BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 53
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who over there is infected and can afford a plane ride to a western civilization?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only a matter of time before it crosses the ocean...
As many here have said, I don't think it's going to happen with this particular strain.  

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5EheTPvBIOY/Ucsc4LmusoI/AAAAAAAABVI/-1Kc-X4y-do/s1600/777.jpg
Who over there is infected and can afford a plane ride to a western civilization?  

Sierra Leone has become a popular tourist destination for Europeans the last few years, and it looked like the country was on the path to rebuilding itself from the ugliness that consumed it throughout the 90s. Cheap accommodations and airfare, beautiful beaches, and stability not seen in western Africa in decades. Hopefully they can ride this out and not descend back into anarchy.

But as we all know, TIA.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Sucks for them. I guess it turns out that basic hygiene has it's merits.  They'll learn that or die out...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My mother-in-law would be the type to bring that shit to the US. She goes to western Africa all the time. She is always bringing something back with her. Parasites, malaria, crazy undiagnosed GI illnesses, you name it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My mother-in-law would be the type to bring that shit to the US. She goes to western Africa all the time. She is always bringing something back with her. Parasites, malaria, crazy undiagnosed GI illnesses, you name it.
View Quote

When my dad was working in west Africa, he was given a new malaria kit each time.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

US workers.  
My dad worked in Angola and the Congo (I know its not the same area) for three or four years.    One flight, 18 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only a matter of time before it crosses the ocean...
As many here have said, I don't think it's going to happen with this particular strain.  

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5EheTPvBIOY/Ucsc4LmusoI/AAAAAAAABVI/-1Kc-X4y-do/s1600/777.jpg

US workers.  
My dad worked in Angola and the Congo (I know its not the same area) for three or four years.    One flight, 18 hours.

I spent a bit of time in both those areas working. The list of shots I had to get to go there almost filled a whole side of an immunization card.

Once you visit shitty areas in Africa and just take one whiff you realize why diseases and shit like this comes from over there.  It's a smell you never forget.

Aah, the Houston Express....F that plane ride!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
"at least it's not Marburg"
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I spent a bit of time in both those areas working. The list of shots I had to get to go there almost filled a whole side of an immunization card.

Once you visit shitty areas in Africa and just take one whiff you realize why diseases and shit like this comes from over there.  It's a smell you never forget.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

US workers.  

He said the bus rides were tolerable after you nose went numb and eyes stopped watering.  
He is now the Country Manager of China for his company.   He loves china compared to the shit hole that is west Africa.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He said the bus rides were tolerable after you nose went numb and eyes stopped watering.  
He is now the Country Manager of China for his company.   He loves china compared to the shit hole that is west Africa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

US workers.  

Thanks for the bus ride memories, I had almost forgotten about them.

A few things that I saw over there that I will never forget:

An amputee cut off at the waist chasing my friend down the street on his hands begging for a dollar
Monkeys chasing another friend down the street for a piece of candy
A woman carrying a standard car transmission on her head with no hands
Kids playing "fort" in the trash dump between some city buildings
A woman walking down the sidewalk...paused, hiked up her skirt, and dropped a deuce...and kept walking. Barely broke stride

Then again, you know you done wandered into the wrong side of the world when this is the picture in your hotel room.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For now...I understand there have been several mutations but the incubation/mortality rates make them less of a threat.

Someday...nature will get the formula just right...and mankind will be pretty much a memory.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly let's say hypothetically New York gets the unlucky plane.  Infected guy walks down through town and he has some jungle killing Ebola in every cough.  Not to mention the 100+ on the plane with him.  How fast would it spread in the States?  What PPE is required to improve your chances?

Ebola isn't airborne. It can only survive in bodily fluids.
For now...I understand there have been several mutations but the incubation/mortality rates make them less of a threat.

Someday...nature will get the formula just right...and mankind will be pretty much a memory.  

Not, just Africa, SE Asia, Latin America, and some leftist areas of the West...We will blaze ahead..
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Why? They're both BSL4 pathogens with no known cure.

Except I think Marburg has a lower mortality rate
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the joke.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly let's say hypothetically New York gets the unlucky plane.  Infected guy walks down through town and he has some jungle killing Ebola in every cough.  Not to mention the 100+ on the plane with him.  How fast would it spread in the States?  What PPE is required to improve your chances?

Ebola isn't airborne. It can only survive in bodily fluids.

not every mutation is beneficial to the transmission of the virus, nor would it necessarily increase the lethality of the virus. Mutations are random. Anything could happen (including reducing its virulence).
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"We have so much to learn from Mother Africa"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the bus ride memories, I had almost forgotten about them.

