Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Accuracy is more a factor of which manufacturer/mounting system.  

Yes, 30 cal can will most definitely work on a 308 AR/Bolt gun or a 5.56 AR, provided you have the proper mounts.

Heavy/light is a price issue.  Generally, 30 cal cans are, at minimum, a couple ounces heavier than 5.56 cans.   Again, strong lightweight materials, e.g. titanium, cost more.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hold on a second. You can put a .308 can on a 5.56/.223 rifle and it works? Just as well?
Technically, db wise, no.  

Practically, to your ear, yes.

And the versatility makes it the better choice for a first/single rifle can.

But it  will also work on a .308 AR?

Heavier? less accurate?
Accuracy is more a factor of which manufacturer/mounting system.  

Yes, 30 cal can will most definitely work on a 308 AR/Bolt gun or a 5.56 AR, provided you have the proper mounts.

Heavy/light is a price issue.  Generally, 30 cal cans are, at minimum, a couple ounces heavier than 5.56 cans.   Again, strong lightweight materials, e.g. titanium, cost more.  

It seems to me that one would be better off spending more money on a high quality .308 can instead of buying two mid quality cans
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Regarding a 9mm can, I'm guessing it is a function of volume, and most 9mm cans are fairly short?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW, this thread is awesome. My brother, father, and I were thinking about setting up a trust soon, and I have been wondering what to get, so I have a whole crapload of questions.

Since a 30cal can works on a 556, and certain 9mm cans work on a 30cal (like a blackout), would a 9mm can work on a 5.56?
NO! 9mm cans only work with SUBSONIC 300BLK. Supersonic rounds will produce too much pressure and cause the can to rupture.This same thing will happen if you try to use 5.56 in it.
Since some 45cal cans work on 9mm, does that mean they would be compatible on anything in between, like say 10mm?
It should. I know people are using .40 cans for 10mm although the full power loads could possibly be too much.
It was my understanding that on a pistol, and I guess this was more back in the day, but a can on the barrel doesn't cycle the action, turning it into a single-shot? What causes this to not be the case with modern cans?
Modern cans use a Nielson device (also called a booster) which uses a spring to isolate the can from the barrel when the barrel unlocks during firing.
Does anybody have one of those integral suppressor uppers for a Ruger Mk II? What has been your experience?

These were the first Qs that came to mind, but I am sure I will have more.

Regarding a 9mm can, I'm guessing it is a function of volume, and most 9mm cans are fairly short?

No. It's a matter of the radial strength of those suppressors. You COULD build a 9mm can rated for supersonic centerfire rounds, but it'd be a .308 can with an oversized bore.

There are plenty of short centerfire cans out there (OPs Inc M4-S, Surefire Micro) that are fine with centerfire pressures.

Basically, put a centerfire round through a pistol can and the amount of pressure generate at the muzzle when the projectile uncorks the bore will rupture the can because they are not built as strong because they don't need to be and if they were they'd be significantly heavier.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I like that it only took me two pages in this thread to buy a dedicated 5.56 can ....read through and forgot I posted.

I bought a Mini4 for my duty rifle.  I might even buy a Surefire for an 11.5" build....don't know yet.  Not enough money right now for it.  

I bought, in order:
Silencerco SS Sparrow
AAC TiRant 45
AAC SDN-6
AAC Mini4

I will add that I wish I knew how quick the Eforms would be....when I paid for my SDN-6 from Silencershop, I insisted on the paper route...it was what was familiar....a few months later, I bought the Mini4 and I will very likely have the Mini4 in hand first...
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

THe problem is deciding how wet is too wet. It's not like there is a gauge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can in fact use a center fire rifle can wet. Not terribly wet but it works.

So how to the SEALs  deal with that issue?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they give 'em a shake & also don't give a shit if they pop one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I just buy what I like.
OPS INC 12th model was my first, and my favorite.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hold on a second. You can put a .308 can on a 5.56/.223 rifle and it works? Just as well?
View Quote

Using similar materials, the 5.56 can will probably be a bit shorter and lighter than a 7.62 can, and will probably be "measurably" quieter too.  HOWEVER the difference in weight will be just a few (2-4) ounces, and your ears will most likely not be able to hear the difference in sound reduction other than some tonal qualities (lower/higher pitch).  I pulled the following info from http://www.silencershop.com/

YHM Ti Phantom QD 5.56
Diameter:  1.5"
Length:  6.875"
Weight: 12oz
Signature Reduction: 35dB

YHM Ti Phantom QD 7.62
Diameter:  1.5"
Length:  8.5"
Weight: 15oz
Signature Reduction: 32dB

For me, getting the YHM Ti Phantom QD 7.62 for use on my 5.56 & 300 BLK ar15's as well as my .308 Win bolt action was a very logical choice.  If I had full auto, I would have went with a can that was rated for sustained full auto use, but why hump the extra weight if I shoot semi-auto only?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Condom over the can to keep water out or tape over the hole.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I won't read all 9 pages, but I will try to post some helpful info and a pic. I have a YHM phantom in 5.56 and a Gemtech Black slide pistol can. Knowing what I know now I would have bought a .3 cal can.

