Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think so. Is there anything in the bible on it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which makes practically no sense to me.

My dogs are way more free of sin than most people.

would it be a sin to sniff a random person's ass?

I don't think so. Is there anything in the bible on it?

This guy is good to go then.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

By Christian standards, animals can't have souls.  Animals aren't baptized, so how can they be saved?  If they aren't saved their soul can not enter heaven.  

Other parts of the bible say there will be animals cavorting about, but no mention of dogs.  Wolves, horses, lions, sheep.  No dogs.  Or cats.
View Quote

How come some animals get souls and others don't?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...in place of somebody you love and care about?

For clarification:  This person is going to Hell because they are not 'saved'   ie; they never said "the prayer" to accept Jesus into their lives before they passed...
View Quote

LOL. You think that is what it takes to get into hell or heaven?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Christian standards, animals can't have souls.  Animals aren't baptized, so how can they be saved?  If they aren't saved their soul can not enter heaven.  

Other parts of the bible say there will be animals cavorting about, but no mention of dogs.  Wolves, horses, lions, sheep.  No dogs.  Or cats.

George Orwell had the answer to that one, some animals are more equal then others
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You guys jest but there are some people who believe this  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's pretty shitty that all those aborted babies and babies that died at birth are going to burn in hell because they never said "the prayer".

That was their choice not to accept Christ

We're aware....I think the past 6 pages make that pretty clear
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty shitty that all those aborted babies and babies that died at birth are going to burn in hell because they never said "the prayer".

What I don't understand is how anyone could "choose" to send them selves to hell or not.
I'll hazard an analogy:
You are walking down the street and someone runs up and tells you "there is a guy over in that stand of trees across the street who is aiming a rifle at you right now, you need to say that you love him into this microphone and he won't kill you"
You laugh, thinking this guy is nuts, and try to walk on.
Three steps later a .308 round hits you directly in the head, killing you instantly.
Who is responsible for your death, you, or the guy who shot you?
I'd hope any reasonable person would clearly see that the guy who set up the situation, presumably the sniper, is the guilty party.
In my view hell, if it actually existed (which I don't believe) would be exactly the same. Not complying with the wishes of an entity that you don't think exists does not make you responsible for the actions of that entity.  That entity is the one who intentionally set up the situation to begin with.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What I don't understand is how anyone could "choose" to send them selves to hell or not.

I'll hazard an analogy:

You are walking down the street and someone runs up and tells you "there is a guy over in that stand of trees across the street who is aiming a rifle at you right now, you need to say that you love him into this microphone and he won't kill you"

Three steps later a .308 round hits you directly in the head, killing you instantly.

I'd hope any reasonable person would clearly see that the gun who set up the situation, presumably the sniper, is the guilty party.

In my view hell, if it actually existed (which I don't believe) would be exactly the same. Not complying with the wishes of an entity that you don't think exists does not make you responsible for the actions of that entity.  That entity is the one who intentionally set up the situation to begin with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll hazard an analogy:

I'd hope any reasonable person would clearly see that the gun who set up the situation, presumably the sniper, is the guilty party.

Good way of putting it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'll hazard an analogy:

I'd hope any reasonable person would clearly see that the guy who set up the situation, presumably the sniper, is the guilty party.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll hazard an analogy:

lol..."it's Gods fault you have free will"
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll hazard an analogy:

No one claimed that.
Why would I? To stick with the analogy, it would be like saying "its the sniper's fault for letting you have the choice to live or die", which is a stupid statement.  Why? Because its wrong.  Its not the sniper's fault giving you the power of choice, its the sniper's fault for limiting your options to "appease me or die".  Same with hell.  Thus, "free will" does not absolve either god or the sniper from responsibility for creating the situation.
Sorry that you completely misunderstood the analogy.

ETA::Furthermore, there are plenty of ways that the sniper, or god, could test free will that wouldn't involve death or torture for not buying it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Folks make their choices. So let it be.
View Quote

Yep.

Free will to believe/do what you want and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope.  Life's full of choices.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No one claimed that.

Why would I? To stick with the analogy, it would be like saying "its the sniper's fault for letting you have the choice to live or die", which is a stupid statement.  Why? Because its wrong.  Its not the sniper's fault giving you the power of choice, its the sniper's fault for limiting your options to "appease me or die".  Same with hell.  Thus, "free will" does not absolve either god or the sniper from responsibility for creating the situation.

