BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this one from Yesterday seems like it was taken after they reduced flow significantly.  Can see some of what's left of the main spillway.

http://i.imgur.com/URQKnIY.jpg
View Quote

I'm surprised there's anything left of that lower portion. There must be a wall of stout bedrock (the only one in the area) it's built on.

Ed
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Interesting that a State that champions rights mandates people be fired for exercising their rights, the fix is in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting that a State that champions rights mandates people be fired for exercising their rights, the fix is in.
Did the State have any part in their Firing? 

They were Fired for breaking Company Policy....... 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@M1-Ed  
Dam! A guy can't even leave the damn dam thread to go inventory and organize his ammo fort without something going down.  

Wow, not sure what to say other then Dam! And thanks of course. This place never ceases to amaze me.

In this case it's a positive amazement.

Now to catch up with the latest
View Quote

Thought you might be out Gold dredging

Ed
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Man, I can't thank you enough for compiling those links and reposting them every so often, it is extremely helpful for quick reference!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lake Oroville Dam

NBC KCRA Ch.3
ABC KRCR Ch.7CBS Sacramento Ch.13FOX KTXL Ch.40Butte County Sheriff, Cal Fire, Chico and Paradise Police/Fire Scanner
California Department of Water ResourcesProFryan VideosMaster_of_Orion Image Gallery
Oroville Spreadsheet 2011 - Present w/Elevation-Volume by member brass
Sheet 1 is data with flow, sheet 2 is elevation <-> volume conversion.
Please share any charts/graphs/derivative works back to member:
brass

Man, I can't thank you enough for compiling those links and reposting them every so often, it is extremely helpful for quick reference!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@M1-Ed  
Dam! A guy can't even leave the damn dam thread to go inventory and organize his ammo fort without something going down.  

Wow, not sure what to say other then Dam! And thanks of course. This place never ceases to amaze me.

Ed

and a goldbug just knows...tons of yellow washed out and continues to wash out of those hills...just waitin to be picked up...and its bound to hit $2000/Oz this summer....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can't see the video.  Is it on YouTube somewhere?  Is something interesting happening?
View Quote
It's not live any more.  It was just a live feed pointed at the bottom of the main spillway.  Nothing much going on.  But since they've had reduced flow today and yesterday you can see the damage done to the lower half that the 100k flows the previous few days caused.  Didn't see really anything that I haven't already posted a pic of in the thread.  You can always check my Album for the pics I post.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

and a goldbug just knows...tons of yellow washed out and continues to wash out of those hills...just waitin to be picked up...and its bound to hit $2000/Oz this summer....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@M1-Ed  

Ed

Unfortunately dredging in California is banned and has been for many years maybe 10 now. I have a 4 inch dredge on the side of my house and have ran 5 and 6 inch dredges in my life. My grandfather used to manufacture 8-10 inch triple sluice dredges back in the 60's and 70's.  It's pretty tough to break even on costs if you can't move alot of material.

Sure  a guy can get lucky with a metal detector but most of the gold in Cali that a person can recover is placer gold, which is usually under water and is also small in actual size.   Most would call it flake gold and is less then a pennyweight usually. You can get larger and I have picked 1 ounce nuggets myself a few times but that doesn't happen anymore with the current regs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ed
View Quote

Dredging in CA now illegal. Might hurt the river somehow.

Like spring flooding does not move 1,000,000 times more material than a 4" dredge.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Like spring flooding does not move 1,000,000 times more material than a 4" dredge.

Aviator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

Aviator

Actually I personally think it's beneficial. I have removed many ounces of mercury from the bottom of rivers that escaped from sluices built in the original gold rush. Many times after moving feet of overburden to get down to bedrock you will recover gold flake , some nuggets if lucky and an amalgam of mercury and gold. You can separate the gold from the mercury thus gaining gold and removing mercury from the ecosystem.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Apologies if this has been previously posted:

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8PvcfA13P4
View Quote

Fox has this up on their FB, good view.

What is the CFS? Almost no water is going down the lower part of the spill way
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Useless dam trivia . . .
The coal mine (out of operation since 2006) I mentioned on pg. 204 has an accompanying steam generation plant next door. They burn rail delivered Powder River basin coal now.
The steam plant operators own an earth fill dam several miles away on the Skookumchuck River to assure a year-round water supply.
When I was doing some maintenance work at the fish ladder collection operation, I spoke to a surveyor doing a semi-annual dam inspection. His company has performed the inspections since it was built.
I asked if the dam had moved at all since it was built. He claimed that it had "settled" about a foot down river from its original setting
I then asked if the dam moves at all between the highest and lowest retention levels. He said it moves up river a couple inches when totally full compared to it's lowest level.
I called bullshit saying "Yeah, that's a good one" thinking instinctively that pressure surely pushes a dam down river.  
He was serious. He explained that when full the maximum pressure behind the arc-shaped dam causes the center of the arc to "shift" up river slightly.
Go figure.

