/scene

"No I didn't."

"I need your driver's licence."

"I didn't run any stop sign."

"I need your driver's license."

"No, because I didn't run that stop sign."

Etc, etc, etc.
View Quote
You don't think you deserve to know why a cop pulls you over?

What if you hand over your license and registration, then he comes back from his car and hands you a reckless driving ticket 30 feet from dropping your kid off at daycare because he hates white people? Or maybe because he's behind on his quota?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drivers License, Registration, Proof of Insurance.... It isn't really that hard of a concept to understand.
Has anyone ever won an argument with a cop on the side of the road?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drivers License, Registration, Proof of Insurance.... It isn't really that hard of a concept to understand.
How can there be an arguement if the cop won't tell you why you are stopped?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are still assuming that him saying that would have changed anything.
View Quote
You are making the same presumption....
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does knowing the reason make the stop good or bad? No. If you think the stop was bad you go to court and fight it there not on the side of the street.
View Quote
Depends. There was a department a few years ago that was pulling over vehicles that we're driving legally and giving them gift certificates...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I believe that you must identify yourself, but you don't need to produce an ID card if you are a pedestrian.  In a car, it's your license to operate a motor vehicle, so the document itself is necessary.
View Quote
Varies by state.

The term to look for is "stop and identify".
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Then I will get a lawyer and take it to court.

The side of the road is not the place to argue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would have solved nothing.

Here's how that would have gone.

"Why are you pulling me over?"

"You ran a stop sign"

/scene

"No I didn't."

"I need your driver's licence."

"I didn't run any stop sign."

"I need your driver's license."

"No, because I didn't run that stop sign."

Etc, etc, etc.
You don't think you deserve to know why a cop pulls you over?

What if you hand over your license and registration, then he comes back from his car and hands you a reckless driving ticket 30 feet from dropping your kid off at daycare because he hates white people? Or maybe because he's behind on his quota?
Then I will get a lawyer and take it to court.

The side of the road is not the place to argue.
I'm doubting that Mr Officer would allow the guy to calmly walk over and get in the back of his police car.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why in the world would you say that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm doubting that Mr Officer would allow the guy to calmly walk over and get in the back of his police car.
Why in the world would you say that?
Because regardless of who was in the right or legal, it was a dick measuring contest very shortly after they had the pleasure of meeting each other.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#11]
WASHINGTON LAW AT RCW 46.61.021 DOES NOT REQUIRE ME TO GIVE YOU MY DATE OF BIRTH OR TO HAVE OR SHOW ANY FORM OF PICTURE IDENTIFICATION!

It is undisputed that RCW 46.61.021 (3) and the CrRLJ 1.1 decisional law of this state does NOT require me to give you my “Date of Birth,” my “Social Security Number” or to have or show you A “Drivers License,” a “State Identification Card” or any other form of PICTURE ID!

RCW 46.61.021 Duty to obey law enforcement officer--Authority of officer.
(1) Any person requested or signaled to stop by a law enforcement officer for a traffic infraction has a duty to stop.
(2) Whenever any person is stopped for a traffic infraction, the officer may detain that person for a reasonable period of time necessary to identify the person, check for outstanding warrants, check the status of the person's license, insurance identification card, and the vehicle's registration, and complete and issue a notice of traffic infraction.
(3) Any person requested to identify himself or herself to a law enforcement officer pursuant to an investigation of a traffic infraction has a duty to identify himself or herself, give his or her current address, and sign an acknowledgment of receipt of the notice of infraction. . . .” (That is "VERBAL" folks!)

It is undisputed that RCW 46.61.021 (3) is worded in the conjunctive and clearly reads that any. . . “person requested to identify himself to a law enforcement officer pursuant to an investigation of a traffic infraction has a duty to identify himself, give his current address, and sign an acknowledgment of receipt of the notice of infraction.” It is undisputed that RCW 46.61.021 at subsection (3) only requires that I identify myself by giving you my “name and address.”

“As we understand it, the statute does not require a suspect to give the officer a driver’s license or any other document. Provided that the suspect either states his name or communicates it to the officer by other means–a choice, we assume, that the suspect may make–the statute is satisfied and no violation occurs. See id., at ___, 59 P.3d, at 1206-1207.” Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Dist. Court of Nev., 124 S.Ct. 2451 at 2457 (June 21, 2004).

