Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the Falken AT3W on my 4runner they are great.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
i had bfg ko2s, work great in north florida area with all the rain and light mud that comes with it.

recently switched to toyo open country MTs. only 250 miles on them so far so no insight really.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm moving back to Colorado in October... 

Good to know from everybody about the Falken tires.

Mama always said "If it's too good to be true... It probably is."

Now that somebody mentioned Toyo I'm look at those and 
View Quote
For what it's worth - I lived @ 6700 feet in Colorado for 3 years.  Ran BFG ATs the whole time.

There was a period for about 6 weeks one winter where I didn't take my truck out of 4wd - I didn't NEED 4wd, but I had it and it was useful so why not?

I never considered the BFG's bad in snow.  And they certainly seemed to be a popular tire for anyone who didn't run dedicated winter or studded tires.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just put KO2s on my new Denali. They are bad ass! Had them on my last truck. Loved them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Toyo open country at/2
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For what it's worth - I lived @ 6700 feet in Colorado for 3 years.  Ran BFG ATs the whole time.

There was a period for about 6 weeks one winter where I didn't take my truck out of 4wd - I didn't NEED 4wd, but I had it and it was useful so why not?

I never considered the BFG's bad in snow.  And they certainly seemed to be a popular tire for anyone who didn't run dedicated winter or studded tires.
View Quote
My KO2's were great in the snow this past winter. Blew the Revos that I had on before out of the water.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Poll fail. No Michelin LTX.
View Quote
We have the M/S2's on our 4Runner. Been pretty good tires but pricey and the sidewalls are cracking after 4 years. I just got a quote on Michelin Defender LTX's for my 2WD Ram and it was $1270 OTD. F that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#9]
We are running two sets of the bfgs right now.

Best all round tire we've ever had.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My experience has been the Falkens are equal to the Coopers
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All prices are for a 275/70r18 tire.

The Falken Wildpeak is the cheapest and looks great but isn't that popular.

I just saw the Hankook Dynapro ATM on a truck and loved it.

Nitto is Nitto.

BFG KO2s are very popular but they are pricey and I may be in the minority but I don't think they look that great for an AT tire. Too busy.

I've heard the Cooper AT/3 is the car of arfcom... 

help.

ETA: going on a 2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4wd

POLL INBOUND
View Quote
 I love the KO2s on my 2014 outdoorsman. Getting decent milage out of them, they clean out well, and look good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 I love the KO2s on my 2014 outdoorsman. Getting decent milage out of them, they clean out well, and look good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitto is Nitto.

BFG KO2s are very popular but they are pricey and I may be in the minority but I don't think they look that great for an AT tire. Too busy.

help.

POLL INBOUND
I had the original KOs on my last truck and loved them. Just don't know if I like the look anymore. 

I think I want a little less aggressive sidewall. I don't really like the look of the originals either to be honest.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#13]
The Dynapros are fantastic.

Not sure if the new BFG's have really been out enough to see how they stack up to other good tires these days.  The last generation of BFG performed miserably compared to other options.  Tires have come a long way.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got terra grapplers on my f250 and exo grapplers on our NV. The Terra's are good but might try the Falkens next. The guys are Carli reccomend them. I've had most of the popular AT tires, like the toyos the best so far, they are close to the Terra's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Multiple trucks and one tire.  BFG all terrain TAs.  Great in snow, mud dirt and even on the pavement.

They just redesigned the outer edge tread about a year and a half ago.  The new ones are a little more aggressive and have a better grip.  I like them even better now.

Old

New

Anyone else running the new ones yet?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nitto terra grappler are easily the best tire I've ever used. And I've tried nearly every brand over the years. Trail grappler if you want more aggressive
View Quote
I have them on my truck, about 20k miles on them.
I really like them; they're quiet on the highway, good in the rain, and slightly muddy ground out back.
I had them in just a little snow ( 4-5" fresh snow) and they were fine.

2014 Silverado 1500, 275/55R20 ( stock size ).
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
General AT2
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
General Grabber at2
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Toyo Open Country AT 2 .
View Quote
Seconded.  Running them on an F250 with plenty of off-road/mud/clay miles and just passes 50k miles.  Will replace in the next 5k or so with another set.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
General AT2
View Quote
Aren't these Chinese knock off tires? 

