Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Are there any themes besides the flat colors?

That's one thing I just can't get used to on my wife's 8.1 laptop.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I clicked on the "lets get started" link and it popped up saying this should take 10 seconds.

That was 22 minutes ago and all I have is "Working on it"

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I clicked on the "lets get started" link and it popped up saying this should take 10 seconds.

That was 22 minutes ago and all I have is "Working on it"

View Quote

Maybe check windows update.

I forced mine with the wuauclt.exe /updatenow command, and it failed until I went and installed some update first.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ok i hvae it running on my lenovo edge 15 laptop...

few bugs...

veriface facial recognition software has just disappeared... gone. lots of lenovo customers with the same issue

realtek audio has an issue once a bluetooth headset is attached with all on board audio devices being gone when the headset is disconnected. logout/login fixes that.

boot time is SLLLOOOOOOOWWWW. it is easily 3-5min longer than my initial boot with 8.1.

WiFi adapter power off settings reset and have a very short power off timer, like 1-2 min. frequent wifi disconnects until i disabled the standby mode on them.

i have to say i am not a fan of the new start button. it was nice to have the option of an app list or going to the metro screen to see them. it appears the metro interface is 100% dead now. <or i haven't found a way to get to it yet.

All my apps do appear to work fine the "EDGE" app is neat <but i suspect i will stay with chrome>.

this is going to have to grow on me for a few days. right now i'd say i prefer 8.1

my desktop PC began the process but lost connection and the install tool hung. now it refuse to start and i can't remove the temp files as they are locked by the tool. wen through and killed every process running and it still won't clear even after several reboots. <right now that might be a blessing>
View Quote

http://www.avoiderrors.net/enable-metro-ui-windows-10/
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone who does that is retarded Go forth and download that shit.
View Quote

My wife did that by accident.  The reminder/request to DL it kept popping up and she clicked on it.  What awfulness is in store for her desktop?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My wife did that by accident.  The reminder/request to DL it kept popping up and she clicked on it.  What awfulness is in store for her desktop?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who does that is retarded Go forth and download that shit.

This thread is full of anecdotal evidence, but I'd say if her desktop is pretty standard, she'll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just got done setting up Windows 10 Pro on my Lenvo Yoga that had Win8.1. The laptop was a fresh install so I just did the upgrade and keep apps.

So far I have to say. I'm impressed. Nothing seems broke at the moment. What's even more weird is I had an app that would not install under Windows 8. Just for the heck of it I tried installing it under Win10 and it installed and works

Maybe a tad slower at start up but after it starts up it's pretty quick. Touch screen works. The stylus works. Need to install photoshop on it and a few other things

Like the UI over Windows 8.

Can you ask Cortana things via a mic like siri or do I have to type it. I'll need to play with it more but I'm surprised it went flawless.

I'll fire up VirtualBox later and try my VMs
View Quote
Which Yoga do you have?

I have the 14 inch and dont have a stylus. I have been looking for one. I dont think they made one for mine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
it was defaulted to off on mine when i checked it. it is also not sending your password across but an alias iirc. you also have the option of disabling that for the specific apps or completely turning it off. it must be enabled manually as it is NOT on by default.

as far as corporate users go, that will be an easy feature to turn off
View Quote

By defaulting to on I talking about the options listed in the following graphic (edit: not my graphic) which is how it looked on my PC yesterday after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

Yes it can be disabled for specific apps, the point is that WiFi Sense should be off to begin with and the user should be able to enable the "feature" if they want it before they tick the enable button on each wireless entry. Microsoft, if WiFi Sense (the graphic above) is defaulting to being active then Microsoft has chosen to do so for what ever reason. Not everyone is an IT geek and will understand what is happening with WiFi Sense and may enable the option without understanding what WiFi Sense is doing. Again, some may not see this as a big deal, others may. Not everyone will be comfortable with their wifi password being sent, even encrypted, outside of their local network or their local WiFi connection.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I finally got it set up I think.

Favorites are gone...WTF ???

NVM, found it...

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which Yoga do you have?   I have the 14 inch and dont have a stylus. I have been looking for one. I dont think they made one for mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got done setting up Windows 10 Pro on my Lenvo Yoga that had Win8.1. The laptop was a fresh install so I just did the upgrade and keep apps.
So far I have to say. I'm impressed. Nothing seems broke at the moment. What's even more weird is I had an app that would not install under Windows 8. Just for the heck of it I tried installing it under Win10 and it installed and works

Maybe a tad slower at start up but after it starts up it's pretty quick. Touch screen works. The stylus works. Need to install photoshop on it and a few other things

Can you ask Cortana things via a mic like siri or do I have to type it. I'll need to play with it more but I'm surprised it went flawless.

