BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2004 2:37:44 PM EDT
What brands of scopes are good for under $100? I have seen some in the CDNN catalog. Are cheaper scopes to be avoided? What do the more expensive scopes have on the cheaper ones, besides a warranty?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO if you want an inexpensive scope I'd go with a 3200 Series Bushnell....I have not heard anything bad about them.  Keep in mind you sometimes get what you pay for
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a tack ? It seems to come up quite a bit .
Link Posted: 5/22/2004 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a cheap 3-9X42 illuminated scope w/ a built in bullet drop comp. for 223 marked Hammer.  I have not had any problems with it , holds zero, returns to same point of impact, etc.  I shot it out to 200 yds. and it hit the target in a consistent manner as it did at 100 yds. when I dialed it up.  Very happy with the purchase price of $85 plus $6.00 ship. Going to get on for my son. Optics very clear.
Link Posted: 5/23/2004 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, I started a tack thread!
Link Posted: 5/23/2004 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Leapers, BSA, and BEC are wastes of time and money.  I once bought a short BEC scope for a AR, it had  .223 drop compensation and illuminated recticles.  Then it broke.  Waste of $100

Most of the 3200 Elites are well over $100, a decent scope nevertheless but perhaps above this discussion.
Link Posted: 5/24/2004 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
OK so I'm saving for an ACOG, but in the meantime...

What about the Bushnell Trophy Multi-Reticle (Dot/Crosshair/Circle-Dot)?  I handled one today.  Seems pretty good for $110.  Of course, I'd need to tack on another $40 for a riser....

What about the Armson OEG for $125?
(Edited to add:  OK, I just did a search and found out about the zero wandering with different lighting conditions...)
Link Posted: 5/25/2004 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What about the Armson OEG for $125?

Very old technology now.  I'd pass on that.  Get a OKO for about $170, I think.
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IMO if you want an inexpensive scope I'd go with a 3200 Series Bushnell....I have not heard anything bad about them.  Keep in mind you sometimes get what you pay for

I just snagged a 6-18 x 50mm Bushnell Banner and man is thing great for varminting.  used $75 with high mount rings!  Good clarity for the money.
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm into the entry stuff and for $100 I have the Bushnell Trophy red dot sight. It's just as good in my opinion as some of the holo sights. It's a heck of a deal. I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/10/2004 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a bushnell banner 3-9 x40 on one of my rifles. I paid about 90.00 for it new. It's clear and holds its zero well it just isn't very bright. I'd recommend it to someone on a budget. JM.02
Link Posted: 6/11/2004 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody use NcStar rubberized 3-9X42 w/ liighted ret. and bullet drop.  I know, I know you get what you pay for and I don't have $400  for an Aimpoint.  I don't shoot competition but was just looking for something to have fun with plinking around.  

I saw one of these today and was really pretty nice w/ Ar handle mount.  Please let me know if anyone has any exp. with them, the guy also said there was a free replacement for life on it too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2004 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a NcStar 6x - 24x about 3 months ago.  I have well over 500 rounds with it and it is still working great.  I use it for varmite hunting.
Link Posted: 6/12/2004 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
i bought a NcStar 4 x 30 today for my AK
sites pretty good, just hope it holds up to the recoil!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#15]
go on ebay and find a used colt 3X20 or 4X 20. You'll pay more than $100, but it'll be worth it. Don't buy the crappy Chinese knockoffs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Simmons makes some decent 'cheap' scopes...

I have a 44Mag that I use on my Savage... No problems so far...

A 3-9x40 will go for under $100...

For a reflex sight, I reccommend the Russian 'Kobra' . If you have an AK, you can get one with the side-plate mount, otherwise they make a weaver-rail version that works with flat-tops & 'carry handle scope rails'...

Link Posted: 6/20/2004 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I've used a Tasco World Class and World Class Plus. The Plus is much better and retails for about $150, I think. I got a used one at a gun show for $50, heck of a deal I think. I found em both to be bright and clear, and they actually seem to be pretty well made. The Plus I've been using is a 3.5x10 with a 50mm objective. To me, the view is better than a similar priced Simmons, etc. The World Class can be had new for about $60 on internet sale places, seems to be pretty OK but I have not used it much. I'd recommend handling and looking through several. Yes, the better Bushnell stuff is good, and the low end Leupold is really good stuff. The most bang for the buck is probably a good used scope, expecially a name brand. Sometimes gun shops will have take-off's from trade in guns.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#18]
The HAKKO Tacpoint has been getting alot of press lately.  It's an Aimpoint clone, not too shabby for $109.99.

