User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 2.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
As soon as gangster rap became popular. I'd say the very early '90's, starting with NWA.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
better question, how do we stop it?...

By telling kids not to be rebellious

Yeah, a real talkin' to, like Andy did with Opie

Did you think I was being serious? I should have used a smiley.

Wait a few decades, something new will be along to piss off the most recent version the old guard.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Robin Hood scoffs at your naivety....

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee

1300's

Read "Song of Kali" by Dan Simmons

Cool... somebody else who has read "Song of Kali".

Damn that is a creepy, disturbing book.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When Dr Dre's album The Chronic came out.

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When dads quit whipping ass for such behavior.

"Dad's"? What does that mean, I don't know what that is. Oh and I don't need no man to raise my babies either, I can be mommy and daddy I don't need no worthless ass broke ass lazy ass punk ass outta work ass man.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you mean when did people start romanticizing criminals?

We might have to go a ways back.

Billy the Kid comics/story books in the 1890s?

Exactly!
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#10]
It's called de-evolution.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Its a Jewish conspiracy that started in the early '80s.  The assault wave was the Beasty Boys.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Do you mean when did people start romanticizing criminals?

We might have to go a ways back.

Yep.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#13]
When was Genghis Khan laying waste to Asia and Europe?
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The 1960's, when The Great Society replaced the family unit among poor black folks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

get them to idealize the italians again. at least then i could listen to frank sinatra everywhere i go.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I began to notice it in the late 1980s.

Yup remember it well in ny at this time
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In the 50s with Elvis.

Yup.  Been around a long time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

When dads quit there were a lack of fathers whipping ass for such behavior.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Outlaws have always had a certain attraction in popular culture. The difference is the way they are carry themselves and how that trickles down into popular culture. The criminals that are being emulated nowadays are the bottom of the barrel, borderline retarded, no class street thugs that embrace and glorify "ghetto" culture.

Compare that to the mafia, gangsters of the prohibition era etc. Guys who wore finely tailored suits, and had a code of conduct they adhered to for the most part. These guys at least attempted to have a little bit of class.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Outlaws have always had a certain attraction in popular culture. The difference is the way they are carry themselves and how that trickles down into popular culture. The criminals that are being emulated nowadays are the bottom of the barrel, borderline retarded, no class street thugs that embrace and glorify "ghetto" culture.

Compare that to the mafia, gangsters of the prohibition era etc. Guys who wore finely tailored suits, and had a code of conduct they adhered to for the most part. These guys at least attempted to have a little bit of class.

Thats a myth.

They were thugs, same as today, same as throughout human history.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#23]
When MTV discovered rap music.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ding Ding Ding.....

cant be stopped.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a myth.

They were thugs, same as today, same as throughout human history.

Yea they were thugs ultimately but the way they carried themselves was completely different.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It blew up in the 1990's when I lived in ATL.

It was around before that, but it was not mainstream.

I remember it becoming a focal point in ATL after freaknik started getting out of control in the early 90s after that i remember noticing the increase in ghetto attitude BS.

A good way to have a bad day get jumped by a mob, car jacked, or sexually assaulted was to be anywhere near where that bullshit was going on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Bloods and Crips street gangs were out of control in the early 1980s in Los Angeles.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

And I'm not talking about just Black people doing it. White kids, Asain kids, etc act like this. Why? Is it because they see these thugs do whatever they want and it goes unpunished? I don't get it.

Dude, that shit started back in the Late 80s, along with white guilt and the Asian Shit started in the early to mid 90s on the west Coast. Thank the Record / Music Execs.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#30]
It started in the late 80's / early 90's.  Think Vanilla Ice and his single about the 5.0.  Classic want to be white guy gangster b.s.  I think it was actually 1990 to be precise.  I went to a HS in rural Western PA, just north of Pittsburgh.  We had about 30 black students total in a High School that graduate ~ 300 or so with my class in 1992.  Our black population swelled in the summer time, as some Pittsburgh area guys with relatives in the region would come hang out for the summer - apparently much reduced chances of being shot or arrested, while their businesses moved on in Pittsburgh.  All of a sudden, our local b-ball courts were packed with guys who had flashy but not great rides, and the rest of us were sitting on the sidelines.  
My best memory - good friend of mine from HS had an older sister who was dating a nice black guy from our HS, a year ahead of us in class.  One day, he pulls up in a flashy cavalier (I know it's a cavalier, but it looked good back in the day in Western PA, where the mills had gone down the tubes 7 years prior), this was the driver's cousin's car, he tells my buddy and me to jump in for a ride to the local McDonalds.  For whatever reason, my buddy hops in back and lets me ride shotgun.  As we get close to the McD's, driver tells me to grap a $20 spot out of the glove box.  I open the glove box and a cascade of bills spills out onto the passenger seat floor - Mostly 20's, some 50's, 100's, and small change.  I jammed about $3k back into the glove box.  Got through the Mcd's run, by the way the money was from "investments" the driver explained.  
Stopped hanging out with my friend, didn't want to get caught up in one of his sister's boyfriends investments.  
FWIW, the driver graduated, played football at the college I went to, and last I heard was an officer with the PA State Police.  He was a good guy, but had a lot of family members that were caught up in the drug trade.  I used to ask the wanna be guys at my college in the same area - how much shit have you seen fall out of a glove box?  Most didn't have a clue, and I'm thankful that I never asked any of the guys at the b ball courts to sell me some of there product.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

When MTV discovered rap music.

