BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's always so much butt-hurt in lane-splitting/sharing threads.

I wish I had my GoPro on today while I split thru thousands of cars on the 91 and the 55
just to post the video here and feel the love.
View Quote

Maybe I will post up some of mine from Houston
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]

I try to enforce as little traffic as possible.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Precicely, too much butthurt.

Well, we can all hate cyclists
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always thought it was a pretty dangerous practice.

It's not.

Banning it is stupid. And good luck chasing any violators in gridlock.

It's basically because the thermodynamics of air-cooled engines are different from water-cooled.

Never could figure out why it pissed people off. If you want that advantage then buy a bike and split lanes yourself.

Precicely, too much butthurt.

Well, we can all hate cyclists

Well we all have to hate somebody I guess.

Me I hate antigunners, those that trample on the constitution, and anyone that thinks they deserve something because of their position in this life.

I figure we are all gun people here but we sure don't agree on much.

You have a nice day sir.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
all the lane splitting haters here would lose their minds in Europe.  Italy has cutie girls on Vespas ripping down double yellows between opposing dump trucks.  If more Americans rode two wheels, lane splitting would be common place.  In traffic jams it removes vehicles from clogged flow.  But please continue with the petty jealousy and stories of a few random assholes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
California is probably the one of the best states for Motorcycle riders.

Lots of mountains and twisty roads, coast highways, and deserts if you like off roaring.  And lane splitting, and you can ride all year round, it barely rains.

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_112908_zpstd664uct.jpg</a>

I agree. the only thing wrong with California is its full of Californians.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
What a bunch of fgts in this thread: "wahh wahh that *looks* soooooooo dangerous, ban it!". They say the same thing about those black rifles we all love, the hypocrisy is astounding.

Jealous you're stuck sitting in your gas guzzling POS truck listening to your brat kids screaming and your fat wife nag you while the guy on the motorcycle zips by?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What a bunch of fgts in this thread: "wahh wahh that *looks* soooooooo dangerous, ban it!". They say the same thing about those black rifles we all love, the hypocrisy is astounding.

Jealous you're stuck sitting in your gas guzzling POS truck listening to your brat kids screaming and your fat wife nag you while the guy on the motorcycle zips by?
View Quote
Need a CoC violation ruling.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
always wish I'm on my bike when sitting in LA traffic and they're just cruising by
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
all the lane splitting haters here would lose their minds in Europe.  Italy has cutie girls on Vespas ripping down double yellows between opposing dump trucks.  If more Americans rode two wheels, lane splitting would be common place.  In traffic jams it removes vehicles from clogged flow.  But please continue with the petty jealousy and stories of a few random assholes.
View Quote

Yes they would.

It's sad to see people with a common goal dwelling on such minor shit as lane splitting........

Lessee.... what else is going on now.....oh fuck we're being invaded on several fronts,  civilian airliners are being shot down, European nations are being invaded by Russia......

On a positive note Israel is finally kicking the shit out of Hamas.

Something that's long overdue..........

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The worst splitters are the bike cops on the 91 between the 55 and the 15

I sit there in my van jealously wishing I was on my bike during my 1 to 1.5 hour time on there.

If I could carry my tools on it I would be on it every day!

Having said that I see 2 or 3 bikes a week down, every week,  so maybe I am better off in the van
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wish it where illegal. I hear its supposed to be regulated to certain times and speeds but they just blatantly split lanes at any speed any time they want.

Guess what traffic is, Its waiting in line. I don't go slow in my car because I can't fit. I'm fucking waiting in line. Just because a bike fits doesn't mean it should.
View Quote

Jealous statist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Both of the times in the last few years that I have been rear ended on my bike or the many, many times I was almost smashed by a dumbfuck with a cel phone glued to their cranium were in slow bumper to bumper traffic. Lane splitting would have saved me some grief and bike repairs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I sit there in my van jealously wishing I was on my bike during my 1 to 1.5 hour time on there.

Having said that I see 2 or 3 bikes a week down, every week,  so maybe I am better off in the van
View Quote

I know, right? If I could fit my ladders, tools, nitro, and oxyacetylene rig on my bike I would be the happiest motherfucker ever.

Would make lanesplitting impossible though...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Lane splitters never really bother me. I'm cool with it, but it's always that one douche who ruins it for everyone. Guy who takes mirrors off, or almost side swipes you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got passed by about a dozen lane-splitting motorcycles on the way home from work today, which is typical.  Traffic was slow as usual.  I always move over to give them as much room as possible.  
View Quote

Pissed me off at first when I moved there then I got over myself and moved over for them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not.

no need to chase, get a pic of the license plate

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

People have no business riding side by side on roads where I live.  Perfectly safe and legal speeds for individual motorcyclists are ridiculously dangerous, if not impossible, for side by side riders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just depends on the conditions..... If you can't ride side by side, you're traveling way over the speed limit for that road.......

People have no business riding side by side on roads where I live.  Perfectly safe and legal speeds for individual motorcyclists are ridiculously dangerous, if not impossible, for side by side riders.

Wait, you're equating lane splitting/sharing with going around corners? That lane splitting/sharing is super dangerous and shouldn't be allowed because it's even more dangerous to do it around corners?

lol
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth isn't a COC violation
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No CoC violation, no members names were mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

And how do you identify the rider beyond a reasonable doubt?  No dept is going to spend the effort over a simple traffic infraction.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

They're going to have to pick him up with sponge one day.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is there anything in CA law that say that if you are overtaking a vehicle while sharing the same lane, that you have to yield right of way to that vehicle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

Is there anything in CA law that say that if you are overtaking a vehicle while sharing the same lane, that you have to yield right of way to that vehicle?

