Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Read the article. Just bought a vehicle last month.

Car dealers are still scummy, shifty con men.

"How much is the car?"
-Well.......how much can you afford?
"That's not the question. How much is the car."
-Well, how much monthly payment can you afford?
"HOW MUCH IS THE FUCKING CAR?"
-Well, shoot me a number, and I can talk to the sales manager.

Four percent profit. Please.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck dealers, they've been criminally corrupt for 75 years and if they're suffering I delight in their agony.

However, nothing has changed significantly except consumers are better equipped. The dealerships are still slime balls, colluding and trying their best to fuck people in any way they can (if not the direct price, then by financing, trade-ins, etc).

FUCK. DEALERS.

That business model needs to die, and the people associated with it need to be selling condoms to the Liberians.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are probably more honest people in the illegal drug business than in auto sales.
View Quote

the price is a lot higher when you have dissatisfied clientele  in that business
if not out right violence , funny dopers are very much into customer reviews
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
When an industry as a whole has worked hard to earn a reputation of deceit and screwing over customers with out them finding out they deserve everything bt of poor PR and public perception they get.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fuck stealerships. They deserve to lose money and get fucked!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know where I think car dealers stand on the 'Ron White microphone stand' totem pole?
Yeah.....
No sympathy.

Fuck stealerships. They deserve to lose money and get fucked!!!

LOL

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
would GD be happier if pricing was just MSRP minus applicable rebates (if any) and if you didnt like it, gtfo?  you know, the way it is at pretty much every other retailer...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck dealers and their SOB story article...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Most people spend more money on groceries then they do on their car.

You never hear people trying to negotiate with the grocery store clerk.

You never hear people claiming a grocery store is ripping them off.

Grocery stores generally have a higher margin and thus more room to negotiate than a car dealer does.

People are just stupid ..... that is all.

NO I do not work for a car dealer, so fuck anyone  for thinking I do!!!!          
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Grocery stores generally have a higher margin and thus more room to negotiate than a car dealer does.

View Quote

You obviously haven't seen a Whole Foods thread on here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's really an asinine comparison, for about 20 reasons that should have been obvious to you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Auto dealers have earned the reputation they have. On the other hand Arfcom likes capitalism - but not too much capitalism.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I hate salesmen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's really an asinine comparison, for about 20 reasons that should have been obvious to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go ahead, we'll wait.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hate salesmen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Did one kick your puppy?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Car dealers are the scum of Earth! Prove me wrong!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

How? Because some fool allowed themselves to pay more for a car by not doing any research and taking whatever options and interest rate the F&I guy tossed their way?

No one has ever explained how dealers actually fuck people. The people fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never bought a new car from a dealer

But I have had a dealer deliberately try to hide a major transmission leak on a "certified" used truck they had
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're joking right?

Losing a sale over $50-100 is being insanely competitive.  If it comes down to that, don't be a dick.  If the guy that just invested several hours of his life working with you provided you with a good buying experience while you were there, go back and purchase the vehicle from him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sales model needs to change and move away from the traditional good cop (sales guy), bad cop (sales manager), high pressure, wear down the consumer and don't let the leave the lot without a sale way it still is today. As soon as that changes, perceptions will change.

The biggest reason for wanting to do business that day is because the dealership doesn't want to lose your business when you go down the street and shop them and that dealership undercuts them by $50 and they lose the sale over a stupidly insignificant amount of money.  It happens daily and is honestly a shitty thing for the consumer to do.  The salesman that just spent the past several hours with you showing you different vehicles and options, etc. doesn't get paid an hourly wage.  He gets paid if you buy the car or not.

then be competitive

stop trying to justify your anti-competitive strategies by blaming the customer when your policies and prices are the cause of the lost sale.

You're joking right?

Losing a sale over $50-100 is being insanely competitive.  If it comes down to that, don't be a dick.  If the guy that just invested several hours of his life working with you provided you with a good buying experience while you were there, go back and purchase the vehicle from him.

Most folks will drive across town to save $20 on a pair of shoes or pants.

They should do the same on a car

$20 is $20, regardless of the item purchased.

Period.

Txl
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
would GD be happier if pricing was just MSRP minus applicable rebates (if any) and if you didnt like it, gtfo?  you know, the way it is at pretty much every other retailer...
View Quote

Invoice plus 3%! Car dealers need to go suck an ebola infested cock!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go open a dealership and show us all how it's done. Should the gov set pricing? To save the idiots from themselves? It's for the children.