A few things that I saw over there that I will never forget:

An amputee cut off at the waist chasing my friend down the street on his hands begging for a dollar

Monkeys chasing another friend down the street for a piece of candy

A woman carrying a standard car transmission on her head with no hands

Kids playing "fort" in the trash dump between some city buildings

A woman walking down the sidewalk...paused, hiked up her skirt, and dropped a deuce...and kept walking. Barely broke stride

Then again, you know you done wandered into the wrong side of the world when this is the picture in your hotel room.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/DSCF0066_zpsa2d37b99.jpg

"We have so much to learn from Mother Africa"

mmmmmmmmmmmmm good

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sounds . . . . slagtastic
Quoted:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/DSCF0066_zpsa2d37b99.jpg

No...now that wont make your skin crawl any

Looks like the start to some Steven King movie .

No thank you .

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#18]

...since February.

I wonder how many people died of the flu since February.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]

That is just an artist rendition of Deadmau5 at Day of the Dead last year..

I was there.. It was scary..
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you even Hot Zone, bro?  I even put it in quotes.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

...since February.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

...since February.

Probably more info than you really want: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#22]
TIA
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Someone embed this.

http://youtu.be/4gZ6bpIjeLs
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, this will put a damper on the medical staff:

(Reuters) - The head doctor fighting the deadly tropical virus Ebola in Sierra Leone has himself caught the disease, the government said.

The 39-year-old Sheik Umar Khan, hailed as a "national hero" by the health ministry, was leading the fight to control an outbreak that has killed 206 people in the West African country. Ebola kills up to 90 percent of those infected and there is no cure or vaccine.

Across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, more than 600 people have died from the illness, according to the World Health Organisation, placing great strain on the health systems of some of Africa's poorest countries.
View Quote

Link
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#25]

The work of informing at-risk populations is being thwarted by superstition, fear, and suspicion.

The first step in containment is to get those affected to health centers where they can be isolated and treated. But as community members are taken to isolation wards—most never to be seen again—rumors often circulate that the wards are not for treatment but for something more sinister.

So Ebola patients often hide from the authorities trying to gather names of close contacts. Those who are put in isolation may escape and be hidden by families. Sierra Leone has now made it a crime to hide victims, but punitive measures rarely make the job easier for public health responders....
View Quote

NPR echoed this problem yesterday.  They said infected patients often flee to remote areas.  Fleeing creates 2 problems:  

1) it spreads the disease to new populations that are hard to get to/treat/contain and

2) it undercuts mortality estimates.  Meaning:  the actual death toll may already be far higher - maybe thousands or tens of thousands already.  So sad!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hopefully, all flights into and out of those countries have been halted.

Incubation = 2 to 21 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and yet STILL no outbreaks in places where people wash their ass on a regular basis.
Hopefully, all flights into and out of those countries have been halted.

Incubation = 2 to 21 days.
Yesterday, one of my patients had not bathed in 2 years.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Infected patient on the run in the capital.
family broke her out of the hospital
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Well... tgere goes another one.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

That, in a nutshell, is why Ebola spreads in Africa.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

this is an easy fix, quarantine travel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe that this is the first time Ebola has reached a city, a travel hub.  In the past this virus has been confined to small villages or the bush. We shall see what happens next.

As the city is Guinea's international travel hub, an outbreak in the capital could pose the biggest threat of an epidemic.

First new Ebola cases have been recorded in Guinea's capital Conakry since more than a month, while other previously unaffected areas have also reported infections in the past week, according to the World Health Organization.

link

this is an easy fix, quarantine travel.

too expensive for the economies.

Ebola is now in Lagos.

We have flights direct to the US from there everyday.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#33]
The flu kills somewhere between 3 to 50K just in the US every year.

When it exceeds those levels, I will start to pay attention.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Aerosolization is not airborne in the same way certain strains of smallpox are airborne...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebola kills so fast it is doubtful it would turn into a mass epidemic. That and it is not airborne, yet.

If it ever becomes airborne, i see that being very very bad.

it must be airborne.

the virus is in all bodily fluids, including sweat.

What they are not saying is that mucous from sneezes and coughs are also bodily fluids.

If someone coughs, mucous is expelled in tiny droplets into the air and on stuff, this is how flu spreads.

