BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Apparently so. Google has been reporting wrong dates all day.  Not sure what is going on but they dated that article and many other articles 1997.  With no date on the story, the 1997 date on Google, and the 1997 down stream evacuation in the article I just figured the whole thing was from 1997. 

http://www.afterhourtechs.com/misc/spillway_1997.JPG
View Quote

I first saw this back on page one, and have followed ever since. Google nor the media has covered the full story from the searches I've done. There are more in depth links to what happened here than anywhere else, they have whitewashed the whole no worry but let's move the salmon BS.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

LOTS of shady "Search Engine Optimizing" companies have destroyed finding good data on the dam easily.    It was OK when this thread started, but turned to crap quickly.

Unrelated documents from random dates had the latest headline jacked in, PDFs were renamed, and stuff like that.   People that do that need to be taken out behind the Internet and shot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently so. Google has been reporting wrong dates all day.  Not sure what is going on but they dated that article and many other articles 1997.  With no date on the story, the 1997 date on Google, and the 1997 down stream evacuation in the article I just figured the whole thing was from 1997. 

http://www.afterhourtechs.com/misc/spillway_1997.JPG

LOTS of shady "Search Engine Optimizing" companies have destroyed finding good data on the dam easily.    It was OK when this thread started, but turned to crap quickly.

Unrelated documents from random dates had the latest headline jacked in, PDFs were renamed, and stuff like that.   People that do that need to be taken out behind the Internet and shot.

Yeah finding any good data on the dam is nearly impossible now.  That is why I was doing a custom search on Google setting the date range to last December and earlier.  The result turned up so clearly it was an article that was written before this event.  Nope. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
got some good weather intel from this morning, higher than avg snow levels are coming as I expected

https://files.opensnow.com/Tahoe/2017/february3/sun-tuesnowfalltotalfcst.JPG

1 inch of rain roughly equals 12 inches of snow, so that is 5-7 inches on top of a lot of snow pack along the crest

https://files.opensnow.com/Tahoe/2017/february3/gfs_tprecip_norcal_19.png

Monday-Monday night appears to be the biggest day for us so far
snow levels at 6500-7500 feet through most of this so a lot of rain falling on snowpack
it still looks to be colder and a shorter duration than the last event so not nearly the rise in water levels we saw last time
with the amount of water they are letting out I think they are gonna float this one just fine

some perspective on snowpack from our local ski resorts

https://files.opensnow.com/Tahoe/2017/february3/snowfalltotalssat.JPG

all of this info comes from Lake tahoe area snow forecast, The Tahoe daily snow

the forum kept my old avatar, score!
View Quote
From that list of Ski Areas and the North side..... For those that don't know the Area....
Sugar Bowl & Boreal are on the West Side of Donner Summit... Runoff will Flow West.
The rest are East of Donner Summit and the runoff will flow East, towards Tahoe & Reno......

I don't know about these current Storms, but it's common to see snow down to Colfax or even Applegate, during February Storms on I-80... 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Fox news says that up to 10 inches of rain are possible by Monday. I hope that don't happen.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess we were supposed to met them at the State Line, rifles in hand, and make them prove the were conservatives before letting them in.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that's the President's new plan.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess we were supposed to met them at the State Line, rifles in hand, and make them prove the were conservatives before letting them in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  Kinda like what is happening in New Mexico, Right? 
I'm old enough to Remember Signs in the Seventies.....

"Welcome to California, Now Go Home"
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fox news says that up to 10 inches of rain are possible by Monday. I hope that don't happen.
View Quote

News always sensationalises shit like this. One tiny area might get 10" locally, where the rest of the area gets a couple inches....
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Several short news stories have been linked in the thread about the 2009 River Valve Outlet System accident, but I haven't seen the actual OSHA report referenced.

Somehow the description of the overall safety culture seems familiar... with the current situation involving the Emergency-sacrificial-last-resort-use-only-and-sound-the-evacuation-alarm-spillway Auxiliary-it-will-be-fine-no-worry-spillway:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Several short news stories have been linked in the thread about the 2009 River Valve Outlet System accident, but I haven't seen the actual OSHA report referenced.

