Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
This really isn't about state rights, though, because as long as it's illegal according to the federal government, you can't hold certain jobs, you technically still can't buy a gun, and many employers are still within their rights for firing you for failing a piss test.

The federal government has to decriminalize it, then the states can decide whether it's legal within their borders to buy, sell, and possess.

I'm sure the taxes will be comparable to liquor and cigarettes, and no one's gonna come off hurting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If Fed.gov to decide to enforce it, you realize where they'll start?

They already have a list of CA gun owners....they simply need to cross reference it with dispensary membership lists...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Many would absolutely love to be able to take cards but the banks can't/won't do business with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are all cash businesses correct?

Probably quite a bit of federal tax evasion going on as well.

Many would absolutely love to be able to take cards but the banks can't/won't do business with them.

You would be surprised at the level of sophistication that goes into tracking it from seed to sale here in WA. Any cannabis that was grown legally cannot just simply disappear, they will want to know where it went and if you would like to keep your license and facility running you better have an answer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The states obviously care more about tax dollars than the health and wellbeing of their citizens. But I doubt they've factored in the cost of healthcare and substance abuse they're going to be facing in the future by promoting drug use.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Will I plead the Tenth hold up in court?
View Quote

Nope, unless the court wants to risk collapsing the entire edifice of laws and regulations that flow from the Interstate Commerce Clause.

Not that that would necessarily be a BAD thing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's going to be a losing fight for the Feds.
View Quote

Only if the ICC gets cut off at the knees.  This will be an interesting fight if it goes to court especially when some liberal judge tries to find away around preserving state pot laws without decapitating the ICC which is what most of the Feds and by extension liberal's power is built on.  

Of course the Feds could always just make federal funding contingent on repealing pot laws.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Commerce Clause according to the courts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  10th Amendment, no constitutional basis for the feds to regulate it.

Commerce Clause according to the courts.

Yet another load of commie bullshit that needs to be struck down.

"You grew too much wheat to feed your livestock that meant you wouldn't buy wheat that may or may not have been grown in another state, therefore INTERSTATE COMMERCE!"
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It  IS illegal.  Shut it down.   THEN, let Trump legalize it along side tobacco under the ATF and have the big tobacco companies handle it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Aren't there bigger things the fed gov't should worry about right now?
View Quote

Not really. Idiots funding Drug Lords is criminal so no big deal with throwing the rats in prison or deporting them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't care either way on this issue...but if your are driven to become politically active in order to gain access to a substance,to get high, your life must be fairly sad and empty.
View Quote

Let's go over this one more time. Remember when people were getting "Obama money" from the stimulus package? Remember "Obama phones"? Well Francis, it was taxpayers money. And now it's still taxpayers money and not Trumps' money. The so called war on drugs is being fought with TAXPAYERS money and has always been a waste of money. Marijuana has become a cash cow for Mexican and South American cartels. It's that way because the fed refuses to let the states make their own decisions. There are frameworks in place and working, that minimize the involvement of cartels. The Oregon "seed to sale" program is an example. Other than allowing private individuals to grow a few plants for personal use, everything is reported, tracked, tested, and taxed. And the taxes and enforcement costs are born by the businesses and users.

It's TAXPAYERS money an we all need to get politically involved to stop out of control spending and get on with the rest of the business that needs to be taken care of.

And in case the cave you live in doesn't have access to the real world, it's easy to get hold of pot whether it's legal or not. People have been getting high for decades.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I would like to think it's a not so oblique approach to the "sanctuary" bullshit.

I'm worried that it just might be the GOP snatching defeat from the jaws of victory kind of deal though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yet another load of commie bullshit that needs to be struck down.

"You grew too much wheat to feed your livestock that meant you wouldn't buy wheat that may or may not have been grown in another state, therefore INTERSTATE COMMERCE!"
View Quote

Probably one of the most damaging SCOTUS rulings to our rights in history.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It will drive the pot head democrats to the polls leading to a crushing defeat for the republicans.