Maybe be they used to be and are better now? 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I use Geolandars, but the WildPeak is AgTalk approved. Like Arf, AT agrees on very little.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I ran Nittos for years.
current set are worn out in less than 2 years/26k miles on a 1/2 ton Silverado with rotations and pressure monitoring very light use.
Belts separating in one and tread worn on all.  
Nitto don't give a fuck.  
I was a fan-boy.  
Fuck Nitto.
View Quote
I had that problem with the Terra Grapplers.  I'd never buy them again.
Like I said above, the Ridge Grapplers seem to be MUCH better in every way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Just bought my third set the Cooper 10ply on my GMC Sierra 1500. Last set went over 70k. 

On a truck I'll never buy less than 10 ply tires again they last so much longer and are much more resistant to getting flats. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I've had the Coopers, Nittos, and BFG's.

Nitto gets my vote.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Toyo.  The answer is Toyo.
View Quote
Yep
Poll fail

Toyo Open Country
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is also a shit tire.
Have them on an Exploder.
65000 tread warranty and the guy at the tire shop tells me I need new front tires, they are 1yr old.
Balanced, rotated, air checked religiously. Air checked every 2 to 3 weeks.
I do a lot of highway driving in it, about 90%.
Got them from now defunct Treaddepot.com so Toyo says they need to warranty.

VERY shitty wet traction.

ETA; Wifes suv and my 2500 suburban both wear Wrangler DuraTrac's, not cheap but worth the money.

Exploder will get new shoes before winter, looking into now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyo Open Country AT 2 .
This is also a shit tire.
Have them on an Exploder.
65000 tread warranty and the guy at the tire shop tells me I need new front tires, they are 1yr old.
Balanced, rotated, air checked religiously. Air checked every 2 to 3 weeks.
I do a lot of highway driving in it, about 90%.
Got them from now defunct Treaddepot.com so Toyo says they need to warranty.

VERY shitty wet traction.

ETA; Wifes suv and my 2500 suburban both wear Wrangler DuraTrac's, not cheap but worth the money.

Exploder will get new shoes before winter, looking into now.
Don't know why you are getting such bad performance

I am on my third set
2004 F-350 6.0 4x4
I drive on the highway 90 miles/day
I also use them in the field and get excellent traction

Great traction, great during rain
The 65,000 mile warranty is bogus (but it is on most off road tires)
I get 40,000 miles easy
Quietest Onroad/Offroad tires I have ever had
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#28]
For what it's worth - Discount Tire has been good to me about miles warranty on tires.  Buying back, or straight replacement in one case.

On occasion I've had a set that just didn't last as long as other sets.  No idea why - Friday at the plant and the mixer guy got the formulation slightly wrong, maybe.  who knows?

I tend to discount anecdotal stories about tires not lasting as long as they should.  I'm sure folks experienced it - but unless the weight of anecdotes is quite heavy i'm not sure it's systemic.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a set of these that I really liked.  Good in the snow, rain, dry pavement, and dirt.  Never messed around in the mud with them, however.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I gather there have been some complaints about the BFG tires wearing prematurely, tread crumbling/tearing out, etc. My SIL had a set on his truck that didn't go 6 months before having to be replaced. They just wore out much faster than they should, and tread wear warranty was useless.
YMMV
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dick Cepek or Mickey Thompson
View Quote
Those are good tires, gotta watch out for directional tread though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nitto is Nitto.

help.

POLL INBOUND
View Quote
$135 off

Coopers FTW
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Nitto terra grapplers are good tires, but they consistently seperate belts around 40k which is about there tread life anyway. We keep buying nitto because they are the only manufacturer of the size tire we use.

My go to tire is bfg k02 or km2
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm having good luck with my current Toyo's. For being such a quiet tire they are holding up real well. R/T Open Country on and F250.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yep
Poll fail

Toyo Open Country
View Quote
Offroad traction sucks.  Nittos are way better.  Coopers blow them out of the water.
I've used them all, and the Toyos are the worst.  Yeah, they last long, and ar good on the highway, but we're talking about tires that can handle wet leaves without getting you stuck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Offroad traction sucks.  Nittos are way better.  Coopers blow them out of the water.
I've used them all, and the Toyos are the worst.  Yeah, they last long, and ar good on the highway, but we're talking about tires that can handle wet leaves without getting you stuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep
Poll fail

Toyo Open Country
Toyo Open Country AT2s are the only tire I actually hate.
I love how they look, they were great on the highway, the cushy ride was awesome for an E-rated tire.

