Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's not what I said. Work on your reading comprehension.

Pulling someone over requires a crime.
Police should be required to notify you of that crime so they don't have a month to play creative writing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does knowing the reason make the stop good or bad? No. If you think the stop was bad you go to court and fight it there not on the side of the street.
Depends. There was a department a few years ago that was pulling over vehicles that we're driving legally and giving them gift certificates...
That's a 4th Amendment violation and the citizens involved should have sued the ever-loving pants off the officers and agency involved.
How, please explain O'Supreme Count Justice, how that violated the 4th Amendment?
Pulling someone over requires reasonable suspicion that they have commited, are committing,  or are about to commit a crime. If there is no crime then there can be no reasonable suspicion.  No reasonable suspicion means that you have been unreasonably seized.

How is this hard?

Also this is why I think police should have to state the reason for pulling you over either to the driver or note it in some other way at that time. I police officer shouldn't  have a month and hindsight to figure out why he pilled you over.
What does that have to do with an obligation to tell the stopped driver anything?  Do you want to pretend a cop cant have reasonalbe suspicion unless he tells the driver before getting ID?

You dont understand how the fourth amendment works.

Police should be required to notify you of that crime so they don't have a month to play creative writing.
I read fine, smug one.  Work on your comm skills if your message is fucked. And it is.

A cop can have a reason to pull you over and not tell you.  The fourth amendment doesnt require that the cop tell you why he pulled you over.  

A month?  Hyperbolic frenzy much?   If he cites you, its on the ticket, a minute after he pulls you,over.

Leave the law to people who understand it.  

And, not to put too fine a point on it, but its an infraction, not a crime.  

You really think he didnt pull him over for a witnessed infraction?

Get a clue.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Oh, I know that the government likes to play games and say that it is a civil action or an infraction all so that they get a lower burden of proof and you don't have a right to a lawyer. But as far as I'm concerned,  if the government is coming after you in court it should be considered crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pulling someone over requires reasonable suspicion that they have commited, are committing,  or are about to commit a crime. If there is no crime then there can be no reasonable suspicion.  No reasonable suspicion means that you have been unreasonably seized.
Motor vehicle violations are crimes?
Oh, I know that the government likes to play games and say that it is a civil action or an infraction all so that they get a lower burden of proof and you don't have a right to a lawyer. But as far as I'm concerned,  if the government is coming after you in court it should be considered crime.
Oh, i see.  Youve got your own version of how the constitution works.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The idea that the government should treat violations of the law as crimes rather than as a monetary dispute between two parties is an affront to the Constitution?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You know you're about to get fucked up when cops put gloves on, lol. That looks like the same apartments where a Taylor officer was shot and killed a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I feel SO much safer now. Props on that officer for being such a sincere public servant.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The idea that the government should treat violations of the law as crimes rather than as a monetary dispute between two parties is an affront to the Constitution?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...because thats what i said?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So then what did you then mean by "Youve (sic) got your own version of how the constitution (sic) works."?

Perhaps you should learn to express your position with your words before telling other people theirs isn't up to snuff.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You don't think you deserve to know why a cop pulls you over?

What if you hand over your license and registration, then he comes back from his car and hands you a reckless driving ticket 30 feet from dropping your kid off at daycare because he hates white people? Or maybe because he's behind on his quota?
View Quote
If he hands you a ticket, you've got the reason right there, in writing, don't you?  

What you don't get to do is appoint yourself as the judge and conduct a trial through the window and/or impose your own set of rules or conditions on if, how, or after what other events you will produce what you are legally obligated to.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If he hands you a ticket, you've got the reason right there, in writing, don't you?  

What you don't get to do is appoint yourself as the judge and conduct a trial through the window and/or impose your own set of rules or conditions on if, how, or after what other events you will produce what you are legally obligated to.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think you deserve to know why a cop pulls you over?

What if you hand over your license and registration, then he comes back from his car and hands you a reckless driving ticket 30 feet from dropping your kid off at daycare because he hates white people? Or maybe because he's behind on his quota?

Plus if you tell them then you wouldn't be able to play the stupid "Do you know why I pulled you over?" game.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is there a legal requirement on the police to de-escalate people who refuse to obey the law, or is there a legal requirement for people to obey the law in the first place and de-escalate their own unlawful behavior when confronted by the police?

I'll give you a hint, the former doesn't exist except in the mind of the ACLU and some idiotic department policies. The latter has been the law of the land since longer than you've been alive.

