Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Im about 10hrs in and so far I'm very pleased.  Right now I'm playing on my old PC with a Intel i3 4170T and am having no problem running on High settings (FPS is a little lacking though). I really look forward to playing it on my new rig here in about two weeks.

So far these are my observations

PROS
-Love the new power armor concept (also a con below)
-Gunplay is so much better than previous titles, actually feels like a FPS should
-New VATS is a huge improvement for dynamic gameplay
-Full gamepad support (yea, I'm one of "those guys" that plays from the couch on PC)
-Wide range of crafting options
-Love the new skill chart, and the fact that you can reserve points

CONS
-Power armor "fission core" does not last very long if you sprint at all, especially considering its a nuclear fission battery thats supposed to last forever.  Simple fix on PC though, I just dropped a few spares into my inventory via CC
-Crafting is very confusing at first with very little instruction, and its hard to tell what "junk" has the parts you need since its automatically broken down at the bench
-Gouls don't look like gouls at all anymore, look more like ugly zombies. Need a mod for that ASAP
-Not a fan of the voiced character

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
BTW a good way to get your Base ID's until Wiki catches up is drop whatever item you wish to copy into Dogmeat's inventory, open the console and target him, then type "showinventory" and a list of the Base ID's will show

Alternately you can use "help [item] 4" just like in Skyrim

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate the new power armor concept. Iconic staple of the game that has stayed the same from the first one should not be fuxed with.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Serious as can be.  I think your fanboyishness is off the charts if you can't see how someone could have a negative opinion of the game.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This game sucks.  It's a poor combination of Skyrim and Dead Island.  They had to drag the fucking intro out long enough that you can't get a Steam refund.  Fucking retarded plot, too...oh, blah blah blah, sob sob...but I've got time to make fucking BEDS for these strangers.

This is seriously the worst game I have played in years.  I may never buy another Bethesda title again.

Can't tell if serious or just retarded....

Serious as can be.  I think your fanboyishness is off the charts if you can't see how someone could have a negative opinion of the game.

Lol. You can completely ignore the settlement aspect of the game. Does not affect your gameplay if you don't do any of the settlement stuff.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This game sucks.  It's a poor combination of Skyrim and Dead Island.  They had to drag the fucking intro out long enough that you can't get a Steam refund.  Fucking retarded plot, too...oh, blah blah blah, sob sob...but I've got time to make fucking BEDS for these strangers.

This is seriously the worst game I have played in years.  I may never buy another Bethesda title again.

Can't tell if serious or just retarded....

The only complaints I have with the game so far are the default .ini settings.

But, because I think you've done something horribly wrong:

#1. You can get through the intro in 15 minutes.

#2. You decided to make beds. You can actually do something else. I've found lots of ways that lead toward the objective.

#3. If this is the worst game you've played in years, bro, what the hell are you playing?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hate the new power armor concept. Iconic staple of the game that has stayed the same from the first one should not be fuxed with.
View Quote

I see what your saying, but for the first time in the Fallout series power armor actually feels like the power armor described in fallout lore, and not just a way to get a (+2) Strength bonus...  The only thing I don't agree with is the whole battery bullshit, all the electronic devices in Fallout (such as the pip-boy for example) have always been based on fusion power, which will last hundreds of years.  If Bethesda had simply done the exact same concept without the battery power issue, and made power armor only accessible later in the game once you aligned with the BoS (or other faction) and received power armor training like in the other games, I think it would be far superior and even more lore friendly.

YMMV

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I see what your saying, but for the first time in the Fallout series power armor actually feels like the power armor described in fallout lore, and not just a way to get a (+2) Strength bonus...  The only thing I don't agree with is the whole battery bullshit, all the electronic devices in Fallout (such as the pip-boy for example) have always been based on fusion power, which will last hundreds of years.  If Bethesda had simply done the exact same concept without the battery power issue, and made power armor only accessible later in the game once you aligned with the BoS (or other faction) and received power armor training like in the other games, I think it would be far superior and even more lore friendly.

YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

The battery BS is pretty much everything for me. I can get damaging components and swapping components, but the depleting power is stupidly annoying like repairing guns in New Vegas was.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm so confused by this post. It's all the best aspects of FO3 and FNV combined into one game with a different setting and better graphics.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:32:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh and real time pip boy app on phone or tablet is fucking awesome
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

BTW a good way to get your Base ID's until Wiki catches up is drop whatever item you wish to copy into Dogmeat's inventory, open the console and target him, then type "showinventory" and a list of the Base ID's will show

View Quote
Cheating in fallout? What's the point? Doesn't that ruin the game for you? Well maybe I'm biased I grew out of cheating when I was 12. The fun part for me is ammo management and handling the economy.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:33:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Im about 10hrs in and so far I'm very pleased.  Right now I'm playing on my old PC with a Intel i3 4170T and am having no problem running on High settings (FPS is a little lacking though). I really look forward to playing it on my new rig here in about two weeks.

So far these are my observations

PROS
-Love the new power armor concept (also a con below)
-Gunplay is so much better than previous titles, actually feels like a FPS should
-New VATS is a huge improvement for dynamic gameplay
-Full gamepad support (yea, I'm one of "those guys" that plays from the couch on PC)
-Wide range of crafting options
-Love the new skill chart, and the fact that you can reserve points

CONS
-Power armor "fission core" does not last very long if you sprint at all, especially considering its a nuclear fission battery thats supposed to last forever.  Simple fix on PC though, I just dropped a few spares into my inventory via CC
-Crafting is very confusing at first with very little instruction, and its hard to tell what "junk" has the parts you need since its automatically broken down at the bench
-Gouls don't look like gouls at all anymore, look more like ugly zombies. Need a mod for that ASAP
-Not a fan of the voiced character

View Quote

Easy fix for the knowing what is used for what - go to whatever workstation and browse to the item you want to craft. If the items you need are not a part of your collection, hit tag for search. Any loot that can be broken down into those components will be flagged. Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:17:38 AM EDT
[#11]
8 core AMD 9590 O.C. 5.3 ghz
36 gigs ram
2 1tb samsung EVO SSD's , 1 256 intel SSD
1000w cooler master PSU
Windows 10
Dual Evga 780 ti classifieds in sli
Dual 24" 144ghz Asus monitors

Downloaded game from steam

Downloaded nivdia drivers

Opened to menu then closed

Opened nividia experience clicked optimize

Opened game played the best god damn game ive played in a long time. Gun play is fast and challenging. Stimpacks and vats are a hell of alot more realistic. Im glad the batteries run out in the power armor it makes you haft to work to keep it up and stops you from stomping around the whole time op as fuck.

And the only bug I ran into was in the build system I clicked v like 50 times in a row because i wasnt paying attention when it said hold v and i was stuck in 3rd person and had to reload.

If you think this game is shit you gotta look in the mirror and ask yourself why you hate america and why are you gay.

<-------shit my membership ran out.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cheating in fallout? What's the point? Doesn't that ruin the game for you? Well maybe I'm biased I grew out of cheating when I was 12. The fun part for me is ammo management and handling the economy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just used it to get some extra fusion cores for the power armor, essentially fixing what Bethesda messed up

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I got in a little bit more time this morning, but it is going to be the weekend before I have time to actually sit down for more than half an hour and play this thing. Goddamned business! Run yourself!

So what were everyone's starting SPECIAL stats? Being the mook I am, I load balanced to 4's in everything for the first run.

And can the dog permadie? Lord knows I almost shot him like three times this morning alone, he kept getting between me and stuff I was shooting at.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have 9 points into intelligence, and balanced everything else out.

I'm worried I might have screwed that up, in FO3 I always ran high intelligence so I could get the extra points to put into skills whenever I leveled up. So I did the same thing here, but then I leveled up and realized that the skills don't work exactly the same as they did in past games.

View Quote

It is only an issue if there are talents you want that are higher up in the trees, but even then, you can still get everything.

One of the benefits of intelligence, it seems, is a much higher level earlier.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive spent the last 3 hours building shit in the sanctuary I am so glad this game came out at the end of the semester instead of the beginning lol
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I got in a little bit more time this morning, but it is going to be the weekend before I have time to actually sit down for more than half an hour and play this thing. Goddamned business! Run yourself!

