Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 39
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
When looking at your Subscriptions list in "full view", there is a link to the forum that any given thread is in, for each thread in the list.  In mobile view, there isn't a link.  It's handy if I'm going through my Subscriptions and when I'm done, I can click on a forum link in my list.

Can that be added to mobile?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On my tablet and laptop the new site is as fast or faster then the old site after the first day the new site was up..
View Quote

I've experienced a noticeable drop in loading speed since the change.  Every other site loads as fast as usual.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I may or may not have reported Goatboy on the bottom of page 13. Unintentionally of course. Could the report button be possibly moved to the join date area?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ha ha! I've always wondered how the hell that worked.  I assumed you somehow tracked how far down the page we read.  Your way makes a lot more sense from a programming perspective!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's never worked the way you describe, it always puts you are the last post on the last page you were on. So if it was the first post on page2, but the thread is 4 pages long, it will return you to page 2, but the last post on page 2 that was there when you read it. If you want to return to that exact spot, set a bookmark and then you can jump into the thread exactly at that spot.

Ha ha! I've always wondered how the hell that worked.  I assumed you somehow tracked how far down the page we read.  Your way makes a lot more sense from a programming perspective!

How do you set a bookmark?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's back in your profile options!
View Quote

I havent made it all the way to end yet, so you might have answered...   I selected "highlight author", saved, logged out and then back in and author is NOT being highlighted..  

also...  having a $ icon for feedback I can understand, but a $ for online status seems strange.  I figure you are prob just seeing how it works and will change it in the future, but you did ask for feedback..... lol

All and all, it is looking MUCH better and appreciate the hard work and long hours you are putting in
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
i now have the option in "forum preferences" to highlight the OP, but it is not working.
eta...duped by 50 seconds
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Might want to tell him what your screen resolution is, too (or at least the make and model of the phone). That will help him in troubleshooting. 

My iPhone 6S+ (iOS 10.1.1) using Safari doesn't do that with the author names, but it does incorrectly word wrap longer thread titles by breaking in the middle of a word. 1920x1080 resolution, in my case. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Might want to tell him what your screen resolution is, too (or at least the make and model of the phone). That will help him in troubleshooting. 

My iPhone 6S+ (iOS 10.1.1) using Safari doesn't do that with the author names, but it does incorrectly word wrap longer thread titles by breaking in the middle of a word. 1920x1080 resolution, in my case. 

I'm not sure of the resolution, but it is a HTC M9 phone. Here is some of my chrome browser info if that helps.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not sure of the resolution, but it is a HTC M9 phone. Here is some of my chrome browser info if that helps.

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300897/Screenshot-20161205-192323-100668.JPG
View Quote

1080x1920, according to Google. Interesting. 

Here's what it looks like on mine:

Authors are fine, but there's still some work to be done with the line breaks mid-word. The text wrapping still isn't quite there yet. 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

1080x1920, according to Google. Interesting. 

Here's what it looks like on mine:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/screenshots/2016-12-05%2018.00.30.png

Authors are fine, but there's still some work to be done with the line breaks mid-word. The text wrapping still isn't quite there yet. 
View Quote

Thanks for the reply Sub. How does yours look in the avatar area?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

EXACTLY! I like it!

C'mon admin, make it happen.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks again.
View Quote
Pretty good, I think. 

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again.
Pretty good, I think. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/screenshots/2016-12-05%2018.58.16.png

Yep. Yours looks normal and spaced properly. I'm not sure what the heck is going on. I have never had a issue with spacing on any any other site I have been to online.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's never worked the way you describe, it always puts you are the last post on the last page you were on. So if it was the first post on page2, but the thread is 4 pages long, it will return you to page 2, but the last post on page 2 that was there when you read it. If you want to return to that exact spot, set a bookmark and then you can jump into the thread exactly at that spot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I clicked on a never before read thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1940849_Gun-safes-in-a-fire-such-as-the-Gatlinburg-wildfire.html&page=1&anc=63486370#i63486370

I read until about the 6th post that says "leave space around your safe and fill the gap with more sheetrock.  I've been thinking of putting a 55 gallon plastic drum on top of the safe, full of water. Figure if it melted thru, it might douse the immediate fire and prolong the time before all is consumed."

If I hit the back button and refresh the main General Discussion forum page and click on the green arrow for the Gun Safe Gatlinburg thread, it puts me at the bottom of the first page.  It should put me at the 6th post.

it's always put me back at the last post i read sometimes off 1 or 2.....if there are lots of pics it will be short 5 - 10 of my last read or viewed post........

as best i can tell it's still working that way for me
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

it's always put me back at the last post i read sometimes off 1 or 2.....if there are lots of pics it will be short 5 - 10 of my last read or viewed post........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I clicked on a never before read thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1940849_Gun-safes-in-a-fire-such-as-the-Gatlinburg-wildfire.html&page=1&anc=63486370#i63486370

I read until about the 6th post that says "leave space around your safe and fill the gap with more sheetrock.  I've been thinking of putting a 55 gallon plastic drum on top of the safe, full of water. Figure if it melted thru, it might douse the immediate fire and prolong the time before all is consumed."

If I hit the back button and refresh the main General Discussion forum page and click on the green arrow for the Gun Safe Gatlinburg thread, it puts me at the bottom of the first page.  It should put me at the 6th post.

It always put me back toothed exact post as well.

It seems to be functional on my systems.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

screen resolution isn't really that important, what matters is the viewport size

http://viewportsizes.com/mine/
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#16]

@rdak your new avatar is badass
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

screen resolution isn't really that important, what matters is the viewport size

View Quote

Says that it is 360x511.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this helps Goat.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#18]
iPhone 7 plus with latest version of iTunes. The top of the screen has a big black bar when I refresh.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Why does mobile cut off half of the screen on an iPhone?
You can literally only read half of the posts? Can't zoom out or anything
It's so annoying i consider it unusable

Also why when you switch to full site the very next click takes you back to mobile version

This is what I am talking about
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why does mobile cut off half of the screen on an iPhone?
You can literally only read half of the posts? Can't zoom out or anything
It's so annoying i consider it unusable

Also why when you switch to full site the very next click takes you back to mobile version

This is what I am talking about
http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312096/image-100767.JPG
View Quote

Same for iPad Pro 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Have you guys tried to click the USE FULL SITE button in the menu when it goes into mobile? It should keep it from switching. (Sets cookie on your phone to keep it stuck there.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It keeps randomly putting me in to Mobile mode. The old site never did that. I do not want to use Mobile mode, and I HATE when sites override my browser settings. That shit is my biggest pet peeve.

I have noticed that also.

Have you guys tried to click the USE FULL SITE button in the menu when it goes into mobile? It should keep it from switching. (Sets cookie on your phone to keep it stuck there.)

I have not had a problem with this. I clicked on the 'use full site' button the first time I got on after the rollout and haven't looked back...
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I guess it doesn't work on the pc either.  I can't approve the images in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tried to approve images in a thread on my Iphone last night and it wouldn't work.  It was like the links were just red text.

I guess it doesn't work on the pc either.  I can't approve the images in this thread.

I concur. Can't approve images either...
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#23]
In EE...can you put back the feedback % and number of feedback? Now I have to hover over the "$" to see what there feedback is.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Should the word "firearm" be linked in this topic to MidwayUSA?  I thought it was only if people put in actual product links?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Should the word "firearm" be linked in this topic to MidwayUSA?  I thought it was only if people put in actual product links?

I reported the same thing back on page 11, but @GoatBoy didn't think it was an issue on the server end. I have vague memories of that being a "feature" that non-members saw at some point in the past. It seems that the posts both of us reported were by non-members. Maybe just a glitch in the matrix?

Quoted:
Why are some words turning into links? This post by theal (posted at 7:47 pm if the link doesn't take you there) for example has Walmart linking to Brownells via avantlink and battery linking to eBay.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's in the info bar immediately in the bar below the post - User Info | Reply | Quote | Bookmark. When you click that button the system will bookmark that spot and then add an icon by the thread in the forum list similar to the near the green arrow. I haven't seen if it what it looks like now but it should be fairly obvious.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's in the info bar immediately in the bar below the post - User Info | Reply | Quote | Bookmark. When you click that button the system will bookmark that spot and then add an icon by the thread in the forum list similar to the near the green arrow. I haven't seen if it what it looks like now but it should be fairly obvious.
View Quote

i don't have a bookmark icon......firefox or iphone
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, it doesn't stay there long unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

have you set a bookmark?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Tried to [approve Images] in the night vision helmet picture thread and nothing happened.

