Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for a good thread.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm using a factory LMT 10.5" SBR (which have undersized gas ports for this very purpose) with a PRI gasbuster charging handle with RTV sealant on the top where it meets the upper receiver.

I'm not worried.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gas in the face does suck balls when shooting a suppressed AR.  Unless your gas system is properly tuned to normalize gas system pressures.  Where's the derp?

I'm using a factory LMT 10.5" SBR (which have undersized gas ports for this very purpose) with a PRI gasbuster charging handle with RTV sealant on the top where it meets the upper receiver.

I'm not worried.

I recently bought a 18" Noveske Switchblock barrel for this reason.  Haven't tested it yet.  There are 3 positions, regular, suppressed and off.  They are easily selectable without tools (Assuming it's not red hot), none of the 3 settings can be adjusted.  In theory, Noveske tuned it for the barrel length and typical loads.

My standard 16 inch AR was clearly overgassed with the suppressor attached.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]

wish i had known what would happen to the approval times.

i would have bought a lot more...

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I recently bought a 18" Noveske Switchblock barrel for this reason.  Haven't tested it yet.  There are 3 positions, regular, suppressed and off.  They are easily selectable without tools (Assuming it's not red hot), none of the 3 settings can be adjusted.  In theory, Noveske tuned it for the barrel length and typical loads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas in the face does suck balls when shooting a suppressed AR.  Unless your gas system is properly tuned to normalize gas system pressures.  Where's the derp?

I'm not worried.

I was looking at the switchblocks, but went ahead and got one of the MicroMOA Govnah's after seeing all of Amphibian's posts on here.

I haven't shot the gun with it yet. Its a pretty neat design though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was looking at the switchblocks, but went ahead and got one of the MicroMOA Govnah's after seeing all of Amphibian's posts on here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not worried.

I'm currently building a Innovative Arms WAR upper with a Noveske 16" barrel. Will have to update when I get it all together. Since it's not sitting on the gas block, heat hopefully shouldn't be as much of an issue. Let us know how the MicroMOA works out because I wouldn't mind retrofitting some of my older uppers with it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I haz can.

and an Element 2 and Octane 9 on the way
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Three things I learned buying a rifle can:

1) I "went backwards"... I bought a rifle can first, then a pistol can and then a 22 can. And I use them the most in the reverse order. My 22 can gets the most use, followed by the pistol can. Mostly because of number 2...

2) No matter what you do a rifle can is still "too loud". Yes you can find subsonic rifle ammo that doesn't cycle your action, but that kind of solves one problem and introduces another. It basically turns a huge boom into a smaller boom and you will still need earpro almost all of the time unless you can stand having your ears rung still.

3) Almost every rifle can will to human ears sound just like all the others... the real difference between them is WEIGHT. Buy the lightest can you can afford because suppressors are lifetime purchases for the most part and a huge hunk of steel hanging off the end of your barrel tires you out faster.

If I had to do it all over again I would buy my 22 can FIRST. Then after playing with that for YEARS I'd buy my pistol can. Then honestly I would probably NEVER get around to buying my rifle can. The "bang for your buck" is just not there with rifle cans in my opinion. The ammo will always be supersonic (resulting in a loud sonic crack) unless you custom reload subsonic and live with your semiauto becoming a bolt action. I'd rather have the best 22 can and a million rounds of subsonic 22 than my rifle can 9 days out of 10.

View Quote

This is good solid advice.  Every body knowledgable about cans has told me pretty much the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Agreed. You can put a 7.62 can on a 5.56 rifle and it's almost as quiet as a dedicated 5.56 can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're only buying one can get a .308 instead of a 5.56.

Agreed. You can put a 7.62 can on a 5.56 rifle and it's almost as quiet as a dedicated 5.56 can.

+1 and a great option. I've worked this well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is good solid advice.  Every body knowledgable about cans has told me pretty much the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) I "went backwards"... I bought a rifle can first, then a pistol can and then a 22 can. And I use them the most in the reverse order. My 22 can gets the most use, followed by the pistol can. Mostly because of number 2...

2) No matter what you do a rifle can is still "too loud". Yes you can find subsonic rifle ammo that doesn't cycle your action, but that kind of solves one problem and introduces another. It basically turns a huge boom into a smaller boom and you will still need earpro almost all of the time unless you can stand having your ears rung still.

3) Almost every rifle can will to human ears sound just like all the others... the real difference between them is WEIGHT. Buy the lightest can you can afford because suppressors are lifetime purchases for the most part and a huge hunk of steel hanging off the end of your barrel tires you out faster.

If I had to do it all over again I would buy my 22 can FIRST. Then after playing with that for YEARS I'd buy my pistol can. Then honestly I would probably NEVER get around to buying my rifle can. The "bang for your buck" is just not there with rifle cans in my opinion. The ammo will always be supersonic (resulting in a loud sonic crack) unless you custom reload subsonic and live with your semiauto becoming a bolt action. I'd rather have the best 22 can and a million rounds of subsonic 22 than my rifle can 9 days out of 10.

