Quoted:

Who wants to bet there's video
View Quote
Knew it

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still trying to figure out the mentality that thinks its funny or cool to put a full auto in a kid's hands, or a .500 in the hands of a Columbian woman, of the local redneck snickering as he gives his girlfriend a .44 Mag.
View Quote

I'm suprised no one died from the 500 doubles yet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't believe that he let her take one shot on semi before he turned her loose on a full mag on auto.

I let my little kids shoot machine guns but the first time they shoot more than one round on semi and then they'll get a mag with 3 rounds in it to get a feel of what auto is like. I do the same thing with girls that don't shoot guns. No way I'm giving someone that has no idea what to expect and possibly not enough strength or control a full mag to dump wherever they end up dumping it. I really can't believe he did that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still trying to figure out the mentality that thinks its funny or cool to put a full auto in a kid's hands, or a .500 in the hands of a Columbian woman, of the local redneck snickering as he gives his girlfriend a .44 Mag.

http://bearingarms.com/negligent-suicide-with-a-500-smith-wesson-revolver/
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Knew it  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who wants to bet there's video
Knew it  

There is...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, as soon as I saw mini-Uzi I knew what was going to happen. I fired a lot of mini-Uzi when I worked at Vector Arms a few years ago. Even then I was very cautious with one; not a gun for a novice to pick up and mag dump. Saw a few experienced shooters put rounds well off target. Hope the young lady will be OK after this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Recent event here in MN featured a MG shooting station. They had the common sense to tether the barrel to the bench each time a gun was fired. Makes you feel like you're riding a bad ass bike on training wheels... but no one got killed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Recent event here in MN featured a MG shooting station. They had the common sense to tether the barrel to the bench each time a gun was fired. Makes you feel like you're riding a bad ass bike on training wheels... but no one got killed.
View Quote

I was just wondering if anyone ever did that
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Micro / Mini SMG in an inexperienced shooters hands.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Certified NRA and USPSA RO, here.

I disagree with most of your post. If the shooter is brand new, the RO stands in such a way that he is able to immediately control the firearm/person. Typically, the elbow of the firing hand will be the control point. You can keep them from turning left or right.  You are to pay attention to the person firing at ALL times in which they have a hot firearm and be ready to correct any dangerous movement. You don't look down range to watch hits. You don't talk to other shooters or ROs. You pay attention to your responsibility.

Only after hours of practice and the shooter has demonstrated that they are safe under different circumstances and distractions do I stand more than an arm's length away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

<tree pruned>

I disagree with most of your post. If the shooter is brand new, the RO stands in such a way that he is able to immediately control the firearm/person. Typically, the elbow of the firing hand will be the control point. You can keep them from turning left or right.  You are to pay attention to the person firing at ALL times in which they have a hot firearm and be ready to correct any dangerous movement. You don't look down range to watch hits. You don't talk to other shooters or ROs. You pay attention to your responsibility.

Only after hours of practice and the shooter has demonstrated that they are safe under different circumstances and distractions do I stand more than an arm's length away.

This, but there were many contributory factors, starting with the choice of firearm, setup of the firearm (can on the front gives you extra barrel length to see movement and get leverage if necessary) and the instructor's positioning. I always stay close in on the dominant hand side, with my midline slightly outside the shooter's shoulder.

All the shooter positional coaching should have been done with an unloaded firearm or a dummy, and a magazine with 1 round used several times. Once the shooter is comfortable (and the instructor), move up to 2 etc. I'd bet this was a pay for a full mag on a MG kind of thing, not an actual class.

ETA: video shows the instructor having a hand on the shooters back (to keep her from being pushed back?), and a hand on the mag bottom (helping support the weight?), leaving nothing to control the muzzle...

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sorry my edit didn't help.  Not much more I can do for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me repost this for the hotheads:

Inept instructor.

Nine year old girl.

Gun.

Ammunition.

What could go wrong?

something wrong with kids shooting?

Sorry my edit didn't help.  Not much more I can do for you.

Do you just have to take a shit in everyone's living room?  Do you serve any real purpose on this site, other than to be an unwanted tick, sucking the blood from others to make it from day to day?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Terrible
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not sure why they lets kids shoot small MG's. Just not smart.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Sad the kid is scarred for life, but she could have easily been the one to take the bullet to the head, at least shes alive.

I haven't seen this discussed, but I think the major problem with inexperienced shooters is, out of panic or instinctual reaction, they clamp down on the grip with their whole hand of the gun in an attempt to maintain control, this causes them to mash the trigger down, rather than releasing the trigger (kind of like driving and hitting ice, instinct is to slam the brakes... WRONG move).  

