You probably could sell them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aeain:

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Originally Posted By Augee:

Well, this is what I came up with last Saturday. Just some 85lb monofilament and a few crimps.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/JPEGimage-373DE23B6868-12_zps219b3a24.jpeg

Utah, the perennial over-achiever.  

Looks slick, I'll give ya that, I've always just used a simple loop of 550 cord and called it a day (or night?).  

~Augee

Anything worth doing is worth OVERdoing, right? Maybe I should crimp up a few boxes of these things and sell 'em.

So y'all like 'em, huh? I just finished them out with a little bit of heat-shrink tubing.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]

So y'all like 'em, huh? I just finished them out with a little bit of heat-shrink tubing.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/IMG_0007_zps17dd0270.jpg

View All Quotes

Well, this is what I came up with last Saturday. Just some 85lb monofilament and a few crimps.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/JPEGimage-373DE23B6868-12_zps219b3a24.jpeg

Looks slick, I'll give ya that, I've always just used a simple loop of 550 cord and called it a day (or night?).  

~Augee

Anything worth doing is worth OVERdoing, right? Maybe I should crimp up a few boxes of these things and sell 'em.

That's some serious dedication!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By TheArizonaCowboy:

That's some serious dedication!
View Quote

What can I say - I'm a perfectionist.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

~Augee

Like em? Not really

Think they could sell? Most likely
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If you market them on eBay as "Mark 1 Mod 0 Tier 1 DEVGRU chem light holders" you could sell them for $20 a pop.

On another note, how about just taking the length of fishing line, tying knots in either end, then over lap them in the middle and use the heat shrink to hold them together?  Saves you on using the crimpers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#6]

Like em? Not really
View Quote

Dang, lol. Tough crowd. It's definitely a solution for a problem that doesn't exist - that, I won't deny.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By cap6888:

If you market them on eBay as "Mark 1 Mod 0 Tier 1 DEVGRU chem light holders" you could sell them for $20 a pop.

On another note, how about just taking the length of fishing line, tying knots in either end, then over lap them in the middle and use the heat shrink to hold them together?  Saves you on using the crimpers.
View Quote

Haha, marketing is everything! Maybe I'll send some to my Raider buddies and ask for pics of them being used in the wild.

Tying that thick of mono would probably create a bulky knot, even with the heat-shrink tubing over it. And crimps allow you to adjust the loop size real easy and give it a clean finish. I definitely like them better with the crimps; I didn't even attempt to tie any.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Dang, lol. Tough crowd. It's definitely a solution for a problem that doesn't exist - that, I won't deny.

View All Quotes

Like em? Not really

Thats pretty much it. If I could get another VS-17 panel I'd cut one up to make what we used to use for room clearing/signaling.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
::shrug:: It would end up being just one more of dozens of products on the market that are just prettier and "more tacticaller" versions of things made with $.08 of random bits that now sells for $5.  

Kinda like a $10 pack of twenty Ranger Bands versus $10 for a pound (approximately 240 ) of rubber bands at Office Depot - and that's going with the fancy, expensive brand, too.  

But hey, there's hope - MagPul got it's start marketing the equivalent of a six inch piece of gutted 550 cord, the snipped off end of a zip tie, and a strip of 100mph tape.  

Like I said - they look slick - but that doesn't mean you'd ever get me to pay for them.    

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#10]

::shrug:: It would end up being just one more of dozens of products on the market that are just prettier and "more tacticaller" versions of things made with $.08 of random bits that now sells for $5.  

Kinda like a $10 pack of twenty Ranger Bands versus $10 for a pound (approximately 240 ) of rubber bands at Office Depot - and that's going with the fancy, expensive brand, too.  

But hey, there's hope - MagPul got it's start marketing the equivalent of a six inch piece of gutted 550 cord, the snipped off end of a zip tie, and a strip of 100mph tape.  

Like I said - they look slick - but that doesn't mean you'd ever get me to pay for them.    