Everything but what he  says about rifle cans is good advice. I hardly ever shoot anything unsuppressed anymore. There is just no reason for all the noise.
A good rifle can will make your rifle sound like an unsuppressed .22LR. It will also reduce recoil.
You should buy the most durable & quiet rifle can you are able to afford. Not the lightest. It should also be 30 caliber for versatility, and so you can see why 300 BLK is so popular with suppressor owners.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Everything but what he  says about rifle cans is good advice. I hardly ever shoot anything unsuppressed anymore. There is just no reason for all the noise.
A good rifle can will make your rifle sound like an unsuppressed .22LR. It will also reduce recoil.
You should buy the most durable & quiet rifle can you are able to afford. Not the lightest. It should also be 30 caliber for versatility, and so you can see why 300 BLK is so popular with suppressor owners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I agree. I will be getting to NFA when the wife finishes school .22 then pistol then rifle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an AWC Raider.  I wish I'd have bought a .338  Thundertrap instead and just shot all my sub calibers in that instead.

the can is amazing,  pretty heavy but very small and solid.  i wish I would have not let some dumbass russian shoot it at the range where he didn't tighten it all the way and I got a tiny baffle strike. doesn't affect the shooting, but I hat looking at it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quick detach is more like, "not quite as slow detach".
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 18T AAC 762SD that weighs 20oz and the mount sucks but it works.

I just ordered a Griffin M4SD II as I want it to mount to standard A2 flash hiders that I have on most of my rifles.  I could have gotten a Titanium HALO for $175 more (when they hit the market) but it was only 4oz lighter and quite frankly Gemtech doesn't list what series of Titanium it is which makes a BIG difference as to its durability.

I hope to get down below 140db on my 12.5" SBR with the Griffin which will be fine.  If you want  movie quiet the only way is 22LR or 300BLK w/ subs and even that is still 120db or so.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]
That AAC 's 51T mount basically sucks.  I would have ponied for the Surefire at the time or now I would buy a Silencerco.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That AAC 's 51T mount basically sucks.  I would have ponied for the Surefire at the time or now I would buy a Silencerco.
View Quote

Why does it suck?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]
5.56 suppressor is the last on my list after having gotten a .45, 9mm, 7.62 and .22LR can.

Like everyone says, the .22LR is very fun, and that might just be a function of .22LR just being a fun round to shoot anyway.

300 Blackout subsonic from an AR rules all though.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why does it suck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does it suck?

It doesn't. Some of them have one tooth worth of play. They can be tightened up easily if it bothers you.
Surefire suppressors are loud and crappily made. He'd have a mount he liked and a loud spot welded suppressor to go on it if he bought one instead.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm torn between the light weight and small size of my Ranger 2 suppressor and the usefulness of a .308 QD.

If you have a .308 rifle, get a QD 308 for both.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love my Gemtech halo and have no regrets.  It is a bit heavy, but that does not bother me.

The ability to (with caveats) put it onto any A1 or A2 flash suppressor is pretty cool.  
View Quote

I found one of these while I was in Bagram. Fell out of some high speed dudes bags. I tried to convince the CID folks to let me keep it, but they said no .

eta: wow that's an old post I quoted...
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It doesn't. Some of them have one tooth worth of play. They can be tightened up easily if it bothers you.

Surefire suppressors are loud and crappily made. He'd have a mount he liked and a loud spot welded suppressor to go on it if he bought one instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does it suck?

Fanboy much?

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fanboy much?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does it suck?

Fanboy much?  

Nope. I'm a non-fanboy of Surefire though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does it suck?

Fanboy much?  

Well, your slacking, you haven't posted the pic yet.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Lightweight (titanium) is worth the extra dough.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Great info.  

One question I have is regarding an SBR upper for use in 5.56 with a dedicated suppressor. What is the main advantage/need for a Noveske type "switch block"? I'm aware it's for gas regulation but why are they offered in only 5.56 as far as I can tell. You dont see them offered with .300 BLK uppers? Is it a caliber specific issue?

Are they needed? Or can I get the same functionality with a non switch block?

I'm interested in a11.5 or 12.5" upper in 5.56 to be used with a dedicated can and this subject is still unclear to me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Great info.  

One question I have is regarding an SBR upper for use in 5.56 with a dedicated suppressor. What is the main advantage/need for a Noveske type "switch block"? I'm aware it's for gas regulation but why are they offered in only 5.56 as far as I can tell. You dont see them offered with .300 BLK uppers? Is it a caliber specific issue?

Are they needed? Or can I get the same functionality with a non switch block?

