BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 178
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Schefter is one of the biggest shit stirrers at ESPN making play as a legitimate reporter.  He'll make bold claims based on nothing but nameless "sources."  Then, more often than not it seems, his claims turn out to be bullshit.   No retractions.  No admissions that he was wrong. Just more bullshit based on nameless "sources."
I remember him ranting for over a week how it was imminent that Dez was going to get a long suspension for beating up someone at Walmart.  He claimed there was a security video.  He claimed there was cell phone video.  He claimed there were multiple witnesses.  

Days went by... nothing.

Weeks went by... nothing.

Months went by... nothing.

Years went by... nothing.

The imminent suspension is coming any day now I'm sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Elliott in vicinity of club fight and appeals speeding ticket from two months ago" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "Elliott beats up man at club and gets pulled over driving 100 mph."

I was at the gym and ESPN was on and it was joke the way they were talking about.  No charges, no arrests, and the guy that got laid out couldn't even identity who hit him.  And yet they were ranting about how Jason Garrett needs to bench Zeke, make an example of him, etc. as if he had already been found guilty.

I'm not saying he did or didn't do it.  I wasn't there.  But when the victim is saying he doesn't know what happened and there is no proof of what did happen maybe, just maybe, wait for the facts to come out.  Or, you know, just go all Nancy Grace on it.
This whole situation is interesting.  Is Elliott a victim of people piling on and making mountains out of molehills or do we take all these incidents (completely unfounded or not) and say that this guy either puts himself in bad situations or around the wrong people.

2016 DV allegation
2016 boob scandal
2017 speeding ticket
2017 bar fight allegation

Like I said, even if all 4 of these are unfounded, doesn't it at least beg the question about his decision making or the company he keeps?  This isn't anything new for NFL players and I'm NOT saying Elliott is the next Vick/Pacman/etc., but I dunno.  Sometimes people are just shit magnets.
At just 21 years old Elliott has millions of dollars, is already one of the most famous players in the NFL, frequently goes to clubs, and has shown he doesn't always make the best choices.  Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more incidents.  I guess it'd be too much to ask for two rookie phenoms that both act wise and mature beyond their years.
It sure seems the 'cloud' has been manufactured in a hurry.   The domestic violence story was not a topic all off season and was seemingly forgotten, until a couple weeks ago when out of nowhere and with no new information, Schefter urges caution to fantasy players about using a high draft pick on Zeke.

The boob scandal has been a while ago, how could the NFL possibly be still "investigating" that?  If they were going to discipline on that hand it down already.

I can't recall a player getting suspended for a speeding ticket, that seems lame and as HK points out why are the fake news trying to make it sound like it just happened?

The club incident happened after Schefter got everybody buzzing about suspension talk, but I've seen nothing solid on even an accusation.  In any case this one is too recent for the possible lengthy suspension buzz that's suddenly going around now.
Schefter is one of the biggest shit stirrers at ESPN making play as a legitimate reporter.  He'll make bold claims based on nothing but nameless "sources."  Then, more often than not it seems, his claims turn out to be bullshit.   No retractions.  No admissions that he was wrong. Just more bullshit based on nameless "sources."
I remember him ranting for over a week how it was imminent that Dez was going to get a long suspension for beating up someone at Walmart.  He claimed there was a security video.  He claimed there was cell phone video.  He claimed there were multiple witnesses.  

Days went by... nothing.

He works for the shittiest sports outlet around, seems par for the course at good ole ESPN.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Meanwhile, with cowboy training camp out in Oxnard, I'm loving this 'fan' behind me (at football practice for my son) who wants to go see 'Ezeeekeeal even though he's in trouble and Dax even though he may have some domestic violence trouble'
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He works for the shittiest sports outlet around, seems par for the course at good ole ESPN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Elliott in vicinity of club fight and appeals speeding ticket from two months ago" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "Elliott beats up man at club and gets pulled over driving 100 mph."

I was at the gym and ESPN was on and it was joke the way they were talking about.  No charges, no arrests, and the guy that got laid out couldn't even identity who hit him.  And yet they were ranting about how Jason Garrett needs to bench Zeke, make an example of him, etc. as if he had already been found guilty.

I'm not saying he did or didn't do it.  I wasn't there.  But when the victim is saying he doesn't know what happened and there is no proof of what did happen maybe, just maybe, wait for the facts to come out.  Or, you know, just go all Nancy Grace on it.
This whole situation is interesting.  Is Elliott a victim of people piling on and making mountains out of molehills or do we take all these incidents (completely unfounded or not) and say that this guy either puts himself in bad situations or around the wrong people.