“Indeed, there is no general requirement in this country for citizens to carry any identification.” State v. Barwick, 66 Wn. App. 706 at 709, 833 P.2d 421 (July 30, 1992). [WHAT did that say?]

It is also undisputed that RCW 46.61.021 (3) only requires me to give you my “name and address.” Further I cannot be charged with violating RCW 46.61.020 for not having a “drivers license” if I don’t have one.

It is undisputed that only a “licensee” is required to show a “drivers license.”

“RCW 46.61.020 Refusal to give information to or cooperate with officer--Penalty. (Effective July 1, 2004.)

(1) It is unlawful for any person while operating or in charge of any vehicle to refuse when requested by a police officer to give his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of such vehicle, or for such person to give a false name and address, and it is likewise unlawful for any such person to refuse or neglect to stop when signaled to stop by any police officer or to refuse upon demand of such police officer to produce his or her certificate of license registration of such vehicle, his or her insurance identification card, or his or her vehicle driver's license or to refuse to permit such officer to take any such license, card, or certificate for the purpose of examination thereof or to refuse to permit the examination of any equipment of such vehicle or the weighing of such vehicle or to refuse or neglect to produce the certificate of license registration of such vehicle, insurance card, or his or her vehicle driver's license when requested by any court. Any police officer shall on request produce evidence of his or her authorization as such. (2) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor. . . .”  [Gee, since I don't "drive" or "own" a "motor vehicle", then I suspect I don't need to produce a license, card or certificate, or WEIGH such "vehicle" or produce certificate of license registration. . . " Sure glad I'm not in commerce with 'this state' or District of Columbia, HUH?]

It is undisputed that RCW 46.61.020 is unconstitutional because it is the “lessor but included offense” of RCW 9A.76.020 the Obstructing Statute which was declared unconstitutional by the Washington State Supreme Court in State v. White, which held that:

“. . . A DETAINEES REFUSAL TO DISCLOSE HIS NAME ADDRESS, AND OTHER INFORMATION CANNOT BE THE BASIS OF AN ARREST.” State v. White, 97 Wn.2d 92, at 103, 640 P.2d 1061 (1982); (You might need to re-read that a few times!)

“Defendant could not be arrested for refusing to give law enforcement officer his name pursuant to a statute prohibiting obstruction of public servant in discharge of his official powers.” West’s RCWA 9A.76.020(3).–State v. Hoffman, 664 P.2d 1259, 35 Wash. App. 13, 16, 664 P.2d 1259 (1983).;

“Portion of traffic-law-enforcement statute requiring stopped motorist to identify themselves to police officers, which required unlicensed motorist to give “evidence of his identity,” was unconstitutionally vague; statute gave no notice of what type of identification, other than driver’s license should suffice to avoid arrest and in failing to do so, encouraged arbitrary and discriminatory enforcement. U.S.C.A. Const. Amends. 5, 14; A.R.S. section 28-1075, subd. B.” State v. Boudette, 791 P.2d 1063.;

“We must emphasize that we do not hold that a suspect may be detained and searched merely because he either refused to identify himself or refused to produce proof of identification.” People v. Loudermilk, 241 Cal.Rptr. 208 (1987);

“...The defendants’ refusal to furnish identification–which they were entitled to do ...[in] a Terry stop...” U.S. v. Brown, 731 F.2d 1491, at 1494 (1984);

“Probable cause is not established by failing to present identification upon request by a law enforcement officer, . . .” Moya v. United States , 761 F.2d 322, at 325-326 (Sept. 21, 1984).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
The few times I have been pulled over I have been told why I was pulled over. That is after they ask if I know when I was pulled over and I say no.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny thing about the ACLU getting involved...

https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/bustcard_eng_20100630.pdf

"IF YOU ARE STOPPED IN YOUR CAR
[...]
Upon request, show police your driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance. "
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sweet.

Keep your hands of your pockets (the cop). Didn't call in the car stop till after contact, bad form. Good jams.