3 questions remain.  How often does someone with ebola cough, how much mucous is expelled and how long does the virus remain viable on objects at room temps and humidities  when in tiny mucous droplets. I would expect the seasons to have an impact on the latter, just like flu. Colder temps and less UV and it should remain viable longer.

Aerosolization is not airborne in the same way certain strains of smallpox are airborne...

Seems the same to me. What am I missing?

How is smallpox spread?
Smallpox spreads from person to person mainly by aerosolized droplets that come from the coughing of infected patients. Contact with smallpox scabs or contaminated clothing or linens can also spread the disease. Animals or insects are not known to act as reservoirs or transmit the disease.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Case in Abuja now, showed up on a flight.

Or Lagos, per the post above.  Checked, it's Lagos, population 20million.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

The seasonal flu generally kills the elderly, and small children due to immune system problems.

Ebola kills everybody equally.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

I agree.

This has been going for months, and even in Africa, it hasn't killed but a few hundred.  Ebola is not the bogyman everyone made it out to be.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I agree.
  This has been going for months, and even in Africa, it hasn't killed but a few hundred.  Ebola is not the bogyman everyone made it out to be.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

What would be a worthy boogieman. Spanish flu?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And some wine...with a few candles and some Barry White on the Ipod..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebola kills so fast it is doubtful it would turn into a mass epidemic. That and it is not airborne, yet.

Some guy is in a lab right now trying to combine ebola and bird flu.

It's harder than one might imagine to get a monkey with ebola and a chicken with the flu to make sweet, sweet love...

Just add a pig.

And some wine...with a few candles and some Barry White on the Ipod..

Don't forget the massage oil.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:40:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

Here is the thing about virus.

The more hosts, the more mutations, the more mutations, the more adapted, the more adapted the more easily it might spread.

This is not a threat right now. It has lots of potential though. The longer this goes on, the better chance it has to become a real epidemic like we see with flu, and used to see with many other deseases like small pox, typhoid, and others that have almost been wiped out due to vaccination.

There is no vaccination for ebola and it does mutate a lot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:54:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's harder than one might imagine to get a monkey with ebola and a chicken with the flu to make sweet, sweet love...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tie the chicken down and the monkey will fuck it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:07:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Food for thought: hospital "isolation rooms" either maintain a positive or a negative pressure. Positive pressure rooms are for immune-compromised patients, keeping germs out of the room by pushing filtered air into the room. Negative pressure rooms are for infectious patients, which keeps air from leaving the room to keep from infecting the other patients. Many hospital or clinic isolation rooms maintain that negative pressure by exhausting the air from that room straight out the roof of the hospital with little or no filtration.

The same goes for cancer treatment centers and the hoods where the chemo and other drugs are mixed and/or measured out, etc.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

not true. true NP isolation rooms filter and re-filter air before exhaust. now, that said the systems require maint. that may or may not be done properly.

there are health code and EPA requirements for such systems that require it. the same is also definantly true for lab hoods involved with radiation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Food for thought: hospital "isolation rooms" either maintain a positive or a negative pressure. Positive pressure rooms are for immune-compromised patients, keeping germs out of the room by pushing filtered air into the room. Negative pressure rooms are for infectious patients, which keeps air from leaving the room to keep from infecting the other patients. Many hospital or clinic isolation rooms maintain that negative pressure by exhausting the air from that room straight out the roof of the hospital with little or no filtration.

The same goes for cancer treatment centers and the hoods where the chemo and other drugs are mixed and/or measured out, etc.

not true. true NP isolation rooms filter and re-filter air before exhaust. now, that said the systems require maint. that may or may not be done properly.

there are health code and EPA requirements for such systems that require it. the same is also definantly true for lab hoods involved with radiation.

In addition to the filters isn't the air also exposed to UV-C radiation?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

i forget all the exact requirements but i can pretty much promise the air coming from an isolation is sterile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In addition to the filters isn't the air also exposed to UV-C radiation?

i forget all the exact requirements but i can pretty much promise the air coming from an isolation is sterile.

Both bolded are relevant. You can "pretty much promise" all you want, but there are many clinics and smaller hospitals across Texas and Oklahoma that do not filter outgoing air. Both the P and N(positive pressure or negative) rooms as well as the rest of the building are almost always fed HEPA-filtered air in the newer buildings, but are notoriously ill-maintained. I have worked directly with these systems for years, I speak from direct experience. But this is the internet, believe what you want and my statement is worth what you paid for it. Just thought I'd add some real-world data.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

Why would someone do that?
Page / 53
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top