BCM
User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
OK... evaluating one of these as a potential long-range license plate camera.

http://www.acti.com/file/Product/images/KCM-5211E_KCM-5311E_Front_l_0727.jpg

2MP, WDR (they call it SDR), and 35x optical zoom (none of that "digital zoom" graininess).

Here's a cropped license plate, from 80 yards at maximum zoom (confirmed with my Leupold laser range-finder).

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Acti%205311E/licenseplate80yrdsday.jpg

TheGrayMan, I've been reading this thread since I am in the market for a camera. I am looking at this Acti camera to identify license plates and make/models of cars.

How do you like the one you have? Would you recommend it? Anything else to add?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By the_ak_kid:

I'm gonna tag this for future reading.  I'm about to build a new house and want CCTV everywhere.

I'm sure I'll have a million questions.  I'm an oilfield guy.  Electronics ARE NOT my thing.

Great thread.  

Run cables... lots of cables (predominately Cat6).  Have them all terminated in a central wiring closet.  Make sure you design ventilation into the wiring closet.  Putting a warm-air return at the top of the closet that connects to your main air-return duct is a great idea... and an AC vent in the bottom, that you can close in the wintertime.  My rack cabinet exhausts into the attic... there was no way to connect it to the main air-return.  I lose heat through it in the wintertime (that I could recycle), but I also don't have a higher cooling load in the summertime... it probably balances out.

Any place where you even THINK you might put a camera?  Have some cable run there.  We're talking corners of the house, front porch, front door, back door, garage, kids rooms, etc, etc...

If you THINK you might want a camera there, go ahead and have them pull the cable.  You won't regret doing this... and retrofitting later is MUCH more expensive.
Well said, I completely agree. Given that just had to run cat6 all through my house, in the attic, the basement, etc.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been keeping up-to-date on this thread over the past few months.  I've wanted to install cameras throughout my house, but really didn't want to run network cable all over.

I finally came across the Foscam FI8910W, which is a wireless camera that's fully remotely controllable (300 degrees horizontally, and something like 120 degrees vertically).  

I installed four of them (two outside, two inside), and am so far thrilled with the results.  The pan-tilt on the cameras is awesome, and the video quality is pretty good.  I'm also very impressed with the night vision.  In full darkness, it easily illuminates a large room.  I figured outside would be a problem, but the IR illuminators seem good out to around 75 feet.  That, coupled with the automatic low-light lense (switches on automatically) lets me easily visualize out to a range of 100-150 feet (or my entire 1/2 acre yard if the motion lights kick on).

The remote control on the cameras can be a bit choppy depending on your internet connection and how close/strong the wifi signal to the camera is, but I expected that.  There are also great android apps that give you full control over all of the cameras functions (pan, tilt, duplex audio, IR on and off, etc).

My only concern is the durability and longevity of the outdoor units.  This model is rated for indoor use, but there's an FAQ on their web site that says it can be used outdoors if it's sheltered from precipitation and extreme weather.  They recommend mounting upside down under an overhang, which is what I did.  On the plus side...all of these cameras are warrantied for 2-years, so if one craps out I'll swap it for a new one (provided it doesnt look like it fell in a lake).

I bought two 2-packs directly from FOSCAM.US, which cost around $160 each (or $80/camera).  I think you can also get them on Amazon, and there was a groupon (with a better price) recently.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, so please let me know if anyone has any interest or wants sample camera pictures, and I'll IM them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 12:18:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeV45] [#8]
Originally Posted By MikeV45:
OK... evaluating one of these as a potential long-range license plate camera.

http://www.acti.com/file/Product/images/KCM-5211E_KCM-5311E_Front_l_0727.jpg

2MP, WDR (they call it SDR), and 35x optical zoom (none of that "digital zoom" graininess).

Here's a cropped license plate, from 80 yards at maximum zoom (confirmed with my Leupold laser range-finder).

TheGrayMan, I've been reading this thread since I am in the market for a camera. I am looking at this Acti camera to identify license plates and make/models of cars.