So what were everyone's starting SPECIAL stats? Being the mook I am, I load balanced to 4's in everything for the first run.

And can the dog permadie? Lord knows I almost shot him like three times this morning alone, he kept getting between me and stuff I was shooting at.
View Quote

I went five in to strength, perception, and endurance and filled the rest up as evenly as possible.

It also looks like the dog can't die. After a point the events will stop attacking and go for you. Even if you toss grenades at the dog while he's in this state he's fine. He also regenerates health out of combat.

I've found him most useful so far as a way to ambush opponents. Hard to pull off but very effective when done right.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]
If the dog can't die then that is a massive boon from FO3. Dogmeat was like a danger magnet with paper mache skin in that game... I swear I was reloading my game every five minutes because that little fucker would run at something and get killed every time. I wound up leaving him at the safehouse for the entire game because he just wouldn't stay alive.

Plus I had a GSD as a kid, and I don't think I could live with myself if newdog bit it so easily.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I just used it to get some extra fusion cores for the power armor, essentially fixing what Bethesda messed up

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the point of fusion cores is so you don't run around over powered all the time. Also you can buy them from almost any vendor. You are cheating.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
I always load up hard on Intelligence early on because that determines how much experience you are going to get for the rest of the game. Also I like to dump strength to help carry weight.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No, the point of fusion cores is so you don't run around over powered all the time. Also you can buy them from almost any vendor. You are cheating.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a single player game.  No one cares if he uses cheats.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm on the road right now and plan on picking up FO4 when I get home this weekend.

Any tips as far as whether to focus on guns or energy weapons early on? I normally play a sneaky sniper on my first playthroughs and the fact that you can make laser rifles into laser sniper rifles has me considering leaning towards energy weapons instead of my normal guns.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I started with an IGN Crafter build.  I didn't care for FO3 when it came out so I never invested time into understanding the new style (FO2 TB or nothing!!!).

I'm starting a new build today after reading up on some stuff.  3 4 3 6 5 2 5 <-  This is factoring in Bobbleheads/Books and developing a trade/crafting market.

btw; Even with a manual edit, I still can't get full screen with proper resolution.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#25]
1 1/2 hours in I already noticed a couple of bugs, but it is to be expected. Loving the game so far, but had to take a break for a while.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
btw; Even with a manual edit, I still can't get full screen with proper resolution.
View Quote

I'm assuming you are running ultrawide like I am.

My fullscreen resolution edit is:

bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1440
iSize W=3440

That pops the game to full screen for me at native res. It stretches the HUD so the dark green background bars don't align right, but the game is totally playable... it just looks a little clunky.

I also tweaked my FOV (set it to look better at 21:9, I forget the number I'm using but I can pull it from my prefs file when I get home if you want it), I unlocked the framerate (and forced vsync in my nVidia settings), I turned off the mouse acceleration and smoothing, I turned off the intro movie, I adjusted the mouse lateral speed (I can pull this number for you as well if you are running 21:9), I disabled the gamepad options and I made a few more adjustments on the nVidia control panel side.

Also remember that you need to edit BOTH prefs files for it all to work right (the one in your user docs folder under "my games" and the other one in the Fallout 4 folder in your steamapps).
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1440
iSize W=3440

That pops the game to full screen for me at native res. It stretches the HUD so the dark green background bars don't align right, but the game is totally playable... it just looks a little clunky.

I also tweaked my FOV (set it to look better at 21:9, I forget the number I'm using but I can pull it from my prefs file when I get home if you want it), I unlocked the framerate (and forced vsync in my nVidia settings), I turned off the mouse acceleration and smoothing, I turned off the intro movie, I adjusted the mouse lateral speed (I can pull this number for you as well if you are running 21:9), I disabled the gamepad options and I made a few more adjustments on the nVidia control panel side.

Also remember that you need to edit BOTH prefs files for it all to work right (the one in your user docs folder under "my games" and the other one in the Fallout 4 folder in your steamapps).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1440
iSize W=3440

If you get those numbers from your pref file that would be awesome. I'm using the same monitor.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1440
iSize W=3440

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1440
iSize W=3440

Yeah....I'm an idiot.  I just realized I only edited one file.  FML......thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Say what?