2016 DV allegation
2016 boob scandal
2017 speeding ticket

Like I said, even if all 4 of these are unfounded, doesn't it at least beg the question about his decision making or the company he keeps?  This isn't anything new for NFL players and I'm NOT saying Elliott is the next Vick/Pacman/etc., but I dunno.  Sometimes people are just shit magnets.
At just 21 years old Elliott has millions of dollars, is already one of the most famous players in the NFL, frequently goes to clubs, and has shown he doesn't always make the best choices.  Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more incidents.  I guess it'd be too much to ask for two rookie phenoms that both act wise and mature beyond their years.
It sure seems the 'cloud' has been manufactured in a hurry.   The domestic violence story was not a topic all off season and was seemingly forgotten, until a couple weeks ago when out of nowhere and with no new information, Schefter urges caution to fantasy players about using a high draft pick on Zeke.

The boob scandal has been a while ago, how could the NFL possibly be still "investigating" that?  If they were going to discipline on that hand it down already.

I can't recall a player getting suspended for a speeding ticket, that seems lame and as HK points out why are the fake news trying to make it sound like it just happened?

The club incident happened after Schefter got everybody buzzing about suspension talk, but I've seen nothing solid on even an accusation.  In any case this one is too recent for the possible lengthy suspension buzz that's suddenly going around now.

Days went by... nothing.

True, but a lot of the other people at ESPN are basically talk show hosts voicing their opinions (such as they are).  Schefter tries to pass himself off as a legitimate reporter when TMZ has more credibility than he does.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Meanwhile, with cowboy training camp out in Oxnard, I'm loving this 'fan' behind me (at football practice for my son) who wants to go see 'Ezeeekeeal even though he's in trouble and Dax even though he may have some domestic violence trouble'
View Quote
Wait, what?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Panthers hired Marty Hurney to be their interim GM.  The same Marty Hurney the Panthers fired as their GM 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The case was dismissed about half a decade ago.  Dez has had his shit together for years (knock on wood).  Hopefully Zeke can follow suit.  

And hey, if nothing else at least they have a young QB that's mature beyond his years and, by all accounts, a great leader.   Not one that has had 7 years to get his act together and still acts like a petulant child and gets benched for missing curfew before a game because he was at a titty bar.
He was with his future wife :P
http://38.media.tumblr.com/1536f72f0fcd6c58b820dacf4c1a2293/tumblr_nf431jp67p1qmrflko3_500.gif
At this point, me either 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Panthers hired Marty Hurney to be their interim GM.  The same Marty Hurney the Panthers fired as their GM 4 years ago.
View Quote
Yeah, Gettleman was canned for his failure of retaining Norman, losing Tillman and running 2 rookies on the corner, then the Olsen and Davis contract blunder.

Really think it was the Davis contract that was the real driving force, TD is what defines the teams as far as heart and effort.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Days went by... nothing.

View Quote
He's the worst "journalist" at ESPN, I was disappointed that he wasn't let go in the big layoff.  I actively avoid any article or video with his name on it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He's the worst "journalist" at ESPN, I was disappointed that he wasn't let go in the big layoff.  I actively avoid any article or video with his name on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Days went by... nothing.

The fact that they fired guys like John Clayton and Trent Dilfer while giving guys like Stephan A Smith and Max Kellerman promotions speaks volumes about where that company is headed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The fact that they fired guys like John Clayton and Trent Dilfer while giving guys like Stephan A Smith and Max Kellerman promotions speaks volumes about where that company is headed.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]
At no point was Elliott arrested, charged, or even a suspect but a little thing like that certainly didn't stop the professionals over at ESPN from talking as if he had already been found guilty in a court of law.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Meanwhile Jaguars DE Dante Fowler was arrested last night after he reportedly got out of car, started yelling at a man, hit him, stomped on his prescription glasses, picked up the man's grocery bag, and then threw it into a lake.

Strange, nothing about it on ESPN's homepage.   Hmm...
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Meanwhile Jaguars DE Dante Fowler was arrested last night after he reportedly got out of car, started yelling at a man, hit him, stomped on his prescription glasses, picked up the man's grocery bag, and then threw it into a lake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It didn't escape Rotoworld's notice.  But this was the latest player news blurb on him there until today.

Jaguars DC Todd Wash said 2015 No. 3 overall pick Dante Fowler "has matured a lot."

