Quoted:
You fuckheads are going to cost me MORE money
View Quote

ar15.com/costmemoremoney.com
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What extractor spring and inserts/O-ring are you using?    

Did the cases have to be tapped out with a rod or was the extractor able to remove them after the rifle failed to cycle properly?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have cycled through that surefire 60 you see in the videos about 15-20 times or so with no stops. I trust it.

I have a couple more videos I will upload later, but I am somewhat bummed about the trip out. There were times it ran like a raped ape, and a few times it seemed to not like the SD3G/Fostech combo. I was mostly unhappy with my ammo. Ruined anything I wanted to do test-wise. I need to get a barrel that is known for not choking on steel case, otherwise this thing will be too expensive to shoot.

In the end, it's expensive to shoot no matter what.  We're not looking for cheap, we're looking for effective and not expensive.  Were you getting FTEs or stuck cases or what?

Stuck case from both Tula and Wolf. I brought my chamber brush and used it a few times—they still stuck. I am starting to think it's a problem just with the barrel and not the ammo. Sure, it's dirty, but it ran good for so long and now it is just a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

I also had issues with armscor .223 brass and hard primers with multiple guns. The brown rifle you see off to Madcap's left in the video is a paragon of reliability and it even had some primer strike issues.

M855 ran like a sewing machine though.
What extractor spring and inserts/O-ring are you using?    

Did the cases have to be tapped out with a rod or was the extractor able to remove them after the rifle failed to cycle properly?

It's back to OEM. The jams had to be cleared with my cleaning rod. On a positive note, the Fostech will more than handle a little bit of mortaring...

About the extractor, I had an O-ring upgrade (brand unknown) that I picked up when I stopped by Weapon Outfitters. I actually ended up taking it out after talking to a friend of mine about how in some cases they are not necessary.... The more I think about it, them more I think it was a factor in the jams.  

OOPS
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you could remove it by mortaring then it would have probably ran with an O-ring.  I prefer to keep extractor tension high.  If it fails to cycle I want it to remove part of the case rim.

FWIW: All my rifles extract and I haven't had to beat a case out yet.

ETA: What barrel are you using again?  I assume it has a 5.56 chamber and chrome lining?

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you could remove it by mortaring then it would have probably ran with an O-ring.  I prefer to keep extractor tension high.  If it fails to cycle I want it to remove part of the case rim.

FWIW: All my rifles extract and I haven't had to beat a case out yet.

ETA: What barrel are you using again?  I assume it has a 5.56 chamber and chrome lining?

View Quote

The mortaring did not clear the jam—I'm just happy it didn't break the stock.

I still think the extractor tension has a lot to do with the stops. I am probably going to get a new LW BCG and I will be sure to run an O-ring

The barrel is a stock CL Stag barrel 1:9 carbine length. A while back I did an approximation of all the times I had been out shooting with it and all the times I took it to indoor competitions. It's gotta have ~15 - 20K rounds through it now. As I said before, I sorta pieced it together out of old parts from other builds. It was something I wanted to keep under $1k just to see if it ran. I got addicted and it has since become one of my "main effort" guns.

A new barrel is definitely in the future. I might actually go out to a 20" HBAR to sort of smooth out the recoil and reduce the RoF.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC standard extractor springs are rated for 3k-5k rounds.  Did it do any damage to the extracted case when you mortared it?  You should at a minimum have extractor markings.        

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IIRC standard extractor springs are rated for 3k-5k rounds.  Did it do any damage to the extracted case when you mortared it?  You should at a minimum have extractor markings.          
View Quote

I didn't actually look at the cases. I'll probably be back out in a couple of weeks to give it another go. I'm going to keep it a bit more practical and do 100-250yds accuracy tests. I was actually pretty bummed out this last time out. I wanted to do 100 rounds @ 550yds for accuracy and I couldn't even get close.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be sure to post pics and videos...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Which light weight carrier are you thinking about getting?  Have you thought about using an extra power spring or any other changes?        

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Which light weight carrier are you thinking about getting?  Have you thought about using an extra power spring or any other changes?          
View Quote

I haven't actually started looking yet. I am open to suggestions.

Part of me is resisting changing away from a mil-spec setup. The whole point of this was that it be easy to recreate with a "normal" AR.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the boomfab, but it's expensive.  I've thought about picking up a RedX titanium bcg as it's a few hundred cheaper and is the next lightest carrier available.        

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like the boomfab, but it's expensive.  I've thought about picking up a RedX titanium bcg as it's a few hundred cheaper and is the next lightest carrier available.          
View Quote

$300 for the Red X... SHEESH!!!

How much lighter is it than a half moon carrier?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This gives you an idea of the type of day it was. There is a section of the Fostech where the trigger guard meets the reciprocating grip. In that section there is a gap that finger skin can get stuck in and slow down the RoF. Once I realized my finger was in there I moved it and you see it run like a boss again. Oddly enough it hurts like shit but I didn't notice it was happening each time it would go. I was too focused on shooting.

