Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All else being equal, you better have a damn good reason you're charging $50 more than the other guy... just for shits and giggles.
YOU might not lose sleep, but who the fuck are you to determine that nobody else should lose sleep over $1 a month? That's not even counting the fact that you rolled a $50 amount into a $1 amount by 'turning it into a payment amount'... sleazeball salesmen will be sleazeball salesmen.
I don't give a flying fuck what you would pay. You're not buying MY car, or anyone else's car. "Really cared about my experience"? Fucking serious? Are you trying to reinforce the stereotype?
Despicable? You're the one refusing to come down the $50 in the first place? If it's so NOT a bid deal at all, why not lower the price by $50? Because $50 is $50... and you know it.

Jesus, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please explain how getting fucked is part of a "good buying experience."

All else being equal. Same car, same interest, same options, same fees, but you bought it for $50 higher than you think you should have... $1.00 a month on a 60 month note... you're gonna lose sleep over that?

Guys, be realistic. I have bought cars, and would have paid a lot more than $50 or $100 to have a smooth transaction with a salesman that really cared about my experience and had the means to support my parts and service needs for the foreseeable future. And wasn't so damned far away.

And frankly, if you find $50 on a $35,000 vehicle to be despicable, the other dealership can have you, because you're only going to cause problems.

So I have a question for you: When someone walks into my office and says "Give me your best price", where do I need to be? Where would YOU be if you depended on things like commission to feed your family and put a roof over your head?

All else being equal, you better have a damn good reason you're charging $50 more than the other guy... just for shits and giggles.
YOU might not lose sleep, but who the fuck are you to determine that nobody else should lose sleep over $1 a month? That's not even counting the fact that you rolled a $50 amount into a $1 amount by 'turning it into a payment amount'... sleazeball salesmen will be sleazeball salesmen.
I don't give a flying fuck what you would pay. You're not buying MY car, or anyone else's car. "Really cared about my experience"? Fucking serious? Are you trying to reinforce the stereotype?
Despicable? You're the one refusing to come down the $50 in the first place? If it's so NOT a bid deal at all, why not lower the price by $50? Because $50 is $50... and you know it.

LOL
Y U mad tho

You're assuming I won't negotiate. If you're not a fuckin' dickbag, and I have some room, I can sharpen my pencil a little. But I don't sweat losing sales over $50 or $100. I don't need that kind of customer.

We see a lot of equipment come in for servicing that we didn't sell. Back of the line, baby. Why don't you take it to your salesman? Oh, they don't have a tech that can do the work? Not enough techs? Too far away makes road service calls too expensive? Costs too much time and fuel to trailer your stuff up to them?

Hope it was worth that $50.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
No sympathy given. I've seen firsthand the shadier side of new and used auto sales from the inside; makes my skin crawl the shit they got away with. Except for an extremely small minority they are a filthy lot of thieving, lying, swindling, drug addicted con artists. From the top to the bottom, dealerships have EARNED their piss poor reputations. The article is puffery.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I hate a motherfucker that won't answer a simple Goddamned question. "Did you hear what the fuck I just asked you? Fucking answer it."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read the article. Just bought a vehicle last month.

Car dealers are still scummy, shifty con men.

"How much is the car?"
-Well.......how much can you afford?
"That's not the question. How much is the car."
-Well, how much monthly payment can you afford?
"HOW MUCH IS THE FUCKING CAR?"
-Well, shoot me a number, and I can talk to the sales manager.

Four percent profit. Please.

I hate a motherfucker that won't answer a simple Goddamned question. "Did you hear what the fuck I just asked you? Fucking answer it."

Yeah, I could never sell cars. Too much stress, too much hard selling.

Customer: Mr. Sweptvolume, I need a price on xxxxxx"

*works up a quote*

SV: You're looking at $29,570. Tax is x, insurance is y. If you qualify for zero/zero financing, your payment will be z for however many months."

That's it. If you wanna negotiate, and have some real reason for me to come down, let's do it. Otherwise, have a nice day sir/ma'am.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They do rip people off. A year ago I was at Kings Honda buying a 2010 RX350, and my mom wanted to trade in her '99 RX300. The salesman made us wait at a table for 30 mins before coming back to us.  He then would play this game of pretending to call wholesalers to see what they'd give for the trade in. My mom wouldn't budge with his ridiculous $2k offer. We went back and forth and he kept pretending to call fake wholesalers. Eventually it went up to $4k because my mom would just give him a blank stare, and said this is what I'm willing to pay for the rx350, and this is what I want for my trade.

Eventually we got the deal we wanted after four hours.

They ended up putting her "$2,000" RX300 on their website for $8,000.  Car salesmen are scum balls, and read you like a poker player. If you're easy pickings, they will make up their tight deals, off of your back. They're opportunists.
View Quote

Damn right. They should be. They have to make a living, same as you. In your case, both parties ended up happy and all it cost you was time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't personally see much purpose in the car salesman anymore.

Do people seriously still walk into a random car dealership and say "I'm fucking clueless, I don't know if I need a Miata or a Suburban, can you help me?"

By the time I show up at a car lot, I already know exactly what I want down to the stock number, and exactly how much I'm willing to pay. Usually I've already called the internet sales manager and worked on pricing.

I'm here to get the best deal on exactly what I want. I don't need my hand held, and 87 times out of 10 I will know far more about the vehicle than some sales lackey who just read the glossy marketing slicks last week and doesn't have a clue what half the big words mean.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I want you to quote me your best price.  I'll compare it to your competitor's "best price" and see who wins.  I'll give you as many chances as you need to beat each other up and finally get to your actual "best price", and if I like it, I'll pay it.  If I don't, I won't.  Business is business.  When I'm making a sale, my price is my price, and if a potential client wants me to negotiate down, I can't do it without changing the product or service I'm selling to a cheaper version.  When we're talking cars, there is no "cheaper version" you can downgrade me to to lessen the price, which is why I want your best price up front.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I have a question for you: When someone walks into my office and says "Give me your best price", where do I need to be? Where would YOU be if you depended on things like commission to feed your family and put a roof over your head?

I want you to quote me your best price.  I'll compare it to your competitor's "best price" and see who wins.  I'll give you as many chances as you need to beat each other up and finally get to your actual "best price", and if I like it, I'll pay it.  If I don't, I won't.  Business is business.  When I'm making a sale, my price is my price, and if a potential client wants me to negotiate down, I can't do it without changing the product or service I'm selling to a cheaper version.  When we're talking cars, there is no "cheaper version" you can downgrade me to to lessen the price, which is why I want your best price up front.

Sounds good to me. The second time you bring me a competitor's quote, though, your price just went up a grand. And yes, I've made sales that way. ( they paid my last quoted price, not the +1000 price. )

And sure you can sell down. Even on cars. It's just like anything else in the world. Everyone in the world needs a 4x4, until you hand them a price on the same truck with 2 wheel drive and put them side by side.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doesn't understand the contract. Signs it anyway.

Is $30k not worth a few hours of research?
Every phone has a calculator.

You're still blaming a dealership for the failure of the purchaser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Car dealers are the scum of Earth! Prove me wrong!

How? Because some fool allowed themselves to pay more for a car by not doing any research and taking whatever options and interest rate the F&I guy tossed their way?

No one has ever explained how dealers actually fuck people. The people fuck themselves.

The point is that so many dealers try to fuck everyone who walks through the door.  The buyer needs to know how much the purchase price should be compared to msrp, how much their trade should be worth, what finance rates should be, and then they have to watch for hidden add-ons, and then after that they still have to be able to decipher 27 lines of seemingly incoherent numbers that somehow add up to what you're actually paying.  I always love the horrified looks I get from salesmen when they realize I comprehend math.

What other item do you buy where you have to worry about the salesman trying to fuck you 4 or 5 different ways?  And what other item does a normal person spend more on than a new car, besides a house?  Go ahead, I'll wait.

Sure, but the original post blamed the purchaser for being too informed and thus being the bane of the dealership.

I guess you're saying that the OP's message has no merit.