~Augee
View Quote

Fear not, gents. There are NO plans for Utah Lanyards to hit the market.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:47:54 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

~Augee

Make them from Tan 498 Coyote ALSE Cord, call them "tactical" and sell to airsofters on the Bay, Profit.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Wouldn't a strand of paracord guts and a square knot be cheaper?
View All Quotes
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally Posted By RTUtah:[

Late to the party on this one but just use the entire cord no need to gut it. Square not it into a loop after sliding on the chemlights and you're good. It's reusable too. To prevent fraying melt the ends with a lighter.

Then you don't have to tie each chemlight individually.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RangerJoe11:

Late to the party on this one but just use the entire cord no need to gut it. Square not it into a loop after sliding on the chemlights and you're good. It's reusable too. To prevent fraying melt the ends with a lighter.

View All Quotes
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally Posted By RTUtah:[

Thats what I do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilkyJohnson] [#14]
Saving pennies for radios, liberator III, D.A.R.K. IFAK, insert for belt pouch, and waiting for my distro to get more Chip McCormick 10+ and Tourniquet Nows.  It's all fairly redundant so both can be used independently.  It's coming together.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:13:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheArizonaCowboy] [#15]
Some of my gear

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I am have just about all my stuff optimized.  Now begins the long job of saving for spare NODs or thermal

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Which chest rig is that. Also how do you have the mags on the APC?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SilkyJohnson:
Saving pennies for radios, liberator III, D.A.R.K. IFAK, insert for belt pouch, and waiting for my distro to get more Chip McCormick 10+ and Tourniquet Nows.  It's all fairly redundant so both can be used independently.  It's coming together.

http://i57.tinypic.com/rub0ud.jpg
View Quote

You've got good taste.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Can list the gear in that picture please?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:49:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheArizonaCowboy] [#20]
Originally Posted By schaffer:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By schaffer:

NOH Tactical (Steve Nolan). Anyone interested in one, IM me. The APC has the Mayflower Tripple Mag Insert in the kangaroo pouch.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Eagle ciras maritime...
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:06:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#22]
Regarding Mystery Ranch packs: Anyone happen to have a Nice Day Pack Lid laying around that would be willing to measure between both upper and lower buckles?

I'm trying to determine if I can use that lid with the Komodo Dragon pack. My idea is that I think I can secure the Lid to the face of the Komodo via a few webbing buckles. I asked the boys at MR and they advised against it stating the pack is too narrow at the top; that's about when I had the idea to affix it to the face and not the top.

I purchased the civilian version of the Komodo but the pack just wasn't quite large enough. I sent it back last week and I'm trying to decide where to go from here. I know I want MR, and I know I want the Y-Zip. The other option I'm looking at is the Big Sky but it's got less features and adaptability. I already asked if they could do custom work and add some PALS webbing to a Big Sky but they declined, saying they're just too busy nowadays to undertake any custom projects.

Thoughts?

ETA: Just ran across the HG3D pack from High Ground Gear. This damn thing is tricked out as hell.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:30:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#23]
i have one, gimme a sec.

ETA:

Tops:

Bottoms:

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Jermzzzzzzz:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jermzzzzzzz:

First spear admin
Taco
Esstac 2x 1911
Benchmade 375
Suregrip
Cobra
Esstac 2x rifle
Esstac quad runner
Bleeder blowout
Kydex by Armiger Solutions
MUT
Benchmade 275
First spear dump
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Yeah that's gonna be too wide at the bottom to use on the face of the Komodo. I could anchor it to the back PALS row on the Live-Wing waist belt using a few buckles and some webbing. That gonna be a very pricey setup though...
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#26]
Made a few more revisions. I am still looking for a kangaroo pouch 3 mag solution that does not use bungie cords.

Anyone know anything about the High Ground Gear solution?

(click pic for higher res)

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#27]
The banshee crowd seems to like the HGG Kangaroo Pouch, its one of the only that fits. i think i'll be getting one for mine in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:59:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By acdef:

The banshee crowd seems to like the HGG Kangaroo Pouch, its one of the only that fits. i think i'll be getting one for mine in the near future.
View Quote

Will it work with the KYWI Kydex inserts?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:44:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whatarippa] [#29]

Originally Posted By PFran42:

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By acdef:

Not a mag shingle it's designed to serve as admin.