That little groove area is a major design flaw in my opinion. I will start using gloves from now on methinks. Not only because of the aforementioned design flaw, but because that thing gets HOT after a couple hundred rounds and bing in the sun.

http://youtu.be/AvupDE1Dv5Q
View Quote

That's an awesome range.  Or is that mainly just shooting into a hillside?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This gives you an idea of the type of day it was. There is a section of the Fostech where the trigger guard meets the reciprocating grip. In that section there is a gap that finger skin can get stuck in and slow down the RoF. Once I realized my finger was in there I moved it and you see it run like a boss again. Oddly enough it hurts like shit but I didn't notice it was happening each time it would go. I was too focused on shooting.

That little groove area is a major design flaw in my opinion. I will start using gloves from now on methinks. Not only because of the aforementioned design flaw, but because that thing gets HOT after a couple hundred rounds and bing in the sun.

Yeah, National forest. It's REALLY REALLY REALLY remote. My buddy I served with in the Marines (Now an SF sniper) actually took me out there. He was hitting at 1750yds.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

What is "Mortaring" in an AR?

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slamming the stock of the gun to the ground while simultaneously pulling rearward on the charging handle in order to either remove a stuck case or to clear a "brass above charging handle" stoppage.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Slamming the stock of the gun to the ground while simultaneously pulling rearward on the charging handle in order to either remove a stuck case or to clear a "brass above charging handle" stoppage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Occasionally done with a boot on the charging handle while slamming it into the ground.  IMO the extractor should be strong enough to rip the case rim off.  Either it's going to extract or you were going to need a rod to force it out anyways.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's the AR with the Beta C.  Sorry that it's blurry.  I was in a hurry and I was using my iPotato.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, National forest. It's REALLY REALLY REALLY remote. My buddy I served with in the Marines (Now an SF sniper) actually took me out there. He was hitting at 1750yds.
View Quote

I wish we had Federal land out here to shoot on.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#19]
You can shoot @ any Federally funded shooting range.  Surely there are military ranges in Ohio.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Here's the AR with the Beta C.  Sorry that it's blurry.  I was in a hurry and I was using my iPotato.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166278/66827.JPG  
View Quote

Dude... A bipod that facilitates bumpfire and you're all the way there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Getting to watch a pro at work was pretty fucking amazing.

-ETA  add a few more "really"s

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

As stated, there was a bunch of targets out, but shooting into the spot we were had the dual benefit being able to easily observe group size.

Unfortunately with the sun and glare I couldn't get the camera to focus through my spotting scope.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Occasionally done with a boot on the charging handle while slamming it into the ground.  IMO the extractor should be strong enough to rip the case rim off.  Either it's going to extract or you were going to need a rod to force it out anyways.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks to both of you, I have never heard that term before

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I got my new bipod in today.  I already had one of these XDS bipods, but I had it mounted on my .50.

Mounted to the rifle:

Now I just need to shoot it.  Hopefully I'll get time this Saturday.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#26]
great a new project....

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent, hope you don't mind.

great build!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That is pretty cool. Have you put any thought into getting a shrike upper?
View Quote

Like this?

youtube vid

Dave W.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think you mean "SAVE"......It's not a $20k M16.  Feel better now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you mean "SAVE"......It's not a $20k M16.  Feel better now.

You're a jerk

Grumble grabswalletgrumble
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I am really excited to see how that thing goes... It looks pretty cool and it seems easy to DIY.

You got me thinking about doing some (non permanent) mods to the Fostech to limit the rearward/forward travel distance.

EDIT: I can tell you with certainty that you are going to want to extent the finger rest on your stock out a good 1/4" or more. If it's too close to parallel to the trigger it never gets enough room to reset.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Can't wait to see how it works!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Like this?

youtube vid

Dave W.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

youtube vid

Dave W.

That video would be so much better if he proned out.

Edit: Imbeded
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#32]
What I'm seeing is that Slidefire has a patent on an adapter block that replaces the stock pistol grip.  That makes it difficult to use anything other than a stock pistol grip.  If just the stock was sliding back and forth, and the pistol grip was fixed, would you still be able to bump fire?  Or do you have to have the finger shelf.  B/c it would seem that Slidefire patented the finger shelf.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What I'm seeing is that Slidefire has a patent on an adapter block that replaces the stock pistol grip.  That makes it difficult to use anything other than a stock pistol grip.  If just the stock was sliding back and forth, and the pistol grip was fixed, would you still be able to bump fire?  Or do you have to have the finger shelf.  B/c it would seem that Slidefire patented the finger shelf.  
View Quote

I tapped my safety detent out and I don't "need" the block part. It is nice though. it keeps it from rotating. On the Fostech the setup is a little different. I don't need it either because I tapped the reciever.

You could totally build a DIY. There are bunches of them posted here.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I tapped my safety detent out and I don't "need" the block part. It is nice though. it keeps it from rotating. On the Fostech the setup is a little different. I don't need it either because I tapped the reciever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Building a DIY is not a problem.  Building a kit w/o violating patents is a little bit more difficult.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Building a DIY is not a problem.  Building a kit w/o violating patents is a little bit more difficult.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhhh. The lego version?

