[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

The Ebola tune is actually pretty catchy. It really could go viral, worldwide
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

See, even the laughing "bush meat eating" Liberian doctor isn't that worried about Ebola.  If it's not spreading like wildfire in that shit hole, I HIGHLY doubt it's a major threat to the United States.  

This thread shows how fearful Americans have become.  

PS I wonder if they road kill age all their bush meat?

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It has a better chance then the Ebola virus.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 I've no doubt it's possible for someone infected with Ebola to enter the United States.  I have no doubt that should that happen they might infect other people.  What I do doubt is that Ebola could ever turn into a full blown epidemic in the United States, or any other wealthy industrialized nation.  Its not even an epidemic in Africa.

For a variety of reason Ebola just isn't equipped to spread through a population like some other viruses.    
View Quote

It doesn't matter if it was just 10 patients in Chicago or NYC. The panic it would generate, both public and governmental, would be devastating.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if it was just 10 patients in Chicago or NYC. The panic it would generate, both public and governmental, would be devastating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I've no doubt it's possible for someone infected with Ebola to enter the United States.  I have no doubt that should that happen they might infect other people.  What I do doubt is that Ebola could ever turn into a full blown epidemic in the United States, or any other wealthy industrialized nation.  Its not even an epidemic in Africa.

For a variety of reason Ebola just isn't equipped to spread through a population like some other viruses.    

Third term and all that...
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, forgot about that part...

They razed their other campus on Rt. 7, just outside Tysons back in JAN/FEB time-frame of this year, and though
it's uber-prime real estate, location-wise, nobody's touched it.

Local rumor control has it that the ground may be contaminated (though what they believe it's contaminated with,
I haven't heard), so the place has turned into a dandelion and brush-grass farm now....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys ever heard of the Reston strain? It was airborne and managed to infect some humans, but they showed no clinical signs of infection because it was not harmful to humans.

It was called Reston because it happened in Virginia.

So I believe it's only a matter of time before a filovirus with a significant mortality rate becomes airborne...

They tore that lab down several years back - literally sterilizing *EVERYTHING* as they tore it down, treating
it as a bio-hazard site, and from what I was told, doubled-down and sent the debris to an incinerator, just to
be sure.

they even incinerated the dirt from the site.

Yeah, forgot about that part...

They razed their other campus on Rt. 7, just outside Tysons back in JAN/FEB time-frame of this year, and though
it's uber-prime real estate, location-wise, nobody's touched it.

Local rumor control has it that the ground may be contaminated (though what they believe it's contaminated with,
I haven't heard), so the place has turned into a dandelion and brush-grass farm now....

Google map location?  I'm not far from there & would like to know.

In other news, the new Metro subway stop at Tysons' Corner is set to open at the end of the month!
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That was Motaba.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was Motaba.

Otherwise known as the non-name brand knock off of ebola.

Quoted:
You guys ever heard of the Reston strain? It was airborne and managed to infect some humans, but they showed no clinical signs of infection because it was not harmful to humans.

So I believe it's only a matter of time before a filovirus with a significant mortality rate becomes airborne...

I'm sitting about 100 feet from the facility where that happened. The original place is gone and now it's strip mall with a gym and a school.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you want scary shit that's real.  Worry about lyme/tick disease and how it is really taking off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ebola just isn't the bogyman they make it out to be.  Stay away from bodily fluids, and you'll be fine.  It can't get through your skin and is unstable outside the human body.  If it wasn't for their funeral custom, that the family and friends wash and prepare the body of their dearly departed, there wouldn't be 337 dead.  

I'm not saying they have to completely give up the practice, just don't do it with people who've died from hemorrhagic fever.  If Batu was bleeding from his nose, ears, eyes, and mouth, and his skin was sloughing off...don't touch him.   Problem solved.  

Ebola doesn't appear to spread very easy.  I doubt an outbreak in a western country would go far.  

How can we panic when people like you keep interfering with facts and common sense?

you want scary shit that's real.  Worry about lyme/tick disease and how it is really taking off.

