View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I in before people claim to see bikes doing wheelies and triple digit speeds between cars "all the time?"

Hell, if my Buell could wheelie at triple digit speeds ...

My dream is to overcook a corner in the mountains and wingsuit it to safety.  Unfortunately, wingsuits lend themselves more to a scooter geometry than motorcycle geometry.  And scooters don't lend themselves to a sufficient launch velocity.

I have ridden some modded ( Modified ) Lambretta and Vespa scooters that hauled ass. Scary quick and fast.

This Vespa need to get me to a V0 such that my parabolic arc gets me to ~105 KEAS before I run out of AGL.  

I'm putting a lot of trust in you, dude.  Let's do this!

High side?

Yeah, I think High Side is Best Side for this sort of thing, but that's not how it's really going to work in practice.

Hopefully, there is something that trips me out of the over-leaned low-side - that's a tad bit softer than a guard rail.  With this magical guarantee, I can then transition to my batsuit!  Landing the wingsuit in Class III rapids is just icing on the cake!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Woops. i thought you said "Isn't lane splitting illegal"
View Quote

I say a lot of things.  What I say sounds even dumber when I say it in Florida.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Lane splitting is definitely on the list of things one expects to see in the shitholes of the developing world.  Right up there with defecating on the streets.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
He don't need no stinkin' knobbies if it ain't gonna rain.  Velcro to dirt, or Velcro to asphalt?  I'm going to chose: Velcro to asphalt.  It's ok to slide on dirt, but there's a much greater penalty for sliding on asphalt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

California is probably the one of the best states for Motorcycle riders.

Lots of mountains and twisty roads, coast highways, and deserts if you like off roaring.  And lane splitting, and you can ride all year round, it barely rains.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg

You killed your knobs!  

He don't need no stinkin' knobbies if it ain't gonna rain.  Velcro to dirt, or Velcro to asphalt?  I'm going to chose: Velcro to asphalt.  It's ok to slide on dirt, but there's a much greater penalty for sliding on asphalt.

Zactly,   we get to the places we want to go off road just fine and not as slow as you would think.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lane splitting is definitely on the list of things one expects to see in the shitholes of the developing world.  Right up there with defecating on the streets.  
View Quote

That would make a decent sig line for someone, haha.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
I can't think of another first world country that it isn't legal.   The ( majority ) of the USA is about it.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Zactly,   we get to the places we want to go off road just fine and not as slow as you would think.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of mountains and twisty roads, coast highways, and deserts if you like off roaring.  And lane splitting, and you can ride all year round, it barely rains.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg

You killed your knobs!  

I've got a Buell Ulysses and knobbies aren't even an option.  Regardless, I'm not sure knobbies would help me much in snot-slick wet clay, or algae-slicked water crossings.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You killed your knobs!  

Hence the
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got passed by about a dozen lane-splitting motorcycles on the way home from work today, which is typical.  Traffic was slow as usual.  I always move over to give them as much room as possible.  
View Quote

You're a gentleman and a scholar
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a law 22350 CVC, not specific to motorcycles but it can be used against someone lane splitting
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes, this state rocks for sport bikes. Sucks for dirt bikes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
WTF
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF

Anti 2-stroke.

Did you know some counties are outlawing leaf blowers now? Yeah... good times.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#13]
There's always so much butt-hurt in lane-splitting/sharing threads.

I wish I had my GoPro on today while I split thru thousands of cars on the 91 and the 55
just to post the video here and feel the love.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Anti 2-stroke.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF

Anti 2-stroke.

So restricted 2-stroke laws mean that the trails are bunk in CA?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

There's always so much butt-hurt in lane-splitting/sharing threads.

I wish I had my GoPro on today while I split thru thousands of cars on the 91 and the 55

just to post the video here and feel the love.
View Quote

Buttpinched. They should wait in line like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF

Anti 2-stroke.

The trails still open are fun as shit. Hollister hills is a blast.

