Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:18:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#1]
nevermind....new page yay

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 10:08:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#3]

Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
And I've never tried Xprotect for triggered events, or motion-control recording.

I have. The events work well for things like losing camera connection or disk full messages, but the software motion detection is predictably sub-par.

It has all of the features you'd expect, such as privacy masks, and sensitivity and throttling, but I think software motion detection always sucks.

ETA: I've also found that you cannot record 24/7 and do motion alerting.

The motion alerts are integrated into the 'record on motion' component, and one cannot exist without the other. It's a really annoying quirk that would be trivial to fix in the code.

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]
My crappy "bargain" analog cameras are less than a year old, and already two of them need to be replaced...

This is not something you can get into for cheap, and expect to be happy. Buy quality stuff guys.

Oh, and go IP. Analog is for the birds!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 1:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#6]

Holy Toledo...  
500-camera system served one man...
And the taxpayers paid for that shizzle too.  

Based on the article, that government is about to spend more than the cost of the system to 'investigate' it.

Common sense isn't so common any more.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the Milestone iPhone app for XprotectGo.

Took me months to get it to work.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#9]
After sitting in a cabinet for almost two years, I finally was able to configure my router and switch.

Even got a one of my acti cam's up on my laptop!

The fiancée was very cold to the idea of camera's but lately has been becoming more supportive, we even planned out the locations and view points today.

Finally getting some traction after two years!
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 9:35:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigshooter81] [#11]
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:
After sitting in a cabinet for almost two years, I finally was able to configure my router and switch.

Even got a one of my acti cam's up on my laptop!

The fiancée was very cold to the idea of camera's but lately has been becoming more supportive, we even planned out the locations and view points today.

Finally getting some traction after two years
!

My system has paid for itself with the crimes and vandalism it has solved.  

You'll kick yourself once something happens, and you had all that equipment just sitting there, unused.

absolutely, not to mention the $$ in equipment just collecting dust.

ETA: I have all acti cam's... would I be better served by using acti software for my nvr/desktop combo?

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Tagging.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
I currently have four Acti cameras and am running their software. I have everything going to a 24 port POE switch and then my desk top computer with an extra 2TB that everything is being recorded on. I want to add backup storage in another location within the house other than my desk top computer. I have been looking at adding another computer in another room or adding a network storage device such as a Netgear ReadyNas or a HP Micro Server.

What options/opions are there for storing the video in another location within the house?

What version/application are you using?

I downloaded the nvr workstation and server and while the workstation came up and looked to be running I could not get past the log in ?

It came up with a username and password required for entry screen... I tried the acti default with no luck

also is the 2TB hard drive space external or internal?

I'm a novice when it comes to computers, sorry for any stupid questions.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 7:51:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#14]
Is there a way to take IP cameras and integrate them into an analog recorder that only has analog camera inputs. I am now hybrid and want to do this before replacing the recording unit with a stand alone computer based hybrid system.

ETA:  fter some googling, looks like I should just start from scratch and build an IP NVR.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By speedracer422:
Not to take away from this thread, but I've been reading up on Dahua brand IP cams and NVRs on other forums and it looks like they are now being re branded by Q-see and sold at Costco.
They have a (4) 1.3 MP cam system w/ the Dahua NVR w/ built in POE switch and 1TB HD for only $699 The cams are pretty popular; ir cut filter, wide flood IR leds, nice daylight image...
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-4-Channel-HD-Digital-NVR-with-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-720p-IP-Cameras.product.100003211.html#BVRRWidgetID
(Though those are 1.3 cams, you must set them all at 720P to record all 4 chans simultaneously)

The Dahua stuff is making a lot of waves right now due to their price. Their policy is to only sell to other dealers to be re-branded and sold in the NA market, but a number of grey market guys have popped up, offering their OEM cams/DVRs/NVRs for low prices and their own warranties since buying grey market voids any manufacturer support Still, $200 for a 2MP Dome camera, IP66 rated is hard to beat!

The ability to buy them from an American company with established aftermarket support right at Costco seems pretty sweet

Here is a review of the cams in that kit: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=882
And here is a review of their Non-POE NVR: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=962 (it's the same model line as the costco one, but doesn't include the built in POE switch).

ETA: those are the 6mm version with the package though. Those cameras are generally sold with the 3.6mm lenses)
Here is day and nighttime video of the 6mm cams at 720P and the full 30fps recording:
(click on youtube to watch them in full 720P)

Day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgttU18zWwY

This looks cool, built in dvr, poe, etc. can you recommend anything else similar?  Im looking for a complete solution.

Also how can I be notified by text of motion?  Is this possible?

Night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eQzTFRLiZM

Speed

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By Mach:

Is there a way to take IP cameras and integrate them into an analog recorder that only has analog camera inputs. I am now hybrid and want to do this before replacing the recording unit with a stand alone computer based hybrid system.

ETA:  fter some googling, looks like I should just start from scratch and build an IP NVR.

Yea, you'd be better off going the other way. Make your recorder an NVR, and use a analog server to move your analog signals onto IP.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#18]

I downloaded the nvr workstation and server and while the workstation came up and looked to be running I could not get past the log in ?

