Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I rode a bike for a short while until it was stolen. I was nearly hit twice in a week, because people thinking they could squeeze passed me. Riding in the middle of the lane was much more safe.
http://gifshost.com/022011/1298914487_car-plows-through-cyclists.gif  

I guess that driver finally hit his breaking point and snapped!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The guy in the red shirt worried about getting his bike out of the way instead of just running to the side.

My guess is most of those people think the World Cup is better than the Super Bowl.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you think people that wear NFL, NHL or NBA jerseys are posers too?  At least the cyclists are wearing it while actually cycling, as opposed to wearing it while WATCHING the sport from the couch with a giant bucket of wings.

Cyclists buy those because they like the teams, and since they need a jersey for cycling, why not get one with their favorite team?  I don't see what's "posing" about it.

I also think that if you look closely, you'll find that many of them are NOT jerseys for professional teams, but are other things - like for example local cycling clubs, or jerseys/shorts from a sponsored ride (like a cancer ride, or a diabetes ride, or a MS ride, etc.).  Many people also wear colorful jerseys that are NOT from teams, but lots of other things - like their alma mater university, or a ar15.com boltface jersey, or their favorite beer, or army/navy/marines, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the very few times when it's entirely acceptable to roll coal.

Sidebar: Why do cyclists dress up like they're Lance Armstrong?  When I was racing cars, I didn't wear a firesuit that looked like Ayrton Senna's.

They don't.  Lance Armstrong dresses like a cyclist.  The clothes are way more comfortable and designed for performance.  

No one wants an abraded scrotum from saggy balls rubbing against sweaty, wadded up gym shorts and whitey tighties.

I don't think anyone has any trouble with people wearing properly fitting cycling clothing. The question is what is with all the crazy liveries from the pro race teams that everyone runs. I too have a proper fire suit and SA rated helmet for automotive racing, as do many of my friends. They are all plain jane with no crazy sponsor logos that aren't actually paying me anything all over.

Smells like poseur behavior to me...

Do you think people that wear NFL, NHL or NBA jerseys are posers too?  At least the cyclists are wearing it while actually cycling, as opposed to wearing it while WATCHING the sport from the couch with a giant bucket of wings.

Cyclists buy those because they like the teams, and since they need a jersey for cycling, why not get one with their favorite team?  I don't see what's "posing" about it.

I also think that if you look closely, you'll find that many of them are NOT jerseys for professional teams, but are other things - like for example local cycling clubs, or jerseys/shorts from a sponsored ride (like a cancer ride, or a diabetes ride, or a MS ride, etc.).  Many people also wear colorful jerseys that are NOT from teams, but lots of other things - like their alma mater university, or a ar15.com boltface jersey, or their favorite beer, or army/navy/marines, etc.

Your analogy about football is actually a good one, but not for the
reasons you're using it. If you see 30 guys playing a pick-up game for
fitness or fun, chances they are all wearing full uni's of their
favorite team or player? Probably zero, and if they did they would be
laughed at. I know, I play those games from time to time....9 out of 10
guys wear sweat pants and an old practice jersey, and the odd guy
wearing a Brett Favre #4 usually ONLY has that jersey on - not full FB
pants and cleats. I play in an underarmor t-shirt and jeans...that's pretty normal.

A more appropriate comparison is the full-realism airsofters who dress in full military garb (sometimes branch or unit specific). Those clothes have practicality, they're doing it out of homage, but what's the perception amongst many people who are outsiders? Dorks.

Same here. Sorry, even as a bicyclist, I know and accept it's dorky...to the rest of the world. No use for me getting in a twist over it, either wear that shit and accept I look like a goober, or buy subdued jerseys and shorts. It's not like they don't make them.

Like it or not, everything we wear conveys a message to society at large. If the message you're conveying to your garden variety passer by is "I think I'm in the Tour deFrance, but I'm really a dentist from Indianapolis", don't be surprised.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't stand selfish assholes like that.

