BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All this talk about examining the spillway.  The last examination was done "Visually, from a distance".  After reading a bit more about how they used FlexSeal to keep water out of the tunnels as a permanent fix,the inspection probably consisted of glancing at Google Earth.
View Quote

Nope, you could see cracks in Google Earth, so it can't be that
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They would have known to move the salmon as soon as the spillway hole open up.  The dirt, debris, and possible high water flow from that would have been enough to cause major problems.  The sediment clogs pumps and hatcheries have all sorts of pumps, sprayers, nozzles...etc.  which would have been clogged.  Move the fish so they can turn it all off and everything will be fine.

I think the sheriff made a smart call on evac order after getting bullshit answers from DWR all day long.  Much easier to evac 200,000 people at 6pm than 2am.  But DWR knew they were going to use the spillway several days before, they prepped the ground for it.  They drug their feet opening up the spillway to 100,000 cfs and created the whole mess.  Had they opened it from 55,000 to 100,000 cfs just 4 hours earlier, during daylight hours, the water would have stopped flowing over the weir well before dark and before their "60 minutes until your town is flooded" tweet.  She sheriff seemed to be only one thinking "what if something doesn't go as planned".  
View Quote

That sheriff is the single bright spot in California government right now. I hope he is getting a lot of support.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Man I am tired,put in 80 hours this week loading out rock to repair the twenty mile dam this was supposed to last 3-4 weeks now they're saying 3-4 months 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would think they have bigger problems than worrying about pictures being taken right now. Know they have to find someone else to do the job of the fired people. Fire them later shit need to be fixed first. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would think they have bigger problems than worrying about pictures being taken right now. Know they have to find someone else to do the job of the fired people. Fire them later shit need to be fixed first. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The contractor fired their own employees who leaked data.  If a leaked photo causes problems for the state then the contractor could lose all their state contracts.  That would probably put the contractor out of business, so they really didn't have a choice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The contractor fired their own employees who leaked data.  If a leaked photo causes problems for the state then the contractor could lose all their state contracts.  That would probably put the contractor out of business, so they really didn't have a choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was so special about the leaked pictures? I missed them
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing special, it the contractor's policy that no picture are taken and posted to social media, at any of their job sites. If you do, you are fired.  That is getting to be a common policy now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Its Sunday morning there now. I sure would like to see an overhead view from today, of the work done so far behind the E spillway. If any one sees and aircraft, news copter, or drone footage form today, please post some screen grabs, or links to recordings of it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nothing special, it the contractor's policy that no picture are taken and posted to social media, at any of their job sites. If you do, you are fired.  That is getting to be a common policy now.
View Quote

I see, I'm good with that
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I get that but getting repairs done seem more important to me. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heaven forbid that people should see what the fuck is going on.

Oh, the horror!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Morning picture

Pictures from Yesterday are sparse.  All I've got is screen grabs from the visitor center webcam and the 1 video from a guy 2+ miles away... and one pic of the barge which may actually have been from Friday.  Album  CA DWR didn't release any official photos yesterday.  As always I'll keep a look out for new pictures of the work being done.

Edit and as soon as I say that... CA DWR just realsed some pics... one moment while I pull them down and rehost.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Album Updated.  Official pictures from Yesterday and a few from today.  Here's a couple.

18th:

19th:

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#15]
this one from Yesterday seems like it was taken after they reduced flow significantly.  Can see some of what's left of the main spillway.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#16]
tweet contains video I believe is from Yesterday of the base of the Main spillway after flow was reduced.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#17]
They are very close to the 850' elevation no one thought they'd reach, 852.30 @9 am today.

I'm amazed as much of the lower spillway is still standing as there is.  100kcfs firehose beating on it for days and it's still there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Man I am tired,put in 80 hours this week loading out rock to repair the twenty mile dam this was supposed to last 3-4 weeks now they're saying 3-4 months 
View Quote

Making bank and stacking paper !
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its Sunday morning there now. I sure would like to see an overhead view from today, of the work done so far behind the E spillway. If any one sees and aircraft, news copter, or drone footage form today, please post some screen grabs, or links to recordings of it.
Thanks
View Quote
here's a video that was just posted now that was taken Yesterday.

Oroville Spillway February 18, 2017

https://youtu.be/yxgtyOfwrj8
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Everything is gonna be fine.

"The dam is gonna burst" is 2017s "he's gonna drop out any day now."
View Quote

And EBOLA will kill us all...

Stock up on beans and hotdogs...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say there was nothing special about them, although if the spillway fails and people die they could be used.  That is the whole reason the contractor has a "no pictures" policy.  It isn't just pictures, it is pictures of the companies work and it is pictures that could screw over their largest client.  It doesn't have to be anything special, it's a violation of company policy and something that could possibly bankrupt the company.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to undermine the profession but construction workers are a dime a dozen.  Good construction workers are worth their weight in gold, as they prevent problems not cause them.  Most likely these guys were new guys hired by this company to speed things up...and they caused a problem.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxgtyOfwrj8

View Quote

All that work with the helicopters seems like a complete waste of money, they built a road all the way there anyway. Could have just rolled dump trucks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
.... Interesting. The damaged spillway is so bad that relatively lowe outflows are diverted from the abscess. Very little makes its way down its intended path
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Oh, the horror!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the horror!