Disregard read that as the zippered admin insert.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MakGunTech] [#30]
PFRAN, I really like your kit. It looks really clean and functional, without too much crap.

I've been working with my kit in cycles as I run it. My main function is as a Medic. Currently EMT-Basic certified, finish school and cert EMT-Paramedic this may. I started with just a basic LEO style inner and outer Safariland belt system, which was replaced by a MOLLE battle belt by Condor and eventually became an ATS War Belt in Multicam. Then entered the plate carrier. I went through several iterations before settling with a surplus IOTV that I got at a great price and I really like some of the features including its quick removal system and large level IIIa soft armor coverage area. I've experimented with various drop leg platforms as well, but never found anything that fit well with the system that I have. I think starting from just a belt and incorporating the plate carrier later has given me a different mindset about setting up my plate carrier, and I wanted some advise. Basically I've got all my essentials on my belt, and if I put anything on my plate carrier I'm limited by whether or not it will interfere with access to my belt. I see a lot of guys effectively utilize the side areas of the carriers and I feel like it would be better if I were able to run maybe more of my stuff on the carrier and go more simplistic on the belt. Do we have any other guys running a belt and IOTV that can post pictures of their set ups? I will update with pictures of my current set up and a comprehensive list of my gear that I have/want on my rig.

ETA:

List of gear:
Plate Carrier:
3 M4/AR15/SCAR MK16 compatible 30-round 5.56 magazines, Magpul Emags
3 1911 8-round .45 ACP Wilson Combat "ETM" magazines
1 CAT Combat Application Tourniquet
1 Small Trauma Shears
1 ESEE IZULA-2 fixed blade knife
1 Pen Light
3 Chemlights, 1 12-hour Yellow, 1 12-hour Green, 1 6-hour IR

War Belt:
4 1911 10-round .45 ACP Wilson Combat magazines
1 I.F.A.K
1 Flexcuffs - FDE
Safariland Holster, 1911 with Surefire X300 Light
Condor ATACKS dump pouch - to be replaced with Tactical Tailor Multicam pouch
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Dick Flap lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Dick Flap lol
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By peters21:

QFT
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By peters21:
Dick Flap lol

QFT

The whole reason I got a plate carrier, got to protect the family jewels! Haha
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Fu*k that's a lot of pistol mags. Nice set up though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:22:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Dick Flap lol
View Quote

Stick a fanny-pack over it or one of those sweet Kifaru hand-warmers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Take a look at the safariland single legs strap drop leg panel and remove the drop leg strap and use the drop flex adapter instead.  Much more stable and lower than straight belt mount.

Originally Posted By MakGunTech:
PFRAN, I really like your kit. It looks really clean and functional, without too much crap.

I've been working with my kit in cycles as I run it. My main function is as a Medic. Currently EMT-Basic certified, finish school and cert EMT-Paramedic this may. I started with just a basic LEO style inner and outer Safariland belt system, which was replaced by a MOLLE battle belt by Condor and eventually became an ATS War Belt in Multicam. Then entered the plate carrier. I went through several iterations before settling with a surplus IOTV that I got at a great price and I really like some of the features including its quick removal system and large level IIIa soft armor coverage area. I've experimented with various drop leg platforms as well, but never found anything that fit well with the system that I have. I think starting from just a belt and incorporating the plate carrier later has given me a different mindset about setting up my plate carrier, and I wanted some advise. Basically I've got all my essentials on my belt, and if I put anything on my plate carrier I'm limited by whether or not it will interfere with access to my belt. I see a lot of guys effectively utilize the side areas of the carriers and I feel like it would be better if I were able to run maybe more of my stuff on the carrier and go more simplistic on the belt. Do we have any other guys running a belt and IOTV that can post pictures of their set ups? I will update with pictures of my current set up and a comprehensive list of my gear that I have/want on my rig.