Even with a semi auto, I never trust a new shooter with more than 1 round in a mag for several shots with ANY new gun that isnt 22lr, then we upgrade to 3-5 rounds a mag.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Even with a semi auto, I never trust a new shooter with more than 1 round in a mag for several shots with ANY new gun that isnt 22lr, then we upgrade to 3-5 rounds a mag.
View Quote

Yep.  I do the same.  Seen way too many doubles under recoil.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't believe that he let her take one shot on semi before he turned her loose on a full mag on auto.
View Quote

You underestimate stupidity.

Ridgerunner, though, thinks it's good shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Tragic for all involved...regardless of who was at fault.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just before the video ends you can see the Uzi fly out of her hands, so sad.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just before the video ends you can see the Uzi fly out of her hands, so sad.
View Quote

The way that guy was standing was like it was designed to not be able to prevent anything.  Not that you could do much but get your hand shot off trying to control that SMG from the side.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I've run mini MG shoots for small groups before with an Uzi and an MP5, but the Uzi was a full size, with a Gemtech on it...so there was very little muzzle rise and the cyclical was slow enough even for new shooters to easily double tap.

A micro Uzi in the hands of a 9 year old is going to end badly no matter what you do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#21]

I'm a full-grown man and I'd probably have trouble controlling a F/A Mini-Uzi.

I hope that little girl recovers from this trauma.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
30 years ago I was handed a full auto UZI at a garbage dump and nearly shot the fingers off my left hand.  

Drunk Las Vegas PD detective who owned it hadn't told me that it was full auto and laughed like hell when the shots started going moonward 3 shots into the burst.  

I still remember the 1/3 full tumbler of bourbon he kept on his dashboard at all times during that deer hunt  

ETA: Jesus, just watched the vid.   What a terrible fucking smear these vids/events are against gun ownership.   That poor girl.   That poor dumbass RO.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I have no full autos but I always stand to right and behind a new shooter mostly so I can grab their arm if they start to point the muzzle it the wrong way.  Shit deal all around feel bad for both of them
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#24]
On the video it appears to be a Mini Uzi based on there being a small foregrip and the profile of the rear of the receiver.

I guess it could be worse, if it was a Micro and they probably both would have been dead based on the 30% greater cyclic rate and how much rotational recoil Micro's can have with virtually no weight up front.  The Massachusetts boy who shot himself a couple years back at a shoot was shooting a Micro, which is basically on par with shooting a M11/9 in stock form.;

I generally shy away from letting inexperienced shooters handle anything open bolt as you don't know if they have the common sense to hold on for the ride should a run-a-way happen and safely put all the rounds in the berm.  Always have visions in my head of a novice shooter having a run-a-way and turning around or dropping the gun not knowing what to do.

I am all for getting kids out and shooting and even let kids shoot machineguns (once they show they know what the are doing and can handle it)

In this particular case it appears that the girl (based on her apparent novice mechanics/stance) should have been learning to shoot a single cricket 22LR.  Handing a 9 year old girl who appears to have very little in the way of firearm experience a full auto Mini Uzi with a fully loaded mag is just a tragedy waiting to happen.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If the shooter is brand new, the RO stands in such a way that he is able to immediately control the firearm/person. Typically, the elbow of the firing hand will be the control point. You can keep them from turning left or right.  You are to pay attention to the person firing at ALL times in which they have a hot firearm and be ready to correct any dangerous movement. You don't look down range to watch hits. You don't talk to other shooters or ROs. You pay attention to your responsibility.

View Quote

And if we could just get 100% compliance of these protocol across the board, I'm sure we would have a 0% rate of ROs getting shot in the head by the person they are supposed to be watching.
It really is a sad story. Our human nature makes it easy for us to become complacent, and maybe loose focus for a split second. Just long enough for tragedy to strike.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Just found this liveleak vid!

From reading about the youtube vid on pg two its probably the same!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=376_1409096283
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have you ever been in the range with a new shooter? Before you know it they can turn around and are suddenly sweeping everyone with the muzzle. If their finger is still on the trigger, a round can be discharged and into someone before people even have time to process what is happening. Handling guns is an inherently dangerous activity because it only takes a split second for things to go from fun to fatal. There is no way an RO can account for what a new shooter may do on the range. At best, you lay out guidelines that you hope the new shooter will remember during live fire.
View Quote