Anyway, I hope the CA factions responsible for the Oroville dam build a proper concrete spillway for the emergency outlet along with other needed repairs.
I assume they will but who knows.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Makes you wonder why the spillway wasn't designed with that left hand turn. It's obvious the water wanted to go that way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good picture...looks as thought the hole in the main spillway is acting like a dam and directing water back towards the dam's toe..
Maybe they'd be better off blowing the rest of the main spillway right on outta there allowing the water to go on a straight line into the river
in a spot where it won't erode back towards the dam...?
View Quote
unpossible

with the flows seen already the chance that erosion will make a 90 deg left turn, erode another quarter mile of rock and dirt, then make another left turn to direct flow towards the dam is somewhat nil.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking about doing some panning and sluicing this year
if there is a good year to do it, this is it
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
CFS is cubic feet per second.  The volume of water that's flowing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Would it work if they prefabbed a steel structure to replace
the entire spillway in the same manner they build ships? Seems
it could be assembled in weeks.
View Quote
3,700 feet long, 170 wide with 20 ft plus walls
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Aviator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

Aviator
They are worried that dredging will stir up man made/residual mercury. because there is no such thing as natural mercury, or that dredges can remove it from the waters
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Two questions:

1. So, it sounds like they have it safely under control (relatively speaking), at least for now?
2. Is there a way to calculate runoff from the snow pack when it starts warming up?

(I'd think #2 would be an educated guess based on historical data, but I don't know)
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
3,700 feet long, 170 wide with 20 ft plus walls
View Quote

And.. that is only 4 cruise ship deck sections.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

What would this structure be placed on?

Not going to span the eroded gap without a massive structure to support the weight of a couple million pounds of water per second..

The connections / welding alone would take months....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
We were in a 5yr drought and it ashame to see all that precious water sent to the ocean. What a waste..
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not going to span the eroded gap without a massive structure to support the weight of a couple million pounds of water per second..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole thing, pedestals sunk in the rock and isolated with rubber. Would not take months
to weld at all. Think ship construction with a bigger budget. The gap you are speaking of would
have to be addressed either way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Two questions:

1. So, it sounds like they have it safely under control (relatively speaking), at least for now?
2. Is there a way to calculate runoff from the snow pack when it starts warming up?

(I'd think #2 would be an educated guess based on historical data, but I don't know)
View Quote
for 2.  I can't and don't know if anyone here can.  We'll be relying on their (DWR's) consultants if they share those predictions with us. 

As for 1.  they're pretty close to lake level 850... So it would take a couple days for heavy sustained rain and or warm up to increased flows into the lake and raise it again.  Assuming they open the gates back up to 100k cfs.  Currently it's at 55k but they may be raising it to 60k in the next little bit.

I don't know what they're plans are... we could even see them open up the gates further to 150k cfs or more... depends how bad the rains and warm up are and how desperate they are to avoid over-topping again or how confident they are of their juryrigged repairs. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
The title needs to be updated.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As of 1400 PST outflow down the spillway was 54,858cfs
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They are worried that dredging will stir up man made/residual mercury. because there is no such thing as natural mercury, or that dredges can remove it from the waters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

Aviator

Just buy the Gold in a store. It's cheaper than dealing with the State

Ed
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to pan for gold at the confluence of the North and Middle Fork of the American River in the early 80's.
There were guys who would have sluice boxes, rocker boxes, suction dredges, floating dredges, guys in wetsuits, heck, there were guys who were going to the tailing piles and where they had used water monitors to get dirt.
Nothing big, everything had to be humped down the side of the canyon.
Some of the guys talked about mercury in the river, I personally never saw any.
Some of the old timers told us that most of the mercury and arsenic had been washed away years ago...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Two questions:

View Quote

#2- The state does snow surveys all winter to determine water content.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Are they re-attaching the power lines from the powerstation to the grid?

Does that mean that they are going to restart the turbines and generators?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are going to relocate the tower nearest the spillway first.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
since those weren't cut... no... but they may be cutting them now so they can relocate the towers. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He asked "What is the CFS?", not "What is CFS?".  

At the time he asked the flow out was 54898 CFS.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=ORO
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#34]
So has the dam failed yet?

How many Hydraulics and Drainage
experts have we found? How many has this thread made?

Shouldn't be, but is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I used to pan for gold at the confluence of the North and Middle Fork of the American River in the early 80's.
There were guys who would have sluice boxes, rocker boxes, suction dredges, floating dredges, guys in wetsuits, heck, there were guys who were going to the tailing piles and where they had used water monitors to get dirt.
Some of the old timers told us that most of the mercury and arsenic had been washed away years ago...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mercury is still in the rivers at one time I had a couple bottles of it that I took out. To get to the mercury you have to get down deep sometimes through 10-20 feet of overburden. Mercury is like gold in that it will drop through sediment layers as the river is churning and get into the deepest cracks and holes, right were gold likes to go.  