This thread is clown shoes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I traded my 2010 Mustang GT for my 2012 Roush. They gave me 21k. I was hapoy. I owed 17k. They sold it 2 days later for 28.9k.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But I have had a dealer deliberately try to hide a major transmission leak on a "certified" used truck they had
View Quote

Now that is definitely bullshit, and I would have dragged their name through the mud and called GM/Ford/whoever had the new side of the dealership.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Now that is definitely bullshit, and I would have dragged their name through the mud and called GM/Ford/whoever had the new side of the dealership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

that also makes zero sense to hide it because the manufacturer will cover that under the CPO warranty and pay their service dept to fix it

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

that also makes zero sense to hide it because the manufacturer will cover that under the CPO warranty and pay their service dept to fix it

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless it wasn't really certified. Even if it had a warranty, dealers don't want to put the time in it until it's sold.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How? Because some fool allowed themselves to pay more for a car by not doing any research and taking whatever options and interest rate the F&I guy tossed their way?

No one has ever explained how dealers actually fuck people. The people fuck themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point is that so many dealers try to fuck everyone who walks through the door.  The buyer needs to know how much the purchase price should be compared to msrp, how much their trade should be worth, what finance rates should be, and then they have to watch for hidden add-ons, and then after that they still have to be able to decipher 27 lines of seemingly incoherent numbers that somehow add up to what you're actually paying.  I always love the horrified looks I get from salesmen when they realize I comprehend math.

What other item do you buy where you have to worry about the salesman trying to fuck you 4 or 5 different ways?  And what other item does a normal person spend more on than a new car, besides a house?  Go ahead, I'll wait.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Also, check out Dealerrater.com when choosing which dealerships to visit.  Read the reviews and ask to work with one of their highly rated salesmen before entering the dealership.  As a salesman myself, I ask all of my customers to leave reviews of my service and their experience on there.  It's a great additional tool in helping to provide yourself with a good car buying experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Truecar.com   Know what price is a good price before you even go in.

Also, check out Dealerrater.com when choosing which dealerships to visit.  Read the reviews and ask to work with one of their highly rated salesmen before entering the dealership.  As a salesman myself, I ask all of my customers to leave reviews of my service and their experience on there.  It's a great additional tool in helping to provide yourself with a good car buying experience.

AAAAHH-FUCKING-HA!!

Really? Reeeaalllllyy??

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At the end of the day, a car dealership is still a retail store and have the right to ask a retail price.  What this article points out is that if you simply do your homework and enter into the dealership with that information, you're going to walk away with a good car deal and ideally a good car buying experience.

Many dealerships nowadays operate on a volume sales strategy.  We just want to move units.
View Quote

To ask? Absolutely. They have the right to ask retail price, retail price x2, margin x4, $1, or ASK what the hell ever they want. So what?

lol
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The biggest reason for wanting to do business that day is because the dealership doesn't want to lose your business when you go down the street and shop them and that dealership undercuts them by $50 and they lose the sale over a stupidly insignificant amount of money.  It happens daily and is honestly a shitty thing for the consumer to do.  The salesman that just spent the past several hours with you showing you different vehicles and options, etc. doesn't get paid an hourly wage.  He gets paid if you buy the car or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sales model needs to change and move away from the traditional good cop (sales guy), bad cop (sales manager), high pressure, wear down the consumer and don't let the leave the lot without a sale way it still is today. As soon as that changes, perceptions will change.

No, it's not.

Your bias is showing.

You impose no obligation on the customer by doing anything. Zero. The customer does not 'owe' you the sale because you were 'super nice' to them. And all that over $50... really?

Holy shit, if there's one thing you can do, it's reinforce a Gorram stereotype.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If a dealer told me to pick any car and gave it to me for free, I'd still drive away thinking "that guy screwed me somehow."  Maybe that's an unintended consequence of buying cars before the internet age, but that's how it is for me.
View Quote

Yup.  I bought a used truck from a dealership last year that was priced fairly and he offered more for my trade than anyone else had but as soon as the deal was done I wondered what was wrong with the vehicle I'd just bought.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#30]
If you go into the new car buying process knowing that you're likely getting fucked, it will go much smoother

When I bought my truck last year I got 3 online quotes. All were about the same in price but one dealer found a way to make me eligible for another $1k rebate that the other two dealers did not want to give me. I bought from him and moved on with my life.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Or that 700 dollar wax job.

Its totally worth it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No sympathy.  They will still try to "four square" you, or throw a gorilla mat set ontop of the carpet mats and claim they were factory,
And they cant take them off.

Or that 700 dollar wax job.

