Wrong. This is Red 2.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Red Dwarf standing by ...........

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TIE Fighters are short range and have an on-board supply of fuel for the ion engines. Note the fuel tank at the bottom of the fuselage. Since they always operate from a base or mothership, it is not necessary to have ram scoops to collect fuel.

http://i60.tinypic.com/fd4q5y.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks retarded. Air intakes for spacecraft?

Ion intakes for ion propulsion.

TIE uses Ion and has no Air Intake.  LOL
TIE Fighters are short range and have an on-board supply of fuel for the ion engines. Note the fuel tank at the bottom of the fuselage. Since they always operate from a base or mothership, it is not necessary to have ram scoops to collect fuel.

http://i60.tinypic.com/fd4q5y.jpg

Keen!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Repulsor Engines allow the Falcon to fly Atmos.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The X-Wing being able to operate in a breathable atmosphere makes a lot more sense than the Millennium Falcon.

Pretty much ALL Star Wars craft have Repulsor Engines or they wouldn't be able to land, dock, park, etc..   It was all the Snowspeeder was.

I always thought the design of the Snowspeeder was cool, but the harpoon in the back made no sense.  would have been more interesting if it had ION cannons to disable targets.  The Snowspeeder was built up from a civilian utility craft, but why keep a harpoon?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

fuck yo begger wing.

Skipray or no play

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/images/4/42/Skipray-Blastboat14.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm hoping the B - Wing gets some play in the new movies.  What a magnificent ship.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080929233344/starwars/images/thumb/6/62/Bwing-E2_egvv.jpg/479px-Bwing-E2_egvv.jpg

fuck yo begger wing.

Skipray or no play

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/images/4/42/Skipray-Blastboat14.jpg

The Empire's B-Wing, along with the Assualt Gun Boat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pretty much ALL Star Wars craft have Repulsor Engines or they wouldn't be able to land, dock, park, etc..   It was all the Snowspeeder was.

http://customstarwars.x3.hu/focom/snowspeeder_attack_atats.jpg

I always thought the design of the Snowspeeder was cool, but the harpoon in the back made no sense.  would have been more interesting if it had ION cannons to disable targets.  The Snowspeeder was built up from a civilian utility craft, but why keep a harpoon?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The X-Wing being able to operate in a breathable atmosphere makes a lot more sense than the Millennium Falcon.

I would imagine to harvest food animals?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On Hoth?  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On Hoth?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

On Hoth?  

Madcap: I believe the (EU, if not strictly movie) canon answer is that the harpoon was part of a cargo handling system, as the snowspeeder was built from the equivalent of a space-forklift-truck.

RS: If we accept Madcap as being correct, it is also worth pointing out that the "snowspeeders" were heavily adapted versions of a standard airspeeder, which would be used in many other environments that could certainly support "food animals". There may have been other reasons why the benefits of keeping it outweighed the benefits in replacing it, but the key thing is that it was present before the Hoth conversion, not added because it was to be used on Hoth.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:24:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Standing by
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Darth Red Skull Standing by...  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:52:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Red Rocket Standing by!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Red Rocket Standing by!

http://i.imgur.com/11KjsIi.gif

View Quote

What the hell do you mean "milking the". OH MY GOD!!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does atmospheric flight as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Uh huh, then why does the Space Shuttle have wings then?

I attribute it to having a diverse role of being both a space interceptor and an atmospheric fighter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but are X-wings sapcecraft only? I thought I recalled seeing them flying in atmosphere in at least one scene. There's not reason they couldn't have airbreathing capabilities as well, is there?

There's also the matter of human psychology. Spacecraft don't need "wings" either, but no one seems to have a problem with that.

Uh huh, then why does the Space Shuttle have wings then?

I attribute it to having a diverse role of being both a space interceptor and an atmospheric fighter.

Duh, the wings are there to give spacial awareness to the door gunners as they engage.  Do you even engage in the deep black bro?

In reality the flying brick that is the shuttle needed the wings for its awesome reentry/ flight/ glide back to earth.  I got to touch one once.  I promptly fled back to my basement and fantasized with my legos about being an astronaut.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Funny thing.... Imperial TIE Fighters csn fly in atmo.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Standing by...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ask me why but I always thought the harpoons were considered field-expedient upgrades to the Speeders.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Red Snapper standing by

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
On Hoth?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On Hoth?  

There isn't enough life on that rock to fill a space cruiser.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Red FBHO standing by.

Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95
View Quote

I would agree with this. Perhaps it is an evolution / variant of the Z-95. I like to think of it as the Star Wars equivalent to the MiG-21. Sure, it is several generations behind the times, but it keeps getting modified and keeps fighting on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Standing by.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Redbone, standing by

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd fly it.