Go there and take a picture then.  No one is stopping people from taking pictures.  The construction company fired people who violated company policy, in a move that was 100% about protecting the construction company.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

All that work with the helicopters seems like a complete waste of money, they built a road all the way there anyway. Could have just rolled dump trucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure now it seems like a waste.  Last Sunday they were expecting heavy rains on Wednesday that would have pushed the e-spillway back into action.  They have worked 24x7 for 6 days, compared to having only the 48 hours they initially thought they would.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh, the horror!
View Quote

Sort of like NASA and their space pictures..
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#29]

This is NICE!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
.... Interesting. The damaged spillway is so bad that relatively lowe outflows are diverted from the abscess. Very little makes its way down its intended path
View Quote
yep. At least at lower outflow volumes.

They're at 55k there and when they're at 100K much more makes it across the gap or bounces back up... and comes down what's left off the base of the spillway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sure now it seems like a waste.  Last Sunday they were expecting heavy rains on Wednesday that would have pushed the e-spillway back into action.  They have worked 24x7 for 6 days, compared to having only the 48 hours they initially thought they would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They got damn lucky that soaker storm went south. L.A. news said it was the worst storm in 20 years.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
this one from Yesterday seems like it was taken after they reduced flow significantly.  Can see some of what's left of the main spillway.

http://i.imgur.com/URQKnIY.jpg
View Quote

Good picture...looks as thought the hole in the main spillway is acting like a dam and directing water back towards the dam's toe..
Maybe they'd be better off blowing the rest of the main spillway right on outta there allowing the water to go on a straight line into the river
in a spot where it won't erode back towards the dam...?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#33]
got a facebook live view for the moment of the base of the main spillway.

https://www.facebook.com/OrovilleNewsOnly4firesAccidentsEventsCrimes/posts/722606157910453
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.facebook.com/OrovilleNewsOnly4firesAccidentsEventsCrimes/posts/722606157910453
View Quote

I wasn't thinking it was going to breach completely, but that looks pretty bad.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wasn't thinking it was going to breach completely, but that looks pretty bad.
View Quote
you new to the thread?  Cause this is much better than it was.  you can take a look back at what's been going on the past week or so here: Album  Huge outflows and the near undermining of the Emergency spillway were much worse than this much reduced flow.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Facebooker:  "This is happening right now??"

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They got damn lucky that soaker storm went south. L.A. news said it was the worst storm in 20 years.
View Quote

The Mrs has friends in that general area.
They about needed flippers and snorkels
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm no professional but I think they are going to need a new spillway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They are very close to the 850' elevation no one thought they'd reach, 852.30 @9 am today.

I'm amazed as much of the lower spillway is still standing as there is.  100kcfs firehose beating on it for days and it's still there.
View Quote

No, they said they'd be at 850 by Thursday of last week.  That was bullshit.  That they dodged a bullet and the heavy rain that was forecast didn't come in doesn't make them honest or competent all the sudden.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Notice the big chunk of spillway that was lodged at the bottom? It's pretty amazing how much power is in that water.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, they said they'd be at 850 by Thursday of last week.  That was bullshit.  That they dodged a bullet and the heavy rain that was forecast didn't come in doesn't make them honest or competent all the sudden.
View Quote

All that counts is being mostly CORRECT...

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Would it work if they prefabbed a steel structure to replace
the entire spillway in the same manner they build ships? Seems
it could be assembled in weeks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
  Just the tip, eh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well dam!  I was thinking a bit homo

Ed
  Just the tip, eh?
I'm pulling for ya Ed. Don't give up !!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

ok.

Lorduss

and

HDLS

Looked back through the early pages of the thread and they stood out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See it's easy

Just pick somebody and let me know

Ed

eta; try doing this a dozen time a year

ok.

Lorduss

and

HDLS

Looked back through the early pages of the thread and they stood out.
wait....wut?

Edit- Dam! went back and saw a few posts I didn't read.

See below post.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sorry. Had to fix Mom dinner.

HDLS. Log out and in.

Another bet I'm happy to pay

Ed
View Quote
@M1-Ed  
Dam! A guy can't even leave the damn dam thread to go inventory and organize his ammo fort without something going down.  

Wow, not sure what to say other then Dam! And thanks of course. This place never ceases to amaze me.

In this case it's a positive amazement.

Now to catch up with the latest
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Notice the big chunk of spillway that was lodged at the bottom? It's pretty amazing how much power is in that water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that is going to be a pain in the butt to clean up/dredge.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lots of balloons
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Does nobody realize that half of the entire state of California is rural red maga country?

Seems like some folls think everone here surfs daily and is a retard lib.

Lots to learn.

This is Jefferson State up here.

Npr is JPR and it doesnt suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commiefagians and their green fonts. That whole state needs to break off and sink in the Pacific Ocean.

Does nobody realize that half of the entire state of California is rural red maga country?

Seems like some folls think everone here surfs daily and is a retard lib.

Lots to learn.

This is Jefferson State up here.

Npr is JPR and it doesnt suck.
There's some chunks of urban red here too.

San Diego and Orange counties by precinct.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top