The theory with dredging stirring up the mercury was a scare tactic for the uninformed. Mercury will stay in the sluice of a dredge just like gold if it is sucked from the bottom.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
since those weren't cut... no... but they may be cutting them now so they can relocate the towers. 
View Quote

I wonder if they have to "cut" them or of they have splices where they can disconnect them.
Any power line monkey's here?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Dredging the river by the dam with that excavator is gonna be like painting a house with a toothbrush 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The mercury is still in the rivers at one time I had a couple bottles of it that I took out. To get to the mercury you have to get down deep sometimes through 10-20 feet of overburden. Mercury is like gold in that it will drop through sediment layers as the river is churning and get into the deepest cracks and holes, right were gold likes to go.  
The theory with dredging stirring up the mercury was a scare tactic for the uninformed. Mercury will stay in the sluice of a dredge just like gold if it is sucked from the bottom.
View Quote

One of my friends had found a few honey holes he used to pan.
He would hit them up every 6 weeks or so as they would have new "dirt" in them.
His first run of the year produced his best gold.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I wonder if they have to "cut" them or of they have splices where they can disconnect them.
View Quote

That tool dangling from the lineman a few pages back.. cable cutter.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I have a few I could go to right now and pan for gold. Panning or even sluicing for gold is just scratching the surface in terms of gold mining placer deposits.  He is getting sand size and smaller flake gold that can be carried by storm surge rivers, even the larger gold flakes will migrate towards the center of the river channel. That's why dredging is so good. you are working areas that may not have been touched in decades or more and the wash out of upstream tertiary gravels have deposited gold back into those spots.  Your buddy is pulling maybe a few pennyweights to maybe 10 if very lucky, I have seen 20 ounces come from one crack that got better  going from the edge of the stream towards the center with 7 of those 20 ounces coming from one pocket in the deepest part of the crack.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

When fishing in the Newberry Caldera, specifically East Lake, they warn you about eating the larger German brown trout because of the naturally occurring mercury. Since there is no outlet, the bigger fish concentrate the mercury from volcanic activity.
Link here.
"Also, due to naturally occurring mercury, the state advises anglers to avoid eating larger brown trout and to limit other fish consumption to levels recommended in the annual Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations booklet."

By the way, it is pretty neat to be sitting in a boat and fishing in a volcanic crater.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#42]
We need a little "Damn Music"...

Raise A Little Hell - Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

When fishing in the Newberry Caldera, specifically East Lake, they warn you about eating the larger German brown trout because of the naturally occurring mercury. Since there is no outlet, the bigger fish concentrate the mercury from volcanic activity.
Link here.
"Also, due to naturally occurring mercury, the state advises anglers to avoid eating larger brown trout and to limit other fish consumption to levels recommended in the annual Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations booklet."

By the way, it is pretty neat to be sitting in a boat and fishing in a volcanic crater.
View Quote

I don't think they are differentiating the metal (free mercury) from its compounds, in minerals or otherwise.

Sloppy use of words in something like this gives the wrong impression. (sometimes it's intentional)

I'm guessing here.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes I have a few I could go to right now and pan for gold. Panning or even sluicing for gold is just scratching the surface in terms of gold mining placer deposits.  He is getting sand size and smaller flake gold that can be carried by storm surge rivers, even the larger gold flakes will migrate towards the center of the river channel. That's why dredging is so good. you are working areas that may not have been touched in decades or more and the wash out of upstream tertiary gravels have deposited gold back into those spots.  Your buddy is pulling maybe a few pennyweights to maybe 10 if very lucky, I have seen 20 ounces come from one crack that got better  going from the edge of the stream towards the center with 7 of those 20 ounces coming from one pocket in the deepest part of the crack.
View Quote

That was over 37 years ago.  
He would fill up a couple of the glass "crack" bottles every few months.
When the water was low (either from dam release or near the end of summer) he would wade out as far as he could and look for hidey holes and bring the dirt back in plastic 5 gallon buckets and pan it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I watched the Fox news report tonight and all I could think if is that OP's great vantage point is out and known.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Another cool video!

Is it correct that the eSpillway is covered with a several inch thick EDPM [or something] membrane...

Thought I saw that on one of the technical dwgs a week ago...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Likely to be some GOOD pickins...

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#49]
The "drone" in the title is BS but overall the footage is good

https://youtu.be/PaG1BhAJJr8
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By watching that video , it appeared that what PG&E did was fly a pair of lineman to 3-4 of the towers closest to the main spillway on both sides and un - clipped the conductors from the insulators and installed stringing rollers and laid the conductor in it .  The reason for that was to cut the wire down from both sides from a location where they could slack the tension off and let it down to the ground .
  The guy riding the chair from the helo had to cut the wire after it was slacked off from i'm guessing the tower closest to the main spillway , so they could roll it up from both directions . Lot of assumptions in my post i know ,  but since I'm a power line monkey thats my best guess !
Hope that helps
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top