I used to take dental students to the range, always 1 on 1, unless they had experience.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Have you ever been in the range with a new shooter? Before you know it they can turn around and are suddenly sweeping everyone with the muzzle. If their finger is still on the trigger, a round can be discharged and into someone before people even have time to process what is happening. Handling guns is an inherently dangerous activity because it only takes a split second for things to go from fun to fatal. There is no way an RO can account for what a new shooter may do on the range. At best, you lay out guidelines that you hope the new shooter will remember during live fire.
View Quote

Yes. Lots, probably a hundred or so. We do not even touch a weapon until we discuss rules (at least four of them). Then I hover like a 250 pound hummingbird ready to tackle their ass if they inadvertently or purposely start to turn around on the firing line. Of course I've been doing it this way for a long time. I've lived a long time, and expect to go on living even longer. You are correct that I cannot predict what a new shooter will do on a range, that is why I watch them like unto a hawk. I do not take my eyes off of them until the weapon is safe. We only deal with one weapon at a time. I only deal with one new shooter at a time. There is no need to reinvent the wheel here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#29]
At least the girl didn't die.

Giving a child a full auto micro-Uzi, 500 S&W or similar gun, without hours of instruction and experience with other firearms, is criminally negligent. No different than kicking them out of an airplane solo-skydiving without prior experience.

In this case it sounds like the source of criminal stupidity paid the bulk of the price, as it should be.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At least the girl didn't die.

Giving a child a full auto micro-Uzi, 500 S&W or similar gun, without hours of instruction and experience with other firearms, is criminally negligent. No different than kicking them out of an airplane solo-skydiving without prior experience.

In this case it sounds like the source of criminal stupidity paid the bulk of the price, as it should be.
View Quote

IIRC, the guy involved in the fatal Uzi incident up in New England (where the little boy died) was charged.

I don't remember the outcome.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:56:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nine year old girl.  

Gun.  

Ammunition.  

What could go wrong?
View Quote

Shit I'd already shot thousands of squirrels by the time I was nine.
Seriously though, at 9 with PROPER INSTRUCTION/GUIDANCE it shouldn't be a problem.

Letting her loose with a FA mini uzi was real dumb. Never want to see anyone killed, especially a vet, but poor judgement
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:28:24 AM EDT
[#32]
This incident makes me so angry.

I'm all for teaching kids how to shoot and be comfortable around guns, but this was just stupid and it cost that idiot his life. Now the kid is scarred for life and the gun grabbers are saying "look at those silly, irresponsible gun nuts!"

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:45:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Poor girl
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:14:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Inept instructor.

9 year old inexperienced girl.

Mini Uzi.

Full magazine.

Full auto.

What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:26:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Not every kid is ok to to shoot at 9 or at any age. Took my relative (son of in-laws) out to shoot BB guns. After a lengthy safety orientation, I handed him an unloaded BB gun which he immediately pointed it at me. End of lesson.

Many years later after issues in school, he was diagnosed with OCD, which when diagnosed as a mental illness, is not what you think it is. It is a compulsion (he cannot control it no matter how much he wants to, it is like being possessed, and yes it can run in families, note that I said in-laws) to do horrible, violent things.

He is now home schooled, medicated, and I do not forsee him taking up shooting as a hobby. If he does, I will not be the instructor.

The funny thing is his mom, who I had always seen as an incredibly successful career woman in a man's job, had this mentality of if I want it, I take it. Subject to the typical raging that we often blame on being female. I can sort of see where the kid gets it, but obviously she was able to channel it into something that worked for her. Such a fine line between crazy and crazy like a fox.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#36]
The girl only put one round into the berm in full auto.  It was already out of her left hand, first shot.  She was not ready to be shooting a F/A Mini/Micro Uzi.  Not even close.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:06:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, it was a boy who killed himself with a micro uzi.  important difference...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wasn't it a micro full auto that killed that boy a bit ago?

No, it was a boy who killed himself with a micro uzi.  important difference...

14er
A fucking 8 year old boy doesn't have the cognitive ability to fucking know not to fucking shoot a micro fucking uzi. And you come on here and spout off that he killed himself.

Shit like this load of horse shit really fucking pisses me off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:06:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what you just made yourself look like to the peanut gallery?

I do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:10:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Heard about this earlier today. Saw the story and a partial video. Just watched the video that shows just as she is shooting the rounds leading up to the fatal shot.

In one report, there was another instructor explaining how they are supposed to stand to prevent the gun from getting away. This instructor was standing in such a way. I think where the problem is, is as he is telling her to fire the burst, she begins before he finishes saying it. Thus, it appears he was actually caught off guard, not expecting the shots to begin before he finished his command. Yes, we would all think that he should have been prepared at all moments, but think about it. We have all been surprised by someone doing something before they were supposed to do it.