Which Yoga do you have?   I have the 14 inch and dont have a stylus. I have been looking for one. I dont think they made one for mine.

12.5" Ultrabook
http://www.pcworld.com/product/1426292/lenovo-thinkpad-s1-yoga-20cd00bxus-ultrabook-tablet.html
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

12.5" Ultrabook

http://www.pcworld.com/product/1426292/lenovo-thinkpad-s1-yoga-20cd00bxus-ultrabook-tablet.html
Of course a Thinkpad model. Damnit!!!

I have the Lenovo Yoga 3 14 inch, with the dedicated graphics card.

How do you like it?

I love mine. Im a bigger guy so the extra weight doesnt matter. This thing is a workhorse.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#12]
No real complaints. It would have been nice if they had included an Ethernet port on it. 8GB would have been nice but it runs photoshop like a champ so I can't complain there too much. I thought Win10 would have bogged it down but it didn't Portable, like the tablet & tent modes Backlit keyboard, which should be standard on all laptops imo
Loaded up my virtual machine and it worked perfect.
The screen is matte if you like that sort of thing. May HP laptop has a glossy screen.
I'll probably wind up making a clone image of the hard drive and eventually stick a SSD in it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

my install was on home and it was all defaulted to off. and yes that pic is what i was talking about also. wonder if that is a default difference in pro and home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it was defaulted to off on mine when i checked it. it is also not sending your password across but an alias iirc. you also have the option of disabling that for the specific apps or completely turning it off. it must be enabled manually as it is NOT on by default.

as far as corporate users go, that will be an easy feature to turn off

By defaulting to on I talking about the options listed in the following graphic (edit: not my graphic) which is how it looked on my PC yesterday after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/sites/idigitaltimes.com/files/styles/image_embed/public/2015/07/28/windows-10-wi-fi-sense-feature-may-be-security-risk-heres-how-disable-it.jpg?itok=g8q1fJ9j

Yes it can be disabled for specific apps, the point is that WiFi Sense should be off to begin with and the user should be able to enable the "feature" if they want it before they tick the enable button on each wireless entry. Microsoft, if WiFi Sense (the graphic above) is defaulting to being active then Microsoft has chosen to do so for what ever reason. Not everyone is an IT geek and will understand what is happening with WiFi Sense and may enable the option without understanding what WiFi Sense is doing. Again, some may not see this as a big deal, others may. Not everyone will be comfortable with their wifi password being sent, even encrypted, outside of their local network or their local WiFi connection.

my install was on home and it was all defaulted to off. and yes that pic is what i was talking about also. wonder if that is a default difference in pro and home.

Somebody not clicking the customize option during setup most likely.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I cant update my main laptop because it stopped receiving updates.  
View Quote

So did my desktop...............

"Service registration is missing or corrupt". Run a MS fix program, "fixes" it, same problem.

Updates started failing mid July while I was on vacation. By the time I figured it out the Restore Point that would have fixed it was on a LaCie external drive that conveniently picked that time to crash.

I was thinking about going the ISO route but I may just keep trying to fix it and stay with 7 for now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
mine was a default install
View Quote

I'll cop to not really paying attention to the install process. I did notice WiFi Sense in the list at the point where IE and error reporting preferences would have been configured in a Win7 install.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No real complaints. It would have been nice if they had included an Ethernet port on it. 8GB would have been nice but it runs photoshop like a champ so I can't complain there too much. I thought Win10 would have bogged it down but it didn't Portable, like the tablet & tent modes Backlit keyboard, which should be standard on all laptops imo

The screen is matte if you like that sort of thing. May HP laptop has a glossy screen.

I'll probably wind up making a clone image of the hard drive and eventually stick a SSD in it.
View Quote
Do it.
I bought a refurbed 14inch Thinkpad (not the Lenovo branded), it had a hybrid drive in it. I liked everything about it...

Except the dang back cover cut off switch. I had to take the back off and tape the sucker down.

I figured I shouldnt pay money for something I had to mod to work.

I returned it and bought the one I have now.

Its smoking fast.

