Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/24/2014 8:31:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I never understood how so much stupid shit can be illegal in California yet lane splitting is legal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like split Veronica De La Cruz's lane
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like a good way to run up your health care expenses.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Always thought it was a pretty dangerous practice.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Still not illegal.  One of those asshats took off my driver's side door mirror and just sorta raised his hand like "sorry" as he drove off.

My beloved Nissan can't take that kind of hit!

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish it where illegal. I hear its supposed to be regulated to certain times and speeds but they just blatantly split lanes at any speed any time they want.

Guess what traffic is, Its waiting in line. I don't go slow in my car because I can't fit. I'm fucking waiting in line. Just because a bike fits doesn't mean it should.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link not working for me! When I click it , I get a message link not valid!

Never the less, lane sharing is legal in CA (I don't think it is in other states as far as I have looked).

As of this year the CA govt has taken this legality to a different level and stated that 30mph is the fastest that one can lane share!

You can have your hate, or not of the law, but it is now written as what is legal or not! Now in CA there is a speed limit to it!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
That would be highly illegal here
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Link not working for me! When I click it , I get a message link not valid!
Never the less, lane sharing is legal in CA (I don't think it is in other states as far as I have looked).
As of this year the CA govt has taken this legality to a different level and stated that 30mph is the fastest that one can lane share!
You can have your hate, or not of the law, but it is now written as what is legal or not! Now in CA there is a speed limit to it!
View Quote

Still works for me.
You can always Google up the story using keywords..  https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en&gws_rd=ssl#complete=0&hl=en&q=lane+splitting+california
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I was on a one lane (both ways) road today waiting in line to get into base.  This motorcycle splits the double line and rides past everyone to the sentry gate.  The amount of horns going off was musical.  Some Navy kid that apparently thinks that's somehow legal lane splitting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's not.

Banning it is stupid. And good luck chasing any violators in gridlock.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#12]

I like lane splitting.  it really helps reduce traffic and cuts my travel time.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Only when done by douchebags.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
My understanding from motorcycle magazines from a several years back is that lane splitting isn't explicitly allowed per California law - it's just not explicitly illegal.  

There was some legislation recently in Virginia to allow motorcycles to pass each other / ride along side in the same lane - and I was vehemently opposed to the law as it was written.  It just seemed like some NoVA dumbfuckery to placate whatever - but it has real consequences here in the mountains.  Having someone try to take an inside line on you when you are in an outside corner is a recipe for disaster, regardless of whether there is an oncoming car/truck in the turn.  The law was worded like everything in the state is a six lane superhighway.  Oh, yeah, and I hate NoVA, did I say that already?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Democratic Peoples Republic of California.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

Is there anything in CA law that say that if you are overtaking a vehicle while sharing the same lane, that you have to yield right of way to that vehicle?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Ponch and Jon were the best at it.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I got passed by about a dozen lane-splitting motorcycles on the way home from work today, which is typical.  Traffic was slow as usual.  I always move over to give them as much room as possible.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Am I in before people claim to see bikes doing wheelies and triple digit speeds between cars "all the time?"
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#20]
California is probably the one of the best states for Motorcycle riders.

Lots of mountains and twisty roads, coast highways, and deserts if you like off roaring.  And lane splitting, and you can ride all year round, it barely rains.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, by adopting traffic enforcement that is more closely aligned with long standing enforcement practices in all the other states, California is somehow an overbearing totalitarian state?

Is lane splitting legal in Florida?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

You must have more faith in other drivers than me. I keep as far away from other vehicles as possible, squeezing in between two dullards texting or messing around on facebook could fuck your day up pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lots of mountains and twisty roads, coast highways, and deserts if you like off roaring.  And lane splitting, and you can ride all year round, it barely rains.
View Quote

Ok, but how does the law differentiate lane splitting on a straight section of multilane interstate / suburban whatever, and someone cutting off your line on Mulholland Drive?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Am I in before people claim to see bikes doing wheelies and triple digit speeds between cars "all the time?"
View Quote

I have seen both. The wheelies are lame.

Wheelies at triple digit speeds would be impressive, though.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So, by adopting traffic enforcement that is more closely aligned with long standing enforcement practices in all the other states, California is somehow an overbearing totalitarian state?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Yes.

I thought California was "Better" than everyone else. The Californians keep telling me so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I lane split (when safe)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My understanding from motorcycle magazines from a several years back is that lane splitting isn't explicitly allowed per California law - it's just not explicitly illegal.  

There was some legislation recently in Virginia to allow motorcycles to pass each other / ride along side in the same lane - and I was vehemently opposed to the law as it was written.  It just seemed like some NoVA dumbfuckery to placate whatever - but it has real consequences here in the mountains.  Having someone try to take an inside line on you when you are in an outside corner is a recipe for disaster, regardless of whether there is an oncoming car/truck in the turn.  The law was worded like everything in the state is a six lane superhighway.  Oh, yeah, and I hate NoVA, did I say that already?
View Quote

That which is not illegal is by definition legal.
There is no need for laws permitting stuff, only prohibiting stuff.

That being said. SPLIT ON!!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wish it where illegal. I hear its supposed to be regulated to certain times and speeds but they just blatantly split lanes at any speed any time they want.

Guess what traffic is, Its waiting in line. I don't go slow in my car because I can't fit. I'm fucking waiting in line. Just because a bike fits doesn't mean it should.
View Quote

Sooo... you're against it because it's dangerous to the biker, or because you're jealous that a biker gets to their destination faster?

lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Passing a car from behind in the same lane on your motorcyle sounds like a great way to get killed.