Or that it's up to each side to watch out for being snookered cause the other guy is out to snooker you.

Or something else?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do people seriously still walk into a random car dealership and say "I'm fucking clueless, I don't know if I need a Miata or a Suburban, can you help me?"

By the time I show up at a car lot, I already know exactly what I want down to the stock number, and exactly how much I'm willing to pay. Usually I've already called the internet sales manager and worked on pricing.

I'm here to get the best deal on exactly what I want. I don't need my hand held, and 87 times out of 10 I will know far more about the vehicle than some sales lackey who just read the glossy marketing slicks last week and doesn't have a clue what half the big words mean.
View Quote

That's my biggest pet peeve about car dealers, and salesman in general, if I knew as little as they (On average) seem to (Or just make stuff up) about my job, I wouldn't have it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The number of angry people in this thread tells me that yes, clueless people buy cars every day.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Worse, some people have a perfectly good suitable car, and impulse buy a new one for no particular reason.  I know several people like that and it makes my head hurt to think about it.  One has like three cars, and barely drives the one to the airport and back once a week where it sits for days while he is out of town for work.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Well shit...  this thread took off while I was at work.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds good to me. The second time you bring me a competitor's quote, though, your price just went up a grand. And yes, I've made sales that way. ( they paid my last quoted price, not the +1000 price. )

And sure you can sell down. Even on cars. It's just like anything else in the world. Everyone in the world needs a 4x4, until you hand them a price on the same truck with 2 wheel drive and put them side by side.
View Quote

At which point I know what your "best price" is, and whose price is lower.  There are a thousand car dealers here. One of you will want my business more than the rest.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<snip>

LOL
Y U mad tho

You're assuming I won't negotiate. If you're not a fuckin' dickbag, and I have some room, I can sharpen my pencil a little. But I don't sweat losing sales over ]$50 or $100. I don't need that kind of customer.

We see a lot of equipment come in for servicing that we didn't sell. Back of the line, baby. Why don't you take it to your salesman? Oh, they don't have a tech that can do the work? Not enough techs? Too far away makes road service calls too expensive? Costs too much time and fuel to trailer your stuff up to them?

View Quote

And you wonder why people don't want to deal with sleazy salesmen.  

It'll be fun when Tesla takes away your little baby cage.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sure, but the original post blamed the purchaser for being too informed and thus being the bane of the dealership.

Or that it's up to each side to watch out for being snookered cause the other guy is out to snooker you.

Or something else?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How? Because some fool allowed themselves to pay more for a car by not doing any research and taking whatever options and interest rate the F&I guy tossed their way?

No one has ever explained how dealers actually fuck people. The people fuck themselves.

The point is that so many dealers try to fuck everyone who walks through the door.  The buyer needs to know how much the purchase price should be compared to msrp, how much their trade should be worth, what finance rates should be, and then they have to watch for hidden add-ons, and then after that they still have to be able to decipher 27 lines of seemingly incoherent numbers that somehow add up to what you're actually paying.  I always love the horrified looks I get from salesmen when they realize I comprehend math.

What other item do you buy where you have to worry about the salesman trying to fuck you 4 or 5 different ways?  And what other item does a normal person spend more on than a new car, besides a house?  Go ahead, I'll wait.

Or something else?

Good point and I did go a little off topic. I love an educated customer. It's less time I have to spend explaining my product. Car dealers don't need to complain about educated buyers, they need to learn ways to use it to their advantage. I've never seen a car salesman use product comparisons, warranty comparisons, or explain the value of buying from them as opposed to the other guy. That's probably because most car dealerships are run like boiler rooms. Ugh.

My point in all this is that there are so many people complaining about getting fucked or whatever, but in the end, they're the motherfuckers that sign the contract.

Those same people come to me all the time. "You won't be making your month off of me!" and I end up pulling their heads out through the hole in their pocket where their wallet used to be and hand it back to them on a platter, because they absolutely refuse to do any work on their part.