Somehow the description of the overall safety culture seems familiar... with the current situation involving the Emergency-sacrificial-last-resort-use-only-and-sound-the-evacuation-alarm-spillway Auxiliary-it-will-be-fine-no-worry-spillway:

-The energy dispersion ring was removed from the river valve system in April of 2009. This is a critical safety device in the operation of the river valves. It was not replaced. DWR stated (TB) that the ring was not replaced because DWR did not have the time with the up coming season.
-Department of Dam Safety was not consulted and did not approve the removal of the energy dispersion ring. When DWR makes any changes to the Dam they must get approval from this group and they did not get approval. No party, body, group or department reviewed, analyzed or inspected the river valve system to determine the hazards created by removal of the energy dispersion ring.
- The employees in the River Valve Chamber during operation of the river valves have limited access as they are in the ventilation of the discharge volume exposed to air flow of over 100 mph.
-DWR had not evidence of ever opening the river valves to 100% during the life of the system, but decided to operate them in this capacity without the energy dispersion ring.
-Employees expressed safety concerns (see interview notes and recordings) with operation of the River Valves to 100% because this is not the way they systems was engineered or designed to be used.
-Modeling studies done when dam was constructed and in 1993 by UC Davis (see file and dvd). Both concluded that the operation of the river valves in the tunnel should not be done or severely limited with out the energy dispersion ring. DWR was aware of these studies and had copies and a video of the actual test. The tests and studies and original engineered design were ignored and the operation of the river valves was approved.
-The River Valve Chamber break-away wall was never inspected for integrity or safety for over 40 years.
-The vacuum alarm on the break-away wall in the RVC Chamber was disconnected and not in operation when valves were operated and DWR stated they have never inspected or maintained this alarm.
-The access was limited during the operation of the river valves. Employees could not escape the chamber due to the hurricane like winds.
-Corroded bolts were identified that were intended to secure the break-away wall (23 failed before accident-corroded and no evidence of shearing). Also, foam sealant had been placed in the past by DWR employees around door to keep water out - foam was localed in area where bolts were corroded. This indicates knowledge of corrosion and failure of the bolts and seal of the door.
-The cone valve is used in the tunnel which is confined and demands high amounts of air at high velocities during discharge. The American Society of Mechanical Engineers Hydro Power Technical Committee the Hydraulic Structures 3rd edition states that this type of valve (fixed-cone dispersion valve) should not be used or set to discharge into a confined space.

Those sorts of violations are willful and can result in managers facing civil and criminal penalties in private industry.  I guess in government those behaviors lead to promotions.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]

So when does the "USS Scoop 'Em Out" head out to sea?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's just Goofy!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Great picture!

Where is it at? What are they doing?

The Top Men of the Dam are going all out!

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Was looking at pictures of how messed up Maxwell down the valley on I-5 is
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Odd that the enviroloons have been quiet about this. Earth being washed away, silt and trash in the rivers and
flowing downstream. They normally go full retard on things like that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They would threaten to take away his pension if he leaked it, so he will stay quiet.

When I worked building a highway 20 years ago they had some sort of nuclear density testing machine that they ran to tell if the asphalt that was laid was sound enough.  They now have the portable ground penetrating sonar systems.  One would assume that part of the inspection would have included at least a couple passes up and down the spillway with either one of those types of devices just to make sure there was no settlement under the concrete and to make sure the concrete itself was retaining the density they expected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They would threaten to take away his pension if he leaked it, so he will stay quiet.

When I worked building a highway 20 years ago they had some sort of nuclear density testing machine that they ran to tell if the asphalt that was laid was sound enough.  They now have the portable ground penetrating sonar systems.  One would assume that part of the inspection would have included at least a couple passes up and down the spillway with either one of those types of devices just to make sure there was no settlement under the concrete and to make sure the concrete itself was retaining the density they expected.

The one maintenance report I heard referred to in one of the press conferences mentioned a test called "Chaining". From what I could find about that process is this:

1.2.2 Procedure B, Chain Drag—This procedure consists of dragging a chain over the bridge deck surface. The detection of delaminations is accomplished by the operator noting dull or hollow sounds. Tapping the bridge deck surface with a steel rod or hammer may be substituted for the chain drag.

https://www.astm.org/Standards/D4580.htm
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So the theory is that is what caused the sink hole under the spillway?
View Quote

Partially. The dribble set the stage. The actual flow sealed the deal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't know about these current Storms, but it's common to see snow down to Colfax or even Applegate, during February Storms on I-80...  [/b]
View Quote

Auburn, Ophir, Newcastle, Penryn, Loomis...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oregon had a similar sign when Tom McCall was Governor. It was primarily aimed at Californians!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Youtube searches on Oroville are turning up more garbage by the day.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Great picture!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Great picture!

