Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2014 8:01:33 AM EDT
A controversial scientist who carried out provocative research on making influenza viruses more infectious has completed his most dangerous experiment to date by deliberately creating a pandemic strain of flu that can evade the human immune system.

Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Wisconsin-Madison has genetically manipulated the 2009 strain of pandemic flu in order for it to “escape” the control of the immune system’s neutralising antibodies, effectively making the human population defenceless against its reemergence.

Most of the world today has developed some level of immunity to the 2009 pandemic flu virus, which means that it can now be treated as less dangerous “seasonal flu”. However, The Independent understands that Professor Kawaoka intentionally set out to see if it was possible to convert it to a pre-pandemic state in order to analyse the genetic changes involved.

The study is not published, however some scientists who are aware of it are horrified that Dr Kawaoka was allowed to deliberately remove the only defence against a strain of flu virus that has already demonstrated its ability to create a deadly pandemic that killed as many as 500,000 people in the first year of its emergence.
View Quote

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/exclusive-controversial-us-scientist-creates-deadly-new-flu-strain-for-pandemic-research-9577088.html

No chance of anything going wrong with this.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello Captain Trips.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait, I think I've seen this movie
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
That motherfucker needs Jesus.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#4]
So it begins.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#5]
we've got to make ourselves invisible to the infected?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Why people waste resources and talents on shit like this, when humanity needs cures for cancers, cold, etc, is beyond me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#7]
If one scientist can do this I wonder what various .gov's have cooked up in secret labs.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why people waste resources and talents on shit like this, when humanity needs cures for cancers, cold, etc, is beyond me.
View Quote
What's the matter?  You don't see the need for a superflu against which, we have no defense?

Or ebola fortified with cancer to allow it to exist outside the body longer?

Or ebola mixed with small pox so you get the contagiousness of small pox, with ebola's lethality?

Lord we are frickin morons for doing stuff like this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Because there are a lot of sick motherfuckers in the world that will generously fund it and make you rich to do it.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#10]
He's going to trip in his lab with a vile of the stuff and were all going to be fucked
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#11]
We'll have to see if his murderflu beats out the stuff being incubated at Lackland.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#12]
the government are idiots  when we are all dead who will they govern...... control freaks
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#14]
University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Will this become a Leftist WMD released upon us for the sake of saving Gaia?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Will this become a Leftist WMD released upon us for the sake of saving Gaia?
View Quote

Sounds familiar.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Putting toilet bowl cleaner and aluminum foil in a plastic bottle just to hear a loud boom is against the law, but this guy gets to do this and that's ok.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#17]
New flu + uncontrolled influx of illegal aliens = ?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is the guy who should be dragged out of his home in the middle of the night and beaten with a lead pipe.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]

All sorts of WTF in the article:

"The work was carried out at Wisconsin University’s $12m (£7.5m) Institute for Influenza Virus Research in Madison which was built specifically to house Professor Kawaoka’s laboratory, which has a level-3-agriculture category of biosafety: one below the top safety level for the most dangerous pathogens, such as Ebola virus.

However, this study was done at the lower level-2 biosafety. The university has said repeatedly that there is little or no risk of an accidental escape from the lab, although a similar US Government lab at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta with a higher level-3 biosafety rating was recently criticised over the accidental exposure of at least 75 lab workers to possible anthrax infection.

Professor Kawaoka’s work had been cleared by Wisconsin’s Institutional Biosafety Committee, but some members of the committee were not informed about details of the antibody study on pandemic H1N1, which began in 2009, and have voiced concerns about the direction, oversight and safety of his overall research on flu viruses.

"I have met Professor Kawaoka in committee and have heard his research presentations and honestly it was not re-assuring,” said Professor Tom Jeffries, a dissenting member of the 17-person biosafety committee who said he was not made aware of Kawaoka’s work on pandemic H1N1, and has reservations about his other work on flu viruses."

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is part of that.  They're not doing it for nothing.  This is also nothing new, similar things have been and will be done perpetually.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the guy who should be dragged out of his home in the middle of the night and beaten with a lead pipe.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130114235458/terminator/images/c/c8/Miles_Dyson_nearly_killed.jpg

In defense of Miles Dyson, I'm pretty sure he was just making robots and processor chips.

He didn't know that his work would come to bad ends.