+1  Nasty, nasty shit.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I do not have that opinion. an outbreak with a bug like that in a modern country would kill thousands due to our modern travel and extremely fast paced medical care. they would not be taken to a Podunk shelter, they would end up at a 500-1000 bed medical facility and infect all the staff and cross infect the patients in a matter of hours.

not only have I studied this, I wrote some of the manuals that hospitals use for Chemical and Biological Triage Management. I've seen portable incinerators that will be used if necessary to sterilize the area of infected dead. the only reason these hotspots aren't worse is the seemingly low populations of outbreak and the small scale shelter hospitals

ask Texas A&M about their infectious rates from their Simian Pathogens and their Biological Warfare Laboratory. I have personally worked on patients with some of the worst diseases known at the facilities I have been on staff at and worked a little girl with Plague which opened my eyes to the level of precautions needed to contain pathogens of this nature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  Not only do I think morbidity would be much, much lower in North America or Europe, I think mortality would as well.  

I don't think Ebola is anything close to the level of threat represented by the bugs of science fiction. So, not only is Ebola NOT like King's Captain Trips, it's not even as much of a threat as the Spanish flu.

I just don't think it's a huge threat to first world countries.  

I do not have that opinion. an outbreak with a bug like that in a modern country would kill thousands due to our modern travel and extremely fast paced medical care. they would not be taken to a Podunk shelter, they would end up at a 500-1000 bed medical facility and infect all the staff and cross infect the patients in a matter of hours.

not only have I studied this, I wrote some of the manuals that hospitals use for Chemical and Biological Triage Management. I've seen portable incinerators that will be used if necessary to sterilize the area of infected dead. the only reason these hotspots aren't worse is the seemingly low populations of outbreak and the small scale shelter hospitals

ask Texas A&M about their infectious rates from their Simian Pathogens and their Biological Warfare Laboratory. I have personally worked on patients with some of the worst diseases known at the facilities I have been on staff at and worked a little girl with Plague which opened my eyes to the level of precautions needed to contain pathogens of this nature.

Fascinating insight you are bringing into this thread.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Foreign doctors and Red Cross are bailing due to security concerns.

ETA:  I don't blame them, I'd have been long gone.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fascinating insight you are bringing into this thread.
View Quote

I wonder what he and Beerslayer think about this guy? Especially since he seems to be working under a level 2 containment protocol?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm sitting about 100 feet from the facility where that happened. The original place is gone and now it's strip mall with a gym and a school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was Motaba.

Quoted:

"The physical building in which the outbreak occurred was demolished on 30 May 1995 and a new building constructed in its place. This facility, which is part of the Isaac Newton Square office park, at 1946 Isaac Newton Sq W, became a KinderCare, then became a Mulberry Child Care and preschool center as of 2007, and as of 2009 was once again a KinderCare.[17]"

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thank God I finally got my 1000 rounds of 75 grain ammo...
View Quote

Wouldn't a good chemical warfare suit be a better buy?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

honestly, he should be in prison for biological war crimes imho.
View Quote

It's beyond belief that he's allowed to keep doing what he's doing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without decontamination, you would probably get exposed when you undressed.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

i can pretty well tell you there was nothing left alive in that building when we left.
View Quote

Always like that part of the book.. That for a time, it was most likely the only complete sterile building on the planet..
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"Pleased to meet you, Lloyd. Hope you guess my name,"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Randall Flagg

"Pleased to meet you, Lloyd. Hope you guess my name,"

"Your mother's in charge of blowjobs in a whorehouse in Asshole, Illinois!"
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ebola isn't airborne. It can only survive in bodily fluids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly let's say hypothetically New York gets the unlucky plane.  Infected guy walks down through town and he has some jungle killing Ebola in every cough.  Not to mention the 100+ on the plane with him.  How fast would it spread in the States?  What PPE is required to improve your chances?

Ebola isn't airborne. It can only survive in bodily fluids.

For now...I understand there have been several mutations but the incubation/mortality rates make them less of a threat.

Someday...nature will get the formula just right...and mankind will be pretty much a memory.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
People who say such cavalier things about human life are usually ignorant children or wretched wastes of oxygen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh, we need to thin the herd.

People who say such cavalier things about human life are usually ignorant children or wretched wastes of oxygen.
+1

Hopefully they will be part of the thinning.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

M-O-O-N that spells flesh-eating bacteria
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Captain, Captain Trips that is...