I could see if you lived in a dry climate? The Toyo Open Country AT2s are probably great.
After what happened to me with mine, I won't own them again.
Spinning the tires going straight in 4x4 at a stoplight while babying the gaspedal? Unacceptable.
Swinging the rear end out on a lazy turn (a far cry from being a bro and doing it on purpose), unacceptable.
Going uphill at low speed, going slow enough that the honda civic behind you almost bumps you, for fear that you'll spin the tires - then the truck stops climbing and the rear end slides left and right?  That's shitty wet traction.

On a few other forums you'll find guys who didn't like the tires, "They would spin when dry - wet? forget it."
Particularly the Ford Superduty guys, seems like the heavier trucks would do it.
Also seemed like canadian guys didn't care for the tire either.

Sure, you can do lots of silly shit with a pickup when you want to
When you're trying to drive like a Grandma in your factory 4x4 pickup with "all terrains" on it, on account of a simple rain?
And you can feel the traction slipping anyway?
No fucking thank you.

Granted I do have hills and a lot of stoplights in my commie-state, if I had long straight away 40mph roads as the norm? The tires probably would have been slightly less shitty in the rain - but the KO2s, on the same exact roads, with the same driver, they have not slipped in identical conditions.
I don't have to tailor my driving to "how old is this driver?" levels to work around the tires limitations. What a relief.

Dueler Revo 2s didn't do it. They were a great tire overall, good on the highway too, but snow? Wasn't the best. Dangerous? Not until you turned
General Grabber AT2s didn't do it, I liked those tires a lot.
The BF Goodrich KO2 tires (Which are only a few years old now - they are different tires than the original KOs, they are better able to evacuate debris than the older KOs) have their own quirks, but traction?
Not on the list of quirks. I'm sure I can make those tires slip too, but I'd have to try to do it vs "Oh man, 21.5mph? there we go, slip and slide city"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I didn't get very good milage on the BFG AT tires on my superduty - no heavy loads.  sub 40k.

Trying Cooper now.

I didn't have great luck with coopers on my old expedition - but the tire shop put on load range C tires (which is what is spec'd for an expedition)  I finally went to load range E tires.

I think I had 3 or 4 flats on the Exp with the load range c's  - at least 3 were from some sort of sidewall problem.  I think it's about the only rig I ever had that actually got flat tires from normal driving.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I use my trucks everyday on the farm, so they are off road a LOT. Also haul heavy loads and tow. So far nothing has compared to BFG ATs. I found them to have great wet and snow traction and dry dirt. So so in deep mud, they are not a mud tire. Mud tires arent much use to me since i tow a lot.

If you actually use your truck like a truck, they are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I didn't get very good milage on the BFG AT tires on my superduty - no heavy loads.  sub 40k.

Trying Cooper now.

I didn't have great luck with coopers on my old expedition - but the tire shop put on load range C tires (which is what is spec'd for an expedition)  I finally went to load range E tires.

I think I had 3 or 4 flats on the Exp with the load range c's  - at least 3 were from some sort of sidewall problem.  I think it's about the only rig I ever had that actually got flat tires from normal driving.
View Quote
Interesting, i have ran 6 sets over the years and gotten great mileage out of all of them. I wonder if they had a bad run. You WERE using E rated tires for the super duty right?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Interesting, i have ran 6 sets over the years and gotten great mileage out of all of them. I wonder if they had a bad run. You WERE using E rated tires for the super duty right?
View Quote
yes.  learned my lesson on the expedition.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#41]
In my opinion, manufacturers put too light of a tire on many of the oem tires. Few trucks these days ought to be running less than D, most ought to have E.

