Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2016 5:34:36 PM EDT
How well would a gun safe protect against a wildfire like the the recent Gatlinburg wildfires that melted engine blocks and rims? What kind of fire rating on a safe would it take?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You tell us, Future Man.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
There's no such thing as a fireproof safe... only fire resistant.

Had a guy give me about a dozen guns that were inside his "fireproof" safe during a house fire.

The only one I could save was a 10/22. The rest were beyond savable. The only thing I could save from the 10/22 was the receiver. Everything else was a blob or rusted mess.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Better manufacturers use ceramic blanket instead of sheetrock.  Look also for gaskets to seal the safe too.  There is the Armory Forum with a Safe subforum.  Member a1abdj is a full time safe vendor and I'd read up on some of his posts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
leave space around your safe and fill the gap with more sheetrock.

I've been thinking of putting a 55 gallon plastic drum on top of the safe, full of water. Figure if it melted thru, it might douse the immediate fire and prolong the time before all is consumed.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Good point about defensible space.  The more isolated, the better.  Right against a cylinderblock, concrete filled corner (or poured wall) ensures that at least two sides of the safe is better protected.  BTW, I'd use wonderboard over sheetrock.  Tile cover it for more protection.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been thinking of putting a 55 gallon plastic drum on top of the safe, full of water. Figure if it melted thru, it might douse the immediate fire and prolong the time before all is consumed.
View Quote

Seems a little cartoonish, but would prob provide some extended or additional protection.  That amount of water is likely not going to put out a room/house fire at all, even in the close vacinity.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How well would a gun safe protect against a wildfire like the the recent Gatlinburg wildfires that melted engine blocks and rims? What kind of fire rating on a safe would it take?
View Quote

To be on safe side, it'd look like NORAD. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been to quite a few structure fires out in the boonies where the houses were razed to the foundation and the only thing left standing was the safe. Unfortunately wood still burns, plastic melts, metal warps even inside safes if they get hot enough for long enough.  Don't count on a run of the mill safe for extended fire protection.  I have no idea how the top of the line stuff holds up though.

Engine blocks and rims that melted were more than likely aluminum/magnesium.  Steel melts at a higher temp, but not much higher (yes I had to look it up).

eta We did the container of water on top of the safe discussion a few times before and it always ends up in a fight.  The big thing is the weight.  Water weighs 8.3 lbs/gallon.  Then you do what?  Wait for the container to melt?  Better off with sprinklers. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
If yours is on the basement you could add a fire suppression sprinkler head above it.  Most DIY people could do that.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not only the temp, but the time.

Also, if water is used in the suppression, most likely the guns get very rusted especially if it is not protected from water getting in it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seems a little cartoonish, but would prob provide some extended or additional protection.  That amount of water is likely not going to put out a room/house fire at all, even in the close vacinity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try Fire Grenades
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I doubt any safe will protect firearms against that. 

When we had wildfires around here basements safes where intact but the contents were toast.  That hot for that long turns safes into little ovens.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

You could suspend that with some monofilament and the fire will drop it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#15]
In those fires all guns would be a total loss regardless of the safe.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing that will protect your guns in a fire like that is insurance . . . and lots of it.

< < < NOT AN INSURANCE SALESMAN ! ! !

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
fire is the main reason reason I built a vault into my new house. 12" thick walls, 10" top, 4" slab for a floor. Anything super important will go into my fire rated safe that will be in the vault.

I'm protected by basement savers out here in the country, I did all I could do to try and keep my valuables secure in case of a fire. Hopefully I never have to find out if it works.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good point about defensible space.  The more isolated, the better.  Right against a cylinderblock, concrete filled corner (or poured wall) ensures that at least two sides of the safe is better protected.  BTW, I'd use wonderboard over sheetrock.  Tile cover it for more protection.
View Quote

I want to move a safe to the basement. I have poured concrete walls and a great location for a larger sized safe. My house is about 3 years old and I have never had any moisture issues in the basement. With that said, I would feel better if the safe was elevated about 6"- 1' off of the concrete floor if I ever had a "small" flooding issue. Is that valid concern or am I just being paranoid?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#19]
The safes here in Slave Lake did not fare well in the fire, neither did the ones from Fort McMurray I saw in pictures.

