Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope the release now doesnt have the BSOD problems Ive had for months with the win10 insider preview.  I will likely be running it in a VM inside linux for the most part though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If I wait for the system rollout we will be on Windows 87.

I guess I'll do it manually. Is nothing easy?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I wait for the system rollout we will be on Windows 87.

View Quote

I can't imagine why the WU servers would be erroring out and failing the download today, July 29th.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did it manually on a PC earlier today. No big deal. Just download either the USB or ISO version (burned to DVD) and your good to go. The download went fine, the second time around, on my slow poke DSL connection. First time the media update program crashed at verifying the download.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I installed Win 10 Pro 64 bit on top of my current Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit.  Everything installed fine, but for some reason I can't get Win 10 to activate.  I get the following error message when I try:  Error code: 0xC004C003  I looked it up on Google and it just says that it means that they key is invalid or invalid for the version of Win 10 I installed.  My Win 7 is a legit copy.  Anyone have the same problem?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I installed Win 10 Pro 64 bit on top of my current Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit.  Everything installed fine, but for some reason I can't get Win 10 to activate.  I get the following error message when I try:  Error code: 0xC004C003  I looked it up on Google and it just says that it means that they key is invalid or invalid for the version of Win 10 I installed.  My Win 7 is a legit copy.  Anyone have the same problem?

View Quote

Activation servers are PEGGED today. Give it a while.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't have to put in my product key at all, my computer just installed the upgrade automatically.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you guys downloading the 32 or 64 bit?
This machine only has 4GB. I know with 64Bit you can access more memory. It has 64Bit Windows 8 on it currently
So what would you guys go with 64 or 32
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have more than 3GB RAM, you need x64, period.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. get x64 also leaves you the ability to add more memory

Welp it's making my ISO now. I think I'll update over the weekend... give those servers a chance to settle down

ETA:
Last question
I downloaded the ISO and going to burn it to a DVD.
If I go this route is it going to ask me for my Product Key since Win8 came preloaded and I'm guessing has the key in the BIOS?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
My dam IT department didn't tell me about any of this!

I may need to buy them more beer and ammo
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My dam IT department didn't tell me about any of this!

I may need to buy them more beer and ammo
View Quote

Question 1: Is all your shit currently working?

If yes: LEAVE IT ALONE.
If no: Sorry, who is this again?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. get x64 also leaves you the ability to add more memory

Welp it's making my ISO now. I think I'll update over the weekend... give those servers a chance to settle down

ETA:
Last question
If I go this route is it going to ask me for my Product Key since Win8 came preloaded and I'm guessing has the key in the BIOS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
Last question

It could, or on a sticker on the case somewhere. Download this and run it, it will show you all your installed keys.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Windows 10 will not shut down/restart correctly for me. It just sits on the restarting/shut down screen until I do a hard reset.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay, I'm confused.

I already installed Win 10 this morning from the automatic download. But I want to burn a copy to DVD as a backup. But the page in the OP just has the "Creation Tool" (which is an 18.7MB file) and not the whole file.

Where is the ISO version? Do I have to install and run the Tool to get to the ISO?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Okay, I'm confused.

I already installed Win 10 this morning from the automatic download. But I want to burn a copy to DVD as a backup. But the page in the OP just has the "Creation Tool" (which is an 18.7MB file) and not the whole file.

Where is the ISO version?
View Quote

Run the tool. It lets you do the download.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It could, or on a sticker on the case somewhere. Download this and run it, it will show you all your installed keys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
Last question

Thanks
Right now I'm doing some system updates to make sure it has the latest drivers.
Probably will try to update tomorrow or this weekend
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I am surprised how many people are jumping on board this early.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not on my main machine...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Put it on my main machine immediately this morning and it has been running flawlessly since.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#22]
On windows 10 now, no complaints.

System: HP Envy w/12GB of memory, i7-5500U processor with a hybrid SSD/HHD 1TB drive.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I just found one anomaly.
If I have a USB external HDD plugged in the computer doesn't see it on power-up or reboot unless I unplug it and plug it back in again after the boot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here's a look at win 10
https://youtu.be/EDGiXqU0MfE

The take away is that they finally fixed the User Interface.  8 and 8.1 are text book bad UI.  10 looks way better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just built a new computer with Windows 8.1, and I'm just getting used to that system's quirks. I don't need yet another learning curve.

My Windows 7 and 8.1 machines work just fine. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Besides that, Windows 10 would be a downgrade for me because it doesn't support Media Center Edition.

Finally, I'm suspicious about Microsoft's motives in flogging this new system so hard. If it's so good for them, it must be equally bad for me. The rivalry between the consumer and the supplier is a zero-sum game. Especially the way that Microsoft has always run its business.

Here's a look at win 10
https://youtu.be/EDGiXqU0MfE

The take away is that they finally fixed the User Interface.  8 and 8.1 are text book bad UI.  10 looks way better.