ETA::Furthermore, there are plenty of ways that the sniper, or god, could test free will that wouldn't involve death or torture for not buying it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll hazard an analogy:

No one claimed that.

The analogy sucks..it goes beyond suck..it gets into blow territory
You are given free will to accept Gods grace..if you reject it..God simply gives you what you asked for...separation from Him.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

....snip...
You are given free will to accept Gods grace..if you reject it..God simply gives you what you asked for...separation from Him.
View Quote

Sounds passive-aggressive, which is not a far cry from an admitted vengeful and jealous god.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sounds passive-aggressive, which is not a far cry from an admitted vengeful and jealous god.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

....snip...

So?...God does not fit in your little box set up by your limited understanding....so therefore he's mean.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll hazard an analogy:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll hazard an analogy:

Bad analogy.  God gave folks the gift of life and free will, which allows them to choose the values that make up their spirit.  Note that spirts are not animating forces, they are the person, which includes their values and requires the machinery of a physical body to support the functions of "person".    The soul simply refers to the physical machinery that supports that person in anotherr world.  There is no "lake of fire", there's only worlds, "rooms" with persons of similar spirit.  So, the gift of life is just that.  The person chooses what values they "like" during that life.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So?...God does not fit in your little box set up by your limited understanding....so therefore he's mean.
View Quote

A "god" that creates sentient beings and ends up sitting in judgement over them and casts the majority in lakes of fire and brimstone for eternity isn't "mean"; he is an unloving and unjust tyrant.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its not the sniper's fault giving you the power of choice, its the sniper's fault for limiting your options to "appease me or die".  Same with hell.  Thus, "free will" does not absolve either god or the sniper from responsibility for creating the situation.  

View Quote

There is no "appease me".  The choice is whether or not one values life and the lives and rights of others, such as their sovereignty of will.   This isn't a game like the politicians and folks in charge play, where they fake it.  

Edit:  Note that God didn't force His will on anyone.  When the religious authorities claimed to know and understand Him, they killed Him, because He did not comply to their demands.  So, the "appease me" only applies to the men that require it, because God doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This documentary sheds light on the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dZjwsxYtUA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are no dogs in heaven, you can keep it.
This documentary sheds light on the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dZjwsxYtUA

LOL, just what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I guess you can tell Him that some day.  Good luck.
View Quote

If I were truly faced with that scenario some day, I'd definitely wish I'd paid heed to O_P and would get busy looking for a loophole But I'm betting that "god" won't show up for Judgment Day and there'll be a lot of disappointed folks feeling like they were part of some very large April's fool joke. Either way, we roll the dice, make our choices and learn to live with consequences, come what may.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Free will.  I love the whole idea of "Free Will".  It really sounds good...until you think about it a liitle more, and realize that what you call "free will" is essentially myopia.

God knows the threads of your life.  He knows the threads of everyone's lives.  From the second He made you, He knew whether you were bound for Hell or not.  If there truly is a Hell, then God made people so that they could burn for eternity.  He made them--sinners who will burn for eternity--on purpose.  

The path of your life is known by God.  There is no "choice".  There is no "free will".  There is only your personal blindness to your own future, a future that is already known to Him.  You have zero choice in the matter.  If you doubt His existence, then He made you that way.  He created you to doubt His existence, and to therefore burn for eternity.

Free will is lack of prescience.  All men would make good choices, had they the abillity to see the future.  It is our myopia that provides the illusion of "choice", where none exists...for how can their be a "choice" when travelling, if the destination is a foregone conclusion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ultimate pain and suffering, for eternity.  Lake of fire, et al...

The whole concept of Hell--as a punishment for anything--denies that any Creator that would devise such is an inhuman monster, and at the very least, undeserving of my adulation.

God does not want any human to go there, but we send ourselves their out of our own free will.  We have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Free will.  I love the whole idea of "Free Will".  It really sounds good...until you think about it a liitle more, and realize that what you call "free will" is essentially myopia.

God knows the threads of your life.  He knows the threads of everyone's lives.  From the second He made you, He knew whether you were bound for Hell or not.  If there truly is a Hell, then God made people so that they could burn for eternity.  He made them--sinners who will burn for eternity--on purpose.  

The path of your life is known by God.  There is no "choice".  There is no "free will".  There is only your personal blindness to your own future, a future that is already known to Him.  You have zero choice in the matter.  If you doubt His existence, then He made you that way.  He created you to doubt His existence, and to therefore burn for eternity.