What appears to be the issue is that most safes with fire ratings are kind of designed to hold up for awhile until the fire can be fought, cooled and put out. During a SHTF scenario like Gatlinburg fires as well as the ones I mentioned noone is around to fight the fires effectively, so properties catch, and the safes just sit in coals cooking
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I think that the location of your safe in your house would be very important in how your guns survive in any safe.  If your safe is in the middle of a stick-build structure, even if built on a slab, the fire will be all around and last a relatively long time.  If you had your safe on a concrete slab in a cinder block garage, with only a wooden roof, then there is going to be less material to burn, and less length of time where the temperature is higher.  

I had thought about putting a safe in a garage, in a corner, where the floor is a concrete slab, the walls near are block or concrete, and then building a casing around it of block, with layers of gypsum board in between for extra fire resistance.  Definitely would make the safe hard to relocate, but would seem worth it for a permanent installation.  The door opening would be the weakness.  Install a fire sprinkler over the top (might help some depending how fast the pipes are damaged.

The key is going to be to have your guns exposed to the lowest temp possible for the least amount of time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree. Fire resistant safes are great if the fire department gets there in a timely fashion. If the entire structure burns to the ground then the safe won't make any difference.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I want to move a safe to the basement. I have poured concrete walls and a great location for a larger sized safe. My house is about 3 years old and I have never had any moisture issues in the basement. With that said, I would feel better if the safe was elevated about 6"- 1' off of the concrete floor if I ever had a "small" flooding issue. Is that valid concern or am I just being paranoid?
View Quote

After fire, water is the greatest threat to artifacts.  Do elevate it but I'd pour a concrete and rebar pad for a platform.  Do you have a sump and a sump pump?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

After fire, water is the greatest threat to artifacts.  Do elevate it but I'd pour a concrete and rebar pad for a platform.  Do you have a sump and a sump pump?
View Quote

Yes, there is sump and sump pump. I was planning on adding a water powered backup pump in the sump. I also will be adding a complete new electric pump on the shelf in case of primary failure. I might be over thinking it..
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL - that won't do shit. If there is a very small, very localized fire - maybe. But generally the heat from a fire is what will destroy the contents inside.

As others said - different saves have different ratings. A house fire where the fire department gets there in time, will probably save it, especially if it is rated for a high degre fire for an hour or whatever.

Those wild fires or fires where the whole house burns down, you end up with a standing safe and the contents cooked like in an over - the wood and plastic burnt/melted, ammo cooked off, ivory or rubber burnt, and if it gets hot enough the steel warps and weakens the steel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Might as well put a small charge inside a 55 gallon drum full of baking soda. Hang the fuse for the charge onside the drum.

Charge goes off, baking soda disperses everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#27]
the physics majors showed up

too bad they are short bus team.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I doubt any safe will protect firearms against that. 

When we had wildfires around here basements safes where intact but the contents were toast.  That hot for that long turns safes into little ovens.
View Quote

Wildfires are not like house fires.

House catches on fire, the FD is usually there within 5-10 minutes to start applying wet stuff to red stuff.
Brushfires burn your house down and let the charred remains simmer for hours/days.

I doubt there is much in the way of residential sized safes/security containers that will stand up to that. Too much heat transfer caused by long duration exposure.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Might as well put a small charge inside a 55 gallon drum full of baking soda. Hang the fuse for the charge onside the drum.

Charge goes off, baking soda disperses everywhere.
View Quote

My luck, it would create a FAE and blow up the house.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My luck, it would create a FAE and blow up the house.
View Quote

Baking soda doesn't make a good FAE.

Unless you're running vinegar through your sprinkler system I think you'll be ok.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh yes it would if put in the right place

I have put out lots of fire with a water can back in the day steam expands biggly

Might not do much on top of a safe but my point is if you know what you are doing you can put a room and contents fire out with 5 gallons
Or at least knock it down

Want to make the engine guys mad? Work on a truck company and put out their fire with a water can
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you ever cooked an egg inside a paper cup stuck in the middle of a camp fire?
It works, and quite well.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine the same principle applies... the water would do a better job at keeping the bucket from melting then actually
dousing your safe. Would be an interesting Mythbusters kinda experiment?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Have you ever cooked an egg inside a paper cup stuck in the middle of a camp fire?

I don't know for sure, but I imagine the same principle applies... the water would do a better job at keeping the bucket from melting then actually
View Quote

That is actually a very interesting theory. Sprinklers are probably the best way to go, especially if the expectation is that the neighborhood burns and the FD can't focus on my house first.