I was riding my motorcycle up Decker Canyon Rd in Malibu and came aroud a corner in a 35mph zone, BAM 8 cyclists doing 4mph from the fog line to on the double yellow, had to swerve into the oncoming lane and still almost dumped my bike. I was doing the speed limit, had there been a car coming the other direction, I would have had to plow into the bikes.

All the roads around the Malibu hills are packed with cyclists on the weekends, no shoulders, blind corners, and 35-50mph speed limits. And yet there they are in all their self centered glory.

Not all of them are like that though, there is probably a solid 30% that ride to the right side of the lane.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Didn't happen to come to KS and do our TT too did you.  A guy from Texas said he had a bad experience at the TX TT and wanted a do over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll enjoy this: At the state time trial championships, I got stuck behind a piece of large farm equipment on a narrow country road. I tried to pass off the road, but he kept weaving. Then I realized he was so wide that he had to weave to miss the mailboxes. I finished last and the organizer told me to get fucked when I asked for a re-run. 6 hour drive, hotel accommodations, and my weekend, all ruined.

Didn't happen to come to KS and do our TT too did you.  A guy from Texas said he had a bad experience at the TX TT and wanted a do over.

No, that was my last one. I retired.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I rode a bike for a short while until it was stolen. I was nearly hit twice in a week, because people thinking they could squeeze passed me. Riding in the middle of the lane was much more safe.
View Quote

It's probably safer walking right down the middle of a crowded shopping isle, leaving your cart dead center as you move to the outsides to throw stuff in. Chances anyone will run into you are slim to none, but is it courteous to be a continual roadblock to faster traffic?

See, here's where entitlement comes into it and where I don't agree with bicyclists take on this. I ride 3 times a week or so, but when I'm on the road I get on the line or as far over on the berm as I can, and accept that I am going to have to deal with cars and trucks on their commute or travels. Many people are doing much more important things than me getting exercise.

If it's too dangerous for me, I can opt for a stationary bike, or find a bike path, or a less-traveled road, or I'll just walk. I refuse to be a hindrance to people.

I wish bicylcists would start looking at the road like this - because outside of very select areas where designated lanes exist for their modality, they are not meant for public travel amongst faster, heavier cars. Again, you pay no fees, licenses, registration, insurance, anything that puts you on equal footing to a motor vehicle. Yes, laws say you're a vehicle, but it says the same about a horse...and I think they don't belong on equal footing with a gravel truck or an SUV either.

We are guests on the road, we should make room for traffic not the other way around.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's probably safer walking right down the middle of a crowded shopping isle, leaving your cart dead center as you move to the outsides to throw stuff in. Chances anyone will run into you are slim to none, but is it courteous to be a continual roadblock to faster traffic?

See, here's where entitlement comes into it and where I don't agree with bicyclists take on this. I ride 3 times a week or so, but when I'm on the road I get on the line or as far over on the berm as I can, and accept that I am going to have to deal with cars and trucks on their commute or travels. Many people are doing much more important things than me getting exercise.

If it's too dangerous for me, I can opt for a stationary bike, or find a bike path, or a less-traveled road, or I'll just walk. I refuse to be a hindrance to people.

I wish bicylcists would start looking at the road like this - because outside of very select areas where designated lanes exist for their modality, they are not meant for public travel amongst faster, heavier cars. Again, you pay no fees, licenses, registration, insurance, anything that puts you on equal footing to a motor vehicle. Yes, laws say you're a vehicle, but it says the same about a horse...and I think they don't belong on equal footing with a gravel truck or an SUV either.

We are guests on the road, we should make room for traffic not the other way around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. It's two things,
Being courteous.  They demand that from drivers but don't return it.
Self Preservation!  Enough said about that....
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Holy shit you quote the law that allows them to avoid surface hazards and photo them spreading out to avoid the two square holes cut in the pavement to access/repair water lines.  White jersey guy on the left is still pointing at them to warn his buddies as they fan out to avoid them (except that one poor dumb bastard who's standing up as he bounces through them).  Those holes are plenty big to blow out a bicycle tire if you hit them blind.

