Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Disapointed. I was expecting a dude with an Aussie style hat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have only a couple of videos worthy of posting from yesterday. Too many ammo failures and again some issues with the "hammer follow" I discussed earlier. Still a good time getting out and sunburned.

Here is Madcap72 on my gun.

http://youtu.be/NUZy3faIegY

Disapointed. I was expecting a dude with an Aussie style hat.
LOL So was I...  but I forgot to grab my boonie...

Looks like...
We both got burned...

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So, for background to the video, that was the first time I have ever gotten to fire a bumpfire gun, and I was making rapid accurate hits at 550.

The thing is a beast.  

Skillets was keeping a group at a high cyclic rate at that distance, that is as good as many peoples slow fire groups at the same range.
From a conceptual standpoint I think it's really freaking effective and can see why the M27 IAR could be a lot more effective than a SAW.
View Quote

Do you even beltfed brah?

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, for background to the video, that was the first time I have ever gotten to fire a bumpfire gun, and I was making rapid accurate hits at 550.

The thing is a beast.  

Skillets was keeping a group at a high cyclic rate at that distance, that is as good as many peoples slow fire groups at the same range.
From a conceptual standpoint I think it's really freaking effective and can see why the M27 IAR could be a lot more effective than a SAW.

Who's beltfed setup is that?

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The thing is a beast.  

Not pictured in this photo is the bumper sticker saying "my other belt feed shoots hand grenades".

I'll take that over a 2 time marketing failure anytime.

Do you even belt feed, brah?

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hey skillet

I'm thinking about building up one of my AR's with a fostech stock along with a Geissele SD3G. I was wondering what is the best for this trigger and stock setup for the least amount of failures? A semi/full auto bolt carrier? And which buffer to go along with it a H1,H2 or H3

Also is there anyway you could post up a couple of pictures of your current setup?
View Quote
The issue is you can cycle the trigger too fast and outrun the carrier.  If I had the money I would run a boomfab titanium carrier with an H buffer.  I'm poor, so I'm running an AR-15 carrier and a standard carbine buffer.  I would prefer to use the lighter carrier with slightly more reciprocating weight, that would keep the carrier speed up while preventing bolt bounce.

I was running an M16 carrier with an H buffer and using the SD3G trigger.  I was getting hammer follow once or twice per mag when bumping the gun.

Some other changes I've made include a Tubb flatwire spring and I've switched to a JARD trigger for the slower lock time.  I haven't gotten to try out my changes yet though.  Hopefully this coming weekend I'll get some video.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The thing is a beast.  

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/996175_10152928065075346_2085322426_n.jpg

Not pictured in this photo is the bumper sticker saying "my other belt feed shoots hand grenades".

I'll take that over a 2 time marketing failure anytime.

Do you even belt feed, brah?

You got me.

Although I think the M27 should have been at least a belt fed.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

You got me.

Why?  It's a DM rifle that can shoot full auto, used in the Automatic Rifleman role.  

Having used SAW's, and having used Skillets gun that replicates the an IAR style rifle, I'd take an IAR is a fucking heartbeat.  Especially with something like that 60 round surefire mag.  
Everyone says SAW's are great for breaking contact (never had to, so no experience), Suppressing (which I have my own feelings on) or fixing enemy positions for a maneuver element to make contact.  

So, basically SAW's from a pragmatic standpoint are good at shooting dirt.
The IAR is good at shooting badguys, and if push comes to shove, dirt really close to the badguys.

ETA- also the IAR is a Marine specific rifle, and is filling the role the USMC originally intended for an automatic rifle.   The SAW was adopted because the ARMY got it, NOT because the SAW filled the role the Marines were looking for.  

I think the IAR should have been Ultimax-100, like it should have been in the 80's, but that of course is my armchair commando perspective.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you see any possible problem with the gun being able to move enough with a bipod like this, without damaging the bipod? What if I were shooting from a solid surface like a table as opposed to dirt?  

I have read where you modified the M60 bipod to allow for some give. Would that be necessary with this bipod?

ETA: I see where you answered this question with "dremel" a couple of post later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So badass. I really like the fostech. Could you do this with a shrike upper and a rail mounted bipod? How much difference is the rail vs. On the bbl?

The only reason my bipod is on the barrel now is that it was how the M60 bipod was designed to be. It has a classic look that (when offered to me by a poster here) I couldn't say no to.

