User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who wants to bet there's video
View Quote

They cut it before the fatal hit but you get the picture.

Liveleak
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel so bad for that little girl
May God give her strength to endure this event.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just before the video ends you can see the Uzi fly out of her hands, so sad.

It didn't fly out of her hands.  She took her weak hand off of the Uzi under recoil and continued to fire it with her strong hand.  The recoil always wants to move towards the path of least resistance, which for a right handed shooter is towards the shooter's LEFT.  Exactly where the instructor positioned himself.

There is a video posted on YouTube by the beloved Cory and Erika at a Costa pistol class where Costa is demonstrating this.

The 9y/o girl should have never been given a full auto micro Uzi, however the instructor was standing EXACTLY where the gun wanted to go.  If she was to hold onto it, it would have wanted to go UP.  He should have been standing behind her.  But like I said, bad idea to begin with.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:42:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Just saw the video om the morning news
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It didn't fly out of her hands.  She took her weak hand off of the Uzi under recoil and continued to fire it with her strong hand.  The recoil always wants to move towards the path of least resistance, which for a right handed shooter is towards the shooter's LEFT.  Exactly where the instructor positioned himself.

There is a video posted on YouTube by the beloved Cory and Erika at a Costa pistol class where Costa is demonstrating this.

The 9y/o girl should have never been given a full auto micro Uzi, however the instructor was standing EXACTLY where the gun wanted to go.  If she was to hold onto it, it would have wanted to go UP.  He should have been standing behind her.  But like I said, bad idea to begin with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Hell Im surprised in this day and age someone edited out the fatal shot, seeing as everything gets dumped on the internet all the time no matter what. Yet another sad accident that the left will smear in everyone's faces to let us know how unsafe all gun owners are, even shooting instructors. My question is why would these Full Auto ranges allow prepubescent children to handle these weapons? You got to figure their insurance for the business to begin with plus the risk of lawsuits would have them self govern rules against minors, particularly very young minors, handling full auto weapons.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yup. Hell Im surprised in this day and age someone edited out the fatal shot, seeing as everything gets dumped on the internet all the time no matter what. Yet another sad accident that the left will smear in everyone's faces to let us know how unsafe all gun owners are, even shooting instructors. My question is why would these Full Auto ranges allow prepubescent children to handle these weapons? You got to figure their insurance for the business to begin with plus the risk of lawsuits would have them self govern rules against minors, particularly very young minors, handling full auto weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't there a CCW "instructor" in Ohio that had "accidentally" shot two students on two separate occasions?

Terry Something-or-Other.  Dunlap?  Duncan?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
i wonder if the parents were even gun people or had ever shot a gun? im guess they were not and just passing thru and thought "lets let our 9 year old shoot a machine gun like in the movies!"

so sad
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure WTF the little girl's parents were thinking either. Very lucky she wasn't killed or seriously injured. She'll just have to live with the guilt of this tragedy for the rest of her life. Awful.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#9]
A few years ago there was an incident in Massachusetts where a 9 or so year old boy shot himself with a mini or micro uzi in a similar fashion.

Her dad later claimed he thought the smaller gun would recoil less than the full size uzi that's why he let him shoot it instead.

In both of these cases the supposed expert gave a fully loaded full auto weapon to a small child who was not experienced enough to use it.

At least in this most recent case the irresponsible party was the one who faced the consequences instead of the innocent novice.

ETA: It was a boy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A few years ago there was an incident on the east coast where a 9 or so year old girl shot herself with a mini or micro uzi in a similar fashion.

Her dad later claimed he thought the smaller gun would recoil less than the full size uzi that's why he let her shoot it instead.

In both of these cases the supposed expert gave a fully loaded full auto weapon to a small girl who was not experienced enough to use it.

At least in this most recent case the irresponsible party was the one who faced the consequences instead of the innocent novice.
View Quote

I think you are remembering this one in MA:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/14/massachusetts.gun.show.verdict/index.html
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:06:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep that's the one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Upon seeing the video the instructor wasn't very on his game that day.