Its totally worth it

Don't forget undercoating.
Your car really needs that in those cold AL months.
Or an extra $85 for Nitrogen filled tires.
Those green valve stem covers ain't cheap, yo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You do understand that most any salesmen today are not the "old guard" guys that were the ones who fucked people over...  A salesman you're most likely to encounter today is one that started and was trained under this new business model of customer satisfaction.

ETA:  I see it a lot too...  The "slimy saleman" types don't survive in dealerships anymore.  When they start affecting a dealerships CSI scores, the get the boot.
View Quote

That's bullshit.  I spent several months looking for a truck last year and nearly every dealership tried to use their 4 square to rape me without lube.  Saying you're getting this interest rate but when you do the math yourself it's actually much higher.  Trying to screw you on your trade, it was a horrible experience.  Their may be some halfway honest car salesmen out there but they are in the minority.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You know where I think car dealers stand on the 'Ron White microphone stand' totem pole?
Yeah.....
No sympathy.
View Quote

Cause and effect? Look at the whole picture.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#34]
EZ Car Dealership 101

1. Have cash or good credit. Money talks, bullshit walks.
2. Know what you want to buy. I love having informed customers that have a general idea of what they want.
3. Go to either a "no haggle" dealership or a non-chain dealership. The sleazebags are usually in chain Auto-Malls
4. BUY NEW! The mark-up is on the used lot.
5. Sales actually aren't the bad guys..... F&I does the ass-fucking.
6. If you are being an asshole at Place A, Place B-Z will know about 5 minutes after you are there. Its like a 200 mile sewing circle
7. Most of the time, the waiting is due to detail getting your car clean. You can get out faster if you tell them you do not want to wait for detail.
8. If there ain't price tags on used cars, run away from that dealership.
9. If you have a good experience, tell everyone you know. Leave reviews, recommend the actual salesman you used, etc. That fucks the bad places/salesmen
10. Ask questions and pay attention. Good sales staff will admit they don't the answer to a question, but will find out. Also ask their opinions, usually we will tell you good/bad if you simply ask.

BONUS APR 0.00% FOR 87 MONTHS
11. Sales hates long bullshit sessions too. Be straight-forward, polite, and firm for a quick & EZ experience.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#35]
If you bought a new car and didn't feel like you were getting shafted.......

You probably had no idea what you were doing.

The older I get and the more I learn, the more I hate car dealers.

I got our last vehicle during a parts/inventory shortage for 4K less than sticker.

Color and optioned the way we wanted.

I also got 2.9% financing, which the "finance officer" argued did not exist until my wife pulled the offer up on her I-phone, on the manufacturer's webpage.

"Huh, no one else has asked for that" the guy whose job it is to know these things, said.

6 oil changes thrown in to make up for the BS "doc fee" that was 4X the industry average.

I still felt unclean afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I should be able to order straight from the factory if I want.
View Quote

I should be able to order a Type 56 AKM straight from the factory if I want.... but that shit ain't happening either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The point is that so many dealers try to fuck everyone who walks through the door.  The buyer needs to know how much the purchase price should be compared to msrp, how much their trade should be worth, what finance rates should be, and then they have to watch for hidden add-ons, and then after that they still have to be able to decipher 27 lines of seemingly incoherent numbers that somehow add up to what you're actually paying.  I always love the horrified looks I get from salesmen when they realize I comprehend math.

What other item do you buy where you have to worry about the salesman trying to fuck you 4 or 5 different ways?  And what other item does a normal person spend more on than a new car, besides a house?  Go ahead, I'll wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't understand the contract. Signs it anyway.

Is $30k not worth a few hours of research?
Every phone has a calculator.

You're still blaming a dealership for the failure of the purchaser.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I got our last vehicle during a parts/inventory shortage for 4K less than sticker.

I also got 2.9% financing, which the "finance officer" argued did not exist until my wife pulled the offer up on her I-phone, on the manufacturer's webpage.

"Huh, no one else has asked for that" the guy whose job it is to know these things, said.

6 oil changes thrown in to make up for the BS "doc fee" that was 4X the industry average.

View Quote

Then why did you buy it?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Repeal the ridiculous laws which allow dealerships to exist in the first place and let the manufacturers sell directly to people.
View Quote

Be careful what you wish for.....