Runs Photoshop like a dream. Runs Premier Pro like it is nothing. I can render an hour long movie with effects in less than 5 minutes.

Worth every penny.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
another issue... none of my steam content works.
View Quote

You have to run it on 'borderless' mode

Just go to the launch options on your games and type in -ne.

It fixed it for me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
do you know what it does without you knowing?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure if rhetorical or contradictory.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get both!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Font in Arf changed slightly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:14:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Here goes nothing...  

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Still waiting
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does anyone regret upgrading from Windows 7?

I've been a long time user of W7 and love it, never have any issues. I'm worried that I'm going to upgrade and some of my programs won't run or it will suck
View Quote

Not yet. Also a 7 fan and will be upgrading 3 other laptops with 10. Very impressed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I will be wearing this helmet whenever talking to Cortana.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Aaaaagh. Stupid upgrade.

Keeps getting a BSOD. Can't do anything.

igdkmd64.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Just finished the install and loving it already
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:18:48 AM EDT
[#34]
"To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device.  Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more.”

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:57:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device.  Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more.”

View Quote

Any way to kill the bitch?  lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

simple.  Do nothing.  It's opt in.  Off by default.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#38]
This may have been mentioned already but for those who used XP Mode on Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions, Windows 10 doesn't carry that over post upgrade from Windows 7. One, if they still need to use "XP Mode" may have to use a virtual machine like the free Virtual Box from Oracle or find another way to run their XP software/program(s) under Windows 10.

For some reason my old HP printer didn't appear under Printers post upgrade. It wasn't until I turned it on did it appear. Did a WTF happened to my printer for a second.

Edit to add: Oh and the "Get Windows 10" icon is back after disappearing yesterday for what ever reason. The upgrade is being downloaded to the folders "$Windows.~WS" and "$WINDOWS.~BT" on the root of the "C:\" drive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Painless, frustration free download/install. Works fine.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Downloaded, sat through an hour of install shit, then got an error during 1st boot and it kicked back to my latest backup...

How do I get it to retry without downloading again?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do it. I bought a refurbed 14inch Thinkpad (not the Lenovo branded), it had a hybrid drive in it. I liked everything about it...
Except the dang back cover cut off switch. I had to take the back off and tape the sucker down.

Its smoking fast.
Runs Photoshop like a dream. Runs Premier Pro like it is nothing. I can render an hour long movie with effects in less than 5 minutes.
Worth every penny.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do it. I bought a refurbed 14inch Thinkpad (not the Lenovo branded), it had a hybrid drive in it. I liked everything about it...

Its smoking fast.
Worth every penny.

I need to go back through this thread and find the link to the thread about SSD to see what people are recommending.
Get this HDD cloned after I get it setup with all the software I want installed and running.

ETA:Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD drive is ordered and on the way
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Well after 6-7 BSOD, most of which happened while windows was trying to install video drivers after it booted up it's running pretty solid.

I can't stand the new font in Chrome though.  Hurts my eyes

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#43]
This may have already been mentioned but it appears that the roll back to the prior version of windows is capped at 30 days per the following link.

Change your mind about Windows 10? Here's how you can roll back
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-how-to-roll-back/

I also noticed that the reason I lost disc space (others report gaining it) was because like with past updates Microsoft keeps the old OS in a renamed folder called "Windows.old" on the root of the "C:\" drive. In my case, I lost about 25GB on a 320GB drive.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#44]
How long is the line? I've been waiting 2 weeks for the download.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Just updated my HP G Series laptop and so far so good. Installation took some time but it went smooth and everything is working fine. Will report back if I discover any bugs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Had to uninstall AVG and disable my wireless to get it to install without erroring out 6 fucking times....

But I like it so far, a couple tweaks and I should like it just fine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I will be wearing this helmet whenever talking to Cortana.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140118062038/halo/images/e/e5/Halo-3-4e2609bb651eb.jpg

View Quote

Jicama.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How long is the line? I've been waiting 2 weeks for the download.
View Quote

Just go to Microsoft and download it, no need to wait around for a notification.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I had to uninstall it, I couldn't get my second monitor to work.  I uninstalled my display adapter drivers which was the suggestion in there help forum and rebooted and nothing.  Unplugged my monitor and rebooted, nothing.  I tried to just use my larger monitor, nothing.  It's as if my hdmi port didn't exist.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Where da fuk did the snipping tool go? It was always right there when I needed it with Win 7!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top