Oh, and my favorite.

" Does anyone have a recipe for 55 grain, .223 ? "

bumped for the afternoon crowd.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#3]
<removed> this is not a joke thread. dryflash3

Topics like "anyone have a load for .223" shouldn't stay around long if its something that has been answered dozens of times, but if its for a much less common bullet type or caliber it should stay. You can easily find stuff about 55gr .223 reloads, but not for x54R recipes etc...
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes; we have the discretion to sort through the eligible threads.

The load recipe threads are also going to be dealt with soon.

As you know, anything technical posted is quickly drowned to the point that I don't feel anyone wants to take the time to work up technical threads. It's become pointless. Meaningful tech posts get a lot more mileage and use when posted in other reloading forums. I know because I've been posting identical threads posted in this forum and compare in other reloading forums.

Anyways, You and dryflash3's deal. Just getting something said I've felt like saying for a long time.

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As you know, anything technical posted is quickly drowned to the point that I don't feel anyone wants to take the time to work up technical threads. It's become pointless. Meaningful tech posts get a lot more mileage and use when posted in other reloading forums. I know because I've been posting identical threads posted in this forum and compare in other reloading forums.

Anyways, You and dryflash3's deal. Just getting something said I've felt like saying for a long time.

I hear you, and don't blame you, but I have seen similar good tech threads trashed in other forums as well.  Actually, I think some of the worst offenders here have gotten bored and moved on....or they're waiting for me to start another RCBS equipment thread.  There will always be this to some extent.  

AeroE.....nice that you have an avenue to vent your frustration toward, thanks to our Muslim President's agenda, in a much needed & positive way.......my wife and kids are avoiding me for a few days.  Not necessary this time.  I'm resigned.  BUT, I'm thinking about buying up some 20' lengths of 10" PVC and glue-caps though......and a new sharp shovel and pick.  My avatar means even more today.....watch our backs, patriots.

BTW, folks, if you want to share recipes....the RCBS forum is "ASKING" for them!?!?  Wondering if they have a death wish, full of judges and lawyers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm waiting for the inevitable "so, has anyone else noticed a price increase in primers and powders?"

not to say I haven't noticed myself, which I have(1k CCI500 went from 40 to 50 at my LGS)
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for the inevitable "so, has anyone else noticed a price increase in primers and powders?"

not to say I haven't noticed myself, which I have(1k CCI500 went from 40 to 50 at my LGS)

$50.00 for CCI500 is more than double my dealer cost.

Off topic, I know.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#9]

< removed>This is not a joke thread. dryflash3

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I often wonder if anyone buys reloading manuals anymore. It seems like its just easier to ask on the net. I saw a guy at my LGS taking pictures out of the sierra manual
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I often wonder if anyone buys reloading manuals anymore. It seems like its just easier to ask on the net. I saw a guy at my LGS taking pictures out of the sierra manual

Considering the cost of the equiptment, supplies, consumables, and of the weapons we fire out of, somehow $20 for a book that covers your ass is just too much money...
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering the cost of the equiptment, supplies, consumables, and of the weapons we fire out of, somehow $20 for a book that covers your ass is just too much money...

I bought one to learn from, but if you want data for every powder and projectile you have, you need to buy $100+ with of manuals
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Not really true, most all of the bullet and powder manufactuers have some semblence of load data on their websites
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not really true, most all of the bullet and powder manufactuers have some semblence of load data on their websites

Which is why I only have 1 book
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

what I was getting at was the few hundred pages before the reloading data that contains the "how to" section
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#17]
We mature at this craft, starting from adolescence and grow from there. Some will become adequate, some proficient and some masters at cartridge building. It's entirely up to you where you sit at the table and level you choose to operate on. While you might find my response to your statement as incredibly arrogant your statement strikes me as adolescent. Take this as you will but I'm not insulting you. Advice like mine is free so factor that as you formulate a response.

Operating with one book in house would be no different than trying to operate without all of my limbs and appendages. There's a lot more in "those books" than "recipes." Each book contains cartridge history, equipment instructions and most important, theory. Each book has theory unique to the manual. VihtaVouri edition 4 is without a doubt been the most useful book on theory and powder burn rates than any book in house. Lee and Hornady are what I started with printed in the nineties. There's times I reference both manuals when tuning equipment. Richard Lee has some entertaining history on surplus powders after WW2, particularly the sixties and seventies. Not much about his history on surplus powder you need in a tech sense but great for range conversations where a lot of knowledge can be gleaned from others.

I usually will reference a manual first when building a ballistic model for future load and search powder websites for updated information. I acknowledge a lot of load data can be found on line, like VihtaVouri data minus the knowledge VihtaVouri packs in the front half of their book. You do as you please IG, no skin lost here if you ignore me. I teach reloading/handloading locally. I say to my students that my job is to place on the table all the tools necessary for you to be a success at this craft. When done at the end of a long day you will have those tools laid before you. What you pick up and what you leave is completely on you.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why I only have 1 book

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#18]
May want to keep the reloading FAQ updated then.

The first two links in the reloading FAQ are dead: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=406

There's probably more, but I gave up after two dead links.