Looks like a shitty suburban road with so many patches and holes they can't ride in a straight line without damaging their bikes.  We have roads like that too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Florida Statute here.

5)(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride in the lane marked for bicycle use or, if no lane is marked for bicycle use, as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
1. When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
3. When reasonably necessary to avoid any condition or potential conflict, including, but not limited to, a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian, animal, surface hazard, turn lane, or substandard-width lane, which makes it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge or within a bicycle lane. For the purposes of this subsection, a “substandard-width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

http://www.imgur.com/vw6VIBi.png

Holy shit you quote the law that allows them to avoid surface hazards and photo them spreading out to avoid the two square holes cut in the pavement to access/repair water lines.  White jersey guy on the left is still pointing at them to warn his buddies as they fan out to avoid them (except that one poor dumb bastard who's standing up as he bounces through them).  Those holes are plenty big to blow out a bicycle tire if you hit them blind.

Looks like a shitty suburban road with so many patches and holes they can't ride in a straight line without damaging their bikes.  We have roads like that too.

Whoa, whoa!  Careful with that logic!  You'll confuse the overweight fat fucks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Year old incident but...

HaHa

Police pulled over a total of 26 bicyclists Thursday around 7:30 p.m. after the group rode through the intersection of 69th Street and Oxford Road without stopping at a stop sign.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to live west of Austin near Hamilton Pool.  Cyclists were alway riding out there.  Lots of curves and hills.  It was almost a weekly occurrence that I would narrowly miss one of them, and I was actively watching for them.  Often times they would be riding single file and intentionally spread out when a car was coming.

Like my dad told me.  You have a right to ride you bike on the road, and you would be right, but you might also be dead right.  You might be within your rights, but if you are stupid exercising your right might get you killed.

Same with guns.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
GD really needs a thread about libertarian pitbulls that ride bikes getting shot by cops.

That'd bring down the f'n internet for sure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

GD really needs a thread about libertarian pitbulls that ride bikes getting shot by cops.

That'd bring down the f'n internet for sure.
View Quote

Can we have them wearing civil war uniforms, and they were on their way to an abortion clinic?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I used to be an avid cyclist, until riders like this pretty much ruined it for me and everyone else. Now everyone hates cyclists, and you know what? They've got good reason to.

They say it's for safety, but in reality it works in reverse. It's just like people doing the speed limit in the passing lane on the freeway. Pissing off everyone behind you does not make you safe.
View Quote

I despise them even more when I know they came out of counties (like Fairfax Co. here in Virginia) that have 100s of miles of bike trails they could use. Yet everywhere you see those assholes parked you see Fairfax County stickers on their fag-mobiles.

Just look at all the places those filthy pieces of trash have to ride in Fairfax Co. alone.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/bikes2a.htm

But fuck no they think the bike trails they lobbied for are above them and they trek to "the country" to pester the locals. Fuck them.

I swear one evening I came around a curve on a country road after dove hunting and there was a couple of those pukes stopped in the fucking road talking!  After I swallowed my heart the best I could muster was just to flip them off.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I see 5 or 6 possible tickets there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Florida Statute here.

5)(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride in the lane marked for bicycle use or, if no lane is marked for bicycle use, as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
1. When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
3. When reasonably necessary to avoid any condition or potential conflict, including, but not limited to, a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian, animal, surface hazard, turn lane, or substandard-width lane, which makes it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge or within a bicycle lane. For the purposes of this subsection, a “substandard-width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
View Quote

http://www.imgur.com/vw6VIBi.png
View Quote

Do any of the noted exceptions, that you conveniently chose to ignore,  apply to scene shown in the picture you did choose to include?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Year old incident but...

HaHa

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Year old incident but...

HaHa

Police pulled over a total of 26 bicyclists Thursday around 7:30 p.m. after the group rode through the intersection of 69th Street and Oxford Road without stopping at a stop sign.

http://www.imgur.com/Pg56Wvz.jpeg

Good.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I despise them even more when I know they came out of counties (like Fairfax Co. here in Virginia) that have 100s of miles of bike trails they could use. Yet everywhere you see those assholes parked you see Fairfax County stickers on their fag-mobiles.