Baby can you dig your man?

M-O-O-N that spells flesh-eating bacteria

That made my day, seriously LMAO.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Folks prolly don't want to Google image search "Ebola victims". Kinda wished I hadn't. All I know is we don't need that virus anywhere near here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

"The physical building in which the outbreak occurred was demolished on 30 May 1995 and a new building constructed in its place. This facility, which is part of the Isaac Newton Square office park, at 1946 Isaac Newton Sq W, became a KinderCare, then became a Mulberry Child Care and preschool center as of 2007, and as of 2009 was once again a KinderCare.[17]"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was Motaba.

Quoted:

It's a Montessori school now.  I drive by it whenever I go to a local maker space.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

i can pretty well tell you there was nothing left alive in that building when we left.
View Quote

Wow, I just read The Hot Zone a few weeks ago. Interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Google map location?  I'm not far from there & would like to know.

In other news, the new Metro subway stop at Tysons' Corner is set to open at the end of the month!
View Quote

Linky
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Time for more news:

Ebola outbreak in West Africa now the largest on record.

500 dead and counting.

Link

The key to halting Ebola is isolating the sick, but fear and panic have sent some patients into hiding, complicating efforts to stop its spread. Ebola has reached the capitals of all three countries, and the World Health Organization reported 44 new cases including 21 deaths on Friday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm hoarding chem/bio suits and chlorine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
and yet STILL no outbreaks in places where people wash their ass on a regular basis.
View Quote

Hopefully, all flights into and out of those countries have been halted.

Incubation = 2 to 21 days.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#36]
It's only a matter of time before it crosses the ocean...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

One infected hooker and one "tourist" from a large city and we are all dead.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
As many here have said, I don't think it's going to happen with this particular strain.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As many here have said, I don't think it's going to happen with this particular strain.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Lay off the bush meat BBQ, especially monkey meat, don't fondle dead friends and relatives who've died from hemorrhagic fever, and avoid people bleeding from their mouth, nose, eyes, and skin....

you'll be fine.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lay off the bush meat BBQ, especially monkey meat, don't fondle dead friends and relatives who've died from hemorrhagic fever, and avoid people bleeding from their mouth, nose, eyes, and skin....

you'll be fine.  
View Quote

Tell that to the people eating the bush meat  Telling ARFCOM is like preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Roger that, going MOPP 4
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5EheTPvBIOY/Ucsc4LmusoI/AAAAAAAABVI/-1Kc-X4y-do/s1600/777.jpg
Who over there is infected and can afford a plane ride to a western civilization?

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Ebola has a high mortality rate, but low transmission rate. They say one of the saving graces may be that Ebola tends to kill/incapacitate its victims so quickly.

Viruses that co-evolved with humans, the ones that really spread like wildfire are the ones who enter latency periods and are still transmissible... Ebola seems to be a virus that only recently hopped the zoo-onic barrier. Let's just hope it doesn't adapt any further.

Also another fortunate thing: Ebola is a single-strand, nonsegmented RNA virus. What does that mean? It means it's not nearly as genetically unstable as the flu virus, ergo it can't trade/swap gene segments and become highly virulent as fast.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I have two cousins from Sierra Leone, their father still lives there, and they were planning on visiting this fall. Needless to say, those plans were cancelled.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Who over there is infected and can afford a plane ride to a western civilization?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5EheTPvBIOY/Ucsc4LmusoI/AAAAAAAABVI/-1Kc-X4y-do/s1600/777.jpg

We'll probably give them refugee status and fly them here to vote Democrat.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are probably walking across the border now.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

US workers.  
My dad worked in Angola and the Congo (I know its not the same area) for three or four years.    One flight, 18 hours.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

and yet STILL no outbreaks in places where people wash their ass on a regular basis.
View Quote
Well, we're fucked in Birmingham.

I was short, too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just add a pig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebola kills so fast it is doubtful it would turn into a mass epidemic. That and it is not airborne, yet.

Some guy is in a lab right now trying to combine ebola and bird flu.

It's harder than one might imagine to get a monkey with ebola and a chicken with the flu to make sweet, sweet love...

Just add a pig.

No shit.  The ARFCOM wet dream of FO!!!
Page / 53
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top