Here an officer does not have to inform the person the reason for the stop at contact. Personally I find it better like the officer in this case to get the DL before telling them the reason for the stop.

They want to play street side court if you do it the other way around.

Good arrest.
View Quote
What do you mean "they"?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#18]
The only thing this was missing was a night stick and a 95# Sabretoothed Germanic Sheep herding K-9 gnawing on his ass while bad boys played in the background!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm busy at work so I haven't watched the video. Fair warning. With that out of the way...

...given that you need a driver's license to operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway, what is the proper thing for an officer to do if the driver refuses to provide one when asked? 
View Quote
Officer was a complete idiot.  When he realized it was a black guy who was not going to cooperate that he stopped, he should have just asked him to have a nice day and walked back to his cruiser and tried again until he found a compliant white male to stop.

He will deservedly lose his job for his idiocy now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
WASHINGTON LAW AT RCW 46.61.021 DOES NOT REQUIRE ME TO GIVE YOU MY DATE OF BIRTH OR TO HAVE OR SHOW ANY FORM OF PICTURE IDENTIFICATION!

It is undisputed that RCW 46.61.021 (3) and the CrRLJ 1.1 decisional law of this state does NOT require me to give you my “Date of Birth,” my “Social Security Number” or to have or show you A “Drivers License,” a “State Identification Card” or any other form of PICTURE ID!

RCW 46.61.021 Duty to obey law enforcement officer--Authority of officer.
(1) Any person requested or signaled to stop by a law enforcement officer for a traffic infraction has a duty to stop.
(2) Whenever any person is stopped for a traffic infraction, the officer may detain that person for a reasonable period of time necessary to identify the person, check for outstanding warrants, check the status of the person's license, insurance identification card, and the vehicle's registration, and complete and issue a notice of traffic infraction.
(3) Any person requested to identify himself or herself to a law enforcement officer pursuant to an investigation of a traffic infraction has a duty to identify himself or herself, give his or her current address, and sign an acknowledgment of receipt of the notice of infraction. . . .” (That is "VERBAL" folks!)

It is undisputed that RCW 46.61.021 (3) is worded in the conjunctive and clearly reads that any. . . “person requested to identify himself to a law enforcement officer pursuant to an investigation of a traffic infraction has a duty to identify himself, give his current address, and sign an acknowledgment of receipt of the notice of infraction.” It is undisputed that RCW 46.61.021 at subsection (3) only requires that I identify myself by giving you my “name and address.”

“As we understand it, the statute does not require a suspect to give the officer a driver’s license or any other document. Provided that the suspect either states his name or communicates it to the officer by other means–a choice, we assume, that the suspect may make–the statute is satisfied and no violation occurs. See id., at ___, 59 P.3d, at 1206-1207.” Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Dist. Court of Nev., 124 S.Ct. 2451 at 2457 (June 21, 2004).

“Indeed, there is no general requirement in this country for citizens to carry any identification.” State v. Barwick, 66 Wn. App. 706 at 709, 833 P.2d 421 (July 30, 1992). [WHAT did that say?]

It is also undisputed that RCW 46.61.021 (3) only requires me to give you my “name and address.” Further I cannot be charged with violating RCW 46.61.020 for not having a “drivers license” if I don’t have one.

It is undisputed that only a “licensee” is required to show a “drivers license.”

“RCW 46.61.020 Refusal to give information to or cooperate with officer--Penalty. (Effective July 1, 2004.)

(1) It is unlawful for any person while operating or in charge of any vehicle to refuse when requested by a police officer to give his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of such vehicle, or for such person to give a false name and address, and it is likewise unlawful for any such person to refuse or neglect to stop when signaled to stop by any police officer or to refuse upon demand of such police officer to produce his or her certificate of license registration of such vehicle, his or her insurance identification card, or his or her vehicle driver's license or to refuse to permit such officer to take any such license, card, or certificate for the purpose of examination thereof or to refuse to permit the examination of any equipment of such vehicle or the weighing of such vehicle or to refuse or neglect to produce the certificate of license registration of such vehicle, insurance card, or his or her vehicle driver's license when requested by any court. Any police officer shall on request produce evidence of his or her authorization as such. (2) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor. . . .”  [Gee, since I don't "drive" or "own" a "motor vehicle", then I suspect I don't need to produce a license, card or certificate, or WEIGH such "vehicle" or produce certificate of license registration. . . " Sure glad I'm not in commerce with 'this state' or District of Columbia, HUH?]