Free will is lack of prescience.  All men would make good choices, had they the abillity to see the future.  It is our myopia that provides the illusion of "choice", where none exists...for how can their be a "choice" when travelling, if the destination is a foregone conclusion?

quoting again from page 2
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A "god" that creates sentient beings and ends up sitting in judgement over them and casts the majority in lakes of fire and brimstone for eternity isn't "mean"; he is an unloving and unjust tyrant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what baffles me....you don't believe..so why is any of this any issue to you?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Free will is an illusion.  Your brain operates on electricity and chemicals.  It's plain old classical physics.  Action and reaction.  We're all just one long drawn out chemical reaction.

ETA: and for that matter, quantum mechanics is BS.  True randomness does not exist.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's really good ice cream.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No no no...I'm calling BS. There is no way you have chosen to worship Satan over ice cream! We need to talk, there is a whole lot more than ice cream over here on this side. Ice cream??? He offered a lot more to Jesus I'm just saying. I'm sure you are special to him but may wanna ask about the other deals he has going.

Also, the guy I friended casts out demons on a dime. Ice cream.....please

It's really good ice cream.

I hear he makes a gnarly cake too.

I'm down for cake.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is what baffles me....you don't believe..so why is any of this any issue to you?
View Quote

I find faith interesting. Religion also informs people's attitudes and beliefs and motivates their actions, so naturally being surrounded by large numbers of religious observers I take an interest in what they think and why.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's different for sure, people that don't believe it's going to rain tomorrow don't argue about it with people who do. But bring God into it and the non believers want to force their non- belief on others. It's sad, what most don't understand is that any joy they have here on earth ,any love or hope comes from this invisible god they don't even believe in ; yet they benefit from him all day every day. Even the light that shines day and night is due to him,  bible says Jesus is the light of the world.. take hell .. there is no joy, hope, happiness, no light. total suck place void of the invisible god they don't even believe in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
yes, but mostly because i don't believe in a magical place with fire and a little dude in a red suit with a pitchfork

magic sky wizard nonsense

fundy's kill me
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Free will is an illusion.  Your brain operates on electricity and chemicals.  It's plain old classical physics.  Action and reaction.  We're all just one long drawn out chemical reaction.

ETA: and for that matter, quantum mechanics is BS.  True randomness does not exist.
View Quote

Free will does exist.  It is a logical process that results in a conclusion, AKA the decision.   All of reality operates according to QM.  Classical is just an approximation.  Randomness is inherent in reality, w/o it there could be no interaction whatsoever.  That means no physics, no phenomina and brain activity whatsoever.  Since you're using a device that can only be created by according to the laws of QM and not classical EM, your claim is false.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's different for sure, people that don't believe it's going to rain tomorrow don't argue about it with people who do. But bring God into it and the non believers want to force their non- belief on others. It's sad, what most don't understand is that any joy they have here on earth ,any love or hope comes from this invisible god they don't even believe in ; yet they benefit from him all day every day. Even the light that shines day and night is due to him,  bible says Jesus is the light of the world.. take hell .. there is no joy, hope, happiness, no light. total suck place void of the invisible god they don't even believe in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's the arrogance and condescension displayed in the above post that make me avoid Christians.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

And the electro-chemical reactions in the test tubes of your brain told you that how? What can you know with certainty about your mind when the tool you have to study it with is also your mind?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joy, love and hope comes from people.  If there is none, then folks have not provided it or provided for it.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

it's the arrogance and condescension displayed in the above post that make me avoid Christians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it man, don't mean to offend but Christians believe because of faith and actual real stuff that happens to them as a Christian that fortifies their belief and faith. but hey , if it's bogus in the end and there is no heaven/hell.. then we'll all be dead and no harm done because as a believer if I'm wrong , oh well .. as a non believer if you're wrong , you're screwed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

As a Buddhist/Infidel I'm already going to hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For clarification:  This person is going to Hell because they are not 'saved'   ie; they never said "the prayer" to accept Jesus into their lives before they passed...

As a Buddhist/Infidel I'm already going to hell.

Just don't douse yourself in gasoline and light a match to protest something and you'll be alright.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I get it man, don't mean to offend but Christians believe because of faith and actual real stuff that happens to them as a Christian that fortifies their belief and faith. but hey , if it's bogus in the end.. then we'll all be dead and no harm done because as a believer if I'm wrong , oh well .. as a non believer if you're wrong , you're screwed
View Quote

If God sends me to hell because I didn't believe in something "just in case"...I wouldn't be a fan of a God like that anyway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No one claimed that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll hazard an analogy:

No one claimed that.