Let's pretend for a moment that we're here to make money.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Took me 8 hours to buy my jeep, and after they had agreed verbally on the trade in value of my fj40 and it was on the lot with my acura that was also being traded.... I got $1000 less than what was agreed upon prior to having both of them parked on their lot.  Service was horrible when it leaked in the rain, they told me that their shuttle would take me to work and from there I was on my own.  First and last chrysler product I will buy new.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

LOL
Y U mad tho

You're assuming I won't negotiate. If you're not a fuckin' dickbag, and I have some room, I can sharpen my pencil a little. But I don't sweat losing sales over ]$50 or $100. I don't need that kind of customer.

I'm a sleazeball because you couldn't pony up fifty bucks when you should know that when it comes time for service, the clients who have made purchases from us are more important than you are?

And FWIW, it makes no difference what Tesla does. Not even on my radar.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Took me 8 hours to buy my jeep, and after they had agreed verbally on the trade in value of my fj40 and it was on the lot with my acura that was also being traded.... I got $1000 less than what was agreed upon prior to having both of them parked on their lot.  Service was horrible when it leaked in the rain, they told me that their shuttle would take me to work and from there I was on my own.  First and last chrysler product I will buy new.
View Quote

My experience with Chrysler mirrors yours. Won't make that mistake again. And I was even warned beforehand.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Cry me a river for the poor starving car dealers.

I have had good experiences and bad experiences with dealerships. I bought a F150 last year. After lots of internet searching-research I went to my local dealer and spent some time with a salesmen, test drove some trucks talked with him about options. I then went home and did more research came back two days later when he was working again and picked up where we left off. After two more weeks of dickering and me walking off the lot three times I finally got the salesman/manager to the price I wanted to pay and we had a deal.

TL;DR version do your homework and be very ready to say no and walk off and you can get a good deal despite the car dealerships. Buying from a position of need is never the way to handle things.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
whats funny to me is that is most areas, GD is all 'free market, it's worth what people are willing to pay, there's no such thing as price gouging, it costs what it costs.'  but when it comes to car buying, GD is saying 'fuck you, you're making more than i think you should be making.  even though i dont really know how much you're making...'

when you go to Macys for a pair of jeans, do you tell the employee 'i know you're making a xx% markup on these.  how much lower are you going to go?' Or, 'well this sale price is the price everyone gets.  what price are you doing to give meeee?'
View Quote

Those jeans, arent they the same price for everyone that walks through the door? Yea, i thought so.

That car, not so much. The difference between buyers could amount to thousands of dollars.

That's  why people feel cheated.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Repeal the ridiculous laws which allow dealerships to exist in the first place and let the manufacturers sell directly to people.
View Quote

Dealerships have coasted for a long damn time, hope they saved up their profits when it was good.  No excuse for gov backed monopoly.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Son, we live in a world that has cars, and those cars have to be sold by men with dealerships. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Tomislav? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for reliable transportation, and you curse the service department rates . You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That dealing with the mothership, while problematic, probably saves lives. And my resistance in believing you actually know wtf you are driving, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want to deal with corporate directly because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me as the middleman, you need me as that middleman. We use words like backorder, engine codes, lumbar. We use these words as the backache of a life spent looking for something in the computer. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time (that's a lie, Go Royals!!!) nor the dedication to explain myself to a poster who gets their car fixed under the blanket of the very service that we provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way.  Really, we would, LOL.  Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a scanner, and fix a postal vehicle built on a Ford chassis. In the truck bay, I think there's a damn '76 Bronco.  It has a title too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Repeal the ridiculous laws which allow dealerships to exist in the first place and let the manufacturers sell directly to people.

Son, we live in a world that has cars, and those cars have to be sold by men with dealerships. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Tomislav? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for reliable transportation, and you curse the service department rates . You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That dealing with the mothership, while problematic, probably saves lives. And my resistance in believing you actually know wtf you are driving, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want to deal with corporate directly because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me as the middleman, you need me as that middleman. We use words like backorder, engine codes, lumbar. We use these words as the backache of a life spent looking for something in the computer. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time (that's a lie, Go Royals!!!) nor the dedication to explain myself to a poster who gets their car fixed under the blanket of the very service that we provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way.  Really, we would, LOL.  Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a scanner, and fix a postal vehicle built on a Ford chassis. In the truck bay, I think there's a damn '76 Bronco.  It has a title too.

