Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Posted: 5/25/2015 1:37:09 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I have been answering questions for the AK guys for about two weeks now regarding AK's with 100,000+ rounds and what type of issues we see. Well, we have pistols that have over 100,000 rounds and I can provide a little info.

The background for the high round count is that we are rental-only range one block off the Las Vegas Strip (called Battlefield Vegas) and after all the talk about AK's, I completely spaced on the reliability of the pistols we use on the line everyday of the year except for Christmas. We go through approximately 150,000-180,000 rounds combined of 9mm, .45, .50AE, .500S&W, .38 Special, .380 and 9mm Makarov each month. I don't count .22 because even though we go through 1,000's of rounds, it's not in the same class as our standard calibers.

I can tell you that even though I am not a "Glock guy", it is the most reliable handgun in our inventory and I would trust it with my life. We use Gen1-Gen4 17's on the line and they are the most hassle-free handgun we have. I used my original Gen1 17 when we first opened two and a half years ago and it finally broke about six months ago. When I say broke, Glock's pretty much are the only handgun that suffer a "catastrophic" break. The slide cracks right at the narrow portion at the ejection port. They will continue to fire most of the time but the rounds group at the top right corner of the target. The factory recoil springs are amazing because the just keep going. The Glock gets used probably 10X as much as our Beretta M92's so it's not a fair to say the Beretta is more reliable (see below). We don't use aftermarket slides on our Glocks so I couldn't give you any info those because Glock will replace our cracked slides under warranty. Also, I don't meant to give the impression that breake slides all the time but it would be fair to say that they get at least 100,000 rounds before cracking.

My personal favorite, the Sig P226 doesn't fair as well. We go through more recoil springs in our 226's than any other weapon system combined. We've yet to break a slide but they will not function with a broken recoil spring.

Our Desert Eagle .50AE's run pretty reliable but the part that fails the most is the piston. We always have a few spares in the shop.

Our Beretta M92's...the one that all the RSO's hate, also hold up very well. In the last two years with the same four Beretta's, we've only replaced one barrel and "locking piece" that sits under the barrel. The M92 is only included in one package that we offer or the customer has to request that pistol specifically. It doesn't get run nearly as hard as the 1911's, Glock's or Sig's.

I will get more info on our 1911's (we use Sig, Springfield and Armscor) and I know I see them tagged for repair more often than the other pistols. I will find out what is the most common issue.

V/R
Ron M Cheney

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent information...can't wait to read more.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have any Glock 18s?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
Do you have any Glock 18s?
View Quote

We have several select-fire Glock's but none of them are factory 18's. They hold up just the same as the standard Glock 17's.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
How about XD's?

Do Smith or Ruger revolvers hold up better?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#6]
In on this thread. Thanks for posting. Very interested in any more information you have.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
What brand of ammo do you run?

Do you sell the ammo by the magazine or by the box?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you give any info on the SIG frame rail wear ? . SIG owners seem to really freak out if the rails get a shiny silver color.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to hijack, but only provide high round count 1911s, here's a post from Louder than words where a guy has a 103k+ round SA operator. Gunsmith Ned Christiansen works in the gun and provided the pics.

linky
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 1MRBEAN:
Can you give any info on the SIG frame rail wear ? . SIG owners seem to really freak out if the rails get a shiny silver color.
View Quote

This. I'm interested in seeing the frame rail wear on a SIG Sauer with a high round count, as well as how many rounds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Yoda_USAF:

This. I'm interested in seeing the frame rail wear on a SIG Sauer with a high round count, as well as how many rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I will get some pics tomorrow. I can't see I've heard of any Sig problems because in the last two and half years we have not removed a single 226 from the firing line (other than recoil spring replacement of course).

The guns that we have replaced are Sig Mosquitos and Walther P-22's. We must have returned at least 12-15 of each model since opening. We retired all the Sig and Walther .22's and replaced them with the Glock .22 conversions. The RSO's love them because the continue to run and don't become Jam-O-Matic's if they don't get cleaned every other day. The Sig's and Walther's suffered catastrophic failures of the slide. The Sig's cracked at the narrow portion of the ejection port and the Walther's cracked about an inch from the muzzle.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:35:33 AM EDT
[#12]
got any hk p30? thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd be interested to see how you track the round counts and failures on each gun in your inventory
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#14]
In for info on the 1911s. Specifically the springfield flavors..
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:36:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I could only dream of going through ten's of thousands of rounds each month.  Damn, that is a lot of ammo.  I'm fortunate enough to go through 1000 rounds of .22lr during one open day at the firing range when all goes well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#16]
How are the M&P Pro 9mm 5 inch holding up?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#17]
On the Glocks- is the frame cracking something you see a lot of ? The reason I ask is there is no shortage of high round count Glocks  (100,000 + Rnds) still going while only having normal wear parts replaced on the weapon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Pics?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Love your threads! You have the perfect setup to collect some really useful data. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Real world performance; thanks.