You just don't understand God!!

I don't put as much effort into the minutiae of Christian belief as many do. I accepted Jesus into my heart, pray to God for forgiveness, understanding, wisdom, the safety of my folks, our military members and let Him know I hold no grudges against any that have wronged me(which rarely happens anyway.). I do my best to work hard, take care of my loved ones and treat people with respect. If I make it into heaven, great. If I don't, oh well. If when I die, that is it and nothing else happens, oh well, I won't care anyway.

For all intents and purposes, I'm a short skip from agnostic into belief. I refuse to believe that humanity is incapable of anything of note with or without my God. If that is wrong, so be it. Maintain your faith in your own way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works both ways, Believers pop into threads all the time and condemn non believers and bring your views into the Frey. you guys are being disingenuous at best to say that these Theist vs. Atheist  battles are always and only the result of non believers spouting off.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It works both ways, Believers pop into threads all the time and condemn non believers and bring your views into the Frey. you guys are being disingenuous at best to say that these Theist vs. Atheist  battles are always and only the result of non believers spouting off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should I not defend my faith from lies and deceit?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And you would be correct.  There is no possible Pascal's Wager.  You can't "pretend" to believe to fool God.

Belief must be genuine or it means nothing.  If you are not interested, then it is silly to try to convince you.  You've made up your mind.

If you've not made up your mind, then it is our commandment to tell you about the Gospel.  But no one can force you to believe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it man, don't mean to offend but Christians believe because of faith and actual real stuff that happens to them as a Christian that fortifies their belief and faith. but hey , if it's bogus in the end.. then we'll all be dead and no harm done because as a believer if I'm wrong , oh well .. as a non believer if you're wrong , you're screwed

If God sends me to hell because I didn't believe in something "just in case"...I wouldn't be a fan of a God like that anyway.

And you would be correct.  There is no possible Pascal's Wager.  You can't "pretend" to believe to fool God.

Belief must be genuine or it means nothing.  If you are not interested, then it is silly to try to convince you.  You've made up your mind.

If you've not made up your mind, then it is our commandment to tell you about the Gospel.  But no one can force you to believe.

And when someone say "Stop, enough already.", why not stop? When I was telling of my search, that is one of the things that turned me off, I did not want to be bombarded but whenever I would say I had enough, it wouldn't stop. It was as if they thought they were fighting a fish and if they rested for even a second it would throw the hook and escape, In reality it was just the opposite, the fish fought harder to get away.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the point of driving a wedge between someone and any chance of finding the way to the God you proclaim to love? Sure why not? I got sick of people like you when I was (not sure if I am wording this right) reading the bible and asking questions and trying to accept the word of God. See my responce to O_P, you are a fisherman. The more I get it forced on me. the harder I push away from it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

If thats your criteria then the person will have plenty of company me included....
Keep it in the religion forum....
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No one claimed that.

Well that clears it up.  

Actually the analogy is extremely good if you are talking about a LITERAL HELL.  If you aren't talking about a literal hell, then you are correct, it doesn't apply.

ETA::As far as atheists are concerned, a "total separation from god" = every day life for every human being in the universe.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Bad analogy.  God gave folks the gift of life and free will, which allows them to choose the values that make up their spirit.  Note that spirts are not animating forces, they are the person, which includes their values and requires the machinery of a physical body to support the functions of "person".    The soul simply refers to the physical machinery that supports that person in anotherr world.  There is no "lake of fire", there's only worlds, "rooms" with persons of similar spirit.  So, the gift of life is just that.  The person chooses what values they "like" during that life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll hazard an analogy:

If there is no literal hell then I agree with you.

The analogy is only valid for a literal hell. Sorry for not clarifying that.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
There is no "appease me".  The choice is whether or not one values life and the lives and rights of others, such as their sovereignty of will.   This isn't a game like the politicians and folks in charge play, where they fake it.  

Edit:  Note that God didn't force His will on anyone.  When the religious authorities claimed to know and understand Him, they killed Him, because He did not comply to their demands.  So, the "appease me" only applies to the men that require it, because God doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not the sniper's fault giving you the power of choice, its the sniper's fault for limiting your options to "appease me or die".  Same with hell.  Thus, "free will" does not absolve either god or the sniper from responsibility for creating the situation.  

So everyone who does those things gets a pass from god/sniper? Cool.

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top