Roger.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

The grip and stock need to be one piece, these things work off the same principle as bump firing.
The lower receiver has to move back in relation to your finger, their grip allows you to rest your finger on the ledge of the grip.

I think some were questioning the ability to lay down accurate fire because it works "like" bump firing.
Since it limits the movement of the action to fore and aft in comparison to bump firing, you get a bit more accuracy.

My question is the about the shelf thingy you rest your finger on.  Since it is fixed on their design, would an ambi removable one be sufficient to avoid patent infringement?  My main reason for avoiding their product is it has to be purchased in either a right or left handed configuration, and the fact that it is ass ugly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Yup.  Saw a Slidefire this weekend @ the gun show for $320.  I think I can sell a kit for roughly a third of that.  Won't be as nice, & you'll have to put it together yourself, but I can reproduce all but the mechanical lock onto the mil-spec buffer tube.  Only problem I'm seeing is the patents.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you're building it for personal enjoyment, and not for sale does that matter?

Or are you talking about one to market?

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Skillets....
Does this blow your mind....

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/uQ777a64tK8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

youtube vid

Dave W.

I concur. It works on a Ares, w/ a bipod, I just tried it.

Dave W.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The grip and stock need to be one piece, these things work off the same principle as bump firing.
The lower receiver has to move back in relation to your finger, their grip allows you to rest your finger on the ledge of the grip.

I think some were questioning the ability to lay down accurate fire because it works "like" bump firing.
Since it limits the movement of the action to fore and aft in comparison to bump firing, you get a bit more accuracy.

My question is the about the shelf thingy you rest your finger on.  Since it is fixed on their design, would an ambi removable one be sufficient to avoid patent infringement?  My main reason for avoiding their product is it has to be purchased in either a right or left handed configuration, and the fact that it is ass ugly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That I don't know.  Theirs is predicated on replacing the stock grip.  They then have a mechanical lock that allows the Slidefire to replace the entire stock.  I'm just aiming to have you slide your carbine stock off, slide on the bumpfire stock, and swap back again when you're doing playing.  I wonder if I could use a 2nd offset pistol grip without sandpapering your other fingers.  Looks like maybe I can but you might have to have a really weird grip angle.  I don't know that this will be any prettier than a SlideFire, but my expectation is you'll paint it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Dave W.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

youtube vid

Dave W.

Dave W.

Outstanding! If you can get videos, we'd all appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not even going to tell you guys what I did to mill the end of my barrel to accept the light barrel adapter. But it works.  Obviously my patience level for waiting on the right part is pretty poor and I did some math and have over 10k rounds through this barrel anyway.

Now to see what Madcap's round count is.

I put 11 rounds on target at 100 yds.  I think open sights would work better than a red dot.  I was losing the target to the dust cloud and muzzle drift was killing me. My ipotato hasn't gotten the pic delivered yet, I'll post it when it does.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you're building it for personal enjoyment, and not for sale does that matter?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SlideFire isn't going to come after you if you build your own personal bumpfire stock that infringes on their patents.  If I bring a kit to market that's 1/3 of their retail price, I better not have infringed any of their patents in the design.  I think there's ways around it, notably the tapping of the safety detent spring hole & the shortening of the spring, but that's a permanent modification of your weapon, which is not an inducement to sales.  The way they wrote one of their patents, replacing the stock pistol grip is a feature of their design, so if I can get a bumpfire stock to work without replacing the stock pistol grip, I may be golden.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

youtube vid

Dave W.

Dave W.

I'll try and shoot some vids tomorrow. Gettin' too dark now.

Dave W.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm not even going to tell you guys what I did to mill the end of my barrel to accept the light barrel adapter. But it works.  Obviously my patience level for waiting on the right part is pretty poor and I did some math and have over 10k rounds through this barrel anyway.

http://youtu.be/jJ_1x2KhYxI

Now to see what Madcap's round count is.

I put 11 rounds on target at 100 yds.  I think open sights would work better than a red dot.  I was losing the target to the dust cloud and muzzle drift was killing me. My ipotato hasn't gotten the pic delivered yet, I'll post it when it does.

View Quote

YYYYYYYYYES!!!!

I am calling ~750-780 rpm.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's the pic.  I'd shot one mag through it just to function check it before I got on target.  This was the second mag.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here's the pic.  I'd shot one mag through it just to function check it before I got on target.  This was the second mag.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66856
View Quote

Well they all hit at 100yds..

Did you feel it walking around on you? I have found that when I grip it right it stays where I want it. If I don't it will move around a bit. Sorta like a real MG.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did you feel it walking around on you? I have found that when I grip it right it stays where I want it. If I don't it will move around a bit. Sorta like a real MG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66856

I found it walking left on me.  Pretty hard to diagnose after two mags, but a little more guidance with my support hand would probably help.  I was just trying to keep it rolling.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Duh.  I'll just rotate out a 2nd pistol grip about 45 degrees to the right.  Makes the safety a bit difficult, but there's no modifications to the weapon other than sliding off the carbine stock.  And your fingers won't get cheese-grated even if you have an A2 PG with checkering.  And if you want a cool operator grip, you can just glue that one in instead of an A2 grip.  And lefties can just place it on the other side when they build it.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top