I rost hard
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:39:10 AM EDT
[#23]
The dealership atmosphere is certainly evolving, and they don't act as predatory as they once did. But as a former victim (employee) of the dealerships, who busted my ass for around one-fifth of their hourly rate (and was robbed on warranty times every day), they can all fuck off and die. No sympathy from me, neither on their new sales profit margins nor their service departments. Fuck them all. Do I sound bitter?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess we better go to bed. Takes a lot of energy to talk people out of the souls of their first born children. Shit, my boat needs both engines overhauled and my new Corvette only runs on premium.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Total BS article. 99.9% of the dealerships make most of their money not off new cars but used cars, most of which they get from an auction for pennies. I know this because I have probably been to at least 50 car auctions and have seen it first hand. I also have a few friends in the used car business that make a killing by simply going to the local auction once a week and flipping cars for huge profits. Its normal to pay 2-3k for a car and turn around and sell it for 10k. I see it happen all day long.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Total BS article. 99.9% of the dealerships make most of their money not off new cars but used cars, most of which they get from an auction for pennies. I know this because I have probably been to at least 50 car auctions and have seen it first hand. I also have a few friends in the used car business that make a killing by simply going to the local auction once a week and flipping cars for huge profits. Its normal to pay 2-3k for a car and turn around and sell it for 10k. I see it happen all day long.
View Quote

Sounds like easy money. You should go do that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Scam article.

Fact: If a car salesman is speaking, he is lying to you.

Problem is due to all this "transparency" the consumer believes they like the xxl dildo up their ass because everyone else has one up theirs as well.

The fewer people with the desire/ability to negotiate the less the dealerships will negotiate.

Dealerships are making mad cash, not 4%.

The proof I have is sitting in the garage. Unless you want to believe the dealership "lost" 15-20% on my truck, they are lying to you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm a sleazeball because you couldn't pony up fifty bucks when you should know that when it comes time for service, the clients who have made purchases from us are more important than you are?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

LOL
Y U mad tho

No, you're a sleazeball if you want to extort that $50 out of people  via the threat of shitty warranty service.  

The 'independent dealer delivering quality warranty service' is the BS line used to keep Tesla out of many markets.  

Your statements show why that is a crock.  

That is why I look forward to Elon Musk's future antics.

And also why I don't buy cars from dealerships.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hmmm?  Four percent of fifty thousand or fifty percent of fifty bucks?  -J
View Quote

This.  And you guys aren't fooling anyone - dealers make their money off the service department by charging more per hour than doctors or degreed engineers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:25:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm too lazy to find the post and quote it, but I see this shit in every thread about purchasing from someone who is generally speaking considered an asshat, and it goes like this 'GD be all free market n shit and then be like, but dis mahfukka right hurr think dat shit don't play naw and wants suhmuhfukka come up all in herr and be like boom dawg'.  I get tired of hearing about how a consumer telling a business to piss off and die makes them a commie. I am the fucking market, I am risk, shit on me and I am the invisible hand that bitch slaps you back into your place, it is not my duty to buy your shit, or not complain about your dishonest, back handed practices.  Capitalism is not the undying belief that business can do no wrong, or that if they change their ways and you still tell them to fuck off due to previous transgressions that your a communist dirt bag.  I'm free to take my dollars where I please for any reason I choose.  You want a real free market?  Then we should be able to buy a car without a fucking dealer.  If you think that without a dealer there would be no fill in the blank, you don't understand how a free market works, voids would be filled.  If you think we need laws to prevent direct sales, I don't see how you can disagree with the government mandating you buy an approved health insurance policy from an approved insurer.  Just say you're a democrat for fucks sake and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#31]
If it makes anybody feel better, I traded in a vehicle earlier this year with a frame rotted to shit. I couldn't even get an inspection sticker. The dealer heard me say "It only has 45,000 miles" and he was all over it. He just looked over the interior (spotless) and offered me a boatload on the trade in. He didn't even question the inspection sticker that expired six months earlier because I told him I didn't drive it during winter (hence the low miles) so didn't get a new one (was living on the east coast).