"He is more focused on the little details," Wash said. "You just see a young man mature, which is really good to see because he is a good football player." Fowler was whistled for eight penalties last season including three offsides in just 570 snaps. He will need to be more disciplined moving forward to reach his potential, but it sounds like he is on the right track.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:30:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wait, what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait, what?
Exactly.. I didn't even bother turning around to correct.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:32:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Agreed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
What's interesting is they threw a lot of money at and hired Adrian Wojnaroski (probably spelled wrong but I'm too lazy to look up). He is the go to number one guy for NBA news and he used to publicly state how he'd never work for espn bc of their shitty reporting practices and shitty on air talent.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I can't see your image.  The tweet I referenced seemed to suggest it happened over the weekend in addition to the bar fight.  You know Dallas reporters/insideres better than I do.  Is this guy legit or fake news?

View Quote
100 on the tollway?  probably cited for "impeding the flow of traffic".

but he's a cowboy, meaning that this story has more national media significance than a bengal, eagle, or titan discovering the cure for cancer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

2016 DV allegation
2016 boob scandal
2017 speeding ticket

View Quote

aside from the DV (which appears to be a blackmail attempt), there aren't too many current or former 21 year old men who don't have a ticket, a fight, and drunk public nookie on his resume.

granted, he needs to be smarter, but we all did at that age.  the only difference is that the media weren't making money running down stories on you and me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#20]
OJ Simpson was just granted parole.  He served 9 years of a 33 year sentence.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Has he signed with the Bengals yet?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haha, okay that was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Two years after Cam Newton begged him to join his team the Panthers have released Michael Oher. Reportedly it has to do with a failed physical resulting from concussion issues.

This has "lawsuit" written all over it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Michael Vick simply said that Kaepernick getting a hair cut might improve the chances that an NFL team would sign him and apparently now that means he is an Uncle Tom who hates black people.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I understand the sports media has a hard on for talking about the Cowboys and for trying to make issues and debates appear much more significant than they are, but seriously, Tony Romo in the Hall of Fame?  I don't even know any Cowboys fans that think he should get in and yet the sports media is acting like this is a legitimate debate going on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Days went by... nothing.

Probably who they could get the cheapest.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Days went by... nothing.

Stephan A Smith is probably making more than John Clayton and Trent Dilfer were combined.  Smith is most likely the highest paid on screen personality at ESPN.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:14:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Michael Vick simply said that Kaepernick getting a hair cut might improve the chances that an NFL team would sign him and apparently now that means he is an Uncle Tom who hates black people.
View Quote
some friends of mine were calling him stupid for what he said. he had a long quote about it where he went into detail saying Kap wasn't black balled and it was more based on his play and what not.. i mean shit, if anyone is qualified to talk about being black balled in the NFL it's Vick.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:15:21 AM EDT
[#30]
i wonder how much money he still has..
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Are we there yet?

I'm so sick of reading about non play related stories. Idgaf about any of this off field shit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Are we there yet?

I'm so sick of reading about non play related stories. Idgaf about any of this off field shit.
View Quote
Arizona Cardinals will be the first team to have their entire team report to training camp. Today.

48 days until kick off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Doesn't seem like there are many fellow Broncos fans around here.  I still can't make heads or tails of WTF they're doing at QB.  Neither guy is starter quality.

Elway is a smart smart man and he got Peyton Fucking Manning for god's sake.  Any chance he's waiting for the right time to go after Cousins?  Cousins is still only 28 but wait much longer and you risk him injured or the Redskins clean house and get a competent front end and they sign him to a big money, long term deal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Doesn't seem like there are many fellow Broncos fans around here.  I still can't make heads or tails of WTF they're doing at QB.  Neither guy is starter quality.

Elway is a smart smart man and he got Peyton Fucking Manning for god's sake.  Any chance he's waiting for the right time to go after Cousins?  Cousins is still only 28 but wait much longer and you risk him injured or the Redskins clean house and get a competent front end and they sign him to a big money, long term deal.
View Quote
If Cousins (assuming he doesn't suck in 2017) hits the open market there is no realistic chance the Broncos could match the Browns or 49ers. Probably the only way they'd get Cousins as an UFA is if he was willing to take a significantly lower offer to play for a team that wasn't horrible and even then the Broncos would likely have to release some players to pay for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If Cousins (assuming he doesn't suck in 2017) hits the open market there is no realistic chance the Broncos could match the Browns or 49ers. Probably the only way they'd get Cousins as an UFA is if he was willing to take a significantly lower offer to play for a team that wasn't horrible and even then the Broncos would likely have to release some players to pay for it.
View Quote
I need to find a site that breakdowns cap room or whatever.  With Peyton gone and Ware gone, seems to me only big contracts left are Von Miller and D. Thomas.  Plus over the last few years other guys (mainly defense) went to other teams.  Now that I"m thinking about it though I think Brandon Marshall re-signed in 15 or 16 for a new big money extension.  