It is undisputed that RCW 46.61.020 is unconstitutional because it is the “lessor but included offense” of RCW 9A.76.020 the Obstructing Statute which was declared unconstitutional by the Washington State Supreme Court in State v. White, which held that:

“. . . A DETAINEES REFUSAL TO DISCLOSE HIS NAME ADDRESS, AND OTHER INFORMATION CANNOT BE THE BASIS OF AN ARREST.” State v. White, 97 Wn.2d 92, at 103, 640 P.2d 1061 (1982); (You might need to re-read that a few times!)

“Defendant could not be arrested for refusing to give law enforcement officer his name pursuant to a statute prohibiting obstruction of public servant in discharge of his official powers.” West’s RCWA 9A.76.020(3).–State v. Hoffman, 664 P.2d 1259, 35 Wash. App. 13, 16, 664 P.2d 1259 (1983).;

“Portion of traffic-law-enforcement statute requiring stopped motorist to identify themselves to police officers, which required unlicensed motorist to give “evidence of his identity,” was unconstitutionally vague; statute gave no notice of what type of identification, other than driver’s license should suffice to avoid arrest and in failing to do so, encouraged arbitrary and discriminatory enforcement. U.S.C.A. Const. Amends. 5, 14; A.R.S. section 28-1075, subd. B.” State v. Boudette, 791 P.2d 1063.;

“We must emphasize that we do not hold that a suspect may be detained and searched merely because he either refused to identify himself or refused to produce proof of identification.” People v. Loudermilk, 241 Cal.Rptr. 208 (1987);

“...The defendants’ refusal to furnish identification–which they were entitled to do ...[in] a Terry stop...” U.S. v. Brown, 731 F.2d 1491, at 1494 (1984);

“Probable cause is not established by failing to present identification upon request by a law enforcement officer, . . .” Moya v. United States , 761 F.2d 322, at 325-326 (Sept. 21, 1984).
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#22]
The only mistake I saw was Officer Friendly falling on his ass and almost getting run the fuck over. 

Considering how most LEOs are, I'm sure the other guys at the station are replaying that portion of the video many times... in slow motion... with commentary. 

Can we send him a 1* t-shirt, since he risked his ass by falling on it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Asshats on both sides of the law is all I see in this video.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If I am required to hand over an ID to an officer when stopped, the law should require for police to identify the reason for the stop as well. Fuck that.
View Quote
Well, it doesn't.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you sure / where did this happen?

Because in my experience (I have been pulled over dozens of times) it's always been "I'm so and so with the so and so department" and usually followed by "the reason I'm contacting you is...".

"I better jump immediately to using force because if I just answer something I need to tell him anyway I might have to use force if he doesn't comply".

Way to go.
View Quote
Dude was going to argue no matter what the officer said.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Both are shitbirds but more the cop.

"Why are you pulling me over?"

"You ran a stop sign"

/scene

If there's a escalation beyond then, then fuck that driver.  As is, fuck that cop.  This is why people tend not to like the cops.  This is an example of why black people don't like cops.  It was a reasonable question.  "Why am I being pulled over?  Tell me why and I will give you my info".  Now whether he would have or not is a new debate.
View Quote
If he was going to argue to the point of physical resistance, he was going to do it before or after knowing what the stop was for.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm sure that happens plenty.

And if that happened in this video you'd have the entire thread about fuck that driver getting what he deserved and the thread would probably have dead ended at about .75 pages.

Instead, the cop was an asshole, and most of the reasonable people around here know what an asshole looks like. Yes, the driver was an asshole too, but there's a non-zero chance that this whole thing would have turned around on "you ran a stop sign" and none of this shit would have happened.

