Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I read through page 4. My time is too important , I can't stand to be inconvenienced by other folks.

On the interstate home today, some asshole in the left-most lane kept me at 65 mph! It was wide-open in front, but they had to bunch together, for miles and miles.

I try to GD, but come on. Arms race!

I still singly ride as right as practical and follow laws accordingly. Also, run against traffic in street instead of sidewalk.

Get over it!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I ALWAYS give cars the right away. Yea, it friggin sucks turning on the side of the road and go into a ditch or something, bumping into a rock, etc. Do these cyclists not understand the power behind the 2k lbs machine?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fucking hate those people
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hate dickheads that "roll coal" but if ever there was a justification to do so, this would be it.
View Quote

This too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

double yellow line. No passing zone.  Sounds like OP is the dick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Are you running inboards or outboards on the trolling rig of yours?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#6]
In for the butthurt.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Juts got back from a 30 person group ride. We take our shit seriously here and stay out of the lane as much as humanly possible.

It helps that AZ is bicycling friendly and builds roads that look like this:

View Quote

Wow, this is what we should have everywhere.  Or paths that run entirely off the road but parallel.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OP needs to get the law changed.  Bicycles have the same rights as cars in most states.  I have less trouble with bicycles than motorcycles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP needs to get the law changed.  Bicycles have the same rights as cars in most states.  I have less trouble with bicycles than motorcycles.

You aren't allowed to obstruct traffic with a car, either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
In N Colorado and Wyoming you have these fuckers on the shoulder of a 75mph Interstate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just as a point of clarification - almost ALL of the hate on arfcom for "cyclists" are for people on ROAD BIKES - and most of those "100s of miles of bike trails" are not suitable for road bikes.  There still are some excellent paved trails, but it's not that many.  When I added up the trails on your list, it's about 20 miles of asphalt.  The O&D trail is excellent (and connects to the Custis trail), but I don't see it mentioned.  

Don't get me wrong - I am not defending those who are inconsiderate assholes - but the suggestion of 100s of miles of trails for road bikers in Fairfax Co. is incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to be an avid cyclist, until riders like this pretty much ruined it for me and everyone else. Now everyone hates cyclists, and you know what? They've got good reason to.

They say it's for safety, but in reality it works in reverse. It's just like people doing the speed limit in the passing lane on the freeway. Pissing off everyone behind you does not make you safe.

I despise them even more when I know they came out of counties (like Fairfax Co. here in Virginia) that have 100s of miles of bike trails they could use. Yet everywhere you see those assholes parked you see Fairfax County stickers on their fag-mobiles.

Just look at all the places those filthy pieces of trash have to ride in Fairfax Co. alone.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/bikes2a.htm

But fuck no they think the bike trails they lobbied for are above them and they trek to "the country" to pester the locals. Fuck them.

I swear one evening I came around a curve on a country road after dove hunting and there was a couple of those pukes stopped in the fucking road talking!  After I swallowed my heart the best I could muster was just to flip them off.

Just as a point of clarification - almost ALL of the hate on arfcom for "cyclists" are for people on ROAD BIKES - and most of those "100s of miles of bike trails" are not suitable for road bikes.  There still are some excellent paved trails, but it's not that many.  When I added up the trails on your list, it's about 20 miles of asphalt.  The O&D trail is excellent (and connects to the Custis trail), but I don't see it mentioned.  

Don't get me wrong - I am not defending those who are inconsiderate assholes - but the suggestion of 100s of miles of trails for road bikers in Fairfax Co. is incorrect.

I ride on the road more than off the road on my Mountain Bike.
I always ride close to the curb.
I do NOT want to win a Darwin Award.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
That's why they make those big old black smoke belching stinky diesels.  

That is one of the few things I miss about my K5/6.2 liter diesel.  Catch a break in the oncoming traffic and put the pedal down.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago, I came over a hill to a group of bicycles completely blocking the road, both lanes, all the way across.  I laid on my horns and finally enough moved I could get by, but those idiots were suicidal, riding over the crests of hills, totally blind to oncoming traffic and on the wrong side of the road, one accident could have easily killed 5 or 6 of them, really stupid!
View Quote

You should be here for the "Assault on Mt. Mitchell".  Or the two months leading up the event for that matter.  Two miles an hour going up steep, narrow mountain roads with blind curves.  It a miracle more of them aren't killed.  Any other time it's not that big a deal as most will ride responsibly but the training for/and the event bring tards from all over.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#15]
arrogant fuckers...... turn them into speedbumps. It's times like that I wish I had a train horn in my truck. Coast up on them and scare the life out of them.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
arrogant fuckers...... turn them into speedbumps. It's times like that I wish I had a train horn in my truck. Coast up on them and scare the life out of them.