How do you like the one you have? Would you recommend it? Anything else to add?

Thanks.

Acti makes some good cameras... their latest offerings in domes are very nice.  Unfortunately, they have a vaporware problem; the camera I linked above was supposed to have on-board storage.  After I purchased it (it's NOT cheap), I discovered that this advertised feature didn't exist yet... they hadn't enabled it in firmware.  I emailed them, and was assured that feature was imminent.  That was 9-10 months ago.  We're now 3-4 firmware-updates into the life of this camera, and they STILL haven't enabled it.  

What's more, they just consolidated their outdoor box-camera line... so they EOL'd this camera.  In other words, I may NEVER get the firmware update that allows me to use the MicroSD-card storage.

They advertised a BS feature, and wasted my money... naturally, this pisses me off.  

Here's a screen-grab, taken this very morning, from Acti's own website.  Note the first screen grab?  Yeah.  

Thanks for the info.

It sucks that Acti would do that with the firmware, especially on such an expensive camera. Sounds borderline bait-and-switch to me

Are there any other cameras that you would recommend to capture license plates?
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]

So far, not that impressed with the Brickcom camera.  It may LOOK like the Axis, but I had great difficulty getting it to talk to either of my access points (one a Dlink, and one a Ubiquiti Unifi).  In fact, it took a firmware upgrade to enable it to talk to the Dlink... and it still won't talk to the UniFi.

Also doesn't stream that well over wifi... the stream often freezes, or doesn't come across at all.  Doesn't seem to have that problem when hardwired.

Yuck!

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By billyjoebob:

I've been keeping up-to-date on this thread over the past few months.  I've wanted to install cameras throughout my house, but really didn't want to run network cable all over.

I finally came across the Foscam FI8910W, which is a wireless camera that's fully remotely controllable (300 degrees horizontally, and something like 120 degrees vertically).  

I installed four of them (two outside, two inside), and am so far thrilled with the results.  The pan-tilt on the cameras is awesome, and the video quality is pretty good.  I'm also very impressed with the night vision.  In full darkness, it easily illuminates a large room.  I figured outside would be a problem, but the IR illuminators seem good out to around 75 feet.  That, coupled with the automatic low-light lense (switches on automatically) lets me easily visualize out to a range of 100-150 feet (or my entire 1/2 acre yard if the motion lights kick on).

The remote control on the cameras can be a bit choppy depending on your internet connection and how close/strong the wifi signal to the camera is, but I expected that.  There are also great android apps that give you full control over all of the cameras functions (pan, tilt, duplex audio, IR on and off, etc).

My only concern is the durability and longevity of the outdoor units.  This model is rated for indoor use, but there's an FAQ on their web site that says it can be used outdoors if it's sheltered from precipitation and extreme weather.  They recommend mounting upside down under an overhang, which is what I did.  On the plus side...all of these cameras are warrantied for 2-years, so if one craps out I'll swap it for a new one (provided it doesnt look like it fell in a lake).

I bought two 2-packs directly from FOSCAM.US, which cost around $160 each (or $80/camera).  I think you can also get them on Amazon, and there was a groupon (with a better price) recently.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, so please let me know if anyone has any interest or wants sample camera pictures, and I'll IM them.

I was looking at these the other day. Do they record video or capture motion?

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#14]
tag.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 11:37:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smokenruger] [#15]
Wow, incredible thread.  

TGM, I know you haven't done an analog install in a while but I was hoping to get your thoughts on this camera and my intended use.    This is an existing system I want to upgrade.   I'm looking to mount it on the side of the house looking straight down covering 2 garage doors, and the cars in the driveway.   Driveway is big enough to fit 4 cars in a 2x2 parking pattern.    Camera is mounted approx 25' above ground.   I'll get pics of the current install tonight to give you a better idea of what I'm trying to do or maybe an MS Paint today just for fun.  