I need to get my hands on one.....or two.....or three.

Link Posted: 6/30/2004 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I gotta throw in ELCAN here.

It isn't "cheap" but I found an awesome deal on one for 425 on the EE.

I like it, I like it allot.

Its heavy, the BUIS molded into the top is absolute crap, but the glass man, the glass!

My FOV is great! It is the sharpest optic I have ever owned and I will never make the mistake of buying a cheap optic like those things mounted on my friends rifles. I guess I did it right the first time. The mount is super heavy duty and at night I noticed an increased perception to darker areas of the surounding countryside then my naked eye could take in. The tritium needs recharging soon, but thats not a big deal at this point.  

Dont buy cheap!
Thank You Sub
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone have or used the HAKKO Tacpoint?  Where are they avail.?
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

There are only a few distributers and all of them are sold out around the country.  There should be another shipment in around the end of July.....keep an eye out at:

www.scopesnmore.com
www.nightvisionweb.com

Also, there are a couple threads of reviews, much heated debate, good reviews overall.

I've got the Tacpoint *PICS*
Tacpoint Test and Range Report
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I just received the NcStar 4x22 for my Bushy carry handle (COLT/HAKKO) copy. It looks and feels fantastic  with clear optics and a reticule any bad guy would love to have lined up on him. I guess I was under the impression that cheap scopes were adjustable the same as more expensive ones. Perhaps that's not the case as my windage is turned fully clockwise and still a ways from where it should be.  Elevation is all the way anti- clockwise and still no where close.
During my attempt to "sight in" I noticed we have no clicks , so even if I got the reticule roughly lined up, how would I continue to follow the instructions in the box---ie,  each click is 0.7 inches at 100 yds. Maybe I'm clueless about these things on occasions ,  BUT- a CLICKLESS optical rifle scope---Is this normal these days ?. It's on it's way back to NcSTAR so hopefully it will be rectified.    Yeh, I know, you get what you pay for ,  I'll let you guys know my final cost once we arrive at a working scope level.
Link Posted: 7/7/2004 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#23]
has anyone found a source for the hakko tacpoint??

a few dealers list them, but are out of stock.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#24]
"The bitterness of poor quality far outlasts the sweetness of low price."

I generally spend almost as much (if not more) on optics as on the actual rifle.

I've been more than satisfied with EVERY Leupold scope that I've owned. I can't say the same for ANY of the lower-priced optics that I THOUGHT were a good deal when I bought them. I have a drawer full of Tasco, Simmons, BSA, etc that aren't worth mounting on a BB-gun.

Link Posted: 7/12/2004 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Just had my NcStar back via UPS -----replacement scope.   What can I say ?  GREAT customer service, PROMPT attention and honor their warranty.    Oh, almost forgot, the new scope is perfect . zeroed in and doing it's job. Wonder how long it'll last ?    total spent inc shipping $48.
Thank you NcStar   (no !, i don't work for them )
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#26]
tagged
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
has anyone found a source for the hakko tacpoint??

a few dealers list them, but are out of stock.

nightvisionweb.com has some right now, if it's worth an extra $20 or so ($129).

I ordered one a few minutes ago and talked to him personally.  They rec'd some in just four days ago.  Not sure how many, though.

Hell, I piss twice that much away during a weekend at the boat.  It's worth it just to try it out and report my findings back here.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I am also fond of the inexpensive scope ( not cheap ) I have two simmons that treat me right
A bushnell banner 6-18x50 that is awesome would recommend it to anyone on a budget         holds zero like a champ sight picture is clear and bright
but the red headed stepchild would have to be the BSA
It holds zero but the sight picture isnt as crisp and clean as the Simmons or the Bushnell
I would not buy another.
I was thinking about getting a bushnell 4200 or a Leupold but I can't for the life of me justfiy the cost
IMHO there is no need to spend that kind of money on a scope besides its all market hype that because it costs more its going to be better if they came down a few hundred bucks then we might talk.

Drow
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I have an old Tasco 3x9 X 40 that’s been kicking around on various mounts and weapons for years .
I had it at the range today on my FAL testing how well the Tapco mount held Zero . Its not pretty
and uses plain crosshairs ,and I gave up caring about it a long time ago  but it does its job over and over again without complaint .  

Sure I have some quality & expensive optics , but every time the cheapy tasco puts holes where I want them I feel a little cheated by the others  
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#30]
i bought an elite 4000 back when they were they were b&l.  fragile.  broke.  customer service was so bad i refuse to buy a bushnell again.

ran into a guy at the range with same problem.

gotta friend with a cheap bushnell that doesn't hold a zero as well as my $30 chinese 4x.

