how many ranges can give two shits about employees and lead hazards, throwing away filters contaminated with lead right into the garbage, writing employees up and firing them for having high lead levels (so OSHA doesn't find out how bad things are) or the TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars we spend each month to ensure a safe environment for both my staff and guests. That may seem like a stretch to some of you but trust me, I would rather be spending that kind of money each month on something else but it what it is. It's the cost of doing business and keeping my staff safe.

As for the little girl in Arizona, the day that happened I had SO many of my RSO's come up to me and say, "damn Doc, you're right about those mini subguns". My staff had always asked for them (and the new RSO's as they came on board) but I always told them no little subguns unless we have a front strap for the wrist AND a suppressor. I must give credit to Tony D over at The Gun Store because he's the one that advised me specifically against the micro or mini Uzi's because of the rate of fire and transfer of weight with the heavy bolt causing the weapon to act like a teeter totter. I do have MAC's (.45, 9mm,.380) but again, they have huge and heavy Bower's suppressors to keep them down. Also, my staff has ALWAYS had the discretion to choose if a customer is suited for a particular weapon. If my RSO's don't feel comfortable with the customer and the weapons they chose, they are getting substituted with something can do and I usually refund the customer as well. It's worth the extra ammo so everybody is comfortable.

One last word about my staff. I hired a new driver two weeks ago. He initially turned in an application four weeks prior but let one of my managers know that he had used marijuana three weeks prior. My manager told him that we drug test and it wasn't a good idea to submit an application. He did come back in after waiting about three weeks and my manager spotted him submitting the application. He notified me and I told him lets review his application before just tossing it. Everything looked good; infantry E5 who was running and gunning and DD-214 matched up with application. I told my manager to go ahead and interview him on the spot. After all was said and done about his service, he called him out on smoking pot. He admitted that he's had issues adjusting since being home and he was hoping that it would help him relax but instead made him more depressed. He said he heard about a place where it' mostly GI's working together in a military-style environment and he was hoping he would fit in. I told my manager to hire him on the spot and start issuing him uniform, boots and get him out for a whiz quiz and background check ASAP. Two days later he walked up to me and asked if he could talk. I said of course as my staff know that I have an open-door policy for personal matters. He told me that he thinks this is the best thing that's ever happened. He said he's tried to get jobs at other places but when you go from 100 miles per hour to zero it hits you hard. When just a couple months ago when you were shooting people down range and you have your boys with you everyday life gets turned upside down when you can't talk about it with fellow employees who will think you're crazy and going to do something stupid. He looked at me with those same eyes I get from so many of the staff and said thank you for doing this. He said he needed to get back in uniform, he needed to talk to guys who are on his level and have been there, done that and can cope with words that come out of his mouth.

So, I am 100% at ease with myself, my business practices, my staff and the experiences that I feel our guests truly do appreciate here at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron

This is probably one of the best threads I've ever read, but reading this made it even better. Thank you for sharing everything with us and being such an honest and open book. I've never really cared to visit Las Vegas. My wife wanted me to go with her last time, but I opted to let her just go with her Mom since I don't like gambling or watching "shows". I cant wait to get out there and meet your team and hopefully shake your hand, too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#49]

V/R
Ron

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snoopfighter:
Respect for Ron and the fact he has access to high round count weapons.  Maybe he can speak to what I am about to say at a greater length.  

That said, civilians blowing through rounds full auto sickens me.

Everything gun related in Vegas (besides SHOT, which has its nauseating moments) is made to make money.  Not even remotely educate civilians on military grade firearms.  It's basically a "take a picture of me with this gun" and the whole thing lasts under 15 minutes (if even).  

Sad thing is, civs walk away thinking they have an appreciation for the kind of hardward they just used when it is anything but the case.  I don't know Ron's operation and maybe he's one of the few out there that has some ethics behind his business, but most don't.  See 9 year old girl with uzi.

V/R
Ron

This is probably one of the best threads I've ever read, but reading this made it even better. Thank you for sharing everything with us and being such an honest and open book. I've never really cared to visit Las Vegas. My wife wanted me to go with her last time, but I opted to let her just go with her Mom since I don't like gambling or watching "shows". I cant wait to get out there and meet your team and hopefully shake your hand, too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:20:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Hi Ron,
Were you able to determine the manufacturer of those Korean quad rails you mentioned earlier in the thread?
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top