I have friends that use their 30 cal on their 5.56 guns and it works fine, you can move it across many platforms, and it is more versatile. So if I had to go back and do it again I would have bought a YHM in 30 cal instead of 5.56.

I would also recommend starting with a 22 cal can. They are the quietest, most inexpensive, and fun BY FAR! Also make it a point to get a pistol can as they are allot of fun.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have any experience with Griffin Armament suppressors? They have some pretty interesting looking cans.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with Griffin Armament suppressors? They have some pretty interesting looking cans.
View Quote

There's not a ton out there on them. They take lots of flack, but those who own them speak favorably about them. I've spent a lot of time talking to Austin and am waiting on an M4SDK.

Here's a thread on them:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/411398_.html

The only real argument I've heard against them is that they're not a huge company like AAC or SF. What I find interesting is those same people tout Silencerco/SWR as "one of the big boys", ignoring that both companies are relatively new to the scene and their merger was only a little over 2 years ago.Griffin is new, but I can easily see them going the distance.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it possible to run a .30 can on a .22lr or just get the .22 can and then a .30?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it possible to run a .30 can on a .22lr or just get the .22 can and then a .30?
View Quote

It's usually not a good idea to run .22lr through a centerfire can because most of them cannot be taken apart for cleaning. They are welded shut.

.22 cans don't have to withstand nearly as much pressure so it is easy to design one that can be taken apart and cleaned. As I'm sure you know, .22 ammo is VERY dirty, especially when compared to .30 or 5.56mm ammo.

So yeah, get the .22 can and save up for the .30.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a question guys.

Do any 5.56 suppressors on the market mount to a standard A2 flash hider or are any of the mounting systems bayonet compatible? Once I get into NFA items I'd like to not have to change muzzle devices just to do a stabby stab stab photo shoot.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Well gents, I'm set to join the club.  Purchased the proper can for my Mk12 clone earlier this week, so now begins the wait.  Once this can his been paid off, I'll be purchasing a SureFire can for my Block II clone.

Can't fk'n WAIT!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have a question guys.

Do any 5.56 suppressors on the market mount to a standard A2 flash hider or are any of the mounting systems bayonet compatible? Once I get into NFA items I'd like to not have to change muzzle devices just to do a stabby stab stab photo shoot.

Thanks.
View Quote

I think some of the Gemtech cans meet your needs along with Liberty Suppressors.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a question guys.

Thanks.
View Quote

Griffin Armament M4SD and M4SDK and  Gemtech HALO and GMT HALO.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I wish I wasn't so concerned about the weight. I went with a very light, short suppressor instead of a .308 QD suppressor I could have used on my bolt gun as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have a question guys.

Thanks.
View Quote
Gemtech Halo.  A tad on the heavy side, but reasonably priced and very durable.

There was some talk that they were coming out with a titanium Halo this year.  Did they release it at SHOT?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a question guys.

Thanks.

Also the AAC Omni which is no longer in production. Love mine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

and you will be smiling for a week.. Its the coolest sound I've ever heard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a 7.62mm can and a short barrel 300 blackout if you want something to write home about.  Even supersonic loads are pretty quiet from it, it just goes skeeeyaaaa! from the sonic crack.  But the actual muzzle blast is still pretty muffled.

and you will be smiling for a week.. Its the coolest sound I've ever heard.

.300 blkout is going to go down as best new innovation since the glock.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There was some talk that they were coming out with a titanium Halo this year.  Did they release it at SHOT?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a question guys.

Thanks.

GMT HALO. 12oz. They officially announced it at SHOT, but the word was out a couple months back.

I got the chance to shoot it this summer, and its really nice. Super light, sounds great, and is user serviceable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Krpind, would you mind posting a review of the whisper or just IM me your thoughts on it. I'm really wanting one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is a piston a better platform?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My only experience with them is a couple mags through a buddy's work gun (Colt Commando) with an AAC can.

I got bukakked with gas in the face.  I would think some sort of 'gas buster' charging handle would be beneficial.  All rounds fired were in F/A.  Maybe semi isnt as bad.  I dunno.

Suppressed direct impingement systems suck balls......unless you set it up right.  16" rifle gas length barrel ftw.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

GMT HALO. 12oz. They officially announced it at SHOT, but the word was out a couple months back.

I got the chance to shoot it this summer, and its really nice. Super light, sounds great, and is user serviceable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a question guys.

Thanks.

Ooooo. As Paris Hilton would say, "That's Hot."

