BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Originally Posted By proto_moose:
I will reaffirm the importance of placement.  We had $20k in air conditioners stolen from one of our locations last week.  I installed all the cameras in the showroom, and told the store manager to call me when he was ready to order the outside camera and I would cover a couple things.  He did it without calling me, put a standard outside pedestal camera, and pointed it straight down at the units.  Then he ran the cable along a gutter and penetrated the wall at shoulder height. So after 10 minutes of watching a St. Louis Cardinals hat, two hoodies and a beanie steal our a/c's-they cut the cord and stole the camera.

Doh...  

I'm less than enthused with that branch manager right now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I will reaffirm the importance of placement.  We had $20k in air conditioners stolen from one of our locations last week.  I installed all the cameras in the showroom, and told the store manager to call me when he was ready to order the outside camera and I would cover a couple things.  He did it without calling me, put a standard outside pedestal camera, and pointed it straight down at the units.  Then he ran the cable along a gutter and penetrated the wall at shoulder height. So after 10 minutes of watching a St. Louis Cardinals hat, two hoodies and a beanie steal our a/c's-they cut the cord and stole the camera.

Doh...  

I'm less than enthused with that branch manager right now.

Meth-heads/scrappers?

Yup- Detective said there have been 24 businesses hit in the last 2 weeks. We are in an enterprise zone adjacent to a low income neighborhood, however this locations a/c's are on the main 4-lane to downtown.  After one of the units got stolen a month ago, we found a DVR system and setup 6 cams in the warehouse and showroom. Just waited to long/got complacent on getting the outside camera on  We found there trick out though. They wait until its raining. Drivers are too concentrated in the dark with the decreased visibility and the sound of the refrigerant escaping is drowned out by the sound of rain and tires on pavement. This happened at 7:30 in the evening btw.

New units are going on the roof.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a question for you TGM.
We live in a typical suburban neighborhood where the houses are right next to each other. It's a pretty good area but in the past we have had a couple instances of people siphoning gas and taking loose change from cars in the neighborhood. My wife and I are going to have some motion sensing flood lights installed at all 4 corners of the house.
I would also like to get a few cameeras to mount, (one over the garage, one over the front door, and one over the back door), now my question is this: with the installation of the flood lights should I also get the IR illuminators for the camera and will the flood lights interfere with the functionality of the cameras?
The lights would be mounted at the corners and the garage camera would be mounted above the garage door about 10 feet away but on the same plane/level as the lights, (make sense?).

I've looked at some of the various models posted in this thread but I'm still unsure about what to get, (camera-wise). I've checked Amazon, Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc...and I see alot of cameras with the built in IR but I read that that is not always recommended and I'm wondering how it would interact with the flood lights?
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Power cables for the IR floods are 6 ft long.  Can I buy extensions or do I have to homebrew them?
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
3A 12VDC that is 6.5 feet long.  My nearest power is more like 20 feet away.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 1:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#10]
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Uhg..
I’m piecing back together our house after Sandy and one of my outdoor cameras took one for the team. I’m looking to replace it.
This is what I have (or pretty0020close to it)
http://www.buy.com/prod/zmodo-night-vision-sony-ccd-weatherproof-home-cctv-security/240350011.html?listingId=238175742

I’m looking for something with a better resolution and a better IR distance (not sure if that's possible)
Any suggestions what don’t kill my wallet?
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NotDeaf:
Uhg..
I’m piecing back together our house after Sandy and one of my outdoor cameras took one for the team. I’m looking to replace it.
This is what I have (or pretty0020close to it)
http://www.buy.com/prod/zmodo-night-vision-sony-ccd-weatherproof-home-cctv-security/240350011.html?listingId=238175742
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jgwoNJtUL._AA160_.jpg

I’m looking for something with a better resolution and a better IR distance (not sure if that's possible)
Any suggestions what don’t kill my wallet?

What are you looking to spend?

Under a $100??
Are there any better options?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I am starting out with these, 700 TVL Sony 1/3 Effio camera's.  Amazon

$82 and they seem robust for being cheap.  I am adding a lot of supplemental IR light where needed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By jhlewis10:

I am starting out with these, 700 TVL Sony 1/3 Effio camera's.  Amazon

$82 and they seem robust for being cheap.  I am adding a lot of supplemental IR light where needed.

IME, the built in IR is good for about half of what they are rated for.