When I have a catalog problem with a part on a Ford product, I cannot just pick up the phone and call someone.  No, I have to send a message through their system and then wait for an answer.  Maybe I'll get one today.  Maybe I won't.  Today's demanding instant gratification customer-is-always-right customer....well I laugh at them having to deal with that type of tomorrow.  When we were sitting in our insurance meetings last year, being told of the inevitable price hike due to the new regulations, there were several people in there that were having trouble with the hope and change that they themselves voted for.  That their rates were going up in order to cover the rest of America, was lost on even the most vocal one complaining about loosing another $80-$100 a paycheck as she stated, "I thought they wouldn't be able to deny us coverage?!"  I was both extremely satisfied and saddened at the same time, them reaping what they sow.  But I digress.....

Son, we live in a world that has cars, and those cars have to be sold by men with dealerships. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Tomislav? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for reliable transportation, and you curse the service department rates . You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That dealing with the mothership, while problematic, probably saves lives. And my resistance in believing you actually know wtf you are driving, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want to deal with corporate directly because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me as the middleman, you need me as that middleman. We use words like backorder, engine codes, lumbar. We use these words as the backache of a life spent looking for something in the computer. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time (that's a lie, Go Royals!!!) nor the dedication to explain myself to a poster who gets their car fixed under the blanket of the very service that we provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way.  Really, we would, LOL.  Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a scanner, and fix a postal vehicle built on a Ford chassis. In the truck bay, I think there's a damn '76 Bronco.  It has a title too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
<snip>

Losing a sale over $50-100 is being insanely competitive. If it comes down to that, don't be a dick.  If the guy that just invested several hours of his life working with you provided you with a good buying experience while you were there, go back and purchase the vehicle from him.
View Quote

Losing a sale over $50 is sometimes based on emotion, sometimes based on playing hardball and expecting the other guy to cave.

A good buying experience should be a given.  If you can't do that as a minimum, I don't want to deal with you.

And pouting about percentages (as the original article does) is bullshit.  %40 of a couch price is less than %5 of a typical new car price, and both take about the same amount of time and effort on the part of the seller.  If the item has to be ordered then there isn't any carrying cost either.

Sorry that people are able to make informed decisions about the most expensive or second-most expensive purchases they'lll likely ever make.

But the auto sales industry has an image problem that is mostly earned.  Be different and show how you're different, and we'll do business.

I'm not going to open the used-car can of worms....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Then why did you buy it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why did you buy it?

Wife needed a good work vehicle to put a ridiculous number of error free miles on.
Me, I'm a cheap bastard.
I own a 14 year old Jeep as a backup for the work truck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

All else being equal. Same car, same interest, same options, same fees, but you bought it for $50 higher than you think you should have... $1.00 a month on a 60 month note... you're gonna lose sleep over that?

Guys, be realistic. I have bought cars, and would have paid a lot more than $50 or $100 to have a smooth transaction with a salesman that really cared about my experience and had the means to support my parts and service needs for the foreseeable future. And wasn't so damned far away.

And frankly, if you find $50 on a $35,000 vehicle to be despicable, the other dealership can have you, because you're only going to cause problems.

So I have a question for you: When someone walks into my office and says "Give me your best price", where do I need to be? Where would YOU be if you depended on things like commission to feed your family and put a roof over your head?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please explain how getting fucked is part of a "good buying experience."

All else being equal. Same car, same interest, same options, same fees, but you bought it for $50 higher than you think you should have... $1.00 a month on a 60 month note... you're gonna lose sleep over that?

Guys, be realistic. I have bought cars, and would have paid a lot more than $50 or $100 to have a smooth transaction with a salesman that really cared about my experience and had the means to support my parts and service needs for the foreseeable future. And wasn't so damned far away.

And frankly, if you find $50 on a $35,000 vehicle to be despicable, the other dealership can have you, because you're only going to cause problems.

So I have a question for you: When someone walks into my office and says "Give me your best price", where do I need to be? Where would YOU be if you depended on things like commission to feed your family and put a roof over your head?

All else being equal, you better have a damn good reason you're charging $50 more than the other guy... just for shits and giggles.
YOU might not lose sleep, but who the fuck are you to determine that nobody else should lose sleep over $1 a month? That's not even counting the fact that you rolled a $50 amount into a $1 amount by 'turning it into a payment amount'... sleazeball salesmen will be sleazeball salesmen.
I don't give a flying fuck what you would pay. You're not buying MY car, or anyone else's car. "Really cared about my experience"? Fucking serious? Are you trying to reinforce the stereotype?
Despicable? You're the one refusing to come down the $50 in the first place? If it's so NOT a bid deal at all, why not lower the price by $50? Because $50 is $50... and you know it.

Jesus, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

"How much is the car?"

View Quote

I hate a motherfucker that won't answer a simple Goddamned question. "Did you hear what the fuck I just asked you? Fucking answer it."
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I hate a motherfucker that won't answer a simple Goddamned question. "Did you hear what the fuck I just asked you? Fucking answer it."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"How much is the car?"