ETA:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-if0lQ6xaJOs/VMRB2apCpyI/AAAAAAAAASY/jtR4MR7UzKk/w523-h929-no/2015-01-24%2B19.44.55.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-G8K-xye0gas/VMRCE4LvCNI/AAAAAAAAASs/JtKu2fcyGK0/w1596-h898-no/2015-01-24%2B19.45.33.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4YhUndI695U/VMRCFBFUNZI/AAAAAAAAAS0/B8SmejQKyz4/w1596-h898-no/2015-01-24%2B19.45.59.jpg

List of gear:
Plate Carrier:
1 Small Trauma Shears
1 Pen Light

War Belt:
1 I.F.A.K
1 Flexcuffs - FDE
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Dick Flap lol
View Quote

Yep.  Hate those things.  That being said, a guy from my squad  caught a bunch of grenade shrapnel with his and ended up with shredded dick flap, some bruises, and just a little tiny cut on his actual equipment.  So there is that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MakGunTech:

ETA:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-if0lQ6xaJOs/VMRB2apCpyI/AAAAAAAAASY/jtR4MR7UzKk/w523-h929-no/2015-01-24%2B19.44.55.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-G8K-xye0gas/VMRCE4LvCNI/AAAAAAAAASs/JtKu2fcyGK0/w1596-h898-no/2015-01-24%2B19.45.33.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4YhUndI695U/VMRCFBFUNZI/AAAAAAAAAS0/B8SmejQKyz4/w1596-h898-no/2015-01-24%2B19.45.59.jpg

List of gear:
Plate Carrier:
1 Small Trauma Shears
1 Pen Light

War Belt:
1 I.F.A.K
1 Flexcuffs - FDE
View Quote

Nice set up. I would consider keeping the two tourniquets together with your primary line and IFAK. If you must ditch your secondary or don't have time to don it and end up with severe wounds to two extremities, you might be in trouble.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:01:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RangerJoe11] [#39]
Originally Posted By jd0509:

Yep.  Hate those things.  That being said, a guy from my squad  caught a bunch of grenade shrapnel with his and ended up with shredded dick flap, some bruises, and just a little tiny cut on his actual equipment.  So there is that.
View All Quotes
Dick Flap lol

Yup, it's all fun and games until it saves your dick from getting shredded.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#40]
If Call of Duty has taught me anything (and it's taught me everything)... it's that switching weapons is much faster than reloading them.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Dick Flap lol

Do you even Ballistic Boxers bro?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
Dick Flap lol

This.  the ballistic diapers were way awesomer.  And nobody ever ran around camp in the ballistic undies, helmet, boots, and weapon.  Not ever.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow, I am at a loss for words....

I wish I had that kind of $$ to blow on gear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Kalmar:
If Call of Duty has taught me anything (and it's taught me everything)... it's that switching weapons is much faster than reloading them.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2wnoe4p.jpg
View Quote

Needs more guns
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mr2143:

Needs more guns
View All Quotes

Needs more guns

Needs more PT belt.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By PFC_Dustin:

Needs more PT belt.
View All Quotes

Needs more guns

Needs more PT belt.

Needs more SHARP "Smart Card"
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Made a few more revisions. I am still looking for a kangaroo pouch 3 mag solution that does not use bungie cords.

Anyone know anything about the High Ground Gear solution?

http://www.highgroundgear.com/products/556-mag-pouch-insert-triple

(click pic for higher res)

<a href="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3ebcF3gRj8w/VMLSVPx_icI/AAAAAAABSf0/_daJgRuXrrI/w1347-h898-no/DSC_0462.JPG" target="_blank">https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3ebcF3gRj8w/VMLSVPx_icI/AAAAAAABSf0/_daJgRuXrrI/w1347-h898-no/DSC_0462.JPG</a>

View Quote

I'm jealous of everything in this picture.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Bedouin2W:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bedouin2W:

Needs more guns

Needs more PT belt.

Perfect........
cp
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Such safe
Much reflector

WOW
Page / 161
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top