I never got to ride silver creek
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No shoulder on either side, clearly in the opposite traffic direction lane.  See, the thing is I don't mind lane sharing (I ride motorcycles but don't do it) at lights and places where you are not impeding the flow of other drivers.  Have you ever been behind someone at the gate when they are stopped, digging for their ID, and usually take twice as long as vehicles to get moving?  The entitlement factor of this rider is amazing, meaning his time is more important than anyone else's.  Does the extra 30 seconds make a difference in the big picture?   Probably not, but it doesn't help the argument for lane splitting and motorcyclist's entitlement reputation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was on a one lane (both ways) road today waiting in line to get into base.  This motorcycle splits the double line and rides past everyone to the sentry gate.  The amount of horns going off was musical.  Some Navy kid that apparently thinks that's somehow legal lane splitting.

You mean lane sharing? Would you rather he did it on the shoulder side instead?

(Not that I care either way, but I wait in line like everyone else at the gate. I will skip to the front at lights and stop signs though.)

No shoulder on either side, clearly in the opposite traffic direction lane.  See, the thing is I don't mind lane sharing (I ride motorcycles but don't do it) at lights and places where you are not impeding the flow of other drivers.  Have you ever been behind someone at the gate when they are stopped, digging for their ID, and usually take twice as long as vehicles to get moving?  The entitlement factor of this rider is amazing, meaning his time is more important than anyone else's.  Does the extra 30 seconds make a difference in the big picture?   Probably not, but it doesn't help the argument for lane splitting and motorcyclist's entitlement reputation.

With you 100%. I personally don't care if a motorcyclist 'lane splits' or 'lane shares'  over a double yellow. It's his ass... :) Stupid fuckers at the gate (type of vehicle be damned) will always be stupid fuckers. May fuck be upon them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't think you understand the context of the situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was on a one lane (both ways) road today waiting in line to get into base.  This motorcycle splits the double line and rides past everyone to the sentry gate.  The amount of horns going off was musical.  Some Navy kid that apparently thinks that's somehow legal lane splitting.

You mean lane sharing? Would you rather he did it on the shoulder side instead?

(Not that I care either way, but I wait in line like everyone else at the gate. I will skip to the front at lights and stop signs though.)

He actually saves YOU time by not being in the way.  

I don't think you understand the context of the situation.

He doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
<cut>
  Hence the
View Quote

I know - I just don't emoticon very well.

A supermoto with a spare change of knobbies in the garage is one of my many dreams.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wish it where illegal. I hear its supposed to be regulated to certain times and speeds but they just blatantly split lanes at any speed any time they want.

Guess what traffic is, Its waiting in line. I don't go slow in my car because I can't fit. I'm fucking waiting in line. Just because a bike fits doesn't mean it should.
View Quote

So you'd rather wait in an even longer line than you do now.....
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ok, but how does the law differentiate lane splitting on a straight section of multilane interstate / suburban whatever, and someone cutting off your line on Mulholland Drive?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, but how does the law differentiate lane splitting on a straight section of multilane interstate / suburban whatever, and someone cutting off your line on Mulholland Drive?

Simple, if I take your line away from you, then we're racing & you're not going fast enough......

When I was 16 I rode from California to Arkansas, through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, & Arkansas...

Spent most the time next to my Dad on his Bike & not one Cop pulled us over for it.........

Got stationed in Virgina in 1974, was riding my Bike & some other rider freaks out when I pull up next to him.....

I've ridden in a large group, up to 400-500 Bikes, some times we're side by side, other times we're staggered....

Just depends on the conditions..... If you can't ride side by side, you're traveling way over the speed limit for that road.......  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm no expert on traffic law, but lane splitting isn't lane sharing.

I't's actually pretty specific.. you're not allowed to exceed 5mph over the flow of traffic and no more than 25mph max while lane splitting. So lane splitting while traffic is going 60mph is definitely illegal.