I say legalize it so the dems cannot use it as a wedge issue. In fact tie the law into the hearing protection act and repeal of nfa.
View Quote

It would definitely be nice if we could somehow get the pro gun, and pro weed guys more aligned.  We could have a lot more freedom for everybody.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The states obviously care more about tax dollars than the health and wellbeing of their citizens. But I doubt they've factored in the cost of healthcare and substance abuse they're going to be facing in the future by promoting drug use.
View Quote

Do you think alcohol should be illegal?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok Devil's Advocate a little bit here.  (Full Disclosure Pot Should never have been Schedule 1 imo)

However, where is the line?  Would cocaine be ok?  Heroin?  PCP?  Meth?  Should those be state regulated as well?

Is pot illegal because the FDA says it is or is it called out in the law specifically as being illegal?

If it's the FDA alone it seems like a simple fix, if it's congressional that would require congress to fix it.

Do we really want the bullshit we saw from Obama being done by Pres. Trump where the imperial President gets to violate their sacred oath to enforce the laws of the United States?

And even a more full disclosure, I think most drugs should be legal to take if desired in the most pure form available.    I figure a month or so after we let them take as much, as often as they want the drug problem will be reduced by 90%.
View Quote

cocaine based medicines were widely used for a long time. I think you can still get some, you can still get opiates as well, i dunno about pcp and there are other amphetamines available.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I'm a taxpayer and I pay my taxes to protect my family from shit stain drug dealers, drug hustlers, etc. So far as I'm concerned the government hasn't met their quotas for some time. More in prison, deported or in the cemetery, I don't care so long as they never ever come close to my children.Those that object to that are clearly on the wrong side.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This really isn't about state rights, though, because as long as it's illegal according to the federal government, you can't hold certain jobs, you technically still can't buy a gun, and many employers are still within their rights for firing you for failing a piss test.

The federal government has to decriminalize it, then the states can decide whether it's legal within their borders to buy, sell, and possess.

I'm sure the taxes will be comparable to liquor and cigarettes, and no one's gonna come off hurting.
View Quote

It's an issue of impairment and obeying laws. Urinalysis and breathalyzer tests for drug detection cover more than just marijuana. Those laws concerning impairment while in the workplace or while in a position to affect public safety will, or should, stand.

You're right, get rid of the legal issue and it comes down to what everyone accepts as acceptable behavior at work or when in a position to affect public safety.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you're grossly overestimating the ratio of people who currently use pot vs the number that would if it were legal.
I sincerely doubt you would see more than a 10-15% increase in usage.  The stuff is readily available everywhere and has been since the 70's.

The only difference here is whether the state gets a cut to fund things like health care, education and roads or if Pablo Cartello gets 100% of the money and continues to murder people to ensure that his trade routes remain open.

The WOD has been the most expensive boondoggle in US history.  
Usage rates have basically remained static for 50 years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Dude...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's an issue of impairment and obeying laws. Urinalysis and breathalyzer tests for drug detection cover more than just marijuana. Those laws concerning impairment while in the workplace or while in a position to affect public safety will, or should, stand.

You're right, get rid of the legal issue and it comes down to what everyone accepts as acceptable behavior at work or when in a position to affect public safety.
View Quote

Yes, exposing infants to drugs is a brilliant idea after all Obamacare will pay for their mental health damage right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, exposing infants to drugs is a brilliant idea after all Obamacare will pay for their mental health damage right?
View Quote

What?  Who's recommending that pregnant women smoke or drink while pregnant.  Perhaps I missed it somewhere....
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Either enforce the law or change it. At the current time it's a schedule 1 drug and should be treated as such. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I think there is a bit of a problem for the federal government and MJ.
1. They maintain it is a schedule 1 drug ( no benefit to its use)
2. President Trump has said he thinks there is a benefit to medical MJ. (He has a track record of sticking to his word)
3. AG Sessions says enforce the law.
4. If the Feds don't enforce medical MJ and enforce recreation MJ there is a equal protection under the law problem.

Please feel free to correct me if I have something wrong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
MJ is against federal law.  If congress doesn't want the Justice Department enforcing the law they need to change it.  Otherwise it's the Justice Departments job to enforce the law and crack down on MJ.
View Quote

The Feds can de-schedule it without Congress.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#27]
FJS!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Feds can de-schedule it without Congress.
View Quote

Yes, a lot of liberals are actually pissed at the Obama administration for not doing more to reschedule it.  Instead he just ignored the federal laws and left legal mj in a state of limbo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pot was decriminalized in my state for anything under a half ounce, which is like a parking ticket. A guy just recently got a ticket for a roach in his ashtray ( what is left if you smoke a joint) and after paying his fine the state stepped in and took his registered AW AR15.
View Quote
Well duh, ever read a 4473? 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chances are, it will be cheaper than all the costs of enforcement. Cops, Courts and Prisons are not cheap.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Only if the ICC gets cut off at the knees.  This will be an interesting fight if it goes to court especially when some liberal judge tries to find away around preserving state pot laws without decapitating the ICC which is what most of the Feds and by extension liberal's power is built on.  

Of course the Feds could always just make federal funding contingent on repealing pot laws.
View Quote

Politics. Not law.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Deschedule, put a low tax on it($10/lb area) and let the states decide.

We have better things to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like taxing marijuana can pay for The Wall™.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You would be surprised at the level of sophistication that goes into tracking it from seed to sale here in WA. Any cannabis that was grown legally cannot just simply disappear, they will want to know where it went and if you would like to keep your license and facility running you better have an answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

And it is irrelevant to this discussion anyways.  The potential for tax evasion should not even be considered when determining whether or not something should be legal.  First off, commerce doesn't exist for the purpose of generating tax revenue.  Second off, any goods that can be sold under the table could also be made illegal using this argument.  Third, you are going to get far greater tax compliance from legal dispensaries with something to lose than you could ever dream of getting from a drug cartel.

It's a completely ridiculous argument.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sounds like taxing marijuana can pay for The Wall™.
View Quote

the estimated cost for the wall is ruffly 1 day worth of federal government spending.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pot was decriminalized in my state for anything under a half ounce, which is like a parking ticket. A guy just recently got a ticket for a roach in his ashtray ( what is left if you smoke a joint) and after paying his fine the state stepped in and took his registered AW AR15.

Sounds like the state recognizes and enforces portions of federal MJ law, and not others.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Now show me the amendment that says pot is legal and then I will agree it is a federal issue.
View Quote

9.  The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

10.  The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

And by implication and bonus points, I will give you:

18.  Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all the territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

21.  Section 1. The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#42]
that would be a big mistake if he really does follow through on this

this should have been made legal long ago
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's actually my fear.  I believe this is an attempt to get back at so called 'sanctuary states'.  Trump might be all like "If you want to shelter illegals I'll sent the DOJ to fuck up your state economies by cracking down on weed".
View Quote
I'm fine with that. Wa can't operate a functional economy without taxing people to death and it still fucks that up so.... bring the hammer down. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Nothin like rollin into 20 trillion in debt, with failing entitlements, and imploding healthcare, and a 16 year long economic stagnation, and saying to yourself "now is a good time to arrest more potheads."
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It would definitely be nice if we could somehow get the pro gun, and pro weed guys more aligned.  We could have a lot more freedom for everybody.
View Quote

This.  Voted for legalization in CO and very pro gun here

I don't see any inconsistency, but for many the indoctrination against weed is pretty damn thorough, almost to a reefer madness brainwashing point.  Which is exactly, precisely how liberals feel about guns.  It's all fear-based decision making, which is known to be very hard to correct.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shops in Oregon take cards.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Are we just going to sit here and pretend that all the folks who are saying "We gotta follow the rule of law" actually give a damn about the rule of law in this case? Let's be honest, they just have a personal thing against marijuana and are happy that the federal government has unconstitutionally usurped its enumerated powers to ban it. 

The rule of law was ignored in order to arbitrarily create an unconstitutional law. 
By not enforcing unconstitutional laws, we are ignoring the rule of law.

Is that how this works? 

“Every law consistent with the Constitution will have been made in pursuance of the powers granted by it. Every usurpation or law repugnant to it cannot have been made in pursuance of its powers. The latter will be nugatory and void.” - Thomas Jefferson

"…the laws of Congress are restricted to a certain sphere, and when they depart from this sphere, they are no longer supreme or binding. In the same manner the states have certain independent power, in which their laws are supreme.” - Alexander Hamilton

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sounds like the state recognizes and enforces portions of federal MJ law, and not others.

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
You are correct. It's a cluster fuck which is which why the law either needs change or enforced. I don't care one way or another but one of these things needs to happen. 
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top