That picture is in the pool where the tunnels from the turbines exit the powerhouse up against the dam.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Our newest addition to the fleet. Converted this 200 ton Navy crane into a bucket dredge. It has a 50cy bucket.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86476/Coverdredge-149046.JPG
View Quote

That's what I'm talking about!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oregon had a similar sign when Tom McCall was Governor. It was primarily aimed at Californians!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

I rember seeing that sign on the highways and freeway. I also remember the bumper stickers, "Don't Californicate Oregon".

From wiki:

"Californication as a pejorative was a culmination of sentiments known in the 1940s, typified by Stewart Holbrook, author and Oregonian columnist, who campaigned through the fictitious James G. Blaine Society against development and unchecked population growth. Similar groups—such as The Miller Society—jokingly promoted measures like building a 16-foot (4.9 m) tall fence all along Interstate 5 to prevent exiting between California and Washington, expelling non-native Oregon-born residents, and instituting a $5000 immigration fee.[9]

In 1965, Eugene's first planning commission began to question decades of promotion by chambers of commerce and developers. It referred to a 1959 pro-growth development plan and rampant road building as "All the way to San Jose"—an allusion to freeways' decreasing neighborhood livability.[9] Interstate 5 from California was completed the year before. Previously, the main route into Oregon from California was through twisty, two-lane U.S. Route 99.

Governor Tom McCall was interviewed by Terry Drinkwater and appeared on national television January 12, 1971, for his acclaimed conservation experience. Extemporaneously he said, "Come visit us again and again. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live."[10] Soon, bumper stickers that discouraged migration to Oregon were widely seen: "The famous radioactive vapors of the Columbia River will get you!", and "Oregonians don't tan; they rust". The banner "Don't Californicate Oregon" became the symbol of James Cloutier's line of "Oregon Ungreeting Cards", which carried sentiments such as "Tom Lawson McCall, governor, on behalf of the citizens of the great state of Oregon, cordially invites you to visit... Washington or California or Idaho or Nevada or Afghanistan".[10]"
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

News always sensationalises shit like this. One tiny area might get 10" locally, where the rest of the area gets a couple inches....
View Quote

A couple of inches would be bad as well. It also has a decent sized watershed
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Everything is gonna be fine.

"The dam is gonna burst" is 2017s "he's gonna drop out any day now."
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Good pics. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#27]
not many pictures or videos from today.  I'm keeping my eye out though. 

some current numbers
They've decreased the outflow down to 55k... which is what they had it at leading up to the Emergency spillway use.
Lake level isn't dropping very fast anymore as they're only about 10k over the inflow.  Inflow is fluctuating between 35k-45k.
Current lake level is 853.83
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The one maintenance report I heard referred to in one of the press conferences mentioned a test called "Chaining". From what I could find about that process is this:

https://www.astm.org/Standards/D4580.htm
View Quote

Yeah I recall the one guy when asked about inspection practices on the spillway with a herp dee derp grin saying "we chained it"
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I first saw this back on page one, and have followed ever since. Google nor the media has covered the full story from the searches I've done. There are more in depth links to what happened here than anywhere else, they have whitewashed the whole no worry but let's move the salmon BS.
View Quote

Google is now the epitome of Fake Searches like Snopes is the epitome of Fake Verification both working hand in glove with Fake News.
imo
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is a video i dont think has been posted here.

liveleak video.