I think if I were trying to do something more "modern carbine" looking, I'd probably use the GG&G bipod

http://www.primaryarms.com/v/vspfiles/photos/GGG-1125-2T.jpg

Do you see any possible problem with the gun being able to move enough with a bipod like this, without damaging the bipod? What if I were shooting from a solid surface like a table as opposed to dirt?  

I have read where you modified the M60 bipod to allow for some give. Would that be necessary with this bipod?

ETA: I see where you answered this question with "dremel" a couple of post later.
GG&G has two different bipods, the older XDS bipod uses a screw clamp and can be left loose where the bipod would move back and forward a small amount.  The new XDS-2 uses their accucam style mount and I'm not sure if it could be left loose or not.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You got me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

You got me.

Why?  It's a DM rifle that can shoot full auto, used in the Automatic Rifleman role.  

Having used SAW's, and having used Skillets gun that replicates the an IAR style rifle, I'd take an IAR is a fucking heartbeat.  Especially with something like that 60 round surefire mag.  
Everyone says SAW's are great for breaking contact (never had to, so no experience), Suppressing (which I have my own feelings on) or fixing enemy positions for a maneuver element to make contact.  

So, basically SAW's from a pragmatic standpoint are good at shooting dirt.

The IAR is good at shooting badguys, and if push comes to shove, dirt really close to the badguys.

ETA- also the IAR is a Marine specific rifle, and is filling the role the USMC originally intended for an automatic rifle.   The SAW was adopted because the ARMY got it, NOT because the SAW filled the role the Marines were looking for.  

I think the IAR should have been Ultimax-100, like it should have been in the 80's, but that of course is my armchair commando perspective.

It's ammo capacity that gets to me. I prefer to have 200 rounds instead of 60 rounds.

Also, didn't the Surefire mags have issues with the followers or something? I remember hearing about that.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as that belt feed picture...
Original AR-10 prototype

Supposed Colt prototype.

Ciener version

Valkrie (one pictured earlier)

Attachment Attached File

Slidefire

I see a trend...

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#11]
But yea, I see the bumpfire stocks and high capacity mags being a GREAT alternative to class 3 and beltfeeds.

Not to mention, besides price the accessibility is unparallelled.   I can mail order some surefire mags and a bump stock and spend a few hundred bucks.  
Can't do that with a MG.  
Also, the ROF in my video is coming in at 850 RPM.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's ammo capacity that gets to me. I prefer to have 200 rounds instead of 60 rounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Also, didn't the Surefire mags have issues with the followers or something? I remember hearing about that.

From a practicality standpoint, if you can get the same effects on target with 60 rounds and a quick reload if needed, why have 200?  

Also, It's not like there is a 60 round cap on mags, that just happens to be what I used in the video.

Surefire mags had hilarious problems where they ate shit and the followers jammed up, that seems to have been resolved.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From a practicality standpoint, if you can get the same effects on target with 60 rounds and a quick reload if needed, why have 200?  

Also, It's not like there is a 60 round cap on mags, that just happens to be what I used in the video.

Surefire mags had hilarious problems where they ate shit and the followers jammed up, that seems to have been resolved.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

If the surefire mags have unfucked themselves, this is a pretty decent weapon.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have cycled through that surefire 60 you see in the videos about 15-20 times or so with no stops. I trust it.

I have a couple more videos I will upload later, but I am somewhat bummed about the trip out. There were times it ran like a raped ape, and a few times it seemed to not like the SD3G/Fostech combo. I was mostly unhappy with my ammo. Ruined anything I wanted to do test-wise. I need to get a barrel that is known for not choking on steel case, otherwise this thing will be too expensive to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have cycled through that surefire 60 you see in the videos about 15-20 times or so with no stops. I trust it.

I have a couple more videos I will upload later, but I am somewhat bummed about the trip out. There were times it ran like a raped ape, and a few times it seemed to not like the SD3G/Fostech combo. I was mostly unhappy with my ammo. Ruined anything I wanted to do test-wise. I need to get a barrel that is known for not choking on steel case, otherwise this thing will be too expensive to shoot.
View Quote

In the end, it's expensive to shoot no matter what.  We're not looking for cheap, we're looking for effective and not expensive.  Were you getting FTEs or stuck cases or what?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]
This gives you an idea of the type of day it was. There is a section of the Fostech where the trigger guard meets the reciprocating grip. In that section there is a gap that finger skin can get stuck in and slow down the RoF. Once I realized my finger was in there I moved it and you see it run like a boss again. Oddly enough it hurts like shit but I didn't notice it was happening each time it would go. I was too focused on shooting.