Have you ever been to a shooting class and had the instructor say "At the ready, Aim..." and someone shoots before the "Begin" command? It is unexpected and can be startling.

Yes, he should have expected it anyways, and that is why we should never be so comfortable that people will wait, that we are surprised when they don't.

Lone Eagle
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And if we could just get 100% compliance of these protocol across the board, I'm sure we would have a 0% rate of ROs getting shot in the head by the person they are supposed to be watching.
It really is a sad story. Our human nature makes it easy for us to become complacent, and maybe loose focus for a split second. Just long enough for tragedy to strike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the shooter is brand new, the RO stands in such a way that he is able to immediately control the firearm/person. Typically, the elbow of the firing hand will be the control point. You can keep them from turning left or right.  You are to pay attention to the person firing at ALL times in which they have a hot firearm and be ready to correct any dangerous movement. You don't look down range to watch hits. You don't talk to other shooters or ROs. You pay attention to your responsibility.

There is no amount of safety protocols that override handing a totally inappropriate firearm to a novice.

ETA: He didn't lose focus at all. Even for a split second. He was just doing everything else wrong, including letting a person shoot a firearm they were nowhere near ready for.

I'm assuming the family was not gun people and were trusting the "expert" and his judgment.

After seeing the video I feel horrible for that little girl. I can't imagine she'll get over this anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nine year old girl.  

Gun.  

Ammunition.  

What could go wrong?
View Quote

My son was shooting Camp Perry @ 9 years old
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Who
What
When
Where
Why
How

Do they even teach that in journalism school anymore?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Inept instructor.

9 year old inexperienced girl.

Mini Uzi.

Full magazine.

Full auto.

What could go wrong?
View Quote

Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several have.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#46]
With all respect to the dead, he didn't know how to train a novice.  Same thing happened a few years back when an instructor let some boy have an uzi.  The uzi killed the boy when its muzzle cllimbed and pointed at his head.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a Certified Instructor myself but I have introduced many to shooting and seen a few new shooters simply drop the gun after the first shot (even had it happen with .22LR). So, yeah, for new shooters we work with single rounds until we are both confident with moving on. Honestly, for a 9yo, a bolt-action .22LR  rifle is plenty of firearm for them to be building skills and developing a proper mindset with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Heard about this earlier today. Saw the story and a partial video. Just watched the video that shows just as she is shooting the rounds leading up to the fatal shot.

In one report, there was another instructor explaining how they are supposed to stand to prevent the gun from getting away. This instructor was standing in such a way. I think where the problem is, is as he is telling her to fire the burst, she begins before he finishes saying it. Thus, it appears he was actually caught off guard, not expecting the shots to begin before he finished his command. Yes, we would all think that he should have been prepared at all moments, but think about it. We have all been surprised by someone doing something before they were supposed to do it.

Have you ever been to a shooting class and had the instructor say "At the ready, Aim..." and someone shoots before the "Begin" command? It is unexpected and can be startling.

Yes, he should have expected it anyways, and that is why we should never be so comfortable that people will wait, that we are surprised when they don't.

Lone Eagle
View Quote

That's why the commands need to be spelled out.

"When I tell you to, do x. Do NOT do it until I tell you to, ok?"

My BIL and I took his 8yo son out shooting with a semi .22. What does BIL do? Loads up the 10rd magazine, racks it and gives it the kid standing up, then tells the kid to lay down. Three rounds went off before the kid ever got on target.

The correct procedure would have been to have his son go prone first, then give him the empty guy, the load the gun safety on, then remind him of safety rules and aiming, then take safety off. The mag should have had 1-2 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There is no amount of safety protocols that override handing a totally inappropriate firearm to a novice.

ETA: He didn't lose focus at all. Even for a split second. He was just doing everything else wrong, including letting a person shoot a firearm they were nowhere near ready for.

I'm assuming the family was not gun people and were trusting the "expert" and his judgment.

After seeing the video I feel horrible for that little girl. I can't imagine she'll get over this anytime soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree. Now we have a dead vet and instructor, and three new antis, most likely.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not every kid is ok to to shoot at 9 or at any age. Took my relative (son of in-laws) out to shoot BB guns. After a lengthy safety orientation, I handed him an unloaded BB gun which he immediately pointed it at me. End of lesson.
*snip*

View Quote

Had the same thing happen to me when I tried to introduce a friend's kid to shooting many years ago. I tried again a few years later but finally realized that he didn't have a healthy interest in guns, he was only interested in a means with which to cause harm He is 18yo now and on probation until 21 for being criminally stupid.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top