Granted my experience is anecdotal but i think either they have had a bad run or people are running underinflated which is the worst thing you can do to a tire. I see people from time to time around here with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with D and E rated tires running 35-40 psi
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#43]
the falken wiled peaks have been a great tire to me so far. a lot of traction and no issues in rainy weather. really recommend them.

biggest issue why they are not as popular is because they are only been out 2 years and seems like a lot of people are still waiting for the longevity of the tire but imo at the price they are and seeing that some others that have 10k miles on them and have little ware keeps my hopes up.

Quoted:
I bought the Falken Wild Peaks because I was stupid and didn't know any better.  Don't be like me.

The shoulders wear down very quickly, and the wet traction is poor.  After the shoulders wear down, there's very little meaningful horizontal siping on the tire, so you're more or less left with a slick road tire with three channels down the middle.  Buy any one of the tires you listed above before you buy the Falkens.
View Quote
im thinking you are talking about the old style ones that were a POS to say the least. these are the redesigned ones that came out 2 years ago.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In my opinion, manufacturers put too light of a tire on many of the oem tires. Few trucks these days ought to be running less than D, most ought to have E.

Granted my experience is anecdotal but i think either they have had a bad run or people are running underinflated which is the worst thing you can do to a tire. I see people from time to time around here with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with D and E rated tires running 35-40 psi
View Quote
For what it's worth - I am HARD on tires.  I don't rotate.  I check air when I feel like it, which is pretty much when I can feel a tire getting low. I'm not afraid to push hard on either peddle.  I go fast.  

I read his post and sorta figured "Well hell - 40k sounds about right to me."

Maybe my feel of it is maladjusted.  But I'm generally happy with 50k on an ALL TERRAIN tire.  If I really wanted to get 80k miles - i'd buy a light truck street tire.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

For what it's worth - I am HARD on tires.  I don't rotate.  I check air when I feel like it, which is pretty much when I can feel a tire getting low. I'm not afraid to push hard on either peddle.  I go fast.  

I read his post and sorta figured "Well hell - 40k sounds about right to me."

Maybe my feel of it is maladjusted.  But I'm generally happy with 50k on an ALL TERRAIN tire.  If I really wanted to get 80k miles - i'd buy a light truck street tire.
View Quote
You can get away with that if you dont put much load on them, but youd be asking for a world of hurt towing. Underinflation creates heat, and heat kills tires. Plus you would get better mileage if you keep em aired up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
the falken wiled peaks have been a great tire to me so far. a lot of traction and no issues in rainy weather. really recommend them.

biggest issue why they are not as popular is because they are only been out 2 years and seems like a lot of people are still waiting for the longevity of the tire but imo at the price they are and seeing that some others that have 10k miles on them and have little ware keeps my hopes up.

im thinking you are talking about the old style ones that were a POS to say the least. these are the redesigned ones that came out 2 years ago.  

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/t_20160211.falrl0.xl.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought the Falken Wild Peaks because I was stupid and didn't know any better.  Don't be like me.

The shoulders wear down very quickly, and the wet traction is poor.  After the shoulders wear down, there's very little meaningful horizontal siping on the tire, so you're more or less left with a slick road tire with three channels down the middle.  Buy any one of the tires you listed above before you buy the Falkens.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/t_20160211.falrl0.xl.jpg
Im thinking these are a good option. Muuuuuch less expensive than the BFG AT. 

And now since a couple guys mentioned Toyo those AT/II's are growing in me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Another vote for Toyo Open Country's, just put a set on my F250.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I've had the BF Goodrich KO2s on my RAM or about 10K miles now. They still look new. Great all around tire for snow/rain/light off-roading such as PA gameland roads. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Multiple trucks and one tire.  BFG all terrain TAs.  Great in snow, mud dirt and even on the pavement.

They just redesigned the outer edge tread about a year and a half ago.  The new ones are a little more aggressive and have a better grip.  I like them even better now.

Old
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ontime_1969/Home%20and%20Garage/20170523_153304_HDR.jpg

New
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ontime_1969/Home%20and%20Garage/20170523_153329.jpg

Anyone else running the new ones yet?
View Quote
I'm running them. Great tire!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#50]
If you actually need and all terrain tire, as opposed to just wanting the look of an all terrain tire, then the appearance of the tire shouldn't even be a consideration.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top