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The first two links in the reloading FAQ are dead: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=406

This, and there is a bunch of info that could be added to that FAQ as well.  It's a ok FAQ if your loading .223, hell of info on that,  but really it covers nothing beyond .223.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, and there is a bunch of info that could be added to that FAQ as well.  It's a ok FAQ if your loading .223, hell of info on that,  but really it covers nothing beyond .223.

What cartridge would you like to see covered in detail or skill set you think is missing ?

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What cartridge would you like to see covered in detail or skill set you think is missing ?

.223 isn't the only popular cartridge loaded.  there is .308, 30-06 ect.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Bottle neck rifle is bottle neck rifle. These threads aren't intended to do your work for you, rather give you the resources to know how to do your own load work. If you have a specific sizing or concentric problem with a rifle caliber we can help with that.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it would be easy enough to do a pistol thread, maybe some casting threads, but I agree with 1911 that the process and procedures for .223 are the same for 30/06,.308 .243 etc..
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#26]
OK>>>
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Is there anything those of us who frequent the forum (read: spend way too much time here) can do to help?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#29]
How to help?  Take the time to post picture reviews and how-to's of your own.

As far as the tools and resources threads, adding & maintaining those is only possible if people submit threads.  Still maintaining them is a big task for one.....but others would be happy to volunteer to help with specific assignments.  I would.  I'm still a working bldg. contractor, and my gun club's newsletter editor, but there's a little more time left, since I don't coach summer baseball anymore, and I retired as a scoutmaster 15 years ago.

When I first came here I noticed that in "3:  Reloading Tools & Equipment" that there is a section for Blue and Red equipment, and even Lee equipment, but NO Green.  I found that a little surprising seeing that AeroE uses a very green RCBS Pro 2000, and Rock Chuckers are still the most popular single piece of equipment.  Undaunted, I started making picture threads of RCBS subjects.  Most of them are in the Gateway Thread, but I would think it ought to be pretty easy to make a "Green Equipment" section and add those threads to it.

I do agree, the resources ought to be more complete....but AeroE can't do it alone....nor even with Dryflash3's help.

As for people using the resources.....that's a matter of organizing it in a readable and easy to find format.  It's amazing how much great info is in the Gateway for example, but the thread is organized by Author not subject.  That ought to be reversed some how, IMO.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you are considering starting reloading, read everything at the top of this forum before asking your questions.  That means everything, including the Resources.

All threads by new prospects with a question about starting reloading need to include a comment that your question is not answered in the material already available.

If you're looking for components, used the tacked thread.

Failing to follow these guidelines after noon on the 7th of November 2012 will cause your thread to either be locked or deleted without warning.  We were unnecessarily buried by these same topics after The Kenyan was elected the last time, and I intend to get ahead of the problem this time.

In the mean time, I will try to update and improve parts of the information we have in the Resources and tacked threads, but be patient, it's tedious work and requires lots of time.  As always, articles by members are welcome, if not actively encouraged recently; this forum belongs to the members here, but it will benefit by more participation in a couple of topics.

I'm just starting and I am reading everything I can. I'm glad you are doing this, it will reduce the stuff we have to wade through. I feel like this November will be worse than November '08.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#34]
How about putting the all the links in the Gateway thread in it's own forum resource section.

This would mean a mod would have to update the resource section by request instead of people posting links with no logical order and saves time from people having to sift though the gateway thread to see if a thread's been toggled from deletion
Gateway thread in question http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/258520_A_Gateway_to_Interesting_and_Useful_Threads_in_the_Reloading_Forum.html
The resource section for threads previously listed in the Gateway thread could look something like

A Gateway to interesting and Useful Threads in the Reloading Forum

Imperial Sizing wax

Is 25.5 gr of Varget asking for Ka-Boom? by FL_flyfishing_guide

PMC-Off center flash holes––-Now with Update

What happens when a bad .223 reload goes boom?

you get the idea.  Notice thread titles are alphabetized
This would free up a sticky, I sort of hate stickies.  Some technical forums have their first page about 1/2 full of more of nothing but stickies.  
The Gateway resource would look something like 3. Reloading Tools and Equipment resource
Once moved to a resource page you could let the tacked Gateway thread die a slow death and expire into the archives

ETA:

I'll volunteer to do this section.  If not given access I can write the HTML so AeroE or 'flash can cut and paste it into the resource section to be

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#35]
This information

How to Compute Bullet RPM
RPM=Revolutions/minute = [Bullet Speed (ft/sec) X 12 (in/ft) X 60 (sec/min)] / [Rifling Twist (Revolution/inch]

= [Bullet Speed]X[720] / [Rifling Twist] Rev/min

Example: Bullet Speed = 2700 ft/sec, Rifling Twist = 1 turn in 7 inches

Bullet RPM = 2700(720)/7 = 277 714 revs per minute !!

should probably be moved from the Tutorials resource page to the 4:  Reloading References

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Yet another suggestion
Take the next Giraud trimmer or which trimmer to buy thread and make it a gateway thread, lock all future such threads as a dupe of the now gateway threaded trimmer thread
Same could be done with other topics that pop up all the time: FC brass, how to deal with primer pocket crimps, do I need to crimp, etc

ETA: Wolf primers too

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#37]
So is it ