Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2016 4:00:30 PM EDT
Not much information yet.  I'm at parents house making chili (don't jack the thread) Mom and dad just left and returned after a few minutes stating that the oil light came on in their silverado (2013 w/6.2 v-8) also stated that it had 0 oil pressure. I have not had the chance to ask how far it was driven with 0 oil pressure but I can't imagine that it was very far. Dad is a retired mechanic and I'm surprised he drove it an inch with 0 pressure but he has been known for making bad decisions when mom is freaking out about something. Anyway I looked, and the drain plug is in place and clean but the filter has oil dripping from it so I assume that it wasn't tightened properly. The last service was done Thursday or Friday of last week. No idea if there is any engine damage. WWOTD?

Edit. They are back and I've had a chance to ask a few questions. The oil change was done yesterday and dad always brings his own oil and filter (Mobil one extended and K&N filter. The oil pressure never dropped below 20psi.  No knocking or valvetrain noise.  Going to check the filter when weather improves and fill it with oil.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yeah they're liable.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  They should have professional liability insurance to cover any damage done.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
they are going to deny deny deny deny deny any wrongdoing
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there oil in the engine?

I would be at that place Monday morning.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good luck getting someone to agree to that when it was a week later.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
they are going to deny deny deny deny deny any wrongdoing
View Quote

As they should.  It's been more than a week.  They have no clue what's happened to the vehicle after it left them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Check to see if they left the o ring from the old filter on when the put the new one on. Double o rings will leak all the oil out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
That engine family is notorious for oil dropping off the filter from replacing, unless you really wash it off.  They are also known for oil sending unit failures.  Did you check the oil level? If the filter is leaking, it'll be obvious when running.  If it has no oil in it, due to not putting it in, or the filter leaking, then the lube shop is on the hook.  Best advice, stop going to McDonald's to get your oil changed
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#9]
do not touch any of their work. Have the vehicle towed to a shop or the dealership and have them document everything. I would call the oil change place Monday morning. Been through this before, they paid for a brand new engine after it blew apart after the very first oil change.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Check oil level.
Add if needed.
Start truck.
Look for leaks.
Listen for unusual engine noise.
If you suspect engine damage have towed to "reputable dealer".
Document everything, pics, receipts for oil, etc.
If it was run low/out of oil due to an improperly installed/wrong oil filter the shop is liable.
If damage is suspected be sure to take a sample of oil and save the suspect filter.
Oil analysis can determine damage and extent.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
if you wish to file a claim, DO NOT TOUCH anything under the hood.   Have it towed there.  Take pictures before you go and be present when they look at the car.

Otherwise they will attempt to fix the filter issue and fill the crankcase with "engine medic" or some other snake oil and send you on your way with a book of coupons for free oil changes, so they can keep your engine topped off with "engine medic" products.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
File it on your comprehensive auto insurance and they'll sort it out through subrogation.  Likely the filter was defective, happens pretty often with crappy lube shop filters where they are plugged up and usually they blow off the threads but your Dad's prob just separated near the threads.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#13]
A week later?

They're not liable for that.

I change all my own oil now but even when I took it to a dealership for a few freebies I would always check the filter and drain plug when I got home, check the oil level, and torque on lugs if they rotated. Also have them show you the old filter and check for the gasket
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Check to see if they left the o ring from the old filter on when the put the new one on. Double o rings will leak all the oil out.
View Quote

This happens frequently at quick lube joints employing high school dropouts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good luck getting someone to agree to that when it was a week later.
View Quote

They'll pay.  They're use to screwing up.  The week thing is not a consideration.  Many problems take time to develop.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Oil pressure is taken at the filter in a lot of vehicle's .......if the engines got oil.  I wouldn't worry to much. replace filter  and check the pressure ..    I doubt   dad drove it like nascar.     oil is used more as a coolest than an lubricant
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#17]
*****DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING! First check oil level. If not registering on the dipstick: take pictures of everything. Take pics of dipstick, oil filter housing, engine compartment, floor and anywhere there is oil or an oil trail. Have the truck towed "as is" to the place that did the oil change.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
do not touch any of their work. Have the vehicle towed to a shop or the dealership and have them document everything. I would call the oil change place Monday morning. Been through this before, they paid for a brand new engine after it blew apart after the very first oil change.
View Quote

Agree.  Don't fool with it yourself.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#19]
As I read this my car is on the lift getting an oil change.

Second thoughts much?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Have it towed to the dealership and have them document the whole thing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#21]
The correct answer is to tow that bitch to a Chevy dealer, and have them document their findings when they Diagnose it. Then contact the lube shop and explain the issue and see what they say.
When I was working as an Acura tech we would get cars in from time to time that had a botched O&F from jiffy lube or some place, and they'd usually fit the bill.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They'll pay.  They're use to screwing up.  The week thing is not a consideration.  Many problems take time to develop.
View Quote

This. My old lube shop used to pay for 4 or 5 a year.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A week later?

They're not liable for that.