+1 on leupold.  has anyone ever had a bad experience with one?
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The only Leupy I ever broke was a VX-III that ROLLED down a Wyoming mountain in the gun rack of my ATV.  (Yes, it HURT!)

Leupold had a new scope in my mailbox before my broken ribs healed.

The rifle, well that's another story ...

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Cheap is different than inexpensive.

I wouldn't put either on a rifle....you are better off using the iron sights or a peep sight than relying on low quality optics.

MT
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't want to lay down a tall stack of cash for a scope (at least not now).  I'm looking at Bushnell's variable power Banner's and BSA's Contender.  If you had to choose one or the other, which would it be??  Also what power range would be best over-all (3-9/3-12/4-12/4-16/6-18/6-24/8-32)??  I want something that will be good for bench shooting at various distances with my A3 Bushy.

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I don't want to lay down a tall stack of cash for a scope (at least not now).  I'm looking at Bushnell's variable power Banner's and BSA's Contender.  If you had to choose one or the other, which would it be??

Use iron sights for a while and save until you can buy a scope that will WORK and LAST.

I've been more than satisfied with EVERY Leupold scope that I've owned. I can't say the same for ANY of the lower-priced optics that I THOUGHT were a good deal when I bought them. I have a drawer full of Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, BSA, etc that aren't worth mounting on a BB-gun. (Wanna buy one? )

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Optics seems to be an area where you get what you pay for. As for a $100.00 scope I'd look for a used 2-7, 3-9 variable or a fixed 4 or 6 power from a reputable manufacturer. Even used it might cost more than $100.00. If I were buy'n new in the lowend it would probably be a Weaver K-6. for about $120.00. I've been pretty happy with a Bushnell 3200 10X40 Mil Dot scope, about $179.00 when I bought it. The 3200 has been on a 223 Savage so theres no recoil to speak of.

Some of the glass in cheap scopes is'nt all bad. It's just everything else that fails, loose lenses, broken reticles, bad errector tubes and turrets that won't track and repeat ect. ect.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only Leupy I ever broke was a VX-III that ROLLED down a Wyoming mountain in the gun rack of my ATV.  (Yes, it HURT!)

Hello, i talked with a man with a similer story at the Laramie Wy.  rifle range about a week ago, was that you??
His story was almost identical lol.

Anyway, back on topic.

I use an OKO red dot, and i fricken love the thing.
I didnt want to spend an arm and a leg on an optic, but i still wanted quality.  Russell at cav Arms recommended the OKO, i have a CAV-15 and love it, so i figured i'd give it a shot.
When i recieved the box, i thought i had been ripped because it felt weightless.  I quickly opened it and found the unit, it seemed a lot smaller then i was expecting, but it was a nice suprise i guess..
I cranked it on and sighted it in quickely.  I liked it, but wished it would sit about a 1/2" higher because my LMT iron sight took up most of the window, since i still like to practice with irons out to long distances it wasnt an option to get a fold down.  I lived with it for awhile and it was alright.  Then i went to europe, then texas and New mexico and my buddy who also has a CAV-15 bought an aimpoint m2, and a hi rise mount.  It was a huge improvement over what i had because the irons only took up the lower portion.  I promptly(actually jsut today) ordered 2  1/2" rail risers from Bushmaster for about 30 bucks shipped.
I think this will be a big improvement for the optic.
I would Highly recommend this unit because it has held zero, has lots of settings, decent battery life and is basically an aimpoint for 200 bucks less.  I would recommend the case cover if you are worried about the durability of the unit.  I havent had any issues and i have bumped it around plenty.

4.5/5 rating from me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hello, i talked with a man with a similer story at the Laramie Wy.  rifle range about a week ago, was that you??
His story was almost identical lol.

Alas, no it was not me.  I've been stuck here in the flatlands of Ohio for ten years.