But you're right, if Cousins is playing it smart and waiting for a good K, he's not likely feel the need to take a big cut in order to chase a ring.  Maybe 5 years down the road, but probably not now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm really starting to like that guy and his no fucks given attitude.

LOL
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I need to find a site that breakdowns cap room or whatever.  With Peyton gone and Ware gone, seems to me only big contracts left are Von Miller and D. Thomas.  Plus over the last few years other guys (mainly defense) went to other teams.  Now that I"m thinking about it though I think Brandon Marshall re-signed in 15 or 16 for a new big money extension.  

But you're right, if Cousins is playing it smart and waiting for a good K, he's not likely feel the need to take a big cut in order to chase a ring.  Maybe 5 years down the road, but probably not now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now the Broncos have about $15M in cap space for 2018.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

can't money be offset, too, in signing bonuses or other bonuses? like say a player is under contract for $15 mil next season, isn't a team able to restructure, make $10 mil a bonus at the start of the season and it won't go against they cap?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

can't money be offset, too, in signing bonuses or other bonuses? like say a player is under contract for $15 mil next season, isn't a team able to restructure, make $10 mil a bonus at the start of the season and it won't go against they cap?
View Quote
temporarily--that's how a lot of teams stay under the cap year to year.  but the balance always comes due.  if the player is cut or injured, the practice incurs massive amounts of 'dead money' subtracted from that year's salary cap.  for example, this year, DAL is on the hook for $10.7M for romo, even though he isn't on the team anymore.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can structure a contract so it's very heavy on money in later years, but the Broncos, like all teams, will be losing players that they need to replace and that $15M isn't a lot to spread around.  Also I don't think that even takes into account the money they need to sign their 2018 draft class.

While it's not impossible for the Broncos to sign Cousins they would have to make many sacrifices to do it.  Plus whatever they did the Browns and 49ers would just offer more anyway.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#41]
another fun fact for you Hunter-Killer.. John Wall, the Washington Wizards franchise player just signed a $170 mil extension to stay with the team through 2023. you'll never guess his favorite football team..
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
another fun fact for you Hunter-Killer.. John Wall, the Washington Wizards franchise player just signed a $170 mil extension to stay with the team through 2023. you'll never guess his favorite football team..
View Quote
While looking up that Bryce Harper/Dak clip I might have seen something about that.

What makes it even funnier is that neither of them were born or grew up anywhere even close to Dallas.  Harper was born and grew up in Nevada and Wall was born and grew up in North Carolina.  Also they are both in their mid 20's so it's not like they jumped on the bandwagon while the Cowboys were rattling off Super Bowl wins in the 90's.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
While looking up that Bryce Harper/Dak clip I might have seen something about that.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_960w/2010-2019/Wires/Images/2016-09-18/AP/Cowboys_Redskins_Football-1b492.jpg&w=480

What makes it even funnier is that neither of them were born or grew up anywhere even close to Dallas.  Harper was born and grew up in Nevada and Wall was born and grew up in North Carolina.  Also they are both in their mid 20's so it's not like they jumped on the bandwagon while the Cowboys were rattling off Super Bowl wins in the 90's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_960w/2010-2019/Wires/Images/2016-09-18/AP/Cowboys_Redskins_Football-1b492.jpg&w=480

it's crazy how many cowboy fans live in the DMV who have grown up there, they've never been to dallas, most have no ties to Dallas, and they like the team b/c it's the cowboys. And the cowboys were a force in late 80s early 90s, but the skins were a damn good team during that time, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Another Cowboy in trouble

Whitehead wanted for shop lifting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pulling a Joseph Randle. Hopefully he wasn't stealing underwear and Guilty Black.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Was it crab legs ?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
He needed it for ransoming his kidnapped dog.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

rappaport says the theft occurred at 1:30 AM. Whitehead didn't land in VA until 7:20 AM.

i mean, i'd love to be raggin on all these cowboys for doing stupid dumb shit but it really does seem like most of these incidents are blown out of proportion or just false.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#49]
and apparently Rappaport is now saying cowboys cut whitehead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
and apparently Rappaport is now saying cowboys cut whitehead.
View Quote
unless that happened within the last 20min, it's BS.  have the beat feed running.  according to whitehead, he has proof that he wasn't in VA at the time of the incident, and therefore couldn't have been the suspect arrested.

edit: and as soon as i post that, fish (best beat guy and present in oxnard) just tweeted that whitehead has been notified that he's cut.  mosher confirms.  now confirmed through lucky's agent.
Page / 178
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top