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

Since 1977 I thought he said "That'd injure a ship real quick".  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't a harpoon, but a tow cable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It was a civi cargo hauler.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:snip

It was a civi cargo hauler.

The Incom Corporation's T-47 was an atmospheric vehicle designed for industrial cargo handling. Its cockpit featured positions for a forward-facing pilot and a rear-facing cargo manager. The cargo manager used the airspeeder's magnetic harpoon and tow cable to control repulsorlift cargo modules.

Well that answers that!
(and why I phrased my answer in the form of a question)

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I wouldn't.  Stupid thing is missing its R2 unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd fly it.

I wouldn't.  Stupid thing is missing its R2 unit.
The astromech is removable. Although this particular ship just doesn't have one at the moment, but there is no reason to think it doesn't have the slot for one.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#30]
The whole "Atmo" thing was generally explained in that SW universe ships have Repulsorlifts for anti-grav at low altitudes, examples being T16, landspeeders, snowspeeders, speeder/swoop bikes, etc. At higher altitudes I believe they lose their effectiveness, at which point the ships seem to rely primarily on their sublight engines for thrust instead of aerodynamics for lift. Some of the callouts in the old diagram books would point out atmospheric control surfaces on the X-Wing and other ships, but honestly that was for the sake of un-moviefying it. It would make sense to me that most vessels simply relied on Repulsorlifts for initial low altitude liftoff and attitude adjustments, at which point sublight engines basically just negate the need for aerodynamics and lift by derp amounts of thrust. And for control it's not out of the question that thrust vectoring from the engines was available to perform the functions we generally achieve through a vertical tail and horizontal stabilizers, and maneuvering via rudder, elevator, and ailerons.

Compare an AV-8 Harrier doing a vertical takeoff and transitioning to level flight to the Falcon blasting out of Mos Eisley. Harrier will vector thrust 90 degrees downards for 100% vertical take off, and once sufficient altitude is achieved the pilot rotates the nozzles back, lifts the nose, and begins to gain airspeed. Falcon lifts off out of the docking bay, makes a rotation horizontally and also raises the "nose" of the ship, at which time the sublight engines roar and push the ship off at extremely high speed.

I'm curious to see if the "new" X-Wing is meant to be a "retro" redesign of the X-Wing, a new evolutionary model (ie. F-18C Hornet and F-18E Super Hornet) with concept sketch design as an "easter egg" to old skool fans, or what. It would be nice to see them still use the EU's visuals, as some of the ship designs were downright awesome, even if they are just easter eggs in the background like the Enterprise and Serenity appearing in Battlestar Gallactica. I'd love to see the Wild Karrde make a sneak appearance.

I also want to see:
Dreadnaught
Loronar Strike Cruiser
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#31]

During the New Jedi Order this is what Rouge Squadron was flying

Incom T65J X-Wing StarFighter

Would be cool to see the X-Wing's replacement fighter. The New Republic's E-Wing.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

During the New Jedi Order this is what Rouge Squadron was flying
View Quote

Incom T65J X-Wing StarFighter

Would be cool to see the X-Wing's replacement fighter. The New Republic's E-Wing.

Never really cared for the looks of the "E-Wing".

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Neither did I but woukd be cool to see it. I see the E-Wing like the F-20 Tiger Shark. Neat on paper but really didn't upgrade much.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He did an excellent job with Star Trek.

He'll do right by Star Wars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JJ couldn't just be happy jacking with Star Trek, now he's messing with Star Wars.

Next thing, they will cast friggin Ben Affleck as Batman.

Bigfeet

If Star Trek is going to be the measure of his approach to Star Wars then while the movies might be visually appealing, as stories they're going to suck terribly.  His two Star Trek movies were absurd, even if you'd never watched Star Trek before.

The fighter in the video looks like CGI to me, personally, based on the shadows and the way it looks when the cockpit opens, and also the way it's reflecting the light, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If Star Trek is going to be the measure of his approach to Star Wars then while the movies might be visually appealing, as stories they're going to suck terribly.  His two Star Trek movies were absurd, even if you'd never watched Star Trek before.

The fighter in the video looks like CGI to me, personally, based on the shadows and the way it looks when the cockpit opens, and also the way it's reflecting the light, but I could be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JJ couldn't just be happy jacking with Star Trek, now he's messing with Star Wars.

Bigfeet

Yep. Star Trek (from a writing and cinematography standpoint) was an abortion (ESPECIALLY 2), even if it was a decent summer action flick.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bigfeet

My hope is the fact that Disney now owns the rights that they are keeping this under proper control. I heard that they hired the writers from Empire.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Red, Simply standing by
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#40]
So I have been thinking about the Z95 Headhunter comments.  Wasn't the Z95 in the EU?