I get it, a lot of you think any excuse to use force means it's a good idea. People don't agree with you, and that's why you can't understand the reactions of people calling the cop an asshole here. You think you're being logical saying "the law doesn't require me to do that", but nobody cares. And so you're probably thinking "ugh these idiots just don't get the law".
View Quote
Once again, you're naive as fuck if you think telling him the reason for the stop was going to "deescalate" anything.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/cops-rip-out-car-window-yank-man-out-won’t-say-why-video

The officer broke the driver's side window, forced the car door open and was joined by two other cops as they pulled Jones out of the vehicle; a fourth officer ran up as they took Jones to the ground. The African-American driver reportedly blacked out from a chokehold used by the police.

Fancher also said Jones was forced strip to his underwear, and was locked in a cold holding cell: "He says that, at some point, he was made to lie face down on the floor; that the air conditioning was turned down to a very low temperature, and that he on his own decided to get up off the floor, but was still left in his underwear for an extended period of time."

After the smashing of the car window, the two arrests, the alleged chokehold by police, and the alleged humiliation at the jail, the charges against Jones and his wife were dropped in January.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Appears that the cop did not want the stop on record.  That guy's attorneys are going have a field day with that.
View Quote
Ummm, it's kind of hard to keep a stop "off the record" when the entire thing is captured on the dashcam.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
agreed the officer could have de escalated this by just telling him why he was stopped. I would guess there was no valid reason. so officer friendly became not so friendly. I would probably aquit the defendant if I was on the jury as the officer went aggressive way too early in the stop. just fucking tell the guy when he still wont produce the documents cuff and stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the reason for the stop?
agreed the officer could have de escalated this by just telling him why he was stopped. I would guess there was no valid reason. so officer friendly became not so friendly. I would probably aquit the defendant if I was on the jury as the officer went aggressive way too early in the stop. just fucking tell the guy when he still wont produce the documents cuff and stuff
He ran a stop sign just before letting the black minivan turn. It's right there in the video and it was obvious he knew why.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There wasn't any reason for the KIA to stop and yield to that minivan unless he was turning in to where the cop was.  
He saw the cop and decided to go on by.
Cop was waiting for him.
View Quote
He stopped for the minivan because he blew the sign just to the left and knew he was busted. You can see him roll right on through it without stopping at the beginning of the video.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

. . . the charges against Jones and his wife were dropped in January.
View Quote
Hmmmm, interesting!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do you believe that civil settlements are expressions that the action was illegal or that they are just a cost of doing business?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy is legally required to provide ID. Thousands of people do it every day and don't end up like this scenario. Don't put this on the cop for the arrested guy's dumb decision.
While that is certainly true, there's also this:

http://media.nj.com/njcom_photos/photo/2016/05/04/-dacae2030588b6db.JPG
Yep. That LEO was a complete dumbass and shouldn't be working anymore. That lady provided her info as she was legally required to do, went through the motions, and fought her battle in court & won.
What criminal charges is the officer facing?
None that I am aware of but I have not kept up with it much other than seeing a thread here a while ago where the woman got $ out of a lawsuit.
Must not have actually been bad behavior then because as a respected LEO on the site has said to the effect "I don't care about civil suits they are the cost of doing business"
Ok then take it up with the LEO that said that.
Do you believe that civil settlements are expressions that the action was illegal or that they are just a cost of doing business?
Civil settlements are the black-robed idiots' in Federal Courts way to "stick it to the Man" like they've been trying to do since they went to Berkeley or other liberal indoctrination gulag.  Frankly, it's a cost of doing business here in the 9th Circuit.  What they don't realize is that I'm so likely to be sued, even when I do the right, legal thing, that I just might as well go rogue and do whatever the fuck I want, and screw civil rights, because I'm gonna be fucked either way.  Luckily for the citizens, the vast majority cops take their oaths very seriously and won't knowingly violate the Constitution.  Unlike the morons in black robes, my oath meant something when I made it.  I will get to retire and look at myself in the mirror and know I honored it.  Few Federal Judges can honestly say the same, in this area.  Their "feelz", however, will be placated.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm no 4 year law student, but I'm going to have to strike what I said earlier in the thread from the record, Your Honor. When I saw the news article it was at work and I couldn't watch the video. I would have refused to give my documents too. From my laymen's understanding, a cop pulling you over has to have probable cause/reasonable articulable suspicion, and has to tell you why you were stopped. This is in every way the same as pulling people aside on the sidewalk and demanding to see their Papers.

