Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2013 4:17:06 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these cans?  How do they stack up with AAC or Surefire cans.  Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of there QD 22 LR checkmate cans and I love it.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've heard, they're OK mid level cans. With that in mind...

http://griffinarmament.com/front-toward-arabs/
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply,  It will be a few months before I actually decide on a can or not.  Just trying to narrow down some choices.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been talking to Austin on and off for a couple years. He really takes his business seriously, enough to the point that in the next week or 2 I'll be rolling the dice on an M4SDK.

The only thin I've ever heard negative about Griffin is Austons sometimes.abrasive demeanor. But if you understand the industry and what goes on behind the scenes you would understand his attitude in general. The "Front towards Arabs" thing is way in the past and isn't any worse than anything else every other silencer company has done publically and privately.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard one about a year ago sounded pretty good thought it was alittle big but a good can
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

Quoted:
The "Front towards Arabs" thing is way in the past and isn't any worse than anything else every other silencer company has done publically and privately.

Blatant racism "isn't any worse" than other silencer company drama? Really?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a dog I the fight here but personally I couldn't care less if the owner was a hokey hating militant Black Panther so long as they made good products and delivered on time. Business is business and that crap is personal. He should have kept it to himself for sure but if one finds name calling (especially indirect) that upsetting then I'd say ones life may be a tad too easy. Personally I've heard decent things about Griffin and they are on my list of companies to consider for my next AR can.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another issue...Some buyers weren't advised that such writing would be on their cans. It was a suprise to them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a SS Checkmate and am happy with it. I was also satisfied by the customer service when I purchased it and would consider purchasing Griffin products in the future. As TCBA_Joe mentioned most of the complaints I've seen have been related to personality conflicts with the owner as opposed to products or service. The silencer industry seems to be full of "personalities" who love to create issues with each other and many of the issues with Austin seem to be people looking to be disagreeable. The "front toward Arabs" was ill advised but blown out of proportion IMO.

The reports I've seen on the center fire cans seem to be favorable.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a SS Checkmate and am happy with it. I was also satisfied by the customer service when I purchased it and would consider purchasing Griffin products in the future. As TCBA_Joe mentioned most of the complaints I've seen have been related to personality conflicts with the owner as opposed to products or service. The silencer industry seems to be full of "personalities" who love to create issues with each other and many of the issues with Austin seem to be people looking to be disagreeable. The "front toward Arabs" was ill advised but blown out of proportion IMO.

The reports I've seen on the center fire cans seem to be favorable.
View Quote

The gun industry as a whole is full of Napoleon complexes and personality disorders. The suppressor game makes the rest of the industry look like functional members of society.

Yeah, Blatant racism isn't good. But the same people complaining about it are typically the same people who got the term "amish" banned from this site. Let the guy apologize and learn his lesson and judge the product for what it is. Too bad it takes 15 months from release for the first buyers to weigh in on their purchase so the rest of us can use that input.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Another issue...Some buyers weren't advised that such writing would be on their cans. It was a suprise to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd buy one if they replaced Arabs with Muslims, lot of Arab Christians at my church.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been talking to Austin on and off for a couple years. He really takes his business seriously, enough to the point that in the next week or 2 I'll be rolling the dice on an M4SDK.

The only thin I've ever heard negative about Griffin is Austons sometimes.abrasive demeanor. But if you understand the industry and what goes on behind the scenes you would understand his attitude in general. The "Front towards Arabs" thing is way in the past and isn't any worse than anything else every other silencer company has done publically and privately.
View Quote

Same here. Austin has really jumped in to running the business and has several great silencer. A very complete rifle line that covers many options that are different than competitors (a2 flash hider mounts, fat long cans, reflex designs, etc)

I bought the RSTA. I got to shoot it  a while back and I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#13]
There are better options out there that are not any more expensive.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 of there cans. 223 bushwacker and a 30 cal scout. Both are thread on. Both are built like brick shit houses and will last a lifetime. Bought both with out a demo and I was extremely happy with both. The scout is hearing safe to me. The bushwacker is on par with the AAC M4-1000 I have. Everyone I let shoot these has been impressed,

Both were closeouts. The bushwacker was $200 and the scout was $300 I think. So with tax and transfer fees I was at a grand.

Looking to get another 22 can soon and they will be on my list
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd buy one if they replaced Arabs with Muslims, lot of Arab Christians at my church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man I wish there was a "like" button!

Although I would think that more panties would get wadded over "muslims" vs "arabs'...

I personally don't have a problem with it.  The buyers DEF should have been made aware and given a choice, however.

I embrace outspoken allies as there's no question where their loyalty stands.

I'm SURE there's all kinds of mud hut gunsmiths over there that are scratching anti-American slogans all over their guns.

Meh, they're the enemy; What do you expect? The fact that we're so kind to our enemies is part of the problem IMHO.

But hey, don't mind me...Im just an intolerant asshole.

~WTS
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#16]
FOR ME... I rank everyone into one of three tiers. This is not a rule, rather how I PERSONALLY decide to buy a can

3. Small shop. Griffin, Huntertown Arms, Liberty, Templar, TBAC. There CAN be good products here. TBAC is a great example, they're quite, but expensive, Ti, very niche. Others in this group are plain shit, they lack the tools, processes, coatings, testing, and execution of the big boys. You have no idea if any of them will be around in 5 years to service your LIFETIME silencer.