I'm interested in a11.5 or 12.5" upper in 5.56 to be used with a dedicated can and this subject is still unclear to me.
View Quote

I have shot a switch block barreled sbr upper (with a gas buster charging handle) and I felt I got more gas in the face than with my 10.5 and Syrac Ordnance gas block after adjustment and a BCM charging handle. Same Saker 5.56 with both setups.
I was looking real hard at the switch block after shooting my sbr in then pistol config. The gas was terrible. Got the Syrac and it all went away. Felt recoil was different too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, your you're slacking, you haven't posted the pic yet.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, your you're slacking, you haven't posted the pic yet.  

New20122 isn't here. The destructive power of "the pic" is only fully realized when a Surefire fanboy has to gaze upon it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Handled an AAC 7.62 and 5.56 can today, as well as a YHM Ti can.

The 7.62 can wasn't that much bigger or heavier than the 5.56 can. Both weighed a lot more than the YHM Ti can.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The 7.62 can wasn't that much bigger or heavier than the 5.56 can. Both weighed a lot more than the YHM Ti can.

View Quote

The Ti is great can, but don't go that route if mag dumps or full auto are your thing.  just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Ti is great can, but don't go that route if mag dumps or full auto are your thing.  just my 2 cents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Durability was a huge priority over weight for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I am thinking about entering the suppressor world and for cost reasons would like to start with a .22.  I have a Ruger MKII, with a 6" stainless bull barrel.  I am wondering if something like this is a viable option for replacing the bull barrel with a threaded version?  I would like to avoid purchasing another pistol unless there is a good reason to do so.  Are there other barrel options?

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am thinking about entering the suppressor world and for cost reasons would like to start with a .22.  I have a Ruger MKII, with a 6" stainless bull barrel.  I am wondering if something like this is a viable option for replacing the bull barrel with a threaded version?  I would like to avoid purchasing another pistol unless there is a good reason to do so.  Are there other barrel options?

View Quote

For almost 300 bucks you can buy a factory threaded 2245 http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/mobile/default.aspx#P6167
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, but that is the receiver, so you're purchasing another pistol.

Get your barrel cut down & threaded for about $75
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#35]
A few questions, because I plan on getting my first can by the end of this year. Budget is $1500 including tax stamp.

I have a Surefire SOCOM muzzle brake on my 5.56 AR, and I was planning on getting the standard-sized FDE SOCOM 5.56 can for it.

1. Will a 7.62 SOCOM can still attach to the 5.56 muzzle brake?

2. How much heavier is the 7.62 version than the 5.56 version? Enough to make a difference?

3. Is there much of a difference between the Mini and Full-sized Surefire cans?

4. Can I shoot 22lr out of a 5.56 can?

5. Can I shoot 22lr out of a 7.62 can?

The only 308 I own is an M1A, so I don't really need a 7.62 can for other calibers.

Pic of AR to be suppressed:

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A few questions, because I plan on getting my first can by the end of this year. Budget is $1500 including tax stamp.

I have a Surefire SOCOM muzzle brake on my 5.56 AR, and I was planning on getting the standard-sized FDE SOCOM 5.56 can for it.

Yes
2. How much heavier is the 7.62 version than the 5.56 version? Enough to make a difference?
Not in my opinion.

Yes, not recommended.
See above.
The only 308 I own is an M1A, so I don't really need a 7.62 can for other calibers.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140710_180203-1_zpsuehag6ic.jpg
View Quote

Do what I did: buy a .22 can and the updated version of the Surefire Mini 7.62.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
Not in my opinion.

Yes, not recommended.
See above.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140710_180203-1_zpsuehag6ic.jpg

How well does the mini suppress? Is there much of a difference between it and the full size?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
titanium .308 can, thank us later
View Quote

yeah, only thing I dont like is how long mine is compared to a 5.56 can

Sounds like a 22 rifle

and cans need short barrels too
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Not as well as the full size 7.62, but close enough.   It is the same size as the regular 5.56 silencer which was a big selling point.   It will work for my 300BLK SBR well.  If you're limited to one centerfire rifle caliber can.  One of the short (er) 7.62 cans makes a great "jack of all trades, master of none" choice.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not as well as the full size 7.62, but close enough.   It is the same size as the regular 5.56 silencer which was a big selling point.   It will work for my 300BLK SBR well.  If you're limited to one centerfire rifle caliber can.  One of the short (er) 7.62 cans makes a great "jack of all trades, master of none" choice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Saw this from another thread. It makes the 762 Mini look like a less-than-ideal choice.
Quoted:
I have a 7.62 Mini.

It will fit on a 5.56 Surefire mount such as the FH-212A, FH-215 or MB556. It will not fit on the new Surefire SOCCOM mounts.