If you had the flu guy in the same situation, his response wouldn't be "what did I do/will I do?" and more of "fools!  My superflu will murder you all!  You may kill me, but I shall kill all of you!  Death to the world!"
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure this isn't the theme of a current Cable TV program?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What's the matter?  You don't see the need for a superflu against which, we have no defense?  

Or ebola mixed with small pox so you get the contagiousness of small pox, with ebola's lethality?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because science is able to do something doesn't mean they have the moral right to do it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Don't worry, it turned out OK in the end.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
-
Just because science is able to do something doesn't mean they have the moral right to do it.
View Quote

You must be one of those bible-thumping racist homophobes who hates science.

Morality is obsolete and only for primitive idiot white men trying to preserve their dwindling privilege.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I absolutely agree.  My post was sarcasm.  I was just pointing out some of the other INSANELY stupid things we've done.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Shut.

Down.

Everything.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shut.

Down.

Everything.
View Quote

Fuckin' Madagascar, man.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Where the Jeff GoldBlum meme....just because you can, never stopped to ask your self if you should.  Someone needs to disappear the whole staff over there.  This is the kinda shit that will wipe out the earth.  Sorry that's just my two cents

ETA - He's fucking Japanese too....probably part of that damn cult that was trying to kill all those people in the subway with Sarin gas.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Biosafety Level 3 lab at U-Wisc Madison.  I'd like to see what it actually looks like and how they actually implement all the protocols.

ETA (upthread) work performed under Level 2 protocols.

Why don't we just grind up some corpses from Camp Funston and spray them around a bus terminal?

What specific NIH grant is this fruitbat working under?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#31]
So, he modifies and studies these viruses to better understand them, that way they will have better luck with creating vaccines and combating future pandemics (even says he sent his research to WHO).

must be a mad scientist hellbent on destroying the world.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So, he modifies and studies these viruses to better understand them, that way they will have better luck with creating vaccines and combating future pandemics (even says he sent his research to WHO).

must be a mad scientist hellbent on destroying the world.
View Quote

Did you miss the "done in a level 2, not level 3" containment area?

Or that other disease researchers were questioning his work?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's precisely what he's doing; studying deadly disease.  The issue is whether or not this particular experiment is worth the risk.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If one scientist can do this I wonder what various .gov's have cooked up in secret labs.
View Quote
Why waste time with research when you could kidnap a scientist and his/her family and force them to replicate it and weaponize it ?

Too terror , much insane , many xenocide

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is part of that.  They're not doing it for nothing.  This is also nothing new, similar things have been and will be done perpetually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
If anyone thinks for a minute that there is not a bunch of labs working on crap like this all the time your being naive.
It would scare the crap out of us to know what Is really out there in some random labs.
I bet theres shit out there that would kill 90% of the world population if it was released.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#36]
"You arrogant ass! You just killed us!"
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.
If anyone thinks for a minute that there is not a bunch of labs working on crap like this all the time your being naive.
It would scare the crap out of us to know what Is really out there in some random labs.
I bet theres shit out there that would kill 90% of the world population if it was released.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

There definitely is.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#38]
These people are working with hazardous substances that are communicable and don't show effects until a later time.  
I think that if they want to play with this crap they should be forced to be sealed in the lab and not allowed to leave until they have been out of the work area and under observation for at least the longest incubation period if not longer.

Did I mention the observation area should be housed inside an incinerator just in-case they are infected?  
Might make them think twice about playing with shit like that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Given enough time, humanity will not survive itself.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#40]
There sure are some dumb fucking smart people out there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Kind of reminds me of the movie Andromeda Strain. That turned out well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Inventing diseases like that sounds like a fantastic idea.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#43]
sounds like he is attempting to hire on with an  terrorist group.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I had H1N1 earlier in the flu season and it really did a number on me. The doc and nurses avoided even being in the room with me any more than necessary and I was put in a room as far away from any other patients as possible. I was absolutely down with that nasty bug. I can easily see where it could be fatal to somebody who already had health issues.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd be more worried about the govt shipping illegal immigrants all across america via commerical airline flights. Who knows what the hell you'll get infected with on those flights.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd put a fiver on either us or the Russians having made far worse.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Not sure why you guys are so bothered by this ...

What could possibly go wrong?

[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#50]
No, no, no, FUCK NO!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top