Amazon Link

ETA:  Camera will be exposed to all elements.  Wind, rain and snow.  No cover available.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By smokenruger:
Wow, incredible thread.  

TGM, I know you haven't done an analog install in a while but I was hoping to get your thoughts on this camera and my intended use.    This is an existing system I want to upgrade.   I'm looking to mount it on the side of the house looking straight down covering 2 garage doors, and the cars in the driveway.   Driveway is big enough to fit 4 cars in a 2x2 parking pattern.    Camera is mounted approx 25' above ground.   I'll get pics of the current install tonight to give you a better idea of what I'm trying to do or maybe an MS Paint today just for fun.  

Amazon Link

ETA:  Camera will be exposed to all elements.  Wind, rain and snow.  No cover available.

I have used that model camera before... it should take the elements just fine.

I have installed dozens and dozens of the CNB cameras,  they do make a bracket to mount the dome so you can get  a better FOV.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#18]
GrayMan,

Any chance you could do a quick writeup on your server set up? I am already planning on going to the next level and would like some suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]
How do you have your hard drives set up, RAID or as individual drives?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 1:10:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
How do you have your hard drives set up, RAID or as individual drives?

Individual drives... no RAID.

Thanks, I am already upgrading and its only been a few months since I started. I am moving towards a rack mount server setup with a firewall, larger POE switch, server, and battery backup. I will also be using the server for other home networking and will probably go with an I3 processor and use some spare parts I already have. Been searching ebay and newegg for a switch and firewall.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#23]
GrayMan,

When my power goes out (rare, but happens) my IP address changes and I have to redo the IP address on the app on my phone. What can I do to assign a static IP?
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 3:51:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#24]
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#25]
How long do you generally keep your videos, assuming nothing happens?  Do you have a standard length of time before deletion? (ie: "Everything is kept for one month and then deleted to open space for new video")

I imagine that keeping it for any serious length of time would eat up lost of money and storage space.

Just curious, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
How long do you generally keep your videos, assuming nothing happens?  Do you have a standard length of time before deletion? (ie: "Everything is kept for one month and then deleted to open space for new video")

I imagine that keeping it for any serious length of time would eat up lost of money and storage space.

Just curious, thanks.

Most DVR's can be set for circular recording, than factor in the  size of your hard drive, the number of cameras, how the cameras are recording ( event only, continous, etc) the amount of activity you have and you can record for a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Once the hard drive becomes full it starts to record over older memory. example: your dvr has thirty days of memory on day 31 it starts recording over day 1. And continues from there, it one reason i tell my customers if they have a clip they want to save they should pull it from the hard drive before its too late.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 12:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: speedracer422] [#28]
Not to take away from this thread, but I've been reading up on Dahua brand IP cams and NVRs on other forums and it looks like they are now being re branded by Q-see and sold at Costco.
They have a (4) 1.3 MP cam system w/ the Dahua NVR w/ built in POE switch and 1TB HD for only $699 The cams are pretty popular; ir cut filter, wide flood IR leds, nice daylight image...
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-4-Channel-HD-Digital-NVR-with-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-720p-IP-Cameras.product.100003211.html#BVRRWidgetID
(Though those are 1.3 cams, you must set them all at 720P to record all 4 chans simultaneously)
The Dahua stuff is making a lot of waves right now due to their price. Their policy is to only sell to other dealers to be re-branded and sold in the NA market, but a number of grey market guys have popped up, offering their OEM cams/DVRs/NVRs for low prices and their own warranties since buying grey market voids any manufacturer support Still, $200 for a 2MP Dome camera, IP66 rated is hard to beat!
The ability to buy them from an American company with established aftermarket support right at Costco seems pretty sweet
Here is a review of the cams in that kit: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=882
And here is a review of their Non-POE NVR: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=962 (it's the same model line as the costco one, but doesn't include the built in POE switch).
ETA: those are the 6mm version with the package though. Those cameras are generally sold with the 3.6mm lenses)
Here is day and nighttime video of the 6mm cams at 720P and the full 30fps recording:

(click on youtube to watch them in full 720P)
Day:

Night:

Speed

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like a wonderful product for the price Speed!