Just look at all the places those filthy pieces of trash have to ride in Fairfax Co. alone.

But fuck no they think the bike trails they lobbied for are above them and they trek to "the country" to pester the locals. Fuck them.

I swear one evening I came around a curve on a country road after dove hunting and there was a couple of those pukes stopped in the fucking road talking!  After I swallowed my heart the best I could muster was just to flip them off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to be an avid cyclist, until riders like this pretty much ruined it for me and everyone else. Now everyone hates cyclists, and you know what? They've got good reason to.

They say it's for safety, but in reality it works in reverse. It's just like people doing the speed limit in the passing lane on the freeway. Pissing off everyone behind you does not make you safe.

Don't get me started on that. I live in a county with beautiful bike trails - 50 miles of them, most are very scenic too. Roadies won't ride them. My friends who ride won't ride them with me. Why? "Man, I'm not putting up with pedestrians and kids on play bikes and shit" or "I can't go fast enough".

Smell the irony there? They're perfectly willing to go out onto major highways and slow traffic down, force others to contend with them, sometimes ALONG A FUCKING ROAD WHERE A BIKE PATH parallels, without regard to the fact that they are the EXACT same type of hindrance as a stroller-pushing-mom is on their bike path.

Worse, as I said above they'll avoid the risk of hitting a dog or a jogger at 18mph and subject themselves to huge metal vehicles weighing thousands of pounds, travelling at speeds that will kill them.

That's just fucking lunacy....but really what it says to me is that in cases where they opt for the road instead of a good fast bike path they aren't in it for the reasons they say they are. They wan to be seen, in people's way, and don't really care about their impact on others.

That's not every bicyclist, don't get me wrong, but I see it first hand in my area.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The guy in the red shirt worried about getting his bike out of the way instead of just running to the side.

My guess is most of those people think the World Cup is better than the Super Bowl.
View Quote

At least the team who wins the World Cup has actually played other teams from around the world.

How on earth can the winner of the Super Bowl call themselves World Champs?

I ride on and off road bikes and watch soccer and football.

Have I just divided by 0?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Meh, sooner or later physics and morons will meet.

TXL
View Quote

This^

They will be acquainted my theory of " Right but still dead", something I have seen demonstrated hundreds of times during my 23 years as a firefighter /emt.

I ride 25+ miles a week on a bike, and avoid roads like the plague. If I do have to ride in the street, I hug the edge.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#21]
They're doing it for the CHILDREN!  Of course they don't let their own children ride bikes, and instead herd them around to Lacrosse and soccer practice in dinosaur guzzling SUVs and Minivans, but that's their entitlement. After all, they have a right to use the road too!!1!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Smell the irony there? They're perfectly willing to go out onto major highways and slow traffic down, force others to contend with them, sometimes ALONG A FUCKING ROAD WHERE A BIKE PATH parallels, without regard to the fact that they are the EXACT same type of hindrance as a stroller-pushing-mom is on their bike path.

View Quote

Yep. That's the mentality. You nailed it.

I can't speak for other places, but it doesn't take much effort to find a wide-open bike path around here, and I live in the city. If you're a serious cyclist, riding to an area you can stretch your legs out on shouldn't be an issue. Frankly, I can't even remember a time I got held up by anyone enough to ruin my workout.  It's not like you can't just pass them on the left when the opportunity presents itself, just like any other motorist would have to do when encountering slower traffic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Needs more rolling coal and air horns
View Quote

This would be an appropriate use of rolling coal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Want to claim "full rights as a vehicle" when it comes to right-of-way? Fine.

Play by all the Rules of the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Year old incident but...

HaHa

I pulled over a cyclist once. He was very indignant- not a surprise. He was intentionally slowing up traffic and blew through a stop light. He kept telling me "but I'm on a bike!"

I told him he could either be a vehicle or not- his choice. If he was not a vehicle I was going to write him for obstructing traffic. If he was a vehicle I was going to write him for the stop light.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Year old incident but...