You're already driving a small, easy to miss vehicle... and then you're going to sneak past a car within the same lane?

Yeah, that sounds totally safe.

FTR, I don't think it should be illegal, mostly because I doubt it carries much risk to anyone but the guy on the motorcycle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, if my Buell could wheelie at triple digit speeds ...

My dream is to overcook a corner in the mountains and wingsuit it to safety.  Unfortunately, wingsuits lend themselves more to a scooter geometry than motorcycle geometry.  And scooters don't lend themselves to a sufficient launch velocity.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Is there anything in CA law that say that if you are overtaking a vehicle while sharing the same lane, that you have to yield right of way to that vehicle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not.

I'm no expert on traffic law, but lane splitting isn't lane sharing.

I't's actually pretty specific.. you're not allowed to exceed 5mph over the flow of traffic and no more than 25mph max while lane splitting. So lane splitting while traffic is going 60mph is definitely illegal.

It's not a do what you want law. The basis is that in gridlock motorcycles can move safely in between lanes while other cars are stopped or moving very slowly. And it's a correct, safe and practical practice.

Lane splitting when traffic is moving over 25mph is illegal.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#33]
The nanny state is slacking.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, but how does the law protect my right of way to the full width of my lane in a tight turn?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was on a one lane (both ways) road today waiting in line to get into base.  This motorcycle splits the double line and rides past everyone to the sentry gate.  The amount of horns going off was musical.  Some Navy kid that apparently thinks that's somehow legal lane splitting.
View Quote

You mean lane sharing? Would you rather he did it on the shoulder side instead?

(Not that I care either way, but I wait in line like everyone else at the gate. I will skip to the front at lights and stop signs though.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, this state rocks for sport bikes. Sucks for dirt bikes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I't's actually pretty specific.. you're not allowed to exceed 5mph over the flow of traffic and no more than 25mph max while lane splitting. So lane splitting while traffic is going 60mph is definitely illegal.

It's not a do what you want law. The basis is that in gridlock motorcycles can move safely in between lanes while other cars are stopped or moving very slowly. And it's a correct, safe and practical practice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

But what's the statute that sets this?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

My dream is to overcook a corner in the mountains and wingsuit it to safety.  Unfortunately, wingsuits lend themselves more to a scooter geometry than motorcycle geometry.  And scooters don't lend themselves to a sufficient launch velocity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have ridden some modded ( Modified ) Lambretta and Vespa scooters that hauled ass. Scary quick and fast.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes. Yes.

I thought California was "Better" than everyone else. The Californians keep telling me so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Yes.

You are doubling down on the California stuff.

And what you are said seems to run counter to the text of Florida statute....

316.209 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.—
(2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/316.209
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

(Not that I care either way, but I wait in line like everyone else at the gate. I will skip to the front at lights and stop signs though.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shoulder on either side, clearly in the opposite traffic direction lane.  See, the thing is I don't mind lane sharing (I ride motorcycles but don't do it) at lights and places where you are not impeding the flow of other drivers.  Have you ever been behind someone at the gate when they are stopped, digging for their ID, and usually take twice as long as vehicles to get moving?  The entitlement factor of this rider is amazing, meaning his time is more important than anyone else's.  Does the extra 30 seconds make a difference in the big picture?   Probably not, but it doesn't help the argument for lane splitting and motorcyclist's entitlement reputation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have ridden some modded ( Modified ) Lambretta and Vespa scooters that hauled ass. Scary quick and fast.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This Vespa need to get me to a V0 such that my parabolic arc gets me to ~105 KEAS before I run out of AGL.  

I'm putting a lot of trust in you, dude.  Let's do this!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You killed your knobs!  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not.

Ha...

Like many laws in CA, the multitude of inputs makes the bottom line unclear. When I looked into it I found several anecdotes, and what I've summarized is the basic outline for the "law" here in regards to lane splitting, as motorcycle riders and LE in CA understand it.

In my experience, lane splitting is legal when done "responsibly". The definition of responsible is no more than 5mph over the flow of traffic with a 25mph max speed.

Do guys exceed 25mph? All the time, and CHP mostly doesn't bother them. If you're riding like an asshole though, you're fishing for a ticket.

Kind of a common sense thing.. lanesplit rationally and you're G2G. Ride like an asshole and don't be surprised if you draw attention from ticket writers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
No shoulder on either side, clearly in the opposite traffic direction lane.  See, the thing is I don't mind lane sharing (I ride motorcycles but don't do it) at lights and places where you are not impeding the flow of other drivers.  Have you ever been behind someone at the gate when they are stopped, digging for their ID, and usually take twice as long as vehicles to get moving?  The entitlement factor of this rider is amazing, meaning his time is more important than anyone else's.  Does the extra 30 seconds make a difference in the big picture?   Probably not, but it doesn't help the argument for lane splitting and motorcyclist's entitlement reputation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He actually saves YOU time by not being in the way.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg</a>

Nice2.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you understand the context of the situation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This Vespa need to get me to a V]sub]0[/sub] such that my parabolic arc gets me to ~105 KEAS before I run out of AGL.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This Vespa need to get me to a V]sub]0[/sub] such that my parabolic arc gets me to ~105 KEAS before I run out of AGL.  

High side?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Yes.

316.209 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.—
(2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/316.209

Woops. i thought you said "Isn't lane splitting illegal"
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg

You killed your knobs!  

He don't need no stinkin' knobbies if it ain't gonna rain.  Velcro to dirt, or Velcro to asphalt?  I'm going to chose: Velcro to asphalt.  It's ok to slide on dirt, but there's a much greater penalty for sliding on asphalt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top