If you commit a traffic violation you don't get to put conditions on when you produce your documents. You stopped being in control of the interaction when you violated the law and got pulled over. The officer doesn't owe you an explanation before you produce the documents you are required to carry when operating a vehicle. The interaction can consist entirely of "Give me your license and registration" and "Here is your ticket for xxx." Explaining the reason for the stop is just the polite thing to do, not a legal requirement, and you most certainly do not get to play the "You have to tell me what I did" game.
View Quote
I hope you don't have a badge, because that kind of thinking is the exact reason the ACLU and other groups have gained so much ground/support over the last 10 years or so. As much as you want to play the "cause you can doesn't mean you should" card for citizens, it also applies to LEOs. Actions do have consequences and btw not all crimes are equal.
A serial rapist falls up a few flights of steps? No cares. Someone rolls through a stop sign at 5mph and ends up getting pulled out of a half opened or broken out window? Officer friendly needs to find a new career.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Justifiable smash, although, I would have probably handled it differently.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
showing driver's license to a cop at a traffic stop is part of the conditions of having a DL
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Eh, fastest ive seen is 17 seconds from lights on to broken glass and the polyester party.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#14]
He chose poorly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sort of.

Got pulled over one night on the interstate, had my cruise at 72 (70 speed limit).  Trooper said he clocked me doing 83.  I was like, uh, no, you didn't.  Takes my license and registration back to his car, comes back and repeats again that he clocked me doing 83.  I said, "I'm not calling you a liar so maybe you gunned someone else, I have no idea, but there's no fucking way in hell you gunned me at 83.  I've had my cruise set for the past 45 miles at the same exact speed.  I'm in no hurry to get where I'm going so no, you did not clock me going 83 mph.  So, yeah."  He was like, "well, just make sure we're going the speed limit, have a good night."

View Quote
Sounds to me like he intended to issue you a warning the entire time.  You didn't win an argument with a cop on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The city very well may pay out "go away money". In today's society that is common and unfortunately ends up being part of the norm that we see now.

Does the guy deserve any money? Nope, but that is left up to the city and insurance company.
View Quote
Yep, that post is completely correct.

Some departments figure out what they expect the defense against a law suit will cost, and will automatically settle for a certain percentage or less.  Right and wrong on the part of the officer isn't a factor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Because apparently there was no God damn good reason for the stop sans fishing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I read fine, smug one.  Work on your comm skills if your message is fucked. And it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does knowing the reason make the stop good or bad? No. If you think the stop was bad you go to court and fight it there not on the side of the street.
Depends. There was a department a few years ago that was pulling over vehicles that we're driving legally and giving them gift certificates...
That's a 4th Amendment violation and the citizens involved should have sued the ever-loving pants off the officers and agency involved.
How, please explain O'Supreme Count Justice, how that violated the 4th Amendment?

How is this hard?

Also this is why I think police should have to state the reason for pulling you over either to the driver or note it in some other way at that time. I police officer shouldn't  have a month and hindsight to figure out why he pilled you over.
What does that have to do with an obligation to tell the stopped driver anything?  Do you want to pretend a cop cant have reasonalbe suspicion unless he tells the driver before getting ID?

Or perhaps you are still getting confused because you are trying to read into what I'm saying.
Quoted:
A cop can have a reason to pull you over and not tell you.  The fourth amendment doesnt require that the cop tell you why he pulled you over.  
Is there really a harm in expecting the cop to enter the reason into his MDT or tell dispatch when he informs them he tells them he is pulling someone over?
Quoted:
A month?  Hyperbolic frenzy much?   If he cites you, its on the ticket, a minute after he pulls you,over.
Not always though. A police officer can cite week's later. He can pull you over for a broken taillight and the 'smell weed.
Quoted:
Leave the law to people who understand it.  
I do understand it. You'll note that I've mentioned how I think it should be done. Not how it is done.
Quoted:
And, not to put too fine a point on it, but its an infraction, not a crime.  
Because it lets them have a lower burden of proof. It allows the state to succeed when it is he said/ she said.
Quoted:
You really think he didnt pull him over for a witnessed infraction?

Get a clue.
If everything is above board, then what is the harm?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
showing driver's license to a cop at a traffic stop is part of the conditions of having a DL
View Quote
8 pages and it really is that fuckin simple.  The driver held all the cards and choose the path that resulted in him being cuffed and stuffed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He chose poorly.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Because apparently there was no God damn good reason for the stop sans fishing.
View Quote
It's Taylor.  It's a shit hole with a shit police department.  The police force is all about revenue collection.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He chose poorly.
View Quote
Of course he chose poorly, he was in Taylor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
8 pages and it really is that fuckin simple.  The driver held all the cards and choose the path that resulted in him being cuffed and stuffed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bingo
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Both the driver and the cop were assholes.        