I place full and total blame on him.  The girl was doing as she was told.  She has only the knowledge of a fricking Micro Uzi Machine Pistol as she was sparsely given.

I have some Glock 18 training and if you weren't 100 percent paranoid in learning that gun you were stupid or not meant to be there.

FWIW there are 25 year olds i wouldn't trust with an MP5 and a topped off magazine much less giving an UZI machine pistol to a little girl with a topped off mag.

Shorter the shooter the longer that gun needs to be. Especially full auto. And a full mag should have been totally out of the question
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not against parents letting their kids shoot fully automatic weapons. But I wish the parents or instructors would be smart enough to get behind the child, and help them hold onto the weapon as they fire. To avoid crappy things like this.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Not surprisingly, this is getting a lot of media attention.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not surprisingly, this is getting a lot of media attention.

View Quote

Once again, the stupids are going to ruin a good thing for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
been the lead story in the Metro NY area TV news, because the young girl is from NJ
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Bad decisions abound.  All adults involved are culpable.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not against parents letting their kids shoot fully automatic weapons. But I wish the parents or instructors would be smart enough to get behind the child, and help them hold onto the weapon as they fire. To avoid crappy things like this.  
View Quote

The range I worked at had a metal ring in a stand that you put the fore-end of the gun through for the full auto stuff. It helped avoid rounds through the roof and walls.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bad decisions abound.  All adults involved are culpable.
View Quote

This.  And the girl will be the one to have to live with the fact that she killed someone for the rest of her life.  I'd bet money she'll be anti-gun from now on.  Poor kid.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Certified NRA and USPSA RO, here.

I disagree with most of your post. If the shooter is brand new, the RO stands in such a way that he is able to immediately control the firearm/person. Typically, the elbow of the firing hand will be the control point. You can keep them from turning left or right.  You are to pay attention to the person firing at ALL times in which they have a hot firearm and be ready to correct any dangerous movement. You don't look down range to watch hits. You don't talk to other shooters or ROs. You pay attention to your responsibility.

Only after hours of practice and the shooter has demonstrated that they are safe under different circumstances and distractions do I stand more than an arm's length away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you ever been in the range with a new shooter? Before you know it they can turn around and are suddenly sweeping everyone with the muzzle. If their finger is still on the trigger, a round can be discharged and into someone before people even have time to process what is happening. Handling guns is an inherently dangerous activity because it only takes a split second for things to go from fun to fatal. There is no way an RO can account for what a new shooter may do on the range. At best, you lay out guidelines that you hope the new shooter will remember during live fire.

I disagree with most of your post. If the shooter is brand new, the RO stands in such a way that he is able to immediately control the firearm/person. Typically, the elbow of the firing hand will be the control point. You can keep them from turning left or right.  You are to pay attention to the person firing at ALL times in which they have a hot firearm and be ready to correct any dangerous movement. You don't look down range to watch hits. You don't talk to other shooters or ROs. You pay attention to your responsibility.

Only after hours of practice and the shooter has demonstrated that they are safe under different circumstances and distractions do I stand more than an arm's length away.

I only stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night but I recognize that this is a good post.

When I take new shooters of ANY age to the range, I follow exactly what you prescribe.  I brought my buddy and his wife shooting at a pistol range and I was right where I needed to be when she fired the first shot and instinctively tried to turn around and look at us with pistol in hand.  My hand as on her elbow before she even got past 20 degrees off dead center.  I wouldn't call it a lesson as I already knew, but it certainly reinforced my belief in everything you said.

She knew the rules and could repeat them but no matter what you tell a new shooter, you have to understand that your rules are also competing for space in their brain which is processing a ton of new and strange information.  Both the sound and the recoil (or lack thereof) can be a pretty big surprise for a new shooter even if they watch someone else first.  Most people I've seen firing their first round pull the trigger like the gun is going to explode in their hands regardless of whether it's a .22LR or something more powerful.