A mini review of the Mini 7.62:
- This is a Mini can, and it suppresses like a Mini can (not as well as a full sized.)
- 300 BLK subs on an 8" barrel was not hearing safe. AAC M4-2000 on a 10.5" suppresses better for example. I shoot everything with hearing pro but did un-wisely take 1 shot with the Mini and 300 blk subs, I'll never do that again.
- shooting supersonics was also nothing special.
- Suppression is OK on a 16" SCAR 17s 7.62x51 rifle. It takes down the noise but is far from hearing safe ofc. Added weight up front was minimal.
- Shooting the 7.62 Mini on a 10.0" SCAR 16s the supression isn't the best. In a quick side by side test an AAC Mini-4 (5.56 mini can) seemed to be supressing 5.56 better (with ear pro on, judged by a friend and I.)
- On the 10" 5.56 I also get a lot of flash out of the can each time. The un-burnt powder seems to be shooting directly out of the barrel through the larger bore. The blast baffle shows very very minimal wear as if the unburnt powder isn't hitting it. This was with a FH-212A on the gun, the break might perform a bit better by directing some of the flash into the blast chamber but i'm not going to run any break on a 10.0" 5.56 gun.
- The positive effect on the 5.56 is that blow back and increases back pressure is basically nothing. On my SCAR 16s I was having bad gas-in-the-face blow back problems, with the 7.62 Mini there is no issue and very minimal back pressure increase.
- I do prefer the surefire can to my AAC due to the much better mount, better muzzle devices, better quality finish and generally better engineering.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

1.  Yes

2.  From SF's site, the delta in weight is 2.5oz

3.  Yes, sound suppression is different.

4.  Yes, but 22 is dirty and you can't open most centerfire cans without jail-breaking them.  And unclean-able rimfire cans are undesireable, they will eventually junk up.

5.  Yes, but 22 is dirty and you can't open most centerfire cans without jail-breaking them.  And unclean-able rimfire cans are undesireable, they will eventually junk up.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

1.  Yes

4.  Yes, but 22 is dirty and you can't open most centerfire cans without jail-breaking them.  And unclean-able rimfire cans are undesireable, they will eventually junk up.

5.  Yes, but 22 is dirty and you can't open most centerfire cans without jail-breaking them.  And unclean-able rimfire cans are undesireable, they will eventually junk up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  Yes

Enough of a difference to justify the smaller size and lesser cost?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#43]
A: Just how hot they can get
B: The blowback.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  Yes

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but ... I'm not you so I couldn't tell you ... it really depends on your priorities.  For me - all full length rifle cans sound about the same to the ear.  Short cans are louder, but if your highest is to increase your ability to steer your gun in the intended direction while also being quieter then I would go that way.  Otherwise full sized cans have never bothered me for my uses.  If you're mostly into guns for their cool factor then you might have an SBR someday and the noise level borders on shitty with a short can.  Just some things to consider  
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Like I said, it is a compromise.   Those are valid criticisms, but I think you'll run into those problems with any of its competitors.  If you plan on buying two centerfire rifle suppressors, you wouldn't be wrong to buy a regular 5.56 can and a full size 7.62, but if you're buying Surefire, you'll spend an extra $1700 (+200) to get a second suppressor.

All that said, Surefire suppressors aren't supposed to meter as well as their competitors, but I like the mounting system and supposed minimal POI shift. On that note: someone here (BigBore maybe) did some testing that showed concentricity of the threads played a major role in POI shift.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but ... I'm not you so I couldn't tell you ... it really depends on your priorities.  For me - all full length rifle cans sound about the same to the ear.  Short cans are louder, but if your highest is to increase your ability to steer your gun in the intended direction while also being quieter then I would go that way.  Otherwise full sized cans have never bothered me for my uses.  If you're mostly into guns for their cool factor then you might have an SBR someday and the noise level borders on shitty with a short can.  Just some things to consider  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  Yes

As of this September I'll finally be allowed to buy a suppressor, so this will be the first of several. I think I would rather have dedicated 22, 5.56, and 7.62 cans that all do their respective jobs well than to have a single can that can do all of those jobs moderately well. And yes, I will also be putting in for a Form 1 on my lower soon as well. I'm planning on taking it down to either 10.3 or 11.5--haven't decided quite yet. Dwell time seems to be the big determining factor there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Good luck with your future tax stamp collection.   It is almost as bad as BRD.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you're only buying one can get a .308 instead of a 5.56.
View Quote

This is what I did. Had it for a week and still haven't shot it though.

OP, I went with the SF just so I could mount it to several guns easily.  1 can for 7.62, 6.8, 300BLK, 5.56.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A: Just how hot they can get
B: The blowback.
View Quote

Got to play with an OSS can a while back. If blowback isn't your thing, the OSS can is.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I found out my sherrif is a dick when it comes to NFA

These are nice
View Quote

Trust.

FYS (Your Sheriff)
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top