View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've always wondered why cyclists have to ride WITH traffic and not AGAINST it like runners...seems it would be safer and cyclists would be able to react faster if they were like in the middle of the road and saw oncoming traffic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I see that shit almost every day.
View Quote

Way TOO MANY of those assholes in Charlotte NC!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In N Colorado and Wyoming you have these fuckers on the shoulder of a 75mph Interstate.
View Quote

80mph now
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

80mph now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

80mph now

In VA bicycles aren't allowed on the Interstate.  Neither are pedestrians or scooters.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Most likely nieghbors... this was at 0730 and I was trying to get to work. This is a common occurrence 2-3 times a week.

Speed limit is 30mph and they were barely 10mph and they were 4 abreast before the "surface hazard". This is normal for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double yellow line, you could not legally pass them on that section of street if you wanted. You would be breaking the law if you did.

Looks like they are riding through a neighborhood down a residential street. Is that your neighborhood? Chances are those are your neighbors.

Assuming they were riding 15-20 mph, where were you in a big hurry to get to in your own vehicle?

Most likely nieghbors... this was at 0730 and I was trying to get to work. This is a common occurrence 2-3 times a week.

Speed limit is 30mph and they were barely 10mph and they were 4 abreast before the "surface hazard". This is normal for them.

Were you being driven to work? Because the photo you posted is from the passenger seat.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if they were riding single file, there is not enough space to allow a car to pass without breaking the double yellow line.  Why should they invite cars to break the law?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wow, this is what we should have everywhere.  Or paths that run entirely off a cliff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Juts got back from a 30 person group ride. We take our shit seriously here and stay out of the lane as much as humanly possible.

It helps that AZ is bicycling friendly and builds roads that look like this:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh206/graham1775/Dec_010_zps5ae185b4.jpg

Wow, this is what we should have everywhere.  Or paths that run entirely off a cliff

FTFY
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Let us know how the "Well, the guy in the car wasn't following the rules either" defense works out when they're scraping you off someone's hood.  

The only people in my house who routinely use the "But he/she/they were doing it too!!" defense are pre-teens.
View Quote

Swing & a miss
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In VA bicycles aren't allowed on the Interstate.  Neither are pedestrians or scooters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

80mph now

Here you can ride them on the flat, straight interstates.

Try that shit in the mountain passes and a rampaging semi will pancake you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's because all of us know that other drivers, no matter what stupidity they display, are out there doing the same things we are, in vehicles designed and meant for our roads - going to work, delivering things, picking up kids from school. There are dumb fucks galore, but they are not recreationalists shitting up the flow of traffic by pretending they stand on equal measure to us. It's easy to be more frustrated with someone who gets off on being in your way than someone who does it by sheer ignorance or accident.

Surely you understand that, no?

And, because bicyclists are growing in popularity and number, this is giving rise to even more frustration as more and more feel entitled to be a rolling roadblock looking for the negativity they're bound to create so they can be offended.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In case you haven't noticed, we routinely bitch about other drivers, too.

Not even close to same level of "passion".

That's because all of us know that other drivers, no matter what stupidity they display, are out there doing the same things we are, in vehicles designed and meant for our roads - going to work, delivering things, picking up kids from school. There are dumb fucks galore, but they are not recreationalists shitting up the flow of traffic by pretending they stand on equal measure to us. It's easy to be more frustrated with someone who gets off on being in your way than someone who does it by sheer ignorance or accident.

And, because bicyclists are growing in popularity and number, this is giving rise to even more frustration as more and more feel entitled to be a rolling roadblock looking for the negativity they're bound to create so they can be offended.

I know plenty of folks that use a bicycle instead of a car for day to day travel not just recreation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Amen brother!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a cyclist and hate them, too.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, they're supposed to obey all rules of the road, so that would include riding with traffic.  The other issue is that if you're in a car, pulling out of a parking lot or something, you tend to look to your left - you're looking for oncoming traffic. If a bike is riding with traffic, you'll see them.  If they're riding against, you won't.  And then you run over some old lady on her bike like one of my clients did.  He was pulling out of a parking lot onto a one-way street - no reason at all to look right.  She was riding against traffic and came from the right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wondered why cyclists have to ride WITH traffic and not AGAINST it like runners...seems it would be safer and cyclists would be able to react faster if they were like in the middle of the road and saw oncoming traffic.

Well, they're supposed to obey all rules of the road, so that would include riding with traffic.  The other issue is that if you're in a car, pulling out of a parking lot or something, you tend to look to your left - you're looking for oncoming traffic. If a bike is riding with traffic, you'll see them.  If they're riding against, you won't.  And then you run over some old lady on her bike like one of my clients did.  He was pulling out of a parking lot onto a one-way street - no reason at all to look right.  She was riding against traffic and came from the right.