Does the cop have to tell you why they pulled you over, nope they do not have to but does it hurt any thing?    If nothing else it would have shown that the officer tried to work with the guy.

Simple fact is every LEO is a public relations officer as well.    Nope its not a law, but if they think other wise they are stupid fools.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So then what did you then mean by "Youve (sic) got your own version of how the constitution (sic) works."?

Perhaps you should learn to express your position with your words before telling other people theirs isn't up to snuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another blow hard dispensing persuasive writing tips online.

How refreshing.  

I make a living expressing myself, cupcake. The day i need advice from you is the day i hang up my shingle .

And dont have a fit because your idiotic "so you mean (something the other person didint say, nor is it a logical extension of anything they wrote)" got smashed.

Here is a pro tip. I will say what i think, you get to say what you think.  Ham handed and moronic extensions of what you think my postion means, while popular with mushy headed know it alls, is a crappy debate tactic.  

The fourth amendment doesnt say, and has never been held to say, that if a cop has probable cause, hey must reveal it to the accused, traffic or not, nor has it been held to say that if a cop doesnt state probable cause to the accused, there is no probable cause.

Its got nothing to do with, nor does it require me to address, whether an infraction should be a crime.

Carry on.

Edit, love the (sic) commentary. Always a sign of a rational argument.

Ill let you know if i need an editor.  Wait by the phone.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Letting the driver control the stop doesn't de-escalate things. Letting the driver play the "I am not cooperating until the officer answers my questions " game gives control to the driver. The driver thinks he can argue and fight the stop right there.  That makes everything worse.
View Quote
Muh command presence! Dude is an asshole true, but cop is too and the difference is the public employs the cop. Should one never ever ever question authority? If it's not a valid stop dude has no legal requirement to provide ID, how fucking hard is it to just give a reason if you have one? I get you can't let the guy take over the stop but a lot of cops are taking this command and control shit too far in a society that does not respond as their instructors taught them. When I get pulled over I know why, but if a
cop initiates contact with me for seemingly no reason I will
Politely ask the reason and this guy does ask the reason politely.

Is driving RS of not having a license? No mother fucker it's not so you better have a reason.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Muh command presence! Dude is an asshole true, but cop is too and the difference is the public employs the cop. Should one never ever ever question authority? If it's not a valid stop dude has no legal requirement to provide ID, how fucking hard is it to just give a reason if you have one? I get you can't let the guy take over the stop but a lot of cops are taking this command and control shit too far in a society that does not respond as their instructors taught them. When I get pulled over I know why, but if a

Is driving RS of not having a license? No mother fucker it's not so you better have a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Letting the driver control the stop doesn't de-escalate things. Letting the driver play the "I am not cooperating until the officer answers my questions " game gives control to the driver. The driver thinks he can argue and fight the stop right there.  That makes everything worse.

So a roadside courtroom/fight is the way to go?  

Come on.  

What about when the cop says "i pulled you over for running that stop sign," and citizen of the month says, "no, i didnt.  Im not showing id, this is an unlawful stop"?  

You say you know why you get pulled over, why doesnt this guy?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ham handed and moronic extensions of what you think my postion means, while popular with mushy headed know it alls, is a crappy debate tactic.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ham handed and moronic extensions of what you think my postion means, while popular with mushy headed know it alls, is a crappy debate tactic.  
This is funny as hell after you wrote this:
Quoted:

Quoted:
The fourth amendment doesnt say, and has never been held to say, that if a cop has probable cause, hey must reveal it to the accused, traffic or not, nor has it been held to say that if a cop doesnt state probable cause to the accused, there is no probable cause.
Let me draw your attention back to my earilier statement because it seems you are stuck executing on what you've said is a crappy debate tactic.

Quoted:
See that word THINK? That means that I understand that it isn't a current requirement.

Quoted:
Its got nothing to do with, nor does it require me to address, whether an infraction should be a crime.
Then why did you quote a discussion on that?
Quoted:
Perhaps you should follow your own advice again.

Quoted:
Work on your comm skills if your message is fucked. And it is.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Its not that hard for the cop to just tell the guy why he was being pulled over. Its not a big deal but the cop wanted to play big boss man and be in charge. Well now he's got a shitshow on his hands. You can be technically correct and still find yourself in a mess. Now he's broken the guys window and dragged him out of the car.....over what? In this climate he could have handled it much better.