I'm waiting on my stamp for a Trek-T, which is the 10 oz. thread-on titanium one from them. It's going to live permanently on a SBR, but a HALO version would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Suppressed direct impingement systems suck balls......unless you set it up right.  16" rifle gas length barrel ftw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My only experience with them is a couple mags through a buddy's work gun (Colt Commando) with an AAC can.

I got bukakked with gas in the face.  I would think some sort of 'gas buster' charging handle would be beneficial.  All rounds fired were in F/A.  Maybe semi isnt as bad.  I dunno.

Holy shit so much derp in one quote tree.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm waiting on my stamp for a Trek-T, which is the 10 oz. thread-on titanium one from them. It's going to live permanently on a SBR, but a HALO version would be nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a question guys.

Thanks.

I had my HALO converted to a G5 mount, please for the love of god if you buy a suppressor and want it to disconnect in a timely manner don't buy the HALO.  Also, don't lose the mounting collar lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas in the face does suck balls when shooting a suppressed AR.  Unless your gas system is properly tuned to normalize gas system pressures.  Where's the derp?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Gas in the face does suck balls when shooting a suppressed AR.  Unless your gas system is properly tuned to normalize gas system pressures.  Where's the derp?
View Quote

I'm using a factory LMT 10.5" SBR (which have undersized gas ports for this very purpose) with a PRI gasbuster charging handle with RTV sealant on the top where it meets the upper receiver.

I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm using a factory LMT 10.5" SBR (which have undersized gas ports for this very purpose) with a PRI gasbuster charging handle with RTV sealant on the top where it meets the upper receiver.

I'm not worried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not worried.

Well, that certainly is one way to normalize the gas flow.  Glad to hear this works.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Is a brake still necessary for Suppressor  life if I'm running a 762 can on a 556 sbr?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm not worried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not worried.

Pics?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is a brake still necessary for Suppressor  life if I'm running a 762 can on a 556 sbr?
View Quote

A brake is recommended to lessen baffle wear, since brakes are cheaper than cans.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Pics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not worried.

Pics?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#37]
The change in point of impact with my G5 is annoying--wish I got a SureFire.

And a .30 cal can be used on a 5.56 & .30 cal--but not vice versa.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A brake is recommended to lessen baffle wear, since brakes are cheaper than cans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was specifically inquiring about running a 308 can on a 556 sbr ar15. I would assume the larger bore of the 308 suppressor would lessen the need for a brake?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Wish I'd bought a thunderbeast can first.  All the other can's I've bought/used just don't even compare.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not worried.

Pics?

http://03designgroup.com/photo/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-chargining-handle/DPP_0003copy%5B1%5D.jpg

That's the idea, yes, though mine is black sealant, on a PRI Gasbuster charging handle (which has channels on the right side, just aft of where it meets the upper receiver, to vent any excess gas blown back).
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was specifically inquiring about running a 308 can on a 556 sbr ar15. I would assume the larger bore of the 308 suppressor would lessen the need for a brake?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it will not.

You still want to run a brake on SBR 5.56 rifles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
went with the best, M4-2k

in before the ass hurt
View Quote

I got a M4 2000 but sometimes I wish I would of went with a surfire can or Knights.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

in before the ass hurt
View Quote

Yeah. Cans that weigh 18 oz and require proprietary mounts are awesome.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in before the ass hurt

Most QD cans require proprietary mounts.

Most that don't aren't very good.  They tend to be just as heavy, if not heavier and are often old-tech.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Most that don't aren't very good.  They tend to be just as heavy, if not heavier and are often old-tech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

in before the ass hurt

Which assumes that one wants or needs a QD system. Personally, I don't. I'd rather save the length and weight by using a titanium thread-on can, as I'm not going to move a can around anyway due to the change in POI. So something like a M4-2K isn't "the best" for everyone.

That said, I am intrigued by a titanium HALO.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Which assumes that one wants or needs a QD system. Personally, I don't. I'd rather save the length and weight by using a titanium thread-on can, as I'm not going to move a can around anyway due to the change in POI. So something like a M4-2K isn't "the best" for everyone.

View Quote

Thread-on cans are great for precision rifles.  Not so much for any rifle which may see rapid fire -- at least not in my experience.

Every system has its place.

Calling a "best" can is pretty hard though.  It's all situationally dependent.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thread-on cans are great for precision rifles.  Not so much for any rifle which may see rapid fire -- at least not in my experience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the next gen OSS cans have an antirotation feature, I might not buy any other line.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i want a gemtech halo
View Quote

I have one.... NIce for the money
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Extra QD mounts are expensive.  Kinda wish i went thread on.   My next can will be a thread on .30 cal.  I don't want to put mounts on hunting rifles anyway.
View Quote
I wish I went thread on instead of quick mounts...at $90-$95 a pop I could've bought a separate 5.56 suppressor with the money I've spent on quick mounts.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top