Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/12/2015 12:23:25 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I had a long conversation with a technician about our Barrett M107A1 that has a minimum of 6,500 verified rounds through it. The reason I say verified is because I can track how many times/rounds have been used through it by receipts but we used it for two years at our outdoor range but never tracked round count. It would be fair to say that we had at least another 2,000 rounds go through it during that time period.

After all those rounds, I was very impressed to hear that it just barely closed on the NO-GO headspace gauge. A few springs and pins will be replaced by the tech's at Barrett but other than that, this rifle has held up. We are going to upgrade the rifle so we can use a suppressor from now on but that says a A LOT about how well the weapon is made.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
a h yeppppp
i'll probably die before i get  a round count that hi...
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
We TI'ed a bunch for the Marine Corps once before their change over to the full length rail version. They came with their issued round count books.
Some of them had upwards of 8k down the barrel and still held open on no-go. We bore scoped them and found the throats weren't in that bad a condition. The high vanadium content of the barrels that Barrett uses probably contributes to this.

We had seen quite a few rifles with considerably high round counts that needed nothing more than new barrel battery bumpers and barrel springs. And a new parkerizing job.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to hear, current 82 owner and want to upgrade to 107, but concerned about how the 107 would hold up.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:42:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad to hear, current 82 owner and want to upgrade to 107, but concerned about how the 107 would hold up.

View Quote

It's the same rifle. Just cosmetic differences.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 3:22:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah yep
spiked feet on pod
heaver eject spring
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, what kind of maintenance was performed so far on that rifle?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ah yep
spiked feet on pod
heaver eject spring
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah yep
spiked feet on pod
heaver eject spring

Well the upper receiver is lightweight aluminum instead of steel, but it seems to hold up very well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Not the most accurate but reliable, durable, and pretty damn safe(after seeing a pic of one that exploded).

3 out of 4 aint bad...
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well the upper receiver is lightweight aluminum instead of steel, but it seems to hold up very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah yep
spiked feet on pod
heaver eject spring

You mean the 107 A1 then. The aluminum uppers are pretty nice. The steel parts have screws to hold them in place instead of welded in like the 4140 upper.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, what kind of maintenance was performed so far on that rifle?
View Quote

All of our rifles get an inspection each morning and at the end of business each day. The Barrett in particular is cleaned each Sunday and entered into the weapons maintenance log. Also, anytime a part breaks (trigger pin, spring, etc) it is noted in the maintenance log.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The high vanadium content of the barrels that Barrett uses probably contributes to this.
View Quote

Is this Barret exclusive or do other 50 BMG manufactures do this?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You mean the 107 A1 then. The aluminum uppers are pretty nice. The steel parts have screws to hold them in place instead of welded in like the 4140 upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah yep
spiked feet on pod
heaver eject spring

Oh, the 107 are steel uppers and the A1s have the aluminum?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The high vanadium content of the barrels that Barrett uses probably contributes to this.

Depends on which barrel manufacturer you buy from. Fedderson in Knoxville, Tn uses a high vanadium content.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh, the 107 are steel uppers and the A1s have the aluminum?
View Quote

Yes, when you are talking M107's. Barrett experimented with the aluminum upper long before the M107, they just made it "New"  well into civilian sales of the 107 variant.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
awesome. 107a1 it is. Ive been stuck between this an and m2 for like a month.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#16]
After all those rounds have been through it and spoke to their tech at Barrett, I went with his "recommended" upgrades instead of the "required" repairs. The cost was $2,700+ for the rebuild but money well spent.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
After all those rounds have been through it and spoke to their tech at Barrett, I went with his "recommended" upgrades instead of the "required" repairs. The cost was $2,700+ for the rebuild but money well spent.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

What did they recommend? Did you send it in to be inspected?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V/R
Ron

I have the copy at the office but we knew it had such a high round count and even though it gauged within spec's on the headspace gauge, I felt more comfortable with the factory putting their hands on it. We made them aware of the high round count so they gave it a thorough inspection.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You and me both.  CWA makes the finest semi-M2/M3s there are IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. The fluted bbl and FH and flip up sights are so cool, plus I have like 500 linked rounds. But dat portability doe
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have a M3HB from JnC Manufacturing that we purchased over four years ago that gets run DAILY and it continues to run like a beast. My staff pic the M3HB over the factory USGI M2HB every single time.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I know. The fluted bbl and FH and flip up sights are so cool, plus I have like 500 linked rounds. But dat portability doe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Any pitting/etching on the bolt face?
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top