HaHa

Like all motor vehicle drivers do?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Year old incident but...

HaHa

In case you haven't noticed, we routinely bitch about other drivers, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even close to same level of "passion".
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuck bicyclist that ride side by side to block the lane, ride on the top of the white line when there is a paved bike lane, don't heed to traffic laws, or ride on narrow unsafe blind corner roads. You are an ass hat, and I can't wait till Darwin catches up to you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because all of us know that other drivers, no matter what stupidity they display, are out there doing the same things we are, in vehicles designed and meant for our roads - going to work, delivering things, picking up kids from school. There are dumb fucks galore, but they are not recreationalists shitting up the flow of traffic by pretending they stand on equal measure to us. It's easy to be more frustrated with someone who gets off on being in your way than someone who does it by sheer ignorance or accident.

Surely you understand that, no?

And, because bicyclists are growing in popularity and number, this is giving rise to even more frustration as more and more feel entitled to be a rolling roadblock looking for the negativity they're bound to create so they can be offended.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bicycles are a menace.
View Quote

And taking photos through the windshield while driving isn't?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone has any trouble with people wearing properly fitting cycling clothing. The question is what is with all the crazy liveries from the pro race teams that everyone runs. I too have a proper fire suit and SA rated helmet for automotive racing, as do many of my friends. They are all plain jane with no crazy sponsor logos that aren't actually paying me anything all over.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sidebar: Why do cyclists dress up like they're Lance Armstrong?  When I was racing cars, I didn't wear a firesuit that looked like Ayrton Senna's.

They don't.  Lance Armstrong dresses like a cyclist.  The clothes are way more comfortable and designed for performance.  
No one wants an abraded scrotum from saggy balls rubbing against sweaty, wadded up gym shorts and whitey tighties.

Good grief, I think half of the haters are closet meat gazers.  Know how I know???  Stop checking out my ass or my moobs in my poseurwear.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you missed a left-lane camping thread?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bicycles are a menace.

Mine is dash-mounted.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

no, people that bike like that are dicks. I ride all the time, single file
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bicycles are a menace.

no, people that bike like that are dicks. I ride all the time, single file

Because you're not an inconsiderate prick.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Good grief, I think half of the haters are closet meat gazers.  Know how I know???  Stop checking out my ass or my moobs in my poseur wear.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/rothroq/DSCN2828edit-Copy_zpsb15bd039.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good grief, I think half of the haters are closet meat gazers.  Know how I know???  Stop checking out my ass or my moobs in my poseur wear.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/rothroq/DSCN2828edit-Copy_zpsb15bd039.jpg

See, once again your victims' complex is getting in the way.

I think those jersey's are pretty cool. You aren't playing "dress up and pretend to be Lance Armstrong".

The ones that give me a good belly laugh fairly frequently are the gaggles of chubby asshats I see around here dressed up in full USPS or Team Discovery livery all the way down to the "official" team shoes, clips and pedals while struggling to maintain steerage pace up the mild hills in town...

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

double yellow line. No passing zone.  Sounds like OP is the dick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

double yellow line. No passing zone.  Sounds like OP is the dick.

You's trollin.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I saw the height of irony once. A gaggle of those spandex wearing fags stuck on a narrow country road behind a tractor/hay-bailer.

I really enjoyed following that mess. The fags finally gave up and stopped. When I got behind the hay-bailer he pulled over at the next driveway and waved me by.

Now that was some major Farmer John trolling.  
View Quote

You remind me of Archie Bunker.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#40]
What's their argument for this being legal?

They seem to be clearly impeding traffic (if under the speed limit).

Genuinely curious what the response is from bikers, not shit stirring.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I ride on the far right. I dont want to be run over!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think those jersey's are pretty cool. You aren't playing "dress up and pretend to be Lance Armstrong".