As far as insurance goes, I'm looking at this from the perspective of protecting several machineguns from total destruction for the preservation of transferrables. If the regular stuff burns up, not that big of a deal, but the others are not replaceable.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's not only the temp, but the time.

Also, if water is used in the suppression, most likely the guns get very rusted especially if it is not protected from water getting in it.
View Quote

A lot of safes use sheetrock.  It's not just for insulation, but because as it heats, it gives off water, which boils.  That keeps everything in the safe from hitting 800F, but it also means the safe is full of nice, hot steam.  Even when the guns survive metallurgically, I'd expect a lot of rust.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A lot of safes use sheetrock.  It's not just for insulation, but because as it heats, it gives off water, which boils.  That keeps everything in the safe from hitting 800F, but it also means the safe is full of nice, hot steam.  Even when the guns survive metallurgically, I'd expect a lot of rust.
View Quote

This is why all my guns are in gun socks, and my valuable paperwork is in another small safe in the safe.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I little bit of research would prevent one moving to a location that was consumed by fire.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As far as insurance goes, I'm looking at this from the perspective of protecting several machineguns from total destruction for the preservation of transferrables. If the regular stuff burns up, not that big of a deal, but the others are not replaceable.
View Quote

Store them broken down and grab the receivers along with your important papers (passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc) right before you haul ass.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I little bit of research would prevent one moving to a location that was consumed by fire.
View Quote

Heck, the Great Sand Dunes should be about the safest place there is from fire then.  Too bad it's a National Park Site.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The safes here in Slave Lake did not fare well in the fire, neither did the ones from Fort McMurray I saw in pictures.

What appears to be the issue is that most safes with fire ratings are kind of designed to hold up for awhile until the fire can be fought, cooled and put out. During a SHTF scenario like Gatlinburg fires as well as the ones I mentioned noone is around to fight the fires effectively, so properties catch, and the safes just sit in coals cooking
View Quote

The only thing any safe can really do is buy time for the fire department to arrive.  The good ones (ie not Sturdy) accomplish this by having materials (like drywall) that contain moisture.  When heated this moisture is released into the safe which is what provides the protection.  This can only last for so long though so once all of the moisture is released the safe will start to heat up internally quite rapidly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Aren't most gun safes fireproofed with gypsum? If so, you are still facing some significant issues as gypsum is fire resistant because of its moisture content, which is converted to steam, which isn't going to be very kind to your guns either.
View Quote

That is true but it is also the only practical way to fight a fire in a residential "safe" according to TSG.  Vaults and the like can rely on having 14"+ walls of concrete and other materials to keep heat out longer but moisture/steam is really the only way to manage the internal temperature of a space without having some sort of cooling device.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#42]
There was a forest fire here in CA that burned a members home. Safe had a good rating, but the contents were melted or burned. Nothing will withstand heat like that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That is actually a very interesting theory. Sprinklers are probably the best way to go, especially if the expectation is that the neighborhood burns and the FD can't focus on my house first.

View Quote

If that is the case, thick concrete walls with a vault door and a fp safe inside.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#44]
THE ONLY thing that might protect your safe in the event of a conflagration would be a domestic fire sprinkler head installed right over the safe.  (assuming there is even pressure to meet the minimum GPM if "the entire block" is on fire.. )

They are the same heads used in a commercial or residential wet pipe fire sprinkler system, but you just install it on the cold water side of your home water lines.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going with this.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I wonder if creating a room that was totally lined with 2800* ceramic blankets would help?

I've put my hand on a DIY furnace that was built for knifemaking while the steel was heating up and it was only moderately warm on the outside.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same principle works for boiling water in a big leaf or paper cup.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I have one of my safes wrapped with the ceramic wool on the outside that's rated to around that temp.
with some sheetrock then some sheetmetal  as the outer layer, I hinged it so I could still get the door open and its a bitch but its where I keep my more expensive class 3 and civil war era guns that id like to keep in as good shape as possible if I ever have to deal with a fire I figure that it may help it withstand a fire a little longer then just a regular safe .

the other safes I just keep as normal as the items in those can be replaced
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd imagine in a case like the wildfires in TN  the only way to be safe would be clear distance between your structure and things that burn ,like brush and trees.

As the others said, moreso than a 'big tank of water' ,maybe a sprinkler system for just that room could be good. I really like the vault idea.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm thinking that in a situation like that your guns are going to be puddles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top