Looks like a smart phone....... I want my computer to be a computer, not a smart phone.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, even though I'm running 8.1 Enterprise (and I found a 10 Enterprise key for my organization in the Volume License Center), I went ahead and downloaded the 10 Pro ISO, since that's all that's available at the moment (unless you grab a 10 Enterprise eval copy).

I can always use a Win 8.1 Pro key, if I need to. I honestly don't need Enterprise (Pro is fine on this workstation), so there's no sense in waiting until Saturday for Enterprise to become available. I don't need it anyway.

I just upgraded my SSD boot drive. It's an 80GB Intel that's been in there for 5 years. I replaced with the old Intel 120GB I pulled out of my MacBook Pro. This serves two purposes - it gives me some much needed room, and it makes for a handy backup if the shit hits the fan.

I took a system image, swapped the drive, booted off an 8.1 install DVD, and restored it. Easy peasy. I then extended the volume in the Disk Management MMC, and voila! Upgraded drive.

I'm not going to bother trying to upgrade off a burned DVD. I'll just mount the ISO, and see if that works.

Wish me luck.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand...it doesn't like any of my volume license keys. Figures.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I might have to "downgrade" to 8.1 Pro first. Wouldn't hurt to try. Like I said, I use exactly zero of the Enterprise features on this workstation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well, I just found one anomaly.If I have a USB external HDD plugged in the computer doesn't see it on power-up or reboot unless I unplug it and plug it back in again after the boot.
View Quote

And so it begins.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#29]
whoo!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I see the  folders $Windows.~WS at 5.79 Gigs  $WINDOWS.~BT in the root of C: created at 7:30 this morning. I wonder what finally triggers them?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Another issue to be concerned about with Windows 10, WiFi Sense. This one is potentially dangerous in that it potentially shares your WiFi password with everyone in your contact list. Supposedly it can be disabled.

Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts

Windows 10 Wi-Fi Sense Feature May Be A Security Risk: Here’s How To Disable It

View Quote

It allows people on your contact list to log onto your LAN, but it doesn't reveal your password per se. They don't have your password so they can't make changes to your network.

Handy for friends or business acquaintances that come to your home/office.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well, even though I'm running 8.1 Enterprise (and I found a 10 Enterprise key for my organization in the Volume License Center), I went ahead and downloaded the 10 Pro ISO, since that's all that's available at the moment (unless you grab a 10 Enterprise eval copy).

I can always use a Win 8.1 Pro key, if I need to. I honestly don't need Enterprise (Pro is fine on this workstation), so there's no sense in waiting until Saturday for Enterprise to become available. I don't need it anyway.

I just upgraded my SSD boot drive. It's an 80GB Intel that's been in there for 5 years. I replaced with the old Intel 120GB I pulled out of my MacBook Pro. This serves two purposes - it gives me some much needed room, and it makes for a handy backup if the shit hits the fan.

I took a system image, swapped the drive, booted off an 8.1 install DVD, and restored it. Easy peasy. I then extended the volume in the Disk Management MMC, and voila! Upgraded drive.

I'm not going to bother trying to upgrade off a burned DVD. I'll just mount the ISO, and see if that works.

Wish me luck.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand...it doesn't like any of my volume license keys. Figures.
View Quote
It did not like my windows 7 home oem key either. I just skipped past it. There were two screens asking for keys during install.

It is running on my laptop now. Don't think it's activated yet, but its fully running.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#33]
So

For everyone who's on the fence, I found this.

If you've upgraded and changed your mind go to

Settings

Update & Security

Recovery

There you'll have a month after you upgrade to roll back to your previous Windows version, 7 in my case.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So

For everyone who's on the fence, I found this.

If you've upgraded and changed your mind go to

Settings

Update & Security

Recovery

There you'll have a month after you upgrade to roll back to your previous Windows version, 7 in my case.
View Quote

That's good to know.As soon as this Win8 laptop gets done installing these updates. I'm going to install 10
The way it's taking its time with the updates. I may kick the install off and let it do it while im sleep
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why in the blue fuck did they even add something like that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another issue to be concerned about with Windows 10, WiFi Sense. This one is potentially dangerous in that it potentially shares your WiFi password with everyone in your contact list. Supposedly it can be disabled.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/wi-fi-sense-in-windows-10-yes-it-shares-your-passkeys-no-you-shouldnt-be-scared/
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I just got done setting up Windows 10 Pro on my Lenvo Yoga that had Win8.1. The laptop was a fresh install so I just did the upgrade and keep apps.
So far I have to say. I'm impressed. Nothing seems broke at the moment. What's even more weird is I had an app that would not install under Windows 8. Just for the heck of it I tried installing it under Win10 and it installed and works

Maybe a tad slower at start up but after it starts up it's pretty quick. Touch screen works. The stylus works. Need to install photoshop on it and a few other things
Like the UI over Windows 8.

Can you ask Cortana things via a mic like siri or do I have to type it. I'll need to play with it more but I'm surprised it went flawless.

I'll fire up VirtualBox later and try my VMs
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know why anybody would ever use a 32 bit os anymore. The only reason I can think why you would want to is if you have some proprietary software that refuses to play nice with the 64 but version. I've never had a single compatibility issue ever myself though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

No idea. Seems like a serous security risk on top of being a stupid idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No idea. Seems like a serous security risk on top of being a stupid idea.