The ones that give me a good belly laugh fairly frequently are the gaggles of chubby asshats I see around here dressed up in full USPS or Team Discovery livery all the way down to the "official" team shoes, clips and pedals while struggling to maintain steerage pace up the mild hills in town...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd wear Armed Forces logoed attire but anticyclist meat gazers would scream stolen valor.  And yeah, I'm that fatty, 3lbs of hamburger in a 1lb spandex tube chugging along at a blistering 13mph.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#43]
That is normal in Lancaster County PA.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I saw the height of irony once. A gaggle of those spandex wearing fags stuck on a narrow country road behind a tractor/hay-bailer.

I really enjoyed following that mess. The fags finally gave up and stopped. When I got behind the hay-bailer he pulled over at the next driveway and waved me by.

View Quote

Was it a Deere 5425 with a BFL on the rear cab window?

I get Illinois Bicycle fags out here in the middle of fucking nowhwere, acting like they are back home in thier fucktard state on our back roads.
Giving room to the other guy is the normal MO around here, and local folks are typical midwest polite to a fault, and here's these Bicycle tards trying to play alpha games with a gent operating a rolling landslide.

When the impliment you are hauling or transporting on a tractor takes up 1.5 lanes it's like a video game. Get over to let oncoming traffic get by between mailboxes, or pull over and let following traffic by, on shoulders that aren't too soft, and without trashing the road or someones lawn or drive culvert.

The dickheads on the Bicycles insist on putting themselves in bad spots, following too close, or getting between the shoulder and the tractor.
Every year, one or two get tangled up in somebodys planter, or chisel plow, and I have had a couple run up under our harvester when I had to stop short.

As a group, they aren't bright, or at the very least, flunked physics. Hay trailers waggle like a bastard and don't give a shit about anything but the road crown.
Some are decent and get the fuck over, or pass when motioned to do so, but they are the appreciated exception.

What makes it worse, is the 60 Mile Bicycle trail they are free to use any time, and they wouldn't be tying up traffic, or risking getting thier punk ass squished.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In Iowa, if RAGBRAI comes through your town, you are out of options as a motorist. They rule the fucking road, and I can't think of a more poignant and scary example of Groupthink and mob mentality. Thousands upon thousands of bikers owning the roads. They're completely intolerant of vehicles.

A couple years ago, they overnighted in my town. A high school friend of mine was doing the ride and called me up to see if I could come and pick him and his wife up as they were too tired to make it into town. I headed out to the 2-lane country highway thinking, "the bikers will be heading east into town, so the westbound lane should be a breeze. Ohhhh, no. They took up the ENTIRE highway, knowing full well that the highway was open to motorists. They just didn't fucking give a shit.

Even cresting hills I would encounter hundreds of bikes in my lane, coming right at me. They were a mixture of shocked and pissed off to see a 6,000lb truck in front of them, yet in its own lane. They yelled and cursed at me. I did 20mph the entire way and came close to hitting at least 200 of them. It was unbelievable and something I'll never do again. It's typically a great group of people, but I was scared at the collective Groupthink.
View Quote

I fucking hate RAGBRAI! Best bet if they come through is to go on vacation if you are in a overnight town, and your place is away from where they are staying.

However, if they are near your place, or you live on the route best to stay home. My parents place, (where I grew up) is on a state highway in IA that isn't super busy, but busy enough, and they still were in the other lane. We have a huge front yard, all grass, huge shade trees. Doesn't matter that our place was only 1/2 mile out of town for their stop, hundreds wanted to stop and rest under the trees. For that day though, I put up plenty of no trespassing signs and told them to leave as I saw them. I also made it a point to haul chicken manure that day, to the field across the road. It's manure, I may have spilled some on the road

I'm not surprised they didn't get out of your way, they won't hardly get out of the way for a semi.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Juts got back from a 30 person group ride. We take our shit seriously here and stay out of the lane as much as humanly possible.

It helps that AZ is bicycling friendly and builds roads that look like this:

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bicycles are a menace.

Picture was taken by the non-driving passenger
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is awesome!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good grief, I think half of the haters are closet meat gazers.  Know how I know???  Stop checking out my ass or my moobs in my poseurwear.

View Quote

oooh i like those
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top