Rebates and negotiation dropped the price of the truck another $10,000.

I made out on that one. Sometimes you win.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:34:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I guess we better go to bed. Takes a lot of energy to talk people out of the souls of their first born children. Shit, my boat needs both engines overhauled and my new Corvette only runs on premium.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, don't get me wrong. I probably should have said "traditional car salesmen". I've had a good experience with the ISM's that I've purchased through (sometimes repeatedly).

I figured you guys would like customers like me, by the time you see me walk in your door I know what I want, I've already researched it to death, I've usually already worked out a deal with the ISM, I already know what (if any) financing I'm going to use, and I'm just there to write a check and sign some papers.

I'm not unreasonable, I recognize that they aren't there to lose money, but neither am I and that's why negotiation exists. I take up maybe an hour of your time total between the email exchange and the in person purchase, and I'm not interested in arguing (or even really chatting), just making a friendly business transaction and making optimal use of our valuable time.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 4 Corvettes in the showroom when you're ready to trade yours in

ETA:  I'll take anything in on trade from cars, boats, quads, cash, guns, and jewelery...  as long as it doesn't breathe, I'll take it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:22:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Last year I was helping my ex shop for a used car. We found a good looking one online and went to look at it. The dealership was this tiny, seedy looking place. We almost didn't even stop to look at the car. A guy with a thick Russian accent comes out to talk to us. We tell him which car we are interested in and he says he has a different one that's a much better deal (yikes!). Much to my surprise the car he shows us is in really nice shape and seemed to be a much better deal. I tried my hardest to find something wrong with it but couldn't. We agree to buy it and he prints up a sales contract for us to take to the bank. Doesn't try to make us sign right then and there. Doesn't add any bullshit charges to the total. I was blown away. A year and a half later the car is running great. Zero problems.

TL;DR: Went to a "dumpy" dealership and got a great deal with zero headache or bullshit.

I've had really horrible experiences at car dealerships and I've had really good experiences. Interestingly enough the two places I had good experiences at were small creepy looking places. My worst experiences have been at large, well known places.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:36:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Sorry, I wasn't selling cars in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, I am not your enemy.  

I created this thread because I thought this article/blog post/whatever was interesting and highlighted a lot of how dealerships operate today.  Knowing GD's disdain for "stealerships" I thought this would be a good article to share in a positive light.  I, myself, am not a scumbag, nor are a majority of people I work with.  The scumbag salesman is a dying breed, and even I say good riddance.  In this new age of buying cars, they do more harm than good, and if they're driving future business away from the dealership, that is a loss for me.  In summary, there are many good salesmen out there that want your business.  Again, check the dealerrater.com reviews before heading out to buy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:Quoted:Quoted:les model needs to change and move away from the traditional good cop (sales guy), bad cop (sales manager), high pressure, wear down the consumer and don't let the leave the lot without a sale way it still is today. As soon as that changes, perceptions will change.The biggest reason for wanting to do business that day is because the dealership doesn't want to lose your business when you go down the street and shop them and that dealership undercuts them by $50 and they lose the sale over a stupidly insignificant amount of money.  It happens daily and is honestly a shitty thing for the consumer to do.  The salesman that just spent the past several hours with you showing you different vehicles and options, etc. doesn't get paid an hourly wage.  He gets paid if you buy the car or not.then be competitivestop trying to justify your anti-competitive strategies by blaming the customer when your policies and prices are the cause of the lost sale.
And here we have the root of the issue this post was founded on.  A "your problem/my problem" disconnect.  The part in red is your problem.

It took the car buying public a long time to figure out that you're not our friends.  Now that we've figured it out and have started treating you like you've been treating us all along we're dicks?  

Sorry, I wasn't selling cars in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, I am not your enemy.  