That little groove area is a major design flaw in my opinion. I will start using gloves from now on methinks. Not only because of the aforementioned design flaw, but because that thing gets HOT after a couple hundred rounds and bing in the sun.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

The practicality behind it is very sound, no argument from me there. I just like having a bigger disposal of rounds at my hands. Personal preferences and all that.

Surefire mags, I know there are some units in the Middle East that use surefire mags but I don't know if it is accepted as "reliable enough" or what. Might get some if the Gov has interest in it.

Now if Magpul made such magazines, I'd be all over it. (I'm a bit of a Magpul whore, but if it has their name on it, I'll buy it with no regrets.)  

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The practicality behind it is very sound, no argument from me there. I just like having a bigger disposal of rounds at my hands. Personal preferences and all that.

Surefire mags, I know there are some units in the Middle East that use surefire mags but I don't know if it is accepted as "reliable enough" or what. Might get some if the Gov has interest in it.

Now if Magpul made such magazines, I'd be all over it. (I'm a bit of a Magpul whore, but if it has their name on it, I'll buy it with no regrets.)  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Before I actually owned one SF60 mag I would have said pretty much exactly the same thing. Magpul makes good stuff, and the two 40 rounders coupled together is a solid option for 80 rounds. I was pondering actually coupling 3 together. This gun with the Fostech actually likes weight; unlike the Slide Fire which lags out hard the more stuff you put on it.

I bought a used MWG90 mag and the rounds wont even chamber due to them nosediving...BUT...MWG offered to rebuild it for me so we will see how it does soon.

Do I want a beltfed? Absolutely, but they are still a little too far outside of my price range.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
So, the slow bursts are around 660 RPM, the fast one at the end is 960 RPM

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In the end, it's expensive to shoot no matter what.  We're not looking for cheap, we're looking for effective and not expensive.  Were you getting FTEs or stuck cases or what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stuck case from both Tula and Wolf. I brought my chamber brush and used it a few times—they still stuck. I am starting to think it's a problem just with the barrel and not the ammo. Sure, it's dirty, but it ran good for so long and now it is just a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

I also had issues with armscor .223 brass and hard primers with multiple guns. The brown rifle you see off to Madcap's left in the video is a paragon of reliability and it even had some primer strike issues.

M855 ran like a sewing machine though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Crazy. I was thinking faster, but even the human metronome gets it wrong sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm still floored by the accuracy.  

Also, how fucking loud 5.56 is, to be able to echo back the way it did.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Stuck case from both Tula and Wolf. I brought my chamber brush and used it a few times—they still stuck. I am starting to think it's a problem just with the barrel and not the ammo. Sure, it's dirty, but it ran good for so long and now it is just a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

I also had issues with armscor .223 brass and hard primers with multiple guns. The brown rifle you see off to Madcap's left in the video is a paragon of reliability and it even had some primer strike issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's good to know that if we need it to work, it will.  I'm still hoping my adapter thing is done in the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's good to know that if we need it to work, it will.  I'm still hoping my adapter thing is done in the next couple weeks.
View Quote

I agree 100%. After talking with madcap a bit we came up with two points to consider. First, if the stock gave you problems from being dirty or whatnot it's still a perfectly capable semi auto rifle, and second, if you NEED a squad auto, the laws behind bumpstock vs MGs are probably out the window.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag. Very interested.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I agree 100%. After talking with madcap a bit we came up with two points to consider. First, if the stock gave you problems from being dirty or whatnot it's still a perfectly capable semi auto rifle, and second, if you NEED a squad auto, the laws behind bumpstock vs MGs are probably out the window.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAY 1---We're using bumpfires.  DAY 2---We're laughing about having to use bumpfires.....yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

DAY 1---We're using bumpfires.  DAY 2---We're laughing about having to use bumpfires.....yesterday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About your build: did you decide to go the DIY stock route? I am excited to see some more versions posted.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL yup.
Plus, there's the training factor.  EFFECTIVE FA fire is a force multiplier.  Living in a Non-NFA state without being a SOT dealer means there's no practical way to get FA training and experience.

When I got on the gun shooting bursts, it was no shit saw city  fire... adjust, fire... adjust.  The time I spent on a 249 was pretty much straight across the board.  