2. Bulk production / Medium quality. Gemtech, YHM, AWC, and the like. The size of the shop has nothing to do with this. These are almost never top of the line cans. Although there can be rare gems like the Gemtech MK-9K, a very good can albeit like 20-some years old. These companies exist to serve a lower price point. Gemtech is a good example as they have some competitive cans, but I don't think I've ever seen a 100% finished product, it's always that last 5-10% that takes all the work - I see most of these companies put out 90% products. They're plenty fine for almost everyone including some military, but as a civilian remember you are buying a LIFETIME product!

1. Big Boys. Surefire, AAC, KAC, Silencerco/SWR. In my opinion, unless you have a very specific use that a small shop can only fill, these are the only cans I would consider. That said, AAC has been dragging their feet on a new design since 2007-2008, so I wouldn't buy their cans right now, except for the newer Ti cans. Not every can in this group is a winner, some are shitty price/performance like the KAC NT4. But to me, it was clear, the new Surefire Socom line was all I'd ever need for rifle cans. Saker line would be good with a 762 part.

*Some companies like SAS, Ops Inc, and others might float between 2 and 3 even per product.

Griffen imo, is a small shop that will never be able to compete in quality to the big boys. These are lifetime purchases, choose wisely.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the input.  I have been considering a sure fire socom can.  If I get one the main thing I wonder about is how hard it would be for my son to have the can if the trust rout is done away with.  I sometimes think it would be more of a headache to have a can.  I think it would be nice to have though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Gen I Checkmate and a small pile of Gen II Checkmates.

I have no complaints, and the few times I have contacted them with questions and such, they have been extremely helpful.

I would buy from them again with no hesitation. Good folks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input.  I have been considering a sure fire socom can.  If I get one the main thing I wonder about is how hard it would be for my son to have the can if the trust rout is done away with.  I sometimes think it would be more of a headache to have a can.  I think it would be nice to have though.
View Quote

The trust route is not being done away with. If the rules go into effect it will make it more difficult to use a trust.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the checkmate 2, I got it for around two bills and it's awesome!

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look at it this way.... If you put in now. You will not have your can in hand before 2015. Think about that for a second.

Do you want your 2015 Xmas present to yourself to be a generic product you saved a couple dollars on now? Or do you want your future self to get the very best product available right now, with in the case of the SF, the best mounting system anywhere in the industry?

I chose much earlier in the year to be kind to future-me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Look at it this way.... If you put in now. You will not have your can in hand before 2015. Think about that for a second.

Do you want your 2015 Xmas present to yourself to be a generic product you saved a couple dollars on now? Or do you want your future self to get the very best product available right now, with in the case of the SF, the best mounting system anywhere in the industry?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that best suppressor takes another year to save up for, you could be looking at 2017 before you get it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Gen 1 I think my serial is 15 or something like that. It had a mono core. Austin needed some beta testers for a new core he came out with. I got it for free. While not a huge fan of assembly and disassembly, the can sounds far better and FRP aint all that bad. I whacked a ground hog in my garden and my wife didn't even hear the shot from our kitchen window as she was in the bedroom on the phone.

Mine does what it's supposed to do and is very quiet..I have compared it side by side with a sparrow on the same platforms, same ammo. People with us could not discern a difference.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If that best suppressor takes another year to save up for, you could be looking at 2017 before you get it.
View Quote

Yea because NFA is a poor man's game.  We're talking a difference of $200-$600 to step up from shit or average to top of the line. If you can't swing $400 now for something you'll have for the rest of your life. Go get into airsoft because you sure as hell can't afford the ammo to really learn to use one of these things.

It's just good advice to not be cheap at all - but don't be cheap with NFA especially.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yea because NFA is a poor man's game. We're talking a difference of $200-$600 to step up from shit or average to top of the line. If you can't swing $400 now for something you'll have for the rest of your life. Go get into airsoft because you sure as hell can't afford the ammo to really learn to use one of these things.

It's just good advice to not be cheap at all - but don't be cheap with NFA especially.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea because NFA is a poor man's game. We're talking a difference of $200-$600 to step up from shit or average to top of the line. If you can't swing $400 now for something you'll have for the rest of your life. Go get into airsoft because you sure as hell can't afford the ammo to really learn to use one of these things.

So if I accused you of being a smug elitist I wouldn't be wrong?

I'm not a cheap guy. I buy good equipment, I shoot considerably more than most. I've put out the money for quality NODs, good rifles, only quality optics, and only high end weapon lights. You can read my threads about my issues with cheap AR brands and parts.

With ALL that said, I've heard bad things about every major can brand. Durability, bad mounts, weak welds....

Surefire is not a be-all, end-all. Neither is AAC. Or Gemtech, or Knights, or Silencerco. They all have pros and cons, and feature sets. Frankly, there's isn't a "terrible" brand of cans on the national market. You can find some real crappy local stuff made from freeze plugs or carbon fiber, but silencers are not the most difficult thing to build. In order to stay viable (or grow in the suppressor industry like Griffin or Liberty) you can't put out crap. Heck, remember when Silencerco was new? Look how quickly they've grown.

I get that suppressor purchases are pretty much for life, but there are decent alternatives to a top of the line suppressor known to have advantages other than competitive suppression.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top