We don't do this in the USA. I didn't see anything wrong with the driver's conduct. The cop was wrong and should pay for it with his job.
View Quote
Except, you are wrong.  See how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Depends. There was a department a few years ago that was pulling over vehicles that we're driving legally and giving them gift certificates...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does knowing the reason make the stop good or bad? No. If you think the stop was bad you go to court and fight it there not on the side of the street.
That's a 4th Amendment violation and the citizens involved should have sued the ever-loving pants off the officers and agency involved.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm no 4 year law student, but I'm going to have to strike what I said earlier in the thread from the record, Your Honor. When I saw the news article it was at work and I couldn't watch the video. I would have refused to give my documents too. From my laymen's understanding, a cop pulling you over has to have probable cause/reasonable articulable suspicion, and has to tell you why you were stopped. This is in every way the same as pulling people aside on the sidewalk and demanding to see their Papers.

We don't do this in the USA. I didn't see anything wrong with the driver's conduct. The cop was wrong and should pay for it with his job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legally - probably ok

Court of public opinion - not ok

IMO

Your laymans understanding is wrong, and thats EXACTLY how we do this in the USA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#42]
No problem with the arrest.

Why does everyone have to be a roadside lawyer?  Just act like a decent person.  If you're right, you'll win.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
My dad was going 85 in a 65 in his corvette.  State Trooper was being argumentative and belligerent. Dad told him that the road side was no place for an argument and he should shut up and write the damn ticket.  Trooper stepped to the back of the car and wrote the ticket.  

"Pfft, 4 points, I only have 2 now, see ya in court."  Said dad. "Yeah I know ""press hard 5 copies""."

Yes he gave up his license, registration, and proof of insurance. He also went to court. In his mind it cost the county more than they took in fines.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How, please explain O'Supreme Count Justice, how that violated the 4th Amendment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a 4th Amendment violation and the citizens involved should have sued the ever-loving pants off the officers and agency involved.
How, please explain O'Supreme Count Justice, how that violated the 4th Amendment?
Pulling someone over requires reasonable suspicion that they have commited, are committing,  or are about to commit a crime. If there is no crime then there can be no reasonable suspicion.  No reasonable suspicion means that you have been unreasonably seized.

How is this hard?

Also this is why I think police should have to state the reason for pulling you over either to the driver or note it in some other way at that time. I police officer shouldn't  have a month and hindsight to figure out why he pilled you over.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pulling someone over requires reasonable suspicion that they have commited, are committing,  or are about to commit a crime. If there is no crime then there can be no reasonable suspicion.  No reasonable suspicion means that you have been unreasonably seized.

How is this hard?

Also this is why I think police should have to state the reason for pulling you over either to the driver or note it in some other way at that time. I police officer shouldn't  have a month and hindsight to figure out why he pilled you over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this hard?

What does that have to do with an obligation to tell the stopped driver anything?  Do you want to pretend a cop cant have reasonalbe suspicion unless he tells the driver before getting ID?

You dont understand how the fourth amendment works.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Motor vehicle violations are crimes?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Needs more hickory lessons for a thorough education.  Not sure the driver got the point entirely.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What does that have to do with an obligation to tell the stopped driver anything?  Do you want to pretend a cop cant have reasonalbe suspicion unless he tells the driver before getting ID?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this hard?

That's not what I said. Work on your reading comprehension.

Pulling someone over requires a crime.
Police should be required to notify you of that crime so they don't have a month to play creative writing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
The instances I am aware of, the PD stopped people without RS of a crime and then gave them a gift certificate.  Vehicle stops are a seizure, under the 4th amendment and must be made with either reasonable suspicion, or probable cause that a crime has occurred, or will occur and the person/vehicle to be stopped is involved.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, I know that the government likes to play games and say that it is a civil action or an infraction all so that they get a lower burden of proof and you don't have a right to a lawyer. But as far as I'm concerned,  if the government is coming after you in court it should be considered crime.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top