I used to shoot every week at the LRR.  My crash-test was in the Snowies, just above Centennial.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Nothing wrong with playing with irons for a while.
I did so with an M4gery for many months, and currently, my Varmint rig has only a carry handle/front sight combo. I put a cheapy Tasco Red Dot on the M4gery just for fun, and it was gathering dust in a drawer anyways. It works, but a piece has jarred loose inside. Have yet to decide on the Varmint scope, maybe Super Sniper fixed 10X or Burris variable 4.5-14X.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#39]
For magnified optics, the Nikon Pro Staff seem to be the best to me. My advice is to find the very best scope you can afford, then buy the next model above it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I PUT A BURRIS SPEED DOT 135 ON MY DISSIPATOR TOADY.  IT COST ME 185.00 AND IT WORKS GREAT.  I USED A 5/8" RISER FROM CMMG INC. AND IT COWITNESS'S AWESOMELY.  ALOT OF YOU GUYS TOLD ME NOT TO GET THE BURRIS, BUT I DID AND I DON'T REGRET IT YET.  I WENT TO THE RANGE AND SHOT 1.5" GROUPS @ 50 YDS, AND 3" @ 100 YDS.  I'VE DONE BETTER WITH MY IRON SIGHT BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT A RED DOT WAS DESIGNED FOR.  BURRIS HAS A 35MM RETICLE SO FINDING THE TARGET WASN'T A PROBLEM.  BOTH EYES OPEN, AND IMPRESSIVE GROUPS.
MY ADVICE IS NOT TO BE TO CHEAP WHEN IT COMES TO OPTICS, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO WITH THE CROWD EITHER.  THERE ARE SOME GOOD OPTICS OUT THERE FOR LESS THAN $200.  IF YOU WANT QUALITY I WOULDN'T SPEND MUCH LESS.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
For magnified optics, the Nikon Pro Staff seem to be the best to me. My advice is to find the very best scope you can afford, then buy the next model above it.

Well, I took my own advice. I went out yesterday to buy a Nik PS 2-7x33 at Bass Pro but they did not have it in stock. So, I took a look at the Leupold VX1 2-7x33 and I brought it home. The VX1 was $199.99, but I had a BP coupon for 20% off, so I got it for $159.99 Pretty damn good deal, I think. I will post a pic in a day or two.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I tried one at the Scottsdale Gun Club it was alright till I turned on high intensity option it was washed out and all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#43]
A very wise man told me once.. A poor man cannot aford to buy cheap junk.. save your money...go without a lunch or two and buy a quality optic...

my 2c
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I am still recommending the OKO.
It IS a quality optic, and is probably just as durable as an eotech when you buy the SC4 cover, which also raises it ~1/4th inch.

If you like the open window look of the EO, and a 4 MOA red dot and don't have $500 for a setup, the OKO is the best choice for a reflex sight.
$180/190 for an OKO
$50 bucks for the steel cover
~$240 for a reflex sight that works as well as anything out there.
I would trust my life to my OKO, and i don't even have the SC4 cover yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#45]

NC Star does have a lifetime warranty on all optics.  If it breaks ship it to the west coast & theyll replace it free.  Thats something most low dollar optics dont have.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#46]
try  NcStar AR15/M16 Mount 4x30E Rubber Coated Rangefinder Illuminate  Model #SECRRAQ430R only cost $71.99 + Shipping.  This Scope is specially design for AR15/M16 which has quick release and flap lens cover. you can find spec at Ncstar official website www.ncstar.com or www.combatoptical.com for retail and see better quality picture.
^^
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#47]
If I had the money and needed highly specialized do it all especially in harsh terrain, I'd get a humvee...

If I want someting that's adequate in most respects, but with a price more in my range, I'd get a jeep...

If I'm on a budget, I'll look for a good used jeep.

If I'm a cheapskate and don't mind  getting stuck in the mud every once in awhile, I'll borrow my brothers 2 wheel drive pick-up  h.gif

Oh wait...wrong site...you guys are talking about scopes...nevermind  H!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Texastacticlegear.com  104.00
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Tacpoint, Blackhawk, SOG, American Camper....

What  do these products all have in common?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#50]
NC STAR, They have many different scopes variable and fixed power, redots, some with drop in mounts, illuminated reticles, and NITROGEN FILLED, none of these other brands are going to be nitrogen filled, AND they are CLEAR. They all range for under $90.00 They also the have an exact copy of the HAKKO MARK III for half the price we have it for 89.00.

We sell the whole line and they back their Lifetime Warranty. ALMOST NO QUESTIONS ASKED, IN FACT if something happens we usually do have one going out the same day, if it ever happens... the return rate is pretty low.

Email Me if Anyone wants any info on NCSTAR...or PIX on the HAKKO COPY I have to do all they code manually for our website so it will be a week or two before I get it all up. I have 6 different Red Dots for under $50 some stainless, and 9-10 different scopes perfect for having a lot of cheap fun all under $79.00.

Hope this has helped everyone out...

Richard Augat, USAOPTICS
WWW.USAOPTICS.NET
Toll-Free: 1_877_808_8886
E-mail: [email protected]
IOR East Coast Master Distributor
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top