Which no longer exists?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

So I have been thinking about the Z95 Headhunter comments.  Wasn't the Z95 in the EU?
Which no longer exists?
View Quote
See... I think they simply stated that the EU now doesn't exist in connection with the movies. The EU had their canon removed. The EU is now known as Star Wars Legends.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The only ST movie that was worth a damn prior to the reboots was STWOK.

He did right, IMO. The only ones that cannot like the new ones are the die hard Trekkies that cannot wrap their head around the fact that 99% of the movies were suckage as were most seasons of the shows.

Only good ones were Deep Space 9, after the Dominion War started and season 4 of Enterprise. Next Gen had it's moments, but they were few and far between for a show that ran, what 7 years? Let's not mention Voyager.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigfeet

The only ST movie that was worth a damn prior to the reboots was STWOK.

He did right, IMO. The only ones that cannot like the new ones are the die hard Trekkies that cannot wrap their head around the fact that 99% of the movies were suckage as were most seasons of the shows.

Only good ones were Deep Space 9, after the Dominion War started and season 4 of Enterprise. Next Gen had it's moments, but they were few and far between for a show that ran, what 7 years? Let's not mention Voyager.

Even if one had never seen Start Trek before and knew nothing of them, the storylines and other aspects were absolute garbage.  Absurd is the right word for some of what was shown (such as the portrayal of what is supposed to be a military organization).  It was stupid and one can only hope that he is not taking that approach to Star Wars.  Decent score and good visual effects compared to other space movies and shows in the last ten years, but that's about it.  If all you want is a themed light show, I suppose that is an acceptable way to go about making movies, but if you want an actual story worth a damn, you can't do what he did with Star Trek.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Even if one had never seen Start Trek before and knew nothing of them, the storylines and other aspects were absolute garbage.  Absurd is the right word for some of what was shown (such as the portrayal of what is supposed to be a military organization).  It was stupid and one can only hope that he is not taking that approach to Star Wars.  Decent score and good visual effects compared to other space movies and shows in the last ten years, but that's about it.  If all you want is a themed light show, I suppose that is an acceptable way to go about making movies, but if you want an actual story worth a damn, you can't do what he did with Star Trek.
View Quote

Nobody could have done any better with Star Trek.  There's just shit there to work with, story wise.  Nobody is going to give a damn about a bunch of commie space hippies like the Federation.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm sorry, but I'm going to disagree with you.

You do realize that it was an alternate timeline as to what most trekkies with blinders on take as canon?

Abrams did pretty good with it, IMO.

I'm more worried about Disney being involved that Abrams. Disney is the true "evil empire" in my book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, but I'm going to disagree with you.

You do realize that it was an alternate timeline as to what most trekkies with blinders on take as canon?

Abrams did pretty good with it, IMO.

I'm more worried about Disney being involved that Abrams. Disney is the true "evil empire" in my book.

I'm not talking about the alternate timeline part and the effect on the timeline of the attack at the beginning of the movie would not have been such as to make everything else in the story make sense.  The story was simply stupid.  Don't really care what trekkies think about it one way or the other, I just think the story was stupid and at some points even absurd with the way "Starfleet" operates being one of the better and more obvious examples.  I'm sure if I cared much for continuity with the older movies and series where such continuity would be maintained in an alternate timeline as its nature was portrayed, there would be more to criticize (and knowing the story of Wrath of Khan, which I agree was a good movie even as a stand-alone, I can't help but scoff at the storyline of the second Abrams movie).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nobody could have done any better with Star Trek.  There's just shit there to work with, story wise.  Nobody is going to give a damn about a bunch of commie space hippies like the Federation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In terms of story, I find the former statement very hard to believe.  There are plenty of people out there who can write good stories that are not also incredibly juvenile and I'm sure they could do something with the Start Trek material.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In terms of story, I find the former statement very hard to believe.  There are plenty of people out there who can write good stories that are not also incredibly juvenile and I'm sure they could do something with the Start Trek material.
View Quote

Well, through a dozen or so movies and 87 zillion TV episodes, the entire world has only managed to write one good (Wrath of Khan) and a few more passable stories using the ST universe.... and metric shit-tonnes of garbage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, through a dozen or so movies and 87 zillion TV episodes, the entire world has only managed to write one good (Wrath of Khan) and a few more passable stories using the ST universe.... and metric shit-tonnes of garbage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never claimed any of them were involved to any substantial degree with the franchise formerly.  That doesn't change the fact that Abrams' writing was low, garbage level quality and that there were and are much better writers out there.

My hope regarding Star Wars is that Abrams will be having a minimal influence on writing or take a very different approach compared to Star Trek; if neither is the case, I think we're in for a movie that will be visually more appealing than the prequels. but which as a story will not be all that much better, in which case it will be shit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd fly it.

That's what the line was in 1977, Lucas changed it for the rereleases.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top