It came up with a username and password required for entry screen... I tried the acti default with no luck

Thanks.

I am using the NVR3 Workstation. I downloaded the latest version when I installed it a few months ago. When you download the versions per Acti's instructions you have to start with the oldest first (or your current version) and work your way to the newest one. I don't remember the default password but it is usually admin for the user name and 123456 for the password. It seems to work very well for the Acti cameras, but will not accept a Vivotek. As for the hard drives, I am using an internal 2 TB drive. I have my operating system on a solid state drive and my recording go to the 2 TB drive. That way if my 2 TB drive fills up it does not crash the system.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:

Thanks.

I am using the NVR3 Workstation. I downloaded the latest version when I installed it a few months ago. When you download the versions per Acti's instructions you have to start with the oldest first (or your current version) and work your way to the newest one. I don't remember the default password but it is usually admin for the user name and 123456 for the password. It seems to work very well for the Acti cameras, but will not accept a Vivotek. As for the hard drives, I am using an internal 2 TB drive. I have my operating system on a solid state drive and my recording go to the 2 TB drive. That way if my 2 TB drive fills up it does not crash the system.

Thanks for the reply, once I have the all the downloads(done in correct order) finished should it just fire right up or was there some configuring involved?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Once you log into the NVR3Workstation all you need to is add your Acti Cameras and it will begin. When I log in it shows a 4 tiled screen with each of my cameras on the right and a status on the left side.

Grayman, have you heard anything about the newer Acti cameras? I see they have alot of new models with alot of different features. I looked for reviews, but don't see any.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I was looking at Acti's new E series IP cameras. They now have alot of different models kinda like Vivotek. I think they are too new to have alot of reviews and some are not even out yet. ALso looks like they have started to discontinue some of there older line, I was surprised to see the KCM-7211 is now discontinued.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 11:28:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#23]
I thought I would share something I started doing with reflective tape. It reflects IR very well and I am using it to show that doors are closed and windows intact.

Here are some pics.

Here you can see 2 white dots above the garage door. These are reflective tape reflecting the IR. they are only visible to the camera if the door is completely closed

Here they are on the top left corner of the door. It is 2 dots. One on the frame and one on the door. When the door is closed they are one dot, when slightly open, it shows up as 2 dots. Also on the window panes. The windows are painted black so nobody can see in. The dots show the windows to be intact.

Here is reflective tape showing the sliding door handle position, the screen door position and on the glass door that moves.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mach:
I thought I would share something I started doing with reflective tape. It reflects IR very well and I am using it to show that doors are closed and windows intact.

Here are some pics.

Here you can see 2 white dots above the garage door. These are reflective tape reflecting the IR. they are only visible to the camera if the door is completely closed

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/09dd086bbc4eda219c3bb73295428f73_zpsee486eee.jpg

Here they are on the top left corner of the door. It is 2 dots. One on the frame and one on the door. When the door is closed they are one dot, when slightly open, it shows up as 2 dots. Also on the window panes. The windows are painted black so nobody can see in. The dots show the windows to be intact.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/61e5f56a9fbf35a8376dde403e2b02c9_zps86b71c11.jpg

Here is reflective tape showing the sliding door handle position, the screen door position and on the glass door that moves.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/5fb05b4345497629c23bd1327f504a53_zps09c4fa28.jpg

That's a GREAT idea!

Link Posted: 3/15/2013 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#26]
What would be a good price for these "GVI security outdoor vandal proof dome IP surveillance cameras"  currently on the Governemnt Auction page:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6115991&convertTo=USD

Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 10:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#28]
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Paging Captain Obvious to the white courtesy phone.

Link

ETA:  knocking/pretending to be selling something, or looking for insert-random-name-here are a common burglar MOs.  If nobody answers, they either kick the door, or go around back and make entry through a rear door or window.

At the risk of being the Captain, there is a particular danger here for folks who are more cautious than others about who they open the door for. In our house, the rule is that if my wife is alone and doesn't know the knocker she does not have to open the door (and is encouraged not to). The obvious outcome here would be a burglary-turned-home-invasion if she doesn't open the door and the knocker doesn't realize she's there.

Thanks for the excellent thread.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm thinking about a CCTV system for my house.  I've a few questions...

1.  I'm going to soon put in an alarm system consisting of door sensors, motion detectors, and an indoor siren.  it will probably be partially wired and partially wireless all monitored by an alarm company.  This way if they do break in, they will probably leave.  When I lived in Houston, the deputies there told me they never heard on any burglar sticking around after the alarm went off.  Do you agree the most protection comes from a supervised alarm system?

2.  If I put in a CCTV system, I'd probably cover 4 areas...front door, driveway, back patio viewing 4 doors onto patio plus hot tub, side yard and storage building.  This would not allow me to cover the full house exterior but the 4 cameras could cover all the doors.  My problem is the hot tub.  How do I keep the GD pervs from watching my wife and I going to and exiting from the hot tub?  Ha!  We are in our 60s but that wont stop em. I think there is a way to block out portions of the view but that would also block the MBR outside door which eliminates coverage of a possible entry point.  Maybe try to remember to turn the system off when hot tubbing?