It's not a do what you want law. The basis is that in gridlock motorcycles can move safely in between lanes while other cars are stopped or moving very slowly. And it's a correct, safe and practical practice.

Lane splitting when traffic is moving over 25mph is illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always thought it was a pretty dangerous practice.

It's not.

Banning it is stupid. And good luck chasing any violators in gridlock.

Is there anything in CA law that say that if you are overtaking a vehicle while sharing the same lane, that you have to yield right of way to that vehicle?

I't's actually pretty specific.. you're not allowed to exceed 5mph over the flow of traffic and no more than 25mph max while lane splitting. So lane splitting while traffic is going 60mph is definitely illegal.

It's not a do what you want law. The basis is that in gridlock motorcycles can move safely in between lanes while other cars are stopped or moving very slowly. And it's a correct, safe and practical practice.

That's changed from the '60s-'70s......... Back then it was legal at speed......
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You are doubling down on the California stuff.

And what you are said seems to run counter to the text of Florida statute....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Democratic Peoples Republic of California.

So, by adopting traffic enforcement that is more closely aligned with long standing enforcement practices in all the other states, California is somehow an overbearing totalitarian state?

Is lane splitting legal in Florida?

Yes. Yes.

I thought California was "Better" than everyone else. The Californians keep telling me so.

You are doubling down on the California stuff.

And what you are said seems to run counter to the text of Florida statute....

316.209 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.—
(2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/316.209

We understand, Virgina is for Lovers, not Bikers......
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF

Anti 2-stroke.

My old RM370B still has a Green Sticker on it's 2 stroke bad ass...........

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Simple, if I take your line away from you, then we're racing & you're not going fast enough......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's reckless driving -  both by statue and by any honest definition.

Doing something that can interfere with someone else's navigation through a corner can lead to their death, and death or serious injury to oncoming motorists.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wish it where illegal. I hear its supposed to be regulated to certain times and speeds but they just blatantly split lanes at any speed any time they want.

Guess what traffic is, Its waiting in line. I don't go slow in my car because I can't fit. I'm fucking waiting in line. Just because a bike fits doesn't mean it should.
View Quote

Waaah waaah waahh its not faaaaiiiiirrrrr waah waah waah
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I never understood how so much stupid shit can be illegal in California yet lane splitting is legal.
View Quote

They like to take a Darwinian approach to Two Wheelers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just depends on the conditions..... If you can't ride side by side, you're traveling way over the speed limit for that road.......
View Quote

People have no business riding side by side on roads where I live.  Perfectly safe and legal speeds for individual motorcyclists are ridiculously dangerous, if not impossible, for side by side riders.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got passed by about a dozen lane-splitting motorcycles on the way home from work today, which is typical.  Traffic was slow as usual.  I always move over to give them as much room as possible.  
View Quote

This.

And I am amazed that given our state's desire to be at the very top of the nanny list, lane splitting has not been made illegal.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

There is a law 22350 CVC, not specific to motorcycles but it can be used against someone lane splitting
View Quote

Yes, that's the one.

V C Section 22350 Basic Speed Law

Basic Speed Law

22350.  No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a
speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for
weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the
highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of
persons or property.

Amended Ch. 252, Stats. 1963. Effective September 20, 1963.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Passing a car from behind in the same lane on your motorcyle sounds like a great way to get killed.

You're already driving a small, easy to miss vehicle... and then you're going to sneak past a car within the same lane?

Yeah, that sounds totally safe.

FTR, I don't think it should be illegal, mostly because I doubt it carries much risk to anyone but the guy on the motorcycle.
View Quote

Yet in every bicycle hate thread that's exactly what folks say should be done.....

Lane sharing can be fine or it can be stupid - depends on the particular circumstances.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any large metro area sucks for dirtbikes.  I have friends in North Edwards - they ride from the garage every day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg</a>

Location?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Only when done by douchebags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only when done by douchebags.

There's a lot out there

I usually get waves by the careful ones

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you mean Clear Creek?