The driver....you're not gonna win on the side of the road. Give up your license and insurance and argue about it later through the court system, lawyer or filing a complaint if you feel you've been wronged.

Two boneheads making poor choices but honestly....like another poster said, I hate when they wont say why they pulled you over or play the game of "do you know why?"  No, I dont know why because I'm not incriminating myself (which is why they do that).
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Come on.  

What about when the cop says "i pulled you over for running that stop sign," and citizen of the month says, "no, i didnt.  Im not showing id, this is an unlawful stop"?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on.  

I've highlighted the important part for you.
This might help too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Drivers License, Registration, Proof of Insurance.... It isn't really that hard of a concept to understand.
Has anyone ever won an argument with a cop on the side of the road?
View Quote
Yes, I was in the back seat of a vehicle when it was stopped. The officer requested, repeatedly, then demanded to see my ID, eventually becoming hostile and threating. I politely declined a few times and then adamantly refused.

Never showed my ID. No incident ensued. Not citation issued.

FYI, it was a BS stop. We were stopped as part of a drug interdiction scheme that involves profiling. Vehicles pulling a box trailer are stopped. We were not speeding or committing any violation.

To the topic, good shoot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Based on the dialogue that I heard (haven't finished the video yet): "I'll tell you what's going on, you're probably suspended so you don't want to show me your license" combined with the fact that the officer appeared to have been waiting for that particular video...

It appears to me that the officer recognized the driver and knew him to be suspended, so he stopped him for driving while suspended.
View Quote
out of sate plates in Mich.  FL plates so I don't think he knew him.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Let me draw your attention back to my earilier statement because it seems you are stuck executing on what you've said is a crappy debate tactic.

See that word THINK? That means that I understand that it isn't a current requirement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Work on your comm skills if your message is fucked. And it is.
Thats a lot of work to try to pretend youre correct.  

Youre not, though.

So now youre pretending that if i quote a discussion of some point, but do not say something about the entire quote, then you get to tell me what i think about the part i did not speak to? Is that the way this works?  

No wonder you persist in thinking youre doing well.

You could really use a clue.

Ive been utterly consistent, clear, and correct.  

The fourth amendment doesnt say, nor has it ever been held to require, that probable cause be stated by an investigating officer to the accused at any point before an arrest.  Because it doesnt require it.  .

Its also never been held to erase probable cause if the investigating officer doesnt disclose it.

It doesnt matter what you "think", amd your posts confirm thst youre using that term loosely.  Your subjective thoughts on what cops should have to do is neither relevant to a critique of this cop's actions, not is it interesting

My position does NOT require me to state a position on infraction versus criminal act, because the fourth amendment doesnt require it for a crime, which is what the courts are looking at in most reviews of this subject. If its not required for a suspected crime, then even if an infraction "should be" a crime, it is not a requirement that a cop state probable cause on the roadside.  

And, of course, practically speaking, it solves nothing.  The combative people are simply going to proclsim that they didnt do whatever the cop says he saw them do.  

Stop trying to slice up my posts in some half assed crusade to pretend something is "funny as hell" or that you get to use my words aganst me.  

Youve yet to catch me in a contradiction, or make some reasoned argument that my statements are incorrect.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The fourth amendment doesnt say, nor has it ever been held to require, that probable cause be stated by an investigating officer to the accused at any point before an arrest.  Because it doesnt require it.  .

Its also never been held to erase probable cause if the investigating officer doesnt disclose it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I never said it did. You are arguing against yourself.
Quoted:
It doesnt matter what you "think", amd your posts confirm thst youre using that term loosely.  Your subjective thoughts on what cops should have to do is neither relevant to a critique of this cop's actions, not is it interesting
Yet you keep replying.
Quoted:
My position does NOT require me to state a position on infraction versus criminal act, because the fourth amendment doesnt require it for a crime, which is what the courts are looking at in most reviews of this subject. If its not required for a suspected crime, then even if an infraction "should be" a crime, it is not a requirement that a cop state probable cause on the roadside.  
What the fuck are you talking about and in what language?
Quoted:
And, of course, practically speaking, it solves nothing.  The combative people are simply going to proclsim that they didnt do whatever the cop says he saw them do.  
I don't care. Not one bit. Maybe they will keep arguing. So fucking what?
Quoted:
Stop trying to slice up my posts in some half assed crusade to pretend something is "funny as hell" or that you get to use my words aganst me.  
Make me.
Quoted:
Youve yet to catch me in a contradiction, or make some reasoned argument that my statements are incorrect.
I've caught you in a lot of contradictions. At least I think I have. Your version of English is hard to read.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#37]
No dogs were shot in the making of that video.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You guys do understand even the ACLU said everything the cop did as perfectly legal?
View Quote
You understand that legal doesn't necessarily mean right?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Another blow hard dispensing persuasive writing tips online.