Its Microsoft
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#39]
is anyone else just stuck at the "windows 10 setup" window. Its been sitting like this for atleast 6 hours, I finally closed it and it said "setup is cleaning up before it closes," and then it just stays there. Any pro tips?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am on it now. I did a fresh install. Runs faster than 7, and its a lot better than 8. At least in my opinion.

No issues yet.
View Quote

Interesting. I ordered a laptop with 7 because I didn't want the 8 bull shit. Might wipe it and try 10.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
is anyone else just stuck at the "windows 10 setup" window. Its been sitting like this for atleast 6 hours, I finally closed it and it said "setup is cleaning up before it closes," and then it just stays there. Any pro tips?
View Quote

May just want to let it sit. While upgrading an older PC yesterday it sat for what seemed like a long time (at least an hour) at "Checking for updates".  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It allows people on your contact list to log onto your LAN, but it doesn't reveal your password per se. They don't have your password so they can't make changes to your network.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may seem to some to be harmless, but the fact remains the Wi-Fi Sense defaults to being active after the upgrade/install of Windows 10. Wi-Fi Sense, even though its encrypted (so they claim in the FAQ), and yes one has to tick a check box on the WiFi password entry to share it, is sending your/the WiFi network password(s) to a remote Microsoft server and from there is shared (with the aid of location services) with your 'Facebook friends, mutual Skype contacts, or mutual Outlook.com contacts". While others may not "see" the actual password the point is it is still being sent off one's local PC to others. I don't recall seeing anything indicating to the user this was happening during the upgrade I performed on one test bed PC yesterday. It is a potential security risk for businesses and individuals, remote as it may be, in this day and age of corporate network and servers being hacked.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Installed it on two laptops.  Slower to boot than 8.1, but I really like the new interface.  I got by without the start button in 8.1, but it is nice to have it back.     For now, I'd say Microsoft has a winner.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

ok i hvae it running on my lenovo edge 15 laptop...

few bugs...

veriface facial recognition software has just disappeared... gone. lots of lenovo customers with the same issue

realtek audio has an issue once a bluetooth headset is attached with all on board audio devices being gone when the headset is disconnected. logout/login fixes that.

boot time is SLLLOOOOOOOWWWW. it is easily 3-5min longer than my initial boot with 8.1.

WiFi adapter power off settings reset and have a very short power off timer, like 1-2 min. frequent wifi disconnects until i disabled the standby mode on them.

i have to say i am not a fan of the new start button. it was nice to have the option of an app list or going to the metro screen to see them. it appears the metro interface is 100% dead now. <or i haven't found a way to get to it yet.

All my apps do appear to work fine the "EDGE" app is neat <but i suspect i will stay with chrome>.

this is going to have to grow on me for a few days. right now i'd say i prefer 8.1

my desktop PC began the process but lost connection and the install tool hung. now it refuse to start and i can't remove the temp files as they are locked by the tool. wen through and killed every process running and it still won't clear even after several reboots. <right now that might be a blessing>
View Quote
I haven't checked if my alienware facial recognition thing still exists... personally I hated it and don't care if it's gone.

Haven't noticed anything weird with the wireless.

The Edge web browser is a phone/tablet browser devoid of much of the functionality you would expect in a real browser.  Try right clicking a link... You'll be staying with chrome.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ETA:
Last question
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
Last question

I downloaded the ISO last night and it asked for my product key. But it wouldn't accept my OEM product key and kept telling me it was invalid. From what I read online I was not the only one to have this problem and as of yet, there is no fix. M$ says the only way to fix it is to buy a copy of Windows 7. Which is bullshit especially for my case since I bought the copy of Windows 7 I tried to upgrade when I built my rig a few years ago. As of now, I'm sticking with Windows 7.

If you want to try it there should be a sticker somewhere on your case that has the product key.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

buy a mac?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I downloaded the ISO last night and it asked for my product key. But it wouldn't accept my OEM product key and kept telling me it was invalid. From what I read online I was not the only one to have this problem and as of yet, there is no fix. M$ says the only way to fix it is to buy a copy of Windows 7. Which is bullshit especially for my case since I bought the copy of Windows 7 I tried to upgrade when I built my rig a few years ago. As of now, I'm sticking with Windows 7.

If you want to try it there should be a sticker somewhere on your case that has the product key.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
Last question

My key was in the BIOS. I got it saved but it never did ask me for it. I installed it on a Lenvo Yoga that had Win 8.1 Pro. Laptop had sat in my bag for a couple of months without use because I didn't like Win8 on it and just continued to use my Win 7 laptop. I did the windows update for the Lenvo and also did the Lenvo updates before installing Win 10 on it. Also did the BIOS update from Lenvo. I read the notes and it said to make it compatible with Windows 10
I like the Win 10 start button and interface and it also installed and ran some software that I had tried to run on Win 8 that wouldn't install.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top