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#32]
How do you handle streaming the video offsite for security purposes?  I'm trying to eliminate the possibility that thieves might find the DVR.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#33]

A set of emails from external cameras would have alerted the owners that somebody was snooping around, and allowed them to tip the police to the presence of the prowlers.

Yep, makes all of the difference.

Uninvited guests:

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

A set of emails from external cameras would have alerted the owners that somebody was snooping around, and allowed them to tip the police to the presence of the prowlers.

Yep, makes all of the difference.

Uninvited guests:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IKY-GVNM-rk/UDJZizgtMwI/AAAAAAAAL2k/9V-H-eHDRXg/s1024/Image.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bpDKGXsqWFA/UBf9fAnGdJI/AAAAAAAALco/pLTlZ1fjF4A/s352/ch05.jpg

Needs more land mines.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

Needs more land mines.  

Naw, I like my UPS guy. He brings me toys.

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

Needs more land mines.  

Naw, I like my UPS guy. He brings me toys.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N0qJcofzDIM/UIBdzh5Np2I/AAAAAAAAMR8/PUzV9XDjAZw/s1024/Image.jpg

Did you ever get that telephone pole planted?  

Actually, it is on my project list for next week!! I'm taking the week off because my dad is visiting and we always tackle a few fun projects. I can't wait.

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 10:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Libertyhillguy] [#39]
this may be a stupid buy what about this:
Foscam

I do here good things about it for the price
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#41]
How do you guys deal with motion detection notifications when you are home? I recently put a camera to monitor my garage but there is no way to easily disable motion detection when I am home and working in the garage or to re-enable it when I leave. I dont have a dvr computer setup yet so maybe the built in camera options are just too limited but is there some dvr software/hardware that can tie into an alarm system so it only sends motion notifications when the alarm is active?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 2:47:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Thank you, I didnt realize that dvr systems had input contacts on them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Any recommendations for an indoor camera with built in IR for my garage? I already have 2 Acti and 1 Vivotek. I really like the user interface on the Acti and the only thing they have is the TCM-3511. Just seeing if there are any other options.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Any recommendations for an indoor camera with built in IR for my garage? I already have 2 Acti and 1 Vivotek. I really like the user interface on the Acti and the only thing they have is the TCM-3511. Just seeing if there are any other options.

I would seriously reconsider that. I always use external illuminators... none of the built-in IR cameras have a wide-enough light dispersion, and in a garage area, it will attract bugs and spiders.  

Just get a regular day/night Acti, and put a separate illuminator in the center of the garage ceiling.  That's what I did, and the pic quality is great.  I even wired my Acti to a garage-door contact, so I get an email slide-show every time the garage door is opened.  

Very happy with it.

I am on this bandwagon now.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#47]

I would seriously reconsider that.  I always use external illuminators... none of the built-in IR cameras have a wide-enough light dispersion, and in a garage area, it will attract bugs and spiders.  

Just get a regular day/night Acti, and put a separate illuminator in the center of the garage ceiling.  That's what I did, and the pic quality is great.  I even wired my Acti to a garage-door contact, so I get an email slide-show every time the garage door is opened.  

Very happy with it.

Did you ever find a replacement IR dome illuminator like your old one? I don't see too many options on ebay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:49:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#48]
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I will reaffirm the importance of placement.  We had $20k in air conditioners stolen from one of our locations last week.  I installed all the cameras in the showroom, and told the store manager to call me when he was ready to order the outside camera and I would cover a couple things.  He did it without calling me, put a standard outside pedestal camera, and pointed it straight down at the units.  Then he ran the cable along a gutter and penetrated the wall at shoulder height.  So after 10 minutes of watching a St. Louis Cardinals hat, two hoodies and a beanie steal our a/c's-they cut the cord and stole the camera.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top