Plenty of cement truck waiting to be unloaded.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
they're currently at 855.5 ft (80% of capacity).  i predict that there will be no dangerous amount of increase in the levels as long as they have the main spillway open
View Quote
 Like everyone said here they would never make 850ft before it started to rise. Some of us can do math here, guess not in California.  They thought they could get away saying that for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Partially. The dribble set the stage. The actual flow sealed the deal.
View Quote
And that ladies and gentlemen, is the genesis of life. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And that ladies and gentlemen, is the genesis of life. 
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#35]
OK... So... Who's gonna sneak out they AR15 out there to post pics of it at the dam for page 223?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OK... So... Who's gonna sneak out they AR15 out there to post pics of it at the dam for page 223?
View Quote

I lack the balls.....js
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I lack the balls.....js
View Quote

I lack the geography...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Odd that the enviroloons have been quiet about this. Earth being washed away, silt and trash in the rivers and
flowing downstream. They normally go full retard on things like that.
View Quote

Because most of them are not enviroloons.

They're watermelons.    Green on the outside, red on the inside.   The party always comes first.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:02:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

They moved the salmon because the turbidity would have injured or killed them. There's really no reason to be critical of them for saving a big chunk of this year's salmon supply.

They screwed up the no evac warning/evac now! thing, they really should have issued a warning before the E-spill was used for the first time, but it really wasn't a close call, the sudden evac order represented an abundance of caution from the sheriff.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:09:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They moved the salmon because the turbidity would have injured or killed them. There's really no reason to be critical of them for saving a big chunk of this year's salmon supply.

They screwed up the no evac warning/evac now! thing, they really should have issued a warning before the E-spill was used for the first time, but it really wasn't a close call, the sudden evac order represented an abundance of caution from the sheriff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...I have a good friend that was involved with the moving of the 4 million Salmon fingerlings and eggs...

The dam was dumping dirt and they had to get the fingerlings out of there...It had nothing to do with the failure of the Espillway...or the warning of the populace...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:13:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you remember when he shared the hot tub with the Japanese Amb?

Ed
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#42]
So I know that they have spent 3.5 million just on rock so far. From what I understand rock is coming from quarries in Red Bluff and Yuba county.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fact, trying to find anything on YouTube blows
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Here is a video i dont think has been posted here.

liveleak video.

Plenty of cement truck waiting to be unloaded.
View Quote

If they have those trucks sitting waiting to dump their loads....Do you think anybody in management had wondered if they might be able to fit a third or even fourth pump truck in on the area they are trying to repair?

I wonder if they are rejecting any of the loads for time from batching reasons? This is a .gov project after all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It wasn't just 1 guy with a flashlight inspecting that spillway. It would have been a team.  I'd bet dollars to donuts that there's an engineer on that team furiously forwarding his emails to a private account documenting all of his objections to the report.  If those ever see the light of day it'll get real fun real quick.
View Quote

Much worse one guy with binoculars is all that inspected it , well maybe a team with binoculars. I remeber the last inspection they did not get on the spillway. Reported here somewhere in 200 pages.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#46]
At this time Oroville dam is not in danger of anything catastrophic happening in the next 6hrs. That might not be true for other dams in California.
What other locations should be on our Radar? We have already seen Interstates eating FireTrucks. More landslides coming?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would have known to move the salmon as soon as the spillway hole open up.  The dirt, debris, and possible high water flow from that would have been enough to cause major problems.  The sediment clogs pumps and hatcheries have all sorts of pumps, sprayers, nozzles...etc.  which would have been clogged.  Move the fish so they can turn it all off and everything will be fine.

I think the sheriff made a smart call on evac order after getting bullshit answers from DWR all day long.  Much easier to evac 200,000 people at 6pm than 2am.  But DWR knew they were going to use the spillway several days before, they prepped the ground for it.  They drug their feet opening up the spillway to 100,000 cfs and created the whole mess.  Had they opened it from 55,000 to 100,000 cfs just 4 hours earlier, during daylight hours, the water would have stopped flowing over the weir well before dark and before their "60 minutes until your town is flooded" tweet.  She sheriff seemed to be only one thinking "what if something doesn't go as planned".  
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Lake level 852.8 and the inflow has slowed down to 32,000.  They are very lucky that storm went south and hit socal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Interesting that a State that champions rights mandates people be fired for exercising their rights, the fix is in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Interesting that a State that champions rights mandates people be fired for exercising their rights, the fix is in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Department of Water Resources hires a contractor to work on the dam. The contractor hired was Syblon Reid.

This contractor has a strict “No social media, no photos policy” at every site they work on.

Some of the employees did not abide by their contract and posted pictures of the Oroville Dam emergency spillway online which is why five people were released.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top