More please.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

In for the answer. I was going to post the same question.

Also, I have always been advised to pay close attention to the lubrication of SIG slides including the type of lube, frequency of lube and placement of lube. In my experience rental guns tend to be rode hard and put away wet. Does your shop pay any special attention to the SIG rentals?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:32:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillyDoubleU] [#22]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

Also, I have always been advised to pay close attention to the lubrication of SIG slides including the type of lube, frequency of lube and placement of lube. In my experience rental guns tend to be rode hard and put away wet. Does your shop pay any special attention to the SIG rentals?
View All Quotes

+1

TW25B bottom lip of the rails specifically.

I'm over 5k through my 226R. I swapped out the factory recoil spring and plastic guide rod at 1k rounds (was plastic). Replaced them with a fat stainless guide rod and Pink +P power springs from Gray guns. They are for hotter loads but I run standard pressure through it. After 4k rounds it is still has more snap then a factory spring.

Actually I just saw they have them for the 229 as well... Though it actually came with a metal one, don't know if I want to mess with it. Had to have the barrel replaced initially before it started working...
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

I will get some pics tomorrow. I can't see I've heard of any Sig problems because in the last two and half years we have not removed a single 226 from the firing line (other than recoil spring replacement of course).

The guns that we have replaced are Sig Mosquitos and Walther P-22's. We must have returned at least 12-15 of each model since opening. We retired all the Sig and Walther .22's and replaced them with the Glock .22 conversions. The RSO's love them because the continue to run and don't become Jam-O-Matic's if they don't get cleaned every other day. The Sig's and Walther's suffered catastrophic failures of the slide. The Sig's cracked at the narrow portion of the ejection port and the Walther's cracked about an inch from the muzzle.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Which Glock .22 conversion do you use?  Any other tidbits would be interesting (any break in required, ammo that is great or causes problems, etc.)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting stuff, OST.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By M4:
Interesting stuff, OST.
View Quote

I am interested to see some pictures of these high round count pistols.  I have never even come close to that mileage on any of my pistol nor could I afford to.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#26]
FWIW my P226 DAK has about 12k rounds through it and there is virtually no frame rail wear.  I do liberally grease the rails and clean and re-lube after each range trip.  My first P226, which never got greased, showed a fair amount of wear after 3k rounds or so.  Lesson learned there.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Mike92GT:
FWIW my P226 DAK has about 12k rounds through it and there is virtually no frame rail wear.  I do liberally grease the rails and clean and re-lube after each range trip.  My first P226, which never got greased, showed a fair amount of wear after 3k rounds or so.  Lesson learned there.

View All Quotes

I was using Rem oil for a bit, switched to CLP then to TW25B. Got some wear but nothing I'm worried about. Mostly on the top rear at the hammer left side.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice

Not surprised that the G17, 92FS, and P226 hold up to high round counts with ease.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Good info, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#30]
My Glock 19 wore out an extractor after the 32,000 round point. the replacement is still going strong.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I love this info and I love my Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I will sign back on later tonight to try and answer some questions but here's a Glock 17 Gen 4 that was just brought into my office. We haven't had a Glock slide brake like this before.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#33]

I will sign back on later tonight to try and answer some questions but here's a Glock 17 Gen 4 that was just brought into my office. We haven't had a Glock slide brake like this before.

http://i.imgur.com/XIgppci.jpg
View Quote
LOL so much for perfection .  Must be made from that cheap Chinese pot metal

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I'm feeling pretty good about my Gen3s right about now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice to know the weak link of the P226 is the recoil spring. I'll order a couple spares :)
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL:

View Quote

We are a 100% rental range only. Customers don't bring their firearms and rent lanes. We cater to the tourist market here in Las Vegas. An example is an MP5 rental. A guest can come in and rent an MP5 or Uzi for $29 and that includes one 25-round magazine, eye/ear protection and target. Also, we load the weapon for the customer and the RSO hands it over to the customer and then we take control of the weapon as soon as it's empty.