That being said, they'll probably not be bad with your addon IR lights.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: t3rror] [#17]
What is everyone looking at these days for an IP MP exterior camera that will use a separate IR source?  Just getting settled into the new house and will be adding cameras one or two at a time.  I would like to stay in the $200 - $400 range per camera.  I haven't decided what NVR software I will use, but I have an Atom based machine @ 2.2 Ghz with 8 GB RAM that will record to a mount point on a freenas box.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By t3rror:
What is everyone looking at these days for an IP MP exterior camera that will use a separate IR source?  Just getting settled into the new house and will be adding cameras one or two at a time.  I would like to stay in the $200 - $400 range per camera.  I haven't decided what NVR software I will use, but I have an Atom based machine @ 2.2 Ghz with 8 GB RAM that will record to a mount point on a freenas box.

NFS?  Samba share?

In terms of the cameras, you're probably shooting too low on your price, unless you're going for used stuff on Ebay... though the Mobotix stuff, even used, will probably exceed your price range.  Used Acti, axis, and vivotek stuff can be had on Ebay for that kind of money... and all of those are quality cameras.  

As long as you're comfortable with the idea, there's nothing wrong with functional used cameras... none of my Mobotix cameras are new, and all were acquired directly or indirectly through Ebay.  I've also bought used Panos, etc that were in great shape, and are still working today.  

One of the nice things about IP cams is that you can add them in onesies and twosies... and I'd actually recommend doing that.  It gives you a chance to play around with one or two, learn their limitations, and what it takes to optimize the video through them (additional lighting, etc).  Fine-tuning a camera system for your home can actually be a significant ongoing process, particularly if you're learning-as-you-go.  

Think of it as a long-term project.  You'll end up with a much more functional system if you do it that way.

The Atom based box is running gentoo and will be writing to a separate freenas box via NFS.  From what I understand NFS has a lower overhead than Samba.  Everything is wired gigabit ethernet with the freenas and atom boxes both using dual gigabit nics teamed.

Are the mobotix that much better equipment than the acti and axis stuff?  Would it be wise to purchase some 4CIF devices to get initial coverage and then replace them with MP cameras as needed?
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I really dig the cable wrap, that is smart!!!!

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 11:48:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#22]
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I just moved to a new building and need to install some cams in the office and the warehouse as well as outside the building.

It looks like I'd like to have at least 4 inside, 3 outside cameras with a DVR that I can also access with my phone or remotely via a computer.

Any feedback on this system?

http://www.amazon.com/Defender-21113-Sentinel-Security-Outdoor/dp/B009UWK964/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359146946&sr=1-1&keywords=Defender+21113+PRO+Sentinel+8CH+Smart+Security+DVR+with+8+Hi-Res+Outdoor+Security+Cameras

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#24]
would there be a way to add more IP cams to the Costco Q-See 4ch system?  at $699 its a good deal but want more cams.

possibly plug a switch into one of the POE ports?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I currently have four Acti cameras and am running their software. I have everything going to a 24 port POE switch and then my desk top computer with an extra 2TB that everything is being recorded on. I want to add backup storage in another location within the house other than my desk top computer. I have been looking at adding another computer in another room or adding a network storage device such as a Netgear ReadyNas or a HP Micro Server.

What options/opions are there for storing the video in another location within the house?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:49:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#29]

Do you have an option for off-site storage?

My issue with offsite is that I do not have a static IP and my IP changes pretty frequently. If I were to do offsite what options do I have and how do you set it up?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:09:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#30]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Can Dropbox be used to backup low frame-rate security cams, say one frame/second?

The images would be sent to a file linked to Dropbox on an active PC near the cams.  If the ISP cable got cut then it wouldn't work unless wirelessly linked to say a neighbor.

To setup hidden remote storage, maybe 2 Ubiquity $50 wireless units set up in bridge config to some sort of PC/HD aaray in the basement ceiling for example.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#32]
Another poster wrote about a USB to ethernet SERVER/LINK abt a year ago.

I picked one up and interfaced a circuit to a cheap game cam to remote control it and download the memory card pix via wireless.

I think you could easily remote a USB backup storage device.

Very low power consumption.

The company is Silex and here's their link. This is a device that opens a lot of doors for some unusual hookups.

Cost is was about $80.

SILEX

Here's one of their newer models, very fast, [the model I bought a year or two ago has dropped into the dirt cheap price range on ebay]

Silex interface

Silex link to DS 4000

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By gaspain:

would there be a way to add more IP cams to the Costco Q-See 4ch system?  at $699 its a good deal but want more cams.