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

have you set a bookmark?
View Quote

i don't have a bookmark  button next to user info/reply/quote......maybe i'm misunderstanding?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

i don't have a bookmark  button next to user info/reply/quote......maybe i'm misunderstanding?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

have you set a bookmark?

Oh I see... you're saying you don't have a bookmark *button* to set bookmarks in the first place.

Interesting.

I'm sure GoatBoy will see this later.

NVM... wasn't aware of that (below)
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

have you set a bookmark?

us bronze members don't get that feature
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Highlight author is not working
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's good stuff. I'm not used to developing for mobile. 

Your post encouraged me to do some reading. Thanks! I learned something tonight. 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

have you set a bookmark?

ok....i see......looking at the upgrade options all levels are described exactly the same.........is there somewhere that actually describes the differences????

edit:  hit the upgrade button under each level and a more detailed list is displayed.....
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing here? Not sure about iphone, but this is from Firefox on my desktop system.

ETA: disregard; this seems to be a Gold and above feature.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Works for me. Back in the day, I remember this being a paid-only feature. Maybe it reverted to that? 

I'm too lazy to search, but I seem to remember GoatBoy saying he'd fix/enable that for everybody (even free accounts) on the new site, so maybe its just a bug at the moment. 

But it does work for me. 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I just tried linking a pic in a post and i almost died of AIDS.

This site is damn near unusable.

Script options on the left side of the page so the every time you go to start a post you pick one as they failed to load and only materialize after the fact.

Only being able to see half of videos posted is handy.

I spend more time scrolling now than I do reading content.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Works for me. Back in the day, I remember this being a paid-only feature. Maybe it reverted to that? 

I'm too lazy to search, but I seem to remember GoatBoy saying he'd fix/enable that for everybody (even free accounts) on the new site, so maybe its just a bug at the moment. 

But it does work for me. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it does work for me. 

It's a profile setting. He may need to re-enable it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I spend more time scrolling now than I do reading content.
View Quote

Agreed. Fewer posts per page would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it does work for me. 

Its been available for free accounts for some time now.

I re enabled it and it does not work.  Its probably a bug, thought i would post a report here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I LOVED the mobile site. No avatars, no sig lines, auto line breaks for vertical/horizontal modes, it was great.

Now, the new site just looks fucking busy on my iPhone. Please bring back the old mobile site.
View Quote

I agree.  Takes up too much space and uses too much bandwidth.  On my phone I don't care about anything but the contents of the posts.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

wat
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree.  Takes up too much space and uses too much bandwidth.  On my phone I don't care about anything but the contents of the posts.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I LOVED the mobile site. No avatars, no sig lines, auto line breaks for vertical/horizontal modes, it was great.

Now, the new site just looks fucking busy on my iPhone. Please bring back the old mobile site.

Thanks

Ditto
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have not had a problem with this. I clicked on the 'use full site' button the first time I got on after the rollout and haven't looked back...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It keeps randomly putting me in to Mobile mode. The old site never did that. I do not want to use Mobile mode, and I HATE when sites override my browser settings. That shit is my biggest pet peeve.

I have noticed that also.

Even if I start on the full site..and that is not a given even thought I have the full site set as my bookmark. As soon as I click on a topic it may or may not send me to the mobile version. If it sends me to mobile and I change back to the full site it will keep asking  if I want to return to the mobile site every time I click on a thread. this happens no matter if I am on my Galaxy s7 or my ASUS tablet at home. I know GB has his hands full but just want to keep this out there because it is an issue that many of us never had beforehand . 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do not think you understand. Has nothing to do with # of posts per page.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In EE...can you put back the feedback % and number of feedback? Now I have to hover over the "$" to see what there feedback is.
View Quote

And you can't do it on iPhone at all :(
It's nice to be able to see it all the time like before.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Drop down menus are still a pita. Damn near every time I go to hit subscriptions I accidentally scroll over the drop down menu for discussions. Really annoying. Can we go back to having the full bar we used to have? Navigation on the new site is getting better but I really hate these damn drop down menus. 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#50]
If I'm on my phone, how do I switch to the mobile view instead of the full site? There used to be a mobile option in the old menus
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top