3.  My attic doesn't have enough insulation to suit me.  I'm going to add more this summer or fall.  Once I do that I think I will no longer be able to add wire into the attic.  How do you guys get around this?  Do you just barge through the blown in insulation, or find another way to route the cables?  Or will I have to be sure to get all the cable I might want up there before insulating?
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Traveler:

1.  I'm going to soon put in an alarm system consisting of door sensors, motion detectors, and an indoor siren.  it will probably be partially wired and partially wireless all monitored by an alarm company.  This way if they do break in, they will probably leave.  When I lived in Houston, the deputies there told me they never heard on any burglar sticking around after the alarm went off.  Do you agree the most protection comes from a supervised alarm system?

2.  If I put in a CCTV system, I'd probably cover 4 areas...front door, driveway, back patio viewing 4 doors onto patio plus hot tub, side yard and storage building.  This would not allow me to cover the full house exterior but the 4 cameras could cover all the doors.  My problem is the hot tub.  How do I keep the GD pervs from watching my wife and I going to and exiting from the hot tub?  Ha!  We are in our 60s but that wont stop em. I think there is a way to block out portions of the view but that would also block the MBR outside door which eliminates coverage of a possible entry point.  Maybe try to remember to turn the system off when hot tubbing?

3.  My attic doesn't have enough insulation to suit me.  I'm going to add more this summer or fall.  Once I do that I think I will no longer be able to add wire into the attic.  How do you guys get around this?  Do you just barge through the blown in insulation, or find another way to route the cables?  Or will I have to be sure to get all the cable I might want up there before insulating?

Of course its easier to do before the additional insulation. I have done rewiring and some electrical additions in attics with blown in insulation. Its not fun, but not impossible either.

Its best not to disturb the insulation if you can avoid it. In my experience, I've seen where the insulation has been compressed or moved out of areas by others that were up there before me. I try to put it all back when I'm done with my work.

Its messy/dirty but completely doable.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#33]

To answer question number three, in the industry we call it snorkling. Blown in insulation is not a deal breaker
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I phrased my first question poorly.  To rephrase...would you agree that a supervised alarm system would be preferable and should be a higher priority than a CCTV system?
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I phrased my first question poorly.  To rephrase...would you agree that a supervised alarm system would be preferable and should be a higher priority than a CCTV system?

I have been in the security industry for over seven years, a supervised alarm system does take priority over a camera system. A alarm system will send out a signal when a alarm is triggered., a  camera system will record what happened when the alarm went off. You will want to layer your security. First and foremost is the physical security, dead bolts, kick plates, fencing, motion activated lighting etc. You want your property to be so overwelming that a perp will look for a easier target. Second you would want a alarm system that will alert the police in a timely fashion. And you would want a camera system in place to record for evidence what had happened.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm planning to route a solid CAT5E cable to every spot I might want a camera in the future.  At each potential camera location I'll coil up a additional couple feet of cable in the soffit. So when it comes time to install a camera ill just need to bring the cable down through a hole in the soffit.

When installing the Ethernet cable in the attic, should I just lay it over the existing insulation where it will be covered up with the new insulation or should I hang it from the roof joists?  

Any other tips on the best procedures to route the cables in the attic?
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm planning to route a solid CAT5E cable to every spot I might want a camera in the future.  At each potential camera location I'll coil up a additional couple feet of cable in the soffit. So when it comes time to install a camera ill just need to bring the cable down through a hole in the soffit.

When installing the Ethernet cable in the attic, should I just lay it over the existing insulation where it will be covered up with the new insulation or should I hang it from the roof joists?  
[list]
[*]
Any other tips on the best procedures to route the cables in the attic?

That is what I would do... I wouldn't hang it.

A few advantages to hanging it are, easier to trace the cable if you ever need to, prevents the possiability of EMI, and  also lessens the chance of the cable being damaged if you ever have sub contractors stomping around in the attic working other things(ie hvac, electrical, etc)
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like good reasons to hang.  But a lot of work.  Should I use staples to hang?
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like good reasons to hang.  But a lot of work.  Should I use staples to hang?

You can get J hooks from  your local electrical supply houses, or Home  Depot/ Lowes. Just run a sheet rock srew or two to mount them and you can lay the cable in, zip tie the cable to the hook if you prefer. The J hooks work very well to kepp your attic lines clean, i have seen a few guys trip on cable buried in blown in insulation and take a tumble.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Are these j hooks in electrical or plumbing?  I've seen j hooks for hanging pipe. Is that what you are suggesting?

Thanks for your and everyone elses help!
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Are these j hooks in electrical or plumbing?  I've seen j hooks for hanging pipe. Is that what you are suggesting?

Thanks for your and everyone elses help!

http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/Cable-Management/J-Hooks

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#45]
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the great write up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Slightly off topic:

But can anyone recommend a simple programmable auto dialer.

Basically I have been task to set up a pair of panic buttons - one for Police and one to alert Engineering and the GM. ( Some of our onsite CCW holders.)

There have been issues with a known mental case stalker recently. While this individual is in lockup at present it has made everyone here re-think the security preps.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top