Another thing I'll add is that it's also a GREAT idea to give new shooters one round at a time until they are comfortable.  Dead instructor in the article would have survived her reaction to the recoil had he done this much.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Let me repost this for the hotheads:

Inept instructor.

Nine year old girl.

Gun. UZI with a gofast switch.

Ammunition.

What could go wrong?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]

A micro uzi?

Again?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only reason to go to press with an article like that when so little is known about the incident is to have one more piece in the media that colors guns poorly.

Not surprising, really.

And if she was under instruction, it's the instructor's fault. RO's have a very specific task. i.e. keep the gun pointed down range at all times. Period.

100% correct.  Unfortunately the girl will be scarred for life from the "instructor's" screw up.

Have you ever been in the range with a new shooter? Before you know it they can turn around and are suddenly sweeping everyone with the muzzle. If their finger is still on the trigger, a round can be discharged and into someone before people even have time to process what is happening. Handling guns is an inherently dangerous activity because it only takes a split second for things to go from fun to fatal. There is no way an RO can account for what a new shooter may do on the range. At best, you lay out guidelines that you hope the new shooter will remember during live fire.

I also make it physically impossible for a new shooter to point a gun at anything or anyone we don't want to shoot. It's not hard with one to one instruction. I have physically stopped shooters from making mistakes many times. Comes with the job of teaching new shooters.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He let her shoot an Uzi on F/A
Ive seen adults lose control over an uzi on F/A before
No way a 9 year old should have been given one
Watch the video
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not an accident.

Negligence.

Instructor did not ensure that the girl understood the four rules before handling a loaded firearm.

Watch the video

Pepper your angus.  Tons of tactical nine years olds being bragged on here.

Totally irrelevant, of course, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I've fired a micro several times.  I hate that goddamn thing and am doing good to get half the magazine on target. .  A Beretta 93R is a more controllable platform than that.  This is  pure neglect on the part of the adults involved.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A micro uzi?

Again?

View Quote

It was a mini. The boy in MA had an actual micro which is even more stupid.

I still can't believe that someone who has been around FA would have thought this was OK. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#28]
it sometimes surprises me this does not happen at the Full Autp ranges in Vegas. you get lots of people that have never even touched a real gun shooting F/A
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You underestimate stupidity.

Ridgerunner, though, thinks it's good shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't believe that he let her take one shot on semi before he turned her loose on a full mag on auto.

You underestimate stupidity.

Ridgerunner, though, thinks it's good shit.

Not sure what you point is. Kids shoot safely every day. Only a massive fucking idiot would not want kids to learn to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Yep, first thought when I heard of it on late night radio was the MA incident.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I still can't believe that someone who has been around FA would have thought this was OK. I don't get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A micro uzi?

Again?

Still though, with the stock extended how easy would it be for a novice to shoot their weak hand?

It's crazy.

What's the ROF on that thing, 1000rpm?

ETA: ROF is 950rpm.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not an accident.

Negligence.

Instructor did not ensure that the girl understood the four rules before handling a loaded firearm.

Watch the video

You didn't look bad enough before so you continue to dig?

I wish I had video of my boy shooting FA stuff. My camera puked the day I took him.

Little different set of circumstances. He was 14 yo. 6'2" and 160#. He's been shooting stuff like AR, Mauser, M91/30, M1, FAL for years.

A full sized UZI was what he shot first. My SOT friend went over everything with Jake already knew. Made him shoot a mag with 3 rounds which Jake put on target with an extreme forward lean, low elbows and hard cheek weld. He was handed a magazine after he handed back the empty, inserted, cocked and put 30 rounds down range in 3-5 shot bursts while hitting bits of cans, clays and boards on the berm. SOT was impressed.

Next was the PKM, M60 and then the micro Galil. It was a banner day.