I created this thread because I thought this article/blog post/whatever was interesting and highlighted a lot of how dealerships operate today.  Knowing GD's disdain for "stealerships" I thought this would be a good article to share in a positive light.  I, myself, am not a scumbag, nor are a majority of people I work with.  The scumbag salesman is a dying breed, and even I say good riddance.  In this new age of buying cars, they do more harm than good, and if they're driving future business away from the dealership, that is a loss for me.  In summary, there are many good salesmen out there that want your business.  Again, check the dealerrater.com reviews before heading out to buy.

Dying breed or not, there are still lots of scumbag dealers. Just recently I had the finance manager at a large dealership flat out lie to try and trick me into signing a sales contract when I had just got done telling him I wasn't buying that day.

There are some good dealers out there, but the scumbag approach is still very much alive and well.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:22:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Local BMW dealership has two i8s sitting on their lot, marked up 100K (250K pre tax, license exc.). Some dealers/cars they sure as shit are still doing VERY well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Doesn't understand anything I said.  Thinks I can't do math or read a contract.  Denies the scumbag salesman stereotype is justified while proving that it is by trying to say it's the customer's fault that the salesman wants to rape your wallet.

I especially love how you think paying extra should be expected if we want the privilege of access to a "good" service department.  I have yet to find such a thing at any car dealer.  Most are as incompetent as they are slimy, and as such they only get to see my vehicles for warranty work.  The rest goes to a fleet maintenance shop that I trust and has been honest and fair since day one about 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Lol, people think dealerships give good service.  

Every "got my car back with no oil" story that I've heard comes from a dealership.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Having a slow sales month op?

View Quote

This.

What's the average price of a new car? $30k? 4% of $30k isn't a bad little turn over for a few hours of work. A realtor only gets 1.5% for listing or selling a home (in most cases). That seems like a lot more work than selling a car. Should we feel bad for them too?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

LOL
Y U mad tho

You're assuming I won't negotiate. If you're not a fuckin' dickbag, and I have some room, I can sharpen my pencil a little. But I don't sweat losing sales over $50 or $100. I don't need that kind of customer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All else being equal. Same car, same interest, same options, same fees, but you bought it for $50 higher than you think you should have... $1.00 a month on a 60 month note... you're gonna lose sleep over that?

Guys, be realistic. I have bought cars, and would have paid a lot more than $50 or $100 to have a smooth transaction with a salesman that really cared about my experience and had the means to support my parts and service needs for the foreseeable future. And wasn't so damned far away.

And frankly, if you find $50 on a $35,000 vehicle to be despicable, the other dealership can have you, because you're only going to cause problems.

LOL
Y U mad tho

Proved my point.
You can't have it both ways. Either $50 is a paltry sum of money that you should have zero problem knocking off the price, or it's enough of a big deal to you that you'll post and act like you just did... and it's enough of a big deal for the customer to walk over to the next guy that'll do exactly the same thing you're going to do, but for $50 less.
Why should I negotiate with a dickbag salesman who can't understand that concept? And over fifty measly dollars?
That last line is precious and reinforces this point: the service center? It's a ________(insert manufacturer name) service center. If any dealership does that for warranty work, they are scum.

Just curious: are you trying to reinforce the stereotype?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I will never buy another new car, so I don't care.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No, you're a sleazeball if you want to extort that $50 out of people  via the threat of shitty warranty service.  

The 'independent dealer delivering quality warranty service' is the BS line used to keep Tesla out of many markets.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

LOL
Y U mad tho

You obviously can't read, and that's ok. We deliver exceptional warranty service. But if you aren't our customer, you go behind the folks that spent their money with us.

Where does someone take a Tesla for service? An Indy? Pfftt...

You people are all excited about direct sales to the public and want GM etc to do the same and you don't realize that you'll be paying MSRP and can't negotiate at all and you'll be begging for a sleazeball salesman inside a dealership.

Also, an Indy shop will never know as much about your specific car as a dealership will.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#45]
People who buy a car and don't care what the price is are either a) have "f you" money or 2) are going to stiff the bank and get repo'd.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

LOL.

Doesn't understand anything I said.  Thinks I can't do math or read a contract.  Denies the scumbag salesman stereotype is justified while proving that it is by trying to say it's the customer's fault that the salesman wants to rape your wallet.