None that I know of... analog DVRs only support a set number of channels... and most won't take a stream from an IP camera in any case.
Its not analog. And i found in the reviews that guys have added a POE switch to add more cameras successfully.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-4-Channel-HD-Digital-NVR-with-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-720p-IP-Cameras.product.100003211.html#BVRRWidgetID

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#34]

None that I know of... analog DVRs only support a set number of channels... and most won't take a stream from an IP camera in any case.
Its not analog. And i found in the reviews that guys have added a POE switch to add more cameras successfully.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-4-Channel-HD-Digital-NVR-with-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-720p-IP-Cameras.product.100003211.html#BVRRWidgetID

The software appears to be limited to four cameras.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:

Do you have an option for off-site storage?

My issue with offsite is that I do not have a static IP and my IP changes pretty frequently. If I were to do offsite what options do I have and how do you set it up?

Do you have an option for a 'secure' onsite storage?

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Yes,

I have a couple of areas in my house that are secured and could be used as a place to put either an additional computer/dvr or one of the NAS or servers I listed above. I have been thinking about using my gun/storage closet. All I would need to do is run an ethernet cable to that room and connect it to the switch. My other option is to buy one of the secure server cabinets and place the switch and additional dvr device in it and secure it. Currently my switch is in the security closet in my house that has the alarm panel and TV/phone stuff.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:54:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#38]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:

Yes,

I have a couple of areas in my house that are secured and could be used as a place to put either an additional computer/dvr or one of the NAS or servers I listed above. I have been thinking about using my gun/storage closet. All I would need to do is run an ethernet cable to that room and connect it to the switch. My other option is to buy one of the secure server cabinets and place the switch and additional dvr device in it and secure it. Currently my switch is in the security closet in my house that has the alarm panel and TV/phone stuff.

OK.

Don't overlook a lot of things you can do to disrupt and intimidate an intruder.

Loud or strange noises or voices triggered numerous ways,  a pretty attractive glass panel maybe in a case labeled "DRUGS" that when they look into it, a light comes on revealing a camera pointed straight at them... Ooopsie!  Doesn't even have to be connected.

Other things.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Other things.

CLAYMORES.

Link Posted: 2/23/2013 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Recent home burglary caught on tape.

The biggest lulz come from the fact that the burglars dumped bleach on the DVR in an attempt to destroy the video evidence.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k_DelOsoyg

Brilliant.  Now you can't convict them on DNA evidence.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#41]

There are multiple ways to do off-site storage.  I do email, and FTP, neither of which requires a static IP at the source end.  To save having to set up my own mail server, I use an email relay service (costs me $20/year or something... very reasonable).  This is how I get images of my mailman, my UPS guy, any visitors, the gas-meter reader, etc.  It's not an exact mirror of what your DVR has, but it's enough images to be useful if something happens to the central DVR.  

What email server service do you recommend? Also can you explain FTP?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#43]
TheGrayMan, can you recommend a ip dvr card that I can install into a two year old rarely used pc?

I only use it maybe once a week to surf and internet radio.

Something that is of reasonable pricing, easy install, and can be accessed over the web?

6 - 1.3 meg camera's max.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:
TheGrayMan, can you recommend a ip dvr card that I can install into a two year old rarely used pc?

I only use it maybe once a week to surf and internet radio.

Something that is of reasonable pricing, easy install, and can be accessed over the web?

6 - 1.3 meg camera's max.

Thanks

No card needed.  The video encoding is done at the camera end, and comes to the dvr computer through its network connection.

You just need software.

Sweet.

I've got a 24 channel IP switch and 6 cams..... had a store they were in and could access them individually through the web for live viewing but it was a complicated mess.

Do you have a suggested software I should consider?

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Milestone Xprotect Go (free for eight channels) or Luxriot (economical)

Yea I'm using Xprotect go. I enjoy it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2013 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#48]
So can I just use an external HD to expand my desktops memory while pulling double duty as a dvr?
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:
So can I just use an external HD to expand my desktops memory while pulling double duty as a dvr?

If that external drive can support the write speed... and the USB controller doesn't choke or stutter... and the USB controller isn't hanging off a regular PCI bus with only 33Mb of bandwidth...

I've tried external drives... even Firewire... but none of them worked well enough.  It's why I recommend purpose-built DVRs, with SATA drives... and PCI-E network cards to gather the streams.

Greyman, I have a few IP cams at a location connected over a wireless bridge to another location were it would be secure to locate a server. The bridge has a best speed of maybe 8 mbps but that can't always be counted on and can go as low as 3 mbps, depending on condx.

The cams are Axis and I just looked and they can be slowed to 1 frame per second. I know nothing abt XProtect Go but would like to learn.

If I set 4 cams to run 1 frame a second, would that bog the link?

Does XProtect Go work with triggered events so nothing would be stored until the cam detected something to trigger it and burst some frames out for, say, 10 seconds?

Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top