[#1]
Red Wings, standing by

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
General Products #5 hull?
View Quote

GP only made 4 hulls.  And then Beowulf found out the Core was exploding and they closed shop.  The price of GP hulls has gone through the ROOF!

They've still got the manufacturing facility, but shipping will be expensive from the Fleet, that is if you can get the Trinocs/Kzinti/ARM to approve a transfer, and then without the Type II hyperdrive it'll take decades to arrive.  Unless you can afford an Outsider ferry fee.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Red Tube, standing by.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here is what I see and how I see it. If so, major failure though I will award minor points for not using CGI.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ailpw8.png

Meh, you might have to zoom it in. But, if too lazy, see below.

1.   That vertical line?? There will be no wing splitting from that line to the fuselage.

2.  That oval? Note the line running through it. That is where the wing splits. Not on the leading edge like before, but down the middle of the wing!

3.   See how top/bottom friggin lasers  curve down and up?? Wing split along line in oval, one half goes down, other half goes up.

View Quote

DING DING DING! I came to a similar conclusion, you beat me to it!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

X-Wing is trans atmospheric. GTFO.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks retarded. Air intakes for spacecraft?

And why a 1940esque canopy instead of a bubble one ?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they were designed a long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... and in a galaxy far, far away.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looks to me like everything except the one piece he put his hand on is CGI

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone else notice that that the nose, wings and the majority of the body of the X-Wing appears to be computer generated?  At least it looks like that on my screen...

Looks to me like everything except the one piece he put his hand on is CGI

Agreed
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm going with Z-95X!

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/53/Z-95X.jpg

View Quote

Blow my mind, you did.  Yes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Star Wars version of the F-35......
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is what I see and how I see it. If so, major failure though I will award minor points for not using CGI.

1.   That vertical line?? There will be no wing splitting from that line to the fuselage.

2.  That oval? Note the line running through it. That is where the wing splits. Not on the leading edge like before, but down the middle of the wing!

3.   See how top/bottom friggin lasers  curve down and up?? Wing split along line in oval, one half goes down, other half goes up.

View Quote

I agree, that's the only way it could work. Why is this a major failure if you have possibly decoded how it works?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm no expert but I never seen where a Tie fighter needed a chode bot in the back to fix it's self. X wings seem like shit tier to me.
View Quote

Small spacecraft with no hyperdrive designed to defend areas around a big ship, vs. self-sufficient starfighter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

On the off chance you're not just being sarcastic, it's because the space shuttle was designed to land like a conventional airplane. There bottom was an ablative heat shield, and the wings provided enough lift for it to coast in and land horizontally.

In contrast, consider the Apollo, Mercury, and Gemini command modules. They didn't have any sort of airfoil or control surface, because they were designed so that they needed attitude control only in vacuum.
View Quote

And the design of the space shuttle didn't change hardly at all during 30yrs of service.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My vast knowledge of Star Wars spacecraft was accumulated by playing every X-Wing and TIE Fighter ever made and piloting my own player built ship in SWG: Jump to Lightspeed. If I can be hopeful for one single thing that may be spawned by new movies is that among all the random clothing, toys, breakfast cereals and other merchandise we may get some more space combat sims. Of course, this could easily backfire with a game rushed through production to pander to console peasants.
View Quote

Honestly, for me, the movie is secondary to this.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]

i rost!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Standing by....
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He went with the Ralph McQuarrie concept. Cool.

I still have the Art of Star Wars on my book shelf.
View Quote

I do as well!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Red Sonja- Standing by
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I agree, that's the only way it could work. Why is this a major failure if you have possibly decoded how it works?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.   See how the top/bottom friggin lasers  curve down and up?? Wing split along line in oval, one half goes down, other half goes up.

Personally, I just don't think it will look that much like an X-wing, to me. I think the S foils will be pretty small and not have that distinctive X 'look'.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My vast knowledge of Star Wars spacecraft was accumulated by playing every X-Wing and TIE Fighter ever made and piloting my own player built ship in SWG: Jump to Lightspeed. If I can be hopeful for one single thing that may be spawned by new movies is that among all the random clothing, toys, breakfast cereals and other merchandise we may get some more space combat sims. Of course, this could easily backfire with a game rushed through production to pander to console peasants.

And DICE is working on Battlefront 3 right fucking now. This will be good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Why do explosions make noise in space?  Why do laser cannon blasts travel at a speed which is perceptibly slower than the speed of light?  Such questions don't need to be answer in the Science Fantasy genre.  

I can and will suspend my disbelief for Star Wars.  

I agree that the old design is timeless and would have been happy to see all the old designs come back.  All things considered, this looks pretty good though.  It's infinitely more "Star Wars" looking than anything in the New Trilogy.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, how does a turbine spin when it's cut in half?  Does it just reattach itself when the S-foils are closed?  Whether practical or not, I think it looks plain ugly.  The old design was better. IMO

http://absolventi.gymcheb.cz/2008/tovins/obrazky/xwing.jpg

Why do explosions make noise in space?  Why do laser cannon blasts travel at a speed which is perceptibly slower than the speed of light?  Such questions don't need to be answer in the Science Fantasy genre.  