As for ammo, we use Magtech ammo for most of the handgun calibers, Privi Partizan for .30-06, .308, .303Brit, 8mm Mauser and a couple of the larger handgun calibers. When it comes to quality control, I will say that Magtech has the least issues but they ALL have provided us ammo with an upside primer or a bullet seated upside down.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Interesting to hear all this. Do you happen to know the round counts on the Berettas and Sigs? It seems everybody thinks aluminum framed guns are weak and don't last. A broken recoil spring is easy to fix but a cracked frame rail is a big deal. Do you use factory coiled Sig recoil springs? It seems these should resist breaking a lot better than like a wolff regular recoil spring.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Any idea how many rounds?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Here is a Sig P226 Mk25 that's been on the line for at the very minimum of one year. You can see that there is a slightly shiny edge (photo looks worse than actual weapon) where the slide and frame come in contact. The only rear wear on the weapon is on the outside from handling.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Very cool!  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#41]

We are a 100% rental range only. Customers don't bring their firearms and rent lanes. We cater to the tourist market here in Las Vegas. An example is an MP5 rental. A guest can come in and rent an MP5 or Uzi for $29 and that includes one 25-round magazine, eye/ear protection and target. Also, we load the weapon for the customer and the RSO hands it over to the customer and then we take control of the weapon as soon as it's empty.

As for ammo, we use Magtech ammo for most of the handgun calibers, Privi Partizan for .30-06, .308, .303Brit, 8mm Mauser and a couple of the larger handgun calibers. When it comes to quality control, I will say that Magtech has the least issues but they ALL have provided us ammo with an upside primer or a bullet seated upside down.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

This is good to know, as I've been stacking this deep as of late.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Oooooo, I would be PISSED!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By pokey074:

View All Quotes

You should get used to it.

The slide or a frame rail breaking off is not all that uncommon...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By samuse:

View All Quotes

Glock sub'ing out their slide production to HiPoint?

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I am digging the pictures of these pistols!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By wganz:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wganz:

No Beretta.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Thanks OP!  I have a Q. about a pistol most Americans have never even heard of:  the 75 or CZ-75.  

These have only been around since the early 1980s which makes them brand new to most gun enthusiasts.

Most times at the range, I'll get one or two shooters asking "whuz zat??" When they see one of my 75s - but then thy get all huffy if I refer to their 1911 as a "Colt 45" or call their Taurus a "Smith and Wesson."

Anywho, does your range have any 75s for rent?  If so, how do they hold up?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 2IS:
Nice to know the weak link of the P226 is the recoil spring. I'll order a couple spares :)
View Quote

I've been told that the trigger bar spring in the classic SIG Sauers is also a weak link so it might be a good idea to have an extra one because it's a show-stopper if it breaks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#49]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Interesting, why do you use Magtech? Do they give good discount prices to ranges? It's been maybe two years since I've shot any but when I did it was excessively dirty, I would think that would be a hindrance with rental guns as you would need to clean them more often, however that's what a few local places run in their rental guns as well.

I work across the street from their corporate headquarters so I figured the local ranges used it because of convenience.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By seamasterpro:

Interesting, why do you use Magtech? Do they give good discount prices to ranges? It's been maybe two years since I've shot any but when I did it was excessively dirty, I would think that would be a hindrance with rental guns as you would need to clean them more often, however that's what a few local places run in their rental guns as well.

I work across the street from their corporate headquarters so I figured the local ranges used it because of convenience.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By seamasterpro:

V/R
Ron

We use their ammo for several reasons.. honesty, quality and reliability. We've dealt with Federal/ATK over the years and THE MOMENT there is any type of ammo hysteria they will immediately cancel all existing orders and be gracious enough to let us re-order the same ammo at a higher price. Magtech has never pulled that on us and always kept an open order regardless of any sales hype. The ammo has always run clean in our weapons and the ammo has been consistent from lot to lot. Lastly, all of our weapons function on it where others are loaded to light or primers back out and jam the weapons.

The honesty is the biggest concern for me because there's nothing like getting an email from Federal ATK saying that all the ammo that we agreed to sell you two months ago is much more valuable now and we are going back on our word.

V/R
Ron
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top