Point is, don't hand a gun to someone who shouldn't shoot  it. To lump that behavior into the notion "kids and guns, what could go wrong" is fucking Kalifornia stupid.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wish I had video of my boy shooting FA stuff. My camera puked the day I took him.

Little different set of circumstances. He was 14 yo. 6'2" and 160#. He's been shooting stuff like AR, Mauser, M91/30, M1, FAL for years.

A full sized UZI was what he shot first. My SOT friend went over everything with Jake already knew. Made him shoot a mag with 3 rounds which Jake put on target with an extreme forward lean, low elbows and hard cheek weld. He was handed a magazine after he handed back the empty, inserted, cocked and put 30 rounds down range in 3-5 shot bursts while hitting bits of cans, clays and boards on the berm. SOT was impressed.

Point is, don't hand a gun to someone who shouldn't shoot  it. To lump that behavior into the notion "kids and guns, what could go wrong" is fucking Kalifornia stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not an accident.

Negligence.

Watch the video

Winner winner chicken dinner.   SOP for every new shooter on a MG.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#35]

when idiots collide.

young girl's parents vs naive RO.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not an accident.

Negligence.

Watch the video

It's about experience. You crawl before you walk. You walk before you run.

With enough instruction and experience, I am confident you can safely have a kid shoot a mini-Uzi.

But jumping from no experience to shooting an auto Uzi? Negligence, pure and simple.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#37]
A 9 year old needs a single shot. Not a micro Uzi.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
To lump that behavior into the notion "kids and guns, what could go wrong" is fucking Kalifornia stupid.
View Quote

Your kids are quite tactical.  They still have nothing to do with what went on in NV.

Carry on . . .

But the endless bragging about your kids is a bit much.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only reason to go to press with an article like that when so little is known about the incident is to have one more piece in the media that colors guns poorly.

Not surprising, really.

And if she was under instruction, it's the instructor's fault. RO's have a very specific task. i.e. keep the gun pointed down range at all times. Period.

100% correct.  Unfortunately the girl will be scarred for life from the "instructor's" screw up.

Yup....I see it all the time.

And, on the Air Soft Range it's far worst.  Not speaking of "On the Game Field Areas."  But, when I point it out to the adults in charge or the kids in the "safe areas" I get the.....

"It's not a real gun."  

Or,

"It's not loaded."

Bad habits start young.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A 9 year old needs a single shot. Not a micro Uzi.

View Quote

This.

Good grief.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn, that happened in a split second!

What's the ROF on a micro Uzi?

ETA

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Watch the video
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not an accident.

Negligence.

Watch the video

Some people will accuse you of being an anti-gunner after saying that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#44]
This is why all guns need to be banned. Think of the children, who needs a machinegun?! Theres so much kick with its .30 caliber clip.... 1/2 second

But in all seriousness, I wouldnt let my 9 year old kid shoot a full auto uzi. Just not at that age.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Damn, that happened in a split second!

What's the ROF on a micro Uzi?

ETA

View Quote

It was a mini, ROF is 950...which is ridiculous to hand to an inexperienced shooter, especially one who doesn't have the upper body strength to hold it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

hopefully the instructor pulls through;
View Quote

He's dead Jim.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#47]
ROF feels a lot higher than 950 on a mini.....they are a beast to hang on to....and I'm 5'11 195

pic from one of the threads at uzitalk.....pretty much explains exactly what happens.....by the time the 2nd round left the barrel (look at the impacts on the berm....at 20 rounds a second there were probably 3 or 4 over it) it was done.........

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#48]
That was dumb as hell.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Your kids are quite tactical.  They still have nothing to do with what went on in NV.

Carry on . . .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To lump that behavior into the notion "kids and guns, what could go wrong" is fucking Kalifornia stupid.

Carry on . . .

Jealousy is such an ugly emotion.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not an accident.

Negligence.

Watch the video

Not by anyone who knows anything about firearms and FA in particular.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top