I especially love how you think paying extra should be expected if we want the privilege of access to a "good" service department.  I have yet to find such a thing at any car dealer.  Most are as incompetent as they are slimy, and as such they only get to see my vehicles for warranty work.  The rest goes to a fleet maintenance shop that I trust and has been honest and fair since day one about 15 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

No, I read what you said. I'm not pointing at you, specifically, since you said you know math. What I'm saying is, 95% of the people who buy cars can either not read, not do math, or both. It's funny that you're blaming a car dealership for the customer signing a shitty contract.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I went to a dealership twice in two months earlier this year, looking for a Wrangler. They had a decent one, an 07 if I remember correctly, with 55k miles on it. Was a nice patriot blue, 6 speed, and a small lift. I was interested, but the price sucked, 19k sticker. I said I'll just take a look, see if it's any good. Exterior looked good, spare didn't match, but that was all I could see, but it went downhill with the interior... Massive water puddle in the trunk cubby, missing the speaker sound bar, a good deal of surface rust, it was repo'd, etc.. I thanked them for their time and left. A month and half later, I come back to look at it again, being that I was seriously in the market now. I tell them I was here a while ago, and that I wanted to look at the same jeep again. New price was 21k, and I told the guys that MSRP on a 2014 was 22k. "Oh, that's cool, but unless you have a signed sheet from another dealer we won't take it." Ok, there's a lot of shit wrong with it, and I could drive a bit out of town for a cheaper newer jeep. "Oh, that's cool, but ours is really nice, I think it's a really great deal, etc..." I gave them my price of 14k, said I wouldn't pay anymore, and they just said that the best they could do was 19k

I walked out of there, and got a 2012 with extra features, less miles, for a little under 20k. The one dealer still has the jeep sitting on their lot.

But now I'm looking at getting a different vehicle, so we'll see what happens with a new dealer
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#48]
An image that Dealers took decades to build by trying to manipulate...lie...and deceive customers is now the same image they are trying to escape......lol....."were on your side"...."now how much can you afford to pay a month".....
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Proved my point.
You can't have it both ways. Either $50 is a paltry sum of money that you should have zero problem knocking off the price, or it's enough of a big deal to you that you'll post and act like you just did... and it's enough of a big deal for the customer to walk over to the next guy that'll do exactly the same thing you're going to do, but for $50 less.
Why should I negotiate with a dickbag salesman who can't understand that concept? And over fifty measly dollars?
That last line is precious and reinforces this point: the service center? It's a ________(insert manufacturer name) service center. If any dealership does that for warranty work, they are scum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Y U mad tho

Proved my point.

Heh, whatever you say, boss. My job is to make as much money as possible.

Where we really disagree is who should give up the $50 (at a certain point).

If you just walked in and we just got started, $50 is probably no big thang. Numbers are being moved around by the hundreds or thousands.

At the end of the negotiation you're not going to care about $50 unless you already have a quote in hand from my competition. If I feel like I can go down, I will. But if I can't, or just don't want to, then the answer is no. I don't do bidding wars. I will let the competition starve their salesmen to death and I have a better customer base that knows what words like "value" mean. I don't have to give up the $50 and neither do you. You can walk on out and be on your way and we will both be just fine.

As for service, it matters in my industry. Maybe more than in the automotive world, and it's not extortion to tell a customer that we carry a higher overhead and we don't give our products away. We're still a 30 million dollar mom and pop company, and growing every year.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:47:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No, I read what you said. I'm not pointing at you, specifically, since you said you know math. What I'm saying is, 95% of the people who buy cars can either not read, not do math, or both. It's funny that you're blaming a car dealership for the customer signing a shitty contract.
View Quote

Either you didn't read or you didn't comprehend what I wrote.  I'm saying that the problem people have with dealerships is that they intentionally try to make the process confusing so they can try to pull a fast one on customers who don't know any better, which is a scummy thing to do.  And what you're saying is fuck 'em if they aren't smart or educated enough to know you're trying to screw them.  That's exactly the attitude that everyone hates about car dealers.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top