I have a strong feeling that the reverse is true.  That time spent training on a slidefire gun would be very applicable to being able to pick up a machine gun and immediately be effective.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

LOL yup.
Plus, there's the training factor.  EFFECTIVE FA fire is a force multiplier.  Living in a Non-NFA state without being a SOT dealer means there's no practical way to get FA training and experience.

When I got on the gun shooting bursts, it was no shit saw city  fire... adjust, fire... adjust.  The time I spent on a 249 was pretty much straight across the board.  

I have a strong feeling that the reverse is true.  That time spent training on a slidefire gun would be very applicable to being able to pick up a machine gun and immediately be effective.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL yup.

Yep, which is why I nominate Madcap our Automatic Rifleman should we ever cross paths when the SHTF.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

About your build: did you decide to go the DIY stock route? I am excited to see some more versions posted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm hoping to go with jm0502s adapter.  If that doesn't work, we'll go to plan b.  It's killing me, I'm really wanting to run some tracers through this thing just before dark.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm hoping to go with jm0502s adapter.  If that doesn't work, we'll go to plan b.  It's killing me, I'm really wanting to run some tracers through this thing just before dark.
View Quote

I meant for the bump fire stock portion. If for some reason that adapter thing doesn't pan out and you are frustrated with the M-60 bipod, let me know. I will help you get it on the gun or take it off your hands for what you paid for it. Part of me wants twins...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Yep, which is why I nominate Madcap our Automatic Rifleman should we ever cross paths when the SHTF.

Not gonna lie, after watching a guy whack steel silhouettes at 1k with a SPR and 5.56, I kinda want to do a SPR build and put a slide fire on it, then I'll be the KING OF THE FUCKING BATTLEFIELD!

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:50:59 AM EDT
[#33]
That spot looks.......familiar.......

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:40:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah?

This was right outside Wenatchee. Same place?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:43:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah?

Not the same spot.  The dry side all looks the same!

Cool spot nonetheless.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What extractor spring and inserts/O-ring are you using?  

Did the cases have to be tapped out with a rod or was the extractor able to remove them after the rifle failed to cycle properly?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I meant for the bump fire stock portion. If for some reason that adapter thing doesn't pan out and you are frustrated with the M-60 bipod, let me know. I will help you get it on the gun or take it off your hands for what you paid for it. Part of me wants twins...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh...I'm dense.  I've got a stock.  I've had it a couple years, just haven't shot it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Cool spot nonetheless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah?

Cool spot nonetheless.

Damn, it looks so similar. I guess I'm an "environment racist"......
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone put a sig brace on a slide fire yet?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Not gonna lie, after watching a guy whack steel silhouettes at 1k with a SPR and 5.56, I kinda want to do a SPR build and put a slide fire on it, then I'll be the KING OF THE FUCKING BATTLEFIELD!

Pfft, a certain guy with a certain knowledge can make slide fires unnecessary. It just requires a little machining.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

Pfft, a certain guy with a certain knowledge can make slide fires unnecessary. It just requires a little machining.

It can barely be called machining.  If you look at some of the AR10 DIAS designs they cam off the disconnector so no FA parts are required.  A small piece of metal and a file and a couple hours later you've got a machine gun.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#42]

One problem with trying to use this stock is it's likely to twist.  Carbine receiver extensions have the bottom rail that keeps the stock from twisting.  I could be solved with a little ingenuity, but it does need to be accounted for.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#44]
100 round drum mag is in and fits like a glove in my AR.  Now to thoroughly clean and lube it and I should hopefully have footage for you all next weekend.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

It can barely be called machining.  If you look at some of the AR10 DIAS designs they cam off the disconnector so no FA parts are required.  A small piece of metal and a file and a couple hours later you've got a machine gun.

Zero machining and no Federal PMITA prison + 200K fine sounds a lot more inviting.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Zero machining and no Federal PMITA prison + 200K fine sounds a lot more inviting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

Well I did some machining, but it just made the stock slide.  The whole prison and fine thing keeps me from making a real mg.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Well I did some machining, but it just made the stock slide.  The whole prison and fine thing keeps me from making a real mg.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

LOL yea...  Trust me, if I had the cash, I'd be an FFL SOT and have machine guns out my ass :)

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#48]
You fuckheads are going to cost me MORE money
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you mean "SAVE"......It's not a $20k M16.  Feel better now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Use it very much and you'll burn $20k in ammunition though, lol.

Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top