I stop talking to ANYONE the third time I ask them the same question without getting a straight answer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#45]
They do rip people off. A year ago I was at Kings Honda buying a 2010 RX350, and my mom wanted to trade in her '99 RX300. The salesman made us wait at a table for 30 mins before coming back to us.  He then would play this game of pretending to call wholesalers to see what they'd give for the trade in. My mom wouldn't budge with his ridiculous $2k offer. We went back and forth and he kept pretending to call fake wholesalers. Eventually it went up to $4k because my mom would just give him a blank stare, and said this is what I'm willing to pay for the rx350, and this is what I want for my trade.

Eventually we got the deal we wanted after four hours.

They ended up putting her "$2,000" RX300 on their website for $8,000.  Car salesmen are scum balls, and read you like a poker player. If you're easy pickings, they will make up their tight deals, off of your back. They're opportunists.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

"How much is the car?"

View Quote

Did this dealer not have a price sticker on the car? Why would you ask anyway? The best negotiating is done by simply telling them how much you intend to pay and that they can take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

When I have a catalog problem with a part on a Ford product, I cannot just pick up the phone and call someone.  No, I have to send a message through their system and then wait for an answer.  Maybe I'll get one today.  Maybe I won't.  Today's demanding instant gratification customer-is-always-right customer....well I laugh at them having to deal with that type of tomorrow.  When we were sitting in our insurance meetings last year, being told of the inevitable price hike due to the new regulations, there were several people in there that were having trouble with the hope and change that they themselves voted for.  That their rates were going up in order to cover the rest of America, was lost on even the most vocal one complaining about loosing another $80-$100 a paycheck as she stated, "I thought they wouldn't be able to deny us coverage?!"  I was both extremely satisfied and saddened at the same time, them reaping what they sow.  But I digress.....

Son, we live in a world that has cars, and those cars have to be sold by men with dealerships. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Tomislav? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for reliable transportation, and you curse the service department rates . You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That dealing with the mothership, while problematic, probably saves lives. And my resistance in believing you actually know wtf you are driving, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want to deal with corporate directly because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me as the middleman, you need me as that middleman. We use words like backorder, engine codes, lumbar. We use these words as the backache of a life spent looking for something in the computer. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time (that's a lie, Go Royals!!!) nor the dedication to explain myself to a poster who gets their car fixed under the blanket of the very service that we provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way.  Really, we would, LOL.  Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a scanner, and fix a postal vehicle built on a Ford chassis. In the truck bay, I think there's a damn '76 Bronco.  It has a title too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Repeal the ridiculous laws which allow dealerships to exist in the first place and let the manufacturers sell directly to people.

Apple manufactures iPhones, iPads, etc. they have their own store, and service them in store.

You can also buy their products through a reseller, but we'll call them dealerships for comparison sake.

If and when my iPhone breaks, I can go directly to the manufacturer owned Apple Store and get it fixed. Why couldn't LG or HTC follow the same business model? Manufacturers can run their own retail stores with no issues, just like car manufacturers can run their own repair centers and dealership.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I stop talking to ANYONE the third time I ask them the same question without getting a straight answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"How much is the car?"
Nailed it.
Basically. How are they supposed to understand anything else? They've got some other agenda going on other than communicating with me, so why should I communicate with them?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I want you to quote me your best price.  I'll compare it to your competitor's "best price" and see who wins.  I'll give you as many chances as you need to beat each other up and finally get to your actual "best price", and if I like it, I'll pay it.  If I don't, I won't.  Business is business.  When I'm making a sale, my price is my price, and if a potential client wants me to negotiate down, I can't do it without changing the product or service I'm selling to a cheaper version.  When we're talking cars, there is no "cheaper version" you can downgrade me to to lessen the price, which is why I want your best price up front.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Bought my wife an Accord from a five star dealer a few years back.  Even though we came in knowing what we wanted down to base engine, features and knew what we didn't want, we still got the long spiel about reliability and how awesome they are.  Kept trying to avoid it but they felt compelled to tell us.  Tried to up sell us on features we didn't want.

Then we stepped into the finance office and then the finance guy starts into the up sell on the extended warranty.  At first I thought the irony was funny, but he kept on and on to the point I told him I would buy the extended warranty for one dollar, take it or leave, and if he asked again I was going to get up and walk.  He started to say something, I stood up and he promptly shut up.

They didn't like my post sale review, but still didn't seem to get it.  
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top