Have you ridden Mendocino NF - Middle Creek or Stonyford?  Or Georgetown?  All a bit of a drive from the South Bay but much better than Hollister IMO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes. Yes.

I thought California was "Better" than everyone else. The Californians keep telling me so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Democratic Peoples Republic of California.

So, by adopting traffic enforcement that is more closely aligned with long standing enforcement practices in all the other states, California is somehow an overbearing totalitarian state?

Is lane splitting legal in Florida?

Yes. Yes.

California is the ONLY state in the US where it's legal to lane split.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anti 2-stroke.

View Quote

How much of the 2 stroke &/or blower issue is due to the noise of a shitty muffler on Paco's backpack blower at 7am?  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Doing something that can interfere with someone else's navigation through a corner can lead to their death, and death or serious injury to oncoming motorists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you doing that the person is trying to pass like that? Are you driving in such a way to keep them behind you?
It sure sounds like it. Just like I've done on the Race Track, to Block someone trying to over take me.

The person who takes your line away, would do it, legal or not...... They don't sit there saying I'd do that if it was legal...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're in good company with thinking there should be a law because your feelings are hurt.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

People have no business riding side by side on roads where I live.  Perfectly safe and legal speeds for individual motorcyclists are ridiculously dangerous, if not impossible, for side by side riders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On those types of roads, you think the only reason someone doesn't do that is the Law?

The person who'd pass like that doesn't care about the Law.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Any large metro area sucks for dirtbikes.  I have friends in North Edwards - they ride from the garage every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put some Street Tires on a big single & they work real good for heavy traffic in a big City........
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Do you mean Clear Creek?

Have you ridden Mendocino NF - Middle Creek or Stonyford?  Or Georgetown?  All a bit of a drive from the South Bay but much better than Hollister IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean Clear Creek?

I preferred Metcalf to HH..........
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're a good man Charlie Brown.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I was always amazed at the skill of the lane splitters. Even the big ass hogs did it. Lived there for 25+ years and drove the busiest So Cal freeways all the time.

Also drove an ambulance for a year and a half and one night when I was driving a fatass Ford mod (typical box ambulance you'd imagine) I was in heavy traffic near USC on the 110 freeway in the far left lane. Every lane was moving the same speed and low and behold some crotch rocket comes roaring up. I'm creeping along but this big ass vehicle moves with the road and I'm clearly filling my lane. He pulls past me and gets to the hood area, looks back and smacks the hood as if I wronged him in some way. He's lucky he didn't get squished.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Enough people will open doors to get out and stretch that the splitter would get stuck sooner or later.   It's like a law of the universe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

Enough people will open doors to get out and stretch that the splitter would get stuck sooner or later.   It's like a law of the universe.

There are TWO California Vehicle Codes that specifically state that action as illegal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#46]
3 weeks ago we were in Cali and saw a lane splitter crash on the 91FWY. By the time we got up to him he was back on his bike. If lane splitting were allowed in AZ there would be lots of squished motorcycles.......
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

Is there anything in CA law that say that if you are overtaking a vehicle while sharing the same lane, that you have to yield right of way to that vehicle?

Everything you wrote is bullshit. Do a little research b/4 posting.

Roy
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

It's basically because the thermodynamics of air-cooled engines are different from water-cooled.

Never could figure out why it pissed people off. If you want that advantage then buy a bike and split lanes yourself.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's basically because the thermodynamics of air-cooled engines are different from water-cooled.

Never could figure out why it pissed people off. If you want that advantage then buy a bike and split lanes yourself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

Precicely, too much butthurt.

Well, we can all hate cyclists
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Driving on the Shoulder is illegal here, but there a few off ramps that back up .75-1 miles onto the freeway every day..... The people taking those exits line up on the shoulder, instead of blocking the right lane.... All 4 lanes of the freeway are full, too.... You won't see the PoPo writing them a ticket for driving on the shoulder in those spots...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top