That was sad and I watched MTV from the beginning.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#32]
When parents stopped giving a shit and letting kids dress themselves. If I had tried to do that back in the day my parent's would have said something like "Yo, homie. You ain't going to school dressed like that."
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It blew up in the 1990's when I lived in ATL.

It was around before that, but it was not mainstream.

This.  It was when groups like Public Enemy and other gangsta types took over from the more lighthearted rap like RUN DMC

Public Enemy was all social commentary/politically charged lyrics.   Not so much as gangsta like NWA.

What about this gem from wikipedia: "Developing his talents as an MC with Flavor Flav while delivering furniture for his father's business, Chuck D (Carlton Douglas Ridenhour) and Spectrum City, as the group was called, released the record "Check Out the Radio," backed by "Lies," a social commentary—both of which would influence RUSH Productions' Run-D.M.C. and Beastie Boys."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Enemy_%28group%29
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember laughing when Dan Quayle said it was about family values.  He was right and I was wrong.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#35]
who gives a damn when it started
I want to know when the hood rat  shit is going to end
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too long after "Yo, MTV Raps" began.

MTV manufactures "youth culture" and they were promoting rap & hip-hop to bring about real integration by making inner city black subculture popular with white youth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Too late now. MTV did it's thing.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ditto

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I remember late 1986 when MTV brought out a band called "young black teenagers" and they were all white dudes. The studio audience was stunned because no one had seen "wiggers" before. I don't even recall if they were playing rap, but they had the dress, mannerisms, and they spoke fluent "jive" as we called it then. I did not see rap until a month or so later when Run DMC did that "Walk This Way" music video with Aerosmith in 1987.

In the interview, the guys on the band stated that they were going to bring about real integration and equality by bringing black culture to white youth.

That band disappeared after that interview because they pretty much sucked, but this was MTV's game plan and they accomplished what they set out to do which was to bring white youth into black culture. These days the youth vote is a solid demographic for Obama. This was not the case back about 1985. Obama would have been a joke like Al Sharpton.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

And I'm not talking about just Black people doing it. White kids, Asain
kids, etc act like this. Why? Is it because they see these thugs do
whatever they want and it goes unpunished? I don't get it.

it started with integration/desegregation.....i was there so i can confirm.....

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

When dads quit whipping ass for such behavior.

When kids quit knowing who their Dad's are.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And I'm not talking about just Black people doing it. White kids, Asain kids, etc act like this. Why? Is it because they see these thugs do whatever they want and it goes unpunished? I don't get it.

It began with the ratification of the 18th amendment on January 18th, 1920
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

it started with integration/desegregation.....i was there so i can confirm.....    

MTV manufactures "youth culture" and they wanted to bring about real integration/desegregation by making ghetto black culture into popular youth culture for all races.

Before the late 1980's, things were still pretty much segregated because it was voluntary.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In the interview, the guys on the band stated that they were going to bring about real integration and equality by bringing black culture to white youth.

That band disappeared, but this was MTV's goal and they accomplished it.

Yeah, they're all equally useless cocktards now, with their pants on the ground and their flat bill caps.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Compare that to the mafia, gangsters of the prohibition era etc. Scumbags with too much money, some of which they used to buy the illusion of class.

Guys who wore finely tailored suits, So do successful 'gangstas' when they want to show off their wealth.

and had a code of conduct they adhered to for the most part. They blew up buildings and threw acid in people's faces. Their code was 'whatever is good for business'

These guys at least attempted to have a little bit of class.

Having expensive stuff doesn't mean that you have class.

Dutch Schultz and Al Capone were vicious animals who could afford to dress nicely. They'd still have you tortured to death if it was convenient.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#47]
West coast rap.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Compare that to the mafia, gangsters of the prohibition era etc. Scumbags with too much money, some of which they used to buy the illusion of class.

Guys who wore finely tailored suits, So do successful 'gangstas' when they want to show off their wealth.

and had a code of conduct they adhered to for the most part. They blew up buildings and threw acid in people's faces. Their code was 'whatever is good for business'

These guys at least attempted to have a little bit of class.

Having expensive stuff doesn't mean that you have class.

Dutch Schultz and Al Capone were vicious animals who could afford to dress nicely. They'd still have you tortured to death if it was convenient.

Al Capone and Dutch Schultz did not wear their pants belted low to expose their ass!

They were  pretty much civilized unless you were a competitor in the bootlegging business or stole from them. The old time gangsters of Prohibition were better than many governments which can be described as the "gang in power".

Of course the reason why some here posted about Al Capone and Robin Hood is that they are typical "white guilt" liberals trying to cover down for inner city negro "thug" culture that has become mainstream "youth culture" for all races thanks to the egalitarian liberal social engineers employed at MTV.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When Dr Dre's album The Chronic came out.

I was gonna post this
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#50]
When people figured out selling drugs is easier than holding a job
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top