How refreshing.  

I make a living expressing myself, cupcake. The day i need advice from you is the day i hang up my shingle .

And dont have a fit because your idiotic "so you mean (something the other person didint say, nor is it a logical extension of anything they wrote)" got smashed.

Here is a pro tip. I will say what i think, you get to say what you think.  Ham handed and moronic extensions of what you think my postion means, while popular with mushy headed know it alls, is a crappy debate tactic.  

Carry on.

Ill let you know if i need an editor.  Wait by the phone.
View Quote
When did you "smash my argument", or even respond to the actual content of my post at all?  The only time you even mention it is to say you won't answer it.  

As for the rest of your "rant" I hope you have a more intimidating presence in person because it's just amusing in text.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
8 pages and some still don't realize that's not the issue. That cop went 1 to 10 real quick and it was unnecessary. People who snap like that shouldn't be "protecting" us.

IMO both parties were to blame. Cop should just say why he's pulling him over and dude should have given his I.D.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
yup, rol through a stop and then play "who is the bigger dickhead" with the cop, and this is what happens.......

With that said, the cop was also out of line....  a simple "I observed you roll through a stop sign, and need your license to issue a citation" would have put him in the right, but he decides to go full cartman.....  I hope that Sgt and Cpl got a tune up also, as they backed up a dick move, instead of deescalating & finding a peaceful solution.        

I aint got no time for assholes, but I got even less time for cops who abuse their authority.....
View Quote
I have yet to see a cop video where responding officers didn't back up the officer on scene. They could show up and the guy on scene could be smashing kittens with a hammer and they'd jump right in.

I understand it to an extent, but it doesn't help them keep from looking like a gang of jackboots in situations like this.

"Sure, I pulled you over for running a stop sign." at 10 seconds into the video saves a lot of heavy breathing, paperwork and unwanted scrutiny without compromising the rule of law.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The cop spent several minutes requesting the DL while waiting for backup officers to arrive.

He went way beyond the legal requirements.

Also dude knew why he was being pulled over. He ran the stop sign and then stopped in the middle of the road after he saw the cop. Happens all the time.

Same with speeders hitting the brakes when they see a cop, then look down at the speedometer and claim that was their actual speed. Happens all the time.
View Quote
Oh........that's what he did.

I skimmed through 6 pages of this fucking thread and FINALLY someone mentioned it!!!

Now that I know that.................my reaction to the rest of the video is............

Just give him your ID, get your ticket and move on.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
8 pages and some still don't realize that's not the issue...
View Quote
Oh we realize the issue alright; your feelings are more important than the law.

Law: Driver's required to present ID during traffic stop.
Law: LEO's required to inform the driver of the reason for the stop before leaving the scene.
Feelings: LEO should tell driver the reason for the stop upon their immediate request to prevent the driver from being upset.

So, literally, it's 8 pages of, "MUH FEELS!"
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#47]
This was entirely preventable by the driver.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've highlighted the important part for you.
This might help too.
View Quote
Damn, that's funny!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right to a lawyer when? At court?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I hope you don't have a badge, because that kind of thinking is the exact reason the ACLU and other groups have gained so much ground/support over the last 10 years or so. As much as you want to play the "cause you can doesn't mean you should" card for citizens, it also applies to LEOs. Actions do have consequences and btw not all crimes are equal.
A serial rapist falls up a few flights of steps? No cares. Someone rolls through a stop sign at 5mph and ends up getting pulled out of a half opened or broken out window? Officer friendly needs to find a new career.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a legal requirement on the police to de-escalate people who refuse to obey the law, or is there a legal requirement for people to obey the law in the first place and de-escalate their own unlawful behavior when confronted by the police?

I'll give you a hint, the former doesn't exist except in the mind of the ACLU and some idiotic department policies. The latter has been the law of the land since longer than you've been alive.

If you commit a traffic violation you don't get to put conditions on when you produce your documents. You stopped being in control of the interaction when you violated the law and got pulled over. The officer doesn't owe you an explanation before you produce the documents you are required to carry when operating a vehicle. The interaction can consist entirely of "Give me your license and registration" and "Here is your ticket for xxx." Explaining the reason for the stop is just the polite thing to do, not a legal requirement, and you most certainly do not get to play the "You have to tell me what I did" game.
ACLU found this to be justified,  legally.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top