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Say what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what?

It is pretty cool.

I was using it to quickly change weapons and gear on the fly

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Say what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

There is an iOS / Adroid Pip Boy app that pairs to your game and runs in real time. It basically allows you to have your Pip Boy open in front of you as you play, so no need to constantly Tab into it. I had my iPad on my desk in front of me running it and it is pretty damn sweet... I'm still torn on it being easier to use it or the in-game one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

1 1/2 hours in I already noticed a couple of bugs, but it is to be expected. Loving the game so far, but had to take a break for a while.
View Quote

Those are called Radroaches....

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It is pretty cool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

It is pretty cool.

I put it on a spare iPad and it's easier for me to use quickly. It's still rad on my phone, but some of those buttons are small
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm on the road right now and plan on picking up FO4 when I get home this weekend.

Any tips as far as whether to focus on guns or energy weapons early on? I normally play a sneaky sniper on my first playthroughs and the fact that you can make laser rifles into laser sniper rifles has me considering leaning towards energy weapons instead of my normal guns.
View Quote

It doesn't really matter. There's more than plenty of levels to get you both fully decked out. And, because of how things are spread out level requirement wise, you cab easily do both and more.

Fwiw, energy weapons so far have been superior. However, I've only found bad guns so far. I've also not found a merchant in six hours of play.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Anything I should be selling instead of scraping?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sell all extra weapons and armor. Keep all junk at the Red Rocket Gas station. You walk up to any of the work benches and press transfer and there is a "transfer all junk" button.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sell all extra weapons and armor. Keep all junk at the Red Rocket Gas station. You walk up to any of the work benches and press transfer and there is a "transfer all junk" button.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you keep it at one work station, dont they all transfer?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything you put in the workbench is accessible from any workbench within the same settlement.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. The work stations at the same warp point house your stuff if you go to a different place nothing has transferred.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No. The work stations at the same warp point house your stuff if you go to a different place nothing has transferred.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't sell weapons/armor, I scrap them.

As far as workstations go, if you link your settlements, and store stuff in those settlements,  it's shared.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you get those numbers from your pref file that would be awesome. I'm using the same monitor.
View Quote

I'm using a FOV of 75 and a mouse lateral sensitivity of 0.0420

To adjust the FOV you have to add the following lines to the DISPLAY section of both prefs:

fDefaultWorldFOV=75
fDefault1stPersonFOV=75

Some folks don't like the way I like FOV settings, so just trash my number and substitute your own to adjust.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#42]
My copy is showing up tomorrow for my Xbox One.

Any hints that I need to take heed of before I start playing?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look at the character builder guide for where you want to start off with.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

You don't need power armor on the northern part of the map, don't run around wantonly in power armor the power sources you get for them burn out forever and they are VERY expensive.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I take back what I said earlier. After the .ini tweaks, I'm loving this game. I do feel like things are really crammed into the map and areas are a bit too close. The depleting power armor cores are kind of stupid. I never use my power armor. I'm going to dupe them until there's a mod to fix it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As far as workstations go, if you link your settlements, and store stuff in those settlements,  it's shared.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here, I scrap all weapons and armor.

Is there no ammo benches though? Ammo is pretty damn sparse so for

For my special skills, I went with 10 luck and split the rest between perception and intelligence. no ragrets
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't believe so.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Don't believe so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't believe so.

Weapons just give you a general metal which you should be overflowing with from bringing in junk which makes scrapping them completely pointless unless you have the special scrapping perk. Armor breaks down to either basic metal or leather which again is completely pointless unless you have the special scrapping perk. You can buy ammo with all the money you would get if you sold extra guns and armor.

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Weapons just give you a general metal which you should be overflowing with from bringing in junk which makes scrapping them completely pointless unless you have the special scrapping perk. Armor breaks down to either basic metal or leather which again is completely pointless unless you have the special scrapping perk. You can buy ammo with all the money you would get if you sold extra guns and armor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't believe so.

Certain ammo can be pretty sparse as well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone else getting annoyed with the mini nuke super mutants?

Can't go anywhere without running into a couple of those fuckers trying to get their snackbar on.

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top