I can and will suspend my disbelief for Star Wars.  

I agree that the old design is timeless and would have been happy to see all the old designs come back.  All things considered, this looks pretty good though.  It's infinitely more "Star Wars" looking than anything in the New Trilogy.  

That's why I loved BSG bullets and missiles , I am a complete and utter whore for tracers in movies/tv/etc  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Personally, I just don't think it will look that much like an X-wing, to me. I think the S foils will be pretty small and not have that distinctive X 'look'.
View Quote

Someone in the youtube comments said the front of the wing overlaps to make it look like a single wing when closed.  I also noticed in the vid that, while the hull looks very similar, the nose seems a lot shorter than the original X-Wng, and the ass end tapers off.  It'll be interesting to see it in the movie, although I'd just wish they kept the original designs, which are timeless.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Just standing here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95
View Quote

My first thought
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#25]
back end looks very narrow and i don't like the engines that look like they're split in half... those were full engines in the originals..
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I kinda wanna donate 10 bucks to see if my 1 entry would be enough to get in the movie

I never win that kinda stuff anyway but why not.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#27]
RED BULL, standing by.......you geeks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I posted on page one, it is a Z-95. NOT an X-wing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Red Forman standing by .......

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I would love to see them show Pink Five.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Someone in the youtube comments said the front of the wing overlaps to make it look like a single wing when closed.  I also noticed in the vid that, while the hull looks very similar, the nose seems a lot shorter than the original X-Wng, and the ass end tapers off.  It'll be interesting to see it in the movie, although I'd just wish they kept the original designs, which are timeless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense. To be honest I wouldnt be happy if they just rolled out an exact replica, its been 30 years time moves on and designs change.

The f16 went from this

to this

in roughly the same time, I am sure the x wing would get similar treatment.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Red Peter standing by.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Red Hot Chilli Peppers standing by ........

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Red mace standing by

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an X-Wing according to Lucasfilm:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/21/lucasfilm-confirms-x-wing-fighter-and-not-z-95-headhunter-in-sta/  

Now stop being a know-it-all, and go with the flow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My first thought
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

My first thought

Agreed, but I believe that the Headhunter had one laser array per wing, so it's got to be an X-wing. I wish it was an E-wing or V-wing
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Redrum, standing by.

Edit:  Beaten on page 2.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agreed, but I believe that the Headhunter had one laser array per wing, so it's got to be an X-wing. I wish it was an E-wing or V-wing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

My first thought

Broke my heart when they axed the Chiss Grand Admiral. Goddamned Lucas approving an EU then killing it off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#42]

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/21/lucasfilm-confirms-x-wing-fighter-and-not-z-95-headhunter-in-sta/  

View Quote

I don't care what they say, they can tier 1 the shit out of that Z-95 but it will never be an X-wing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Makes sense. To be honest I wouldnt be happy if they just rolled out an exact replica, its been 30 years time moves on and designs change.

The f16 went from this
http://www.f-16.net/g3/var/resizes/f-16-photos/album37/album05/aaj.jpg?m=1371898764

to this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/F-16e_block60.jpg/1024px-F-16e_block60.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The f16 went from this
http://www.f-16.net/g3/var/resizes/f-16-photos/album37/album05/aaj.jpg?m=1371898764

to this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/F-16e_block60.jpg/1024px-F-16e_block60.jpg

And that new F-16 looks like shit compared to the original.    
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'd fly it.

View Quote

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't care what they say, they can tier 1 the shit out of that Z-95 but it will never be an X-wing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think it's funny that he posted that video to get a charity kickstarter going but nobody cares about anything but the not-X-Wing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Broke my heart when they axed the Chiss Grand Admiral. Goddamned Lucas approving an EU then killing it off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

My first thought

That, Boba Fett not being Mandalore and the way Lucas retconned the Republic Commando series before it was even finished made me decide that I'm not going to see the new movies.

I know that my money ultimately means nothing, but I've spent thousands of dollars on Star Wars stuff over the years and will not give any more now that the things I liked the most didn't happen in the story and are irrelevant.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Red 2 standing by ..........

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Redd fox was already standing by....dummy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
The X-Wing has 4 fully rounded engines.  This looks like a Z-95.  Wouldn't make much sense to have a half-round turbine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't appear to be an X Wing at all, but rather a single wing craft.

I am getting the distinct impression a good percentage of ARFCom has never seen the Star Wars movies. "Lock S-foils to attack position"

The X-Wing has 4 fully rounded engines.  This looks like a Z-95.  Wouldn't make much sense to have a half-round turbine.
You have sort of a point, but don't get cocky.  A hell of a lot of aircraft with round axial turbines don't have round intakes or even round exhausts.   The round rotating parts of a turbine can be quite a bit smaller than the external cowling or housing.  

And air breathing scram or ram jets have no moving round turbine parts at all.  

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top