I change all my own oil now but even when I took it to a dealership for a few freebies I would always check the filter and drain plug when I got home, check the oil level, and torque on lugs if they rotated. Also have them show you the old filter and check for the gasket
View Quote

Lol, you think liability stops after a week?

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not much information yet.  I'm at parents house making chili (don't jack the thread) Mom and dad just left and returned after a few minutes stating that the oil light came on in their silverado (2013 w/6.2 v-8) also stated that it had 0 oil pressure. I have not had the chance to ask how far it was driven with 0 oil pressure but I can't imagine that it was very far. Dad is a retired mechanic and I'm surprised he drove it an inch with 0 pressure but he has been known for making bad decisions when mom is freaking out about something. Anyway I looked, and the drain plug is in place and clean but the filter has oil dripping from it so I assume that it wasn't tightened properly. The last service was done Thursday or Friday of last week. No idea if there is any engine damage. WWOTD?
View Quote
You have an expert witness. 

Get lots of photos, keep the old oil filter, and all the evidence you can find.  If you feel that you can prove it's their fault, file a suit in small claims court. 
It's really easy.  Just practice the presentation of your case, and get it down to a 2-3 minute presentation. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I do my own maintenance on my vehicles except the Cadillac since the dealer that I trust does the maintenance for the first 4 years and I will take over after that.  Brother in law had this happen to him on his F150 they left old seal on filter but no enigine damage.  More than likely the engine is fine unless you ran it long and hard.  You can correct everything and run an oil analysis after 500 or so miles but I am pretty sure the engine is still good.  The GM LS based engines are very well and precise built and I have torn quite a few apart in my days.  I have even seen one(LS1) ran on low oil and the engine is still running in my buddies Camaro SS.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Happen to a guy I work with, it was 18 months before he was up & running.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

A reasonable and common sense person would agree that anything can happen in a week's time unless the company admits fault or agrees to settle.  Hell, his parents could have driven home, hit a stick or tree branch and caused damage to something to cause this.  It's not necessarily automatically the lube shop's fault.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This. My old lube shop used to pay for 4 or 5 a year.
View Quote
I know a couple of people that have had engines replaced.  And several people that had close calls.  As long as I can change my own oil I'll be changing my own oil.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A reasonable and common sense person would agree that anything can happen in a week's time unless the company admits fault or agrees to settle.  Hell, his parents could have driven home, hit a stick or tree branch and caused damage to something to cause this.  It's not necessarily automatically the lube shop's fault.
View Quote

Of course they're going to figure out what happened.  If the filter was incorrect or improperly installed, or some other issue with their work it's going to be on them.  If the sump is full and the oil pump failed obviously they won't be paying.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#30]
God gave me hands to take care of my own stuff.

Prayer is when you trust others to care and be responsible for your shit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basic liability.  negligence resulted in any damage.  They eat it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol, you think liability stops after a week?
View Quote

No not at all it's case by base.

My previous career was in an auto shop.

If it was an immediate issue they would pay no questions asked, we did that a few times a year

In cases like OP described we handed it over to our legal team and never had to pay
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Happen to a guy I work with, it was 18 months before he was up & running.
View Quote

That is why you file under your compressive auto insurance and let them hash it out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As I read this my car is on the lift getting an oil change.

Second thoughts much?
View Quote

We have one of these threads a month yet you guys still go to shops.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I think botched oil change costs are built into their business model.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#36]
How many miles driven since the oil change - the work order should the mileage at the oil change?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I have new information, updated in OP. pressure never got below 20psi, no noise from engine. Oil change was done yesterday. Dad wants to look at it ourselves and hasn't decided wether to go after the shop.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#38]
As has been mentioned...they left the old O ring gasket on.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Have it towed to the dealership and have them document the whole thing.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Of course they're going to figure out what happened.  If the filter was incorrect or improperly installed, or some other issue with their work it's going to be on them.  If the sump is full and the oil pump failed obviously they won't be paying.
View Quote

Well, duh, they'll figure it out eventually.  That's not what was said or talked about.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Oil pressure is taken at the filter in a lot of vehicle's .......if the engines got oil.  I wouldn't worry to much. replace filter  and check the pressure ..    I doubt   dad drove it like nascar.     oil is used more as a coolest than an lubricant
View Quote

Wat?

Do you have a degree in WTF?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought it was bad when a oil place stripped out my oil plug hole.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#43]
could've left the old gasket stuck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

First thing I thought of.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We have one of these threads a month yet you guys still go to shops.
View Quote

Yeah I know.

Im done crawling under my car on a cold driveway, then trying to dispose of waste oil.

I go into the bay when they are done, check under the car while its still up, then pull the dipstick when the car gets down.

My biggest bitch is if they dont put disposable mats and seat covers on.

Most times i go to my friends garage. He was too busy today and i was over due. Plus i got a good discount on full syn. I rolled the dice and won.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#47]
The Wal-Mart I used to work out shelled out for at least 3 engines that I know of while I worked there, all from the same tech- left the drain plug out on two, and managed to hook a battery up backwards on the third. For some reason, he got fired after the third one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top