Basic Speed Law, Failure to Yield Right of Way.  Basically when you hit somebody or something that was there legally first, you were going to fast for the conditions.  Even sometimes if they were illegally there first and you hit them when they are stopped (this one is very situation dependent, you can't legally enter an intersection if you can't exit out and then you block traffic.  So the asshole turns left on an arrow but can't clear, you can't run into him when you get the green and he is still there)

22350. (This is the "Basic Speed Law"

No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

(Amended by Stats. 1963, Ch. 252.)  

The following deal with overtaking

The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicle and the traffic upon, and the condition of, the roadway.

(Enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3.)

(a) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle or a bicycle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left at a safe distance without interfering with the safe operation of the overtaken vehicle or bicycle, subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in this article.

(b) This section shall become inoperative on September 16, 2014, and, as of January 1, 2015, is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that becomes operative on or before January 1, 2015, deletes or extends the dates on which it becomes inoperative and is repealed.

(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 331, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2014. Inoperative on September 16, 2014. Repealed as of January 1, 2015, by its own provisions. See later operative version added by Sec. 2 of Ch. 331.)

(a) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left at a safe distance without interfering with the safe operation of the overtaken vehicle, subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in this article.

(b) This section shall become operative on September 16, 2014.

(Repealed (in Sec. 1) and added by Stats. 2013, Ch. 331, Sec. 2. Effective January 1, 2014. Section operative September 16, 2014, by its own provisions.)

Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

(Amended by Stats. 1999, Ch. 724, Sec. 40. Effective January 1, 2000.)

The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.

(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.

(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.

(d) Upon a one-way street.

(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.

The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.

(Amended by Stats. 2010, Ch. 491, Sec. 39. Effective January 1, 2011.)

(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting that movement in safety. In no event shall that movement be made by driving off the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

(b) This section does not prohibit the use of a bicycle in a bicycle lane or on a shoulder.

(Amended by Stats. 2010, Ch. 491, Sec. 40. Effective January 1, 2011.)
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#31]
quotes removed for last comment  
Always thought it was a pretty dangerous practice

It's not.

I'm no expert on traffic law, but lane splitting isn't lane sharing.

I't's actually pretty specific.. you're not allowed to exceed 5mph over the flow of traffic and no more than 25mph max while lane splitting. So lane splitting while traffic is going 60mph is definitely illegal.

It's not a do what you want law. The basis is that in gridlock motorcycles can move safely in between lanes while other cars are stopped or moving very slowly. And it's a correct, safe and practical practice.

Lane splitting when traffic is moving over 25mph is illegal.

But what's the statute that sets this?
  Ha...

Like many laws in CA, the multitude of inputs makes the bottom line unclear. When I looked into it I found several anecdotes, and what I've summarized is the basic outline for the "law" here in regards to lane splitting, as motorcycle riders and LE in CA understand it.

In my experience, lane splitting is legal when done "responsibly". The definition of responsible is no more than 5mph over the flow of traffic with a 25mph max speed.

Do guys exceed 25mph? All the time, and CHP mostly doesn't bother them. If you're riding like an asshole though, you're fishing for a ticket.

Kind of a common sense thing.. lanesplit rationally and you're G2G. Ride like an asshole and don't be surprised if you draw attention from ticket writers.

That's why the CHP took the guides down.  They didn't carry the weight of law and people were trying to use them as binding in court, and they aren't / weren't
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There is a law 22350 CVC, not specific to motorcycles but it can be used against someone lane splitting
View Quote

If they hit somebody or something

BTW, if somebody takes off your Tahoe side mirror and all the instructions on the internet says there is a plug right by the mirror inside.  Ummm not on mine ther wasn't.  Be prepared to splice and solder.  REMEMBER to feed the cables through the correct path BEFORE soldering the 5 wires.  And it was a car that did it, not a bike.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They like to take a Darwinian approach to Two Wheelers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never understood how so much stupid shit can be illegal in California yet lane splitting is legal.

They like to take a Darwinian approach to Two Wheelers.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Hell's Angels being formed here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not a personal attack - not a violation.

Just an acceptable level of disrespect and hate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a personal attack - not a violation.

Just an acceptable level of disrespect and hate.

LMAO!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#35]
3.  2.  Q.    Go!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#36]
If lane splitting were legal here, I would do it.  Stop & go traffic sucks balls when it's 100+ degrees out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Enough people will open doors to get out and stretch that the splitter would get stuck sooner or later.   It's like a law of the universe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not.

Enough people will open doors to get out and stretch that the splitter would get stuck sooner or later.   It's like a law of the universe.

I've lived here all my life & have never personally seen someone intentionally cut off a bike. A lot of people, including myself, will move over if traffic is slow to let them by.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yes, this state rocks for sport bikes. Sucks for dirt bikes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

California is probably the one of the best states for Motorcycle riders.

Lots of mountains and twisty roads, coast highways, and deserts if you like off roaring.  And lane splitting, and you can ride all year round, it barely rains.

Yes, this state rocks for sport bikes. Sucks for dirt bikes.
Unless you put a plate & baja kit on your dirt bike like me. It opens up a lot more riding areas.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm pro lane splitting, but anti california-prefixing "the" in front of highway numbers.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top