Did you enter a physics textbook as evidence?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#31]
friend of mine bikes, he was riding up hobble creek canyon a couple years ago, on the side of the road minding his own business.  truck pulling a horse trailer pulls up next to him, cusses him out and slowly runs him to the side of the road to where he had to jump off his bike.  he went home, got his valve stem remover, drove up the canyon and found the truck.  he removed all the valve stems from the truck and trailer.

several hours later he saw the tough guy cowboys walking their horses down the canyon. (he lived at the mouth of the canyon).

WIN
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#32]
What ghetto was that taken in because that the only place I see roads like that down here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Haha. It's the semi-weekly roadie hate thread of crying fatassery and high blood pressure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Narcissists will narcissist.

Assholes.
View Quote

Their road, their rules. Well at least Florida considers bicyclists regular traffic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Their road, their rules. Well at least Florida considers bicyclists regular traffic.
View Quote
Many Florida cyclists don't though. I used to ride but folks kept doing jackass shit and IMHO, earned the rage and hate. I said F that sold my road bike and got a mountain bike.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I know plenty of folks that use a bicycle instead of a car for day to day travel not just recreation.
View Quote

Do they ride 6-wide on a residential street in lycra outfits at 10mph, like self-centered "the world revolves around me" shitstains with their fellow bicycle commuters?

Or are they well adjusted, non passive aggressive, adult behaving, perfectly normal examples of courteous human beings, just trying to get to work?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#38]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#39]
vegas is fucking awesome for biking we have over 120 miles of trails just in the henderson area bike lanes on so many roads and wide shoulders on many of them without,
all the green spaghetti is official bike paths, not bike lanes but actual separate bike paths
</a>" />

you will die if you ride like the assholes in the op in this city.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Wisconsin bike law states riders should ride as far right as practicable, and can ride 2 abreast as long as they do not impede traffic.
Cars are required to give 3 feet of clearance when passing bikes.
Seems reasonable to me, now if only cyclists would uphold their part...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Florida cyclists don't though. I used to ride but folks kept doing jackass shit and IMHO, earned the rage and hate. I said F that sold my road bike and got a mountain bike.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Florida cyclists don't though. I used to ride but folks kept doing jackass shit and IMHO, earned the rage and hate. I said F that sold my road bike and got a mountain bike.  

I rode while on vacation down there last April.  In a nutshell, it scared the shit outta me.

The roads had no bike lanes and no room to the right of the white line. Basically, veer 2 inches to the right of the right line and you were in sand.

Drivers were afraid to pass me. They had all the room in the world, with no oncoming traffic, and yet they didn't pass.

Once I got back to my Mom's I thought about it and realized that in all my time down there, I rarely ever saw a cyclist...not counting the drunk weaving down the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate most people.  Easier that way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#43]
The herd is regularly thinned by Florida DUIs
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In case you haven't noticed, we routinely bitch about other drivers, too.

Not even close to same level of "passion".

And hopefully they ride like I did
when I rode a bike to work in college, I stayed the fuck out of traffic
as much as humanly possible because I'm not a car, I'm slower and mostly
in their way.

That said, bicycle commuters are statistical outliers. Most people commuting are in cars. Most people riding bicycles do so recreationally....I'm not going to re-engineer the world the argument for the outliers.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

vegas is fucking awesome for biking we have over 120 miles of trails just in the henderson area bike lanes on so many roads and wide shoulders on many of them without,

all the green spaghetti is official bike paths, not bike lanes but actual separate bike paths

http://<a href=http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/trailmap_zpsc465f618.jpg</a>" />

you will die if you ride like the assholes in the op in this city.
View Quote

That's awesome. I really wanna live there.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

WIN
View Quote

That's pay-per-view worthy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Maybe you need to explain a little more.

Considering they are riding on what appears to be a neighborhood street, and wearing helmets with the wind making it hard to hear, they may not hear you stalking them.

A tap on the horn usually gets them to one side, allowing you to pass safely.

Or, they are just being dicks.

Your lack of info is staggering and one sided.
View Quote

I'm going with this...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm going with this...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe you need to explain a little more.

Considering they are riding on what appears to be a neighborhood street, and wearing helmets with the wind making it hard to hear, they may not hear you stalking them.

A tap on the horn usually gets them to one side, allowing you to pass safely.

Or, they are just being dicks.

Your lack of info is staggering and one sided.

I'm going with this...

Here in Madison WI, where the city is striving to be the most bike friendly city in the universe, where the bike paths are cleared of snow before the roads...
If you honk at bikers doing that, you might get reported to the police!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Look at the road beyond that sign, not much choice there.

Most places? Room to GTFO of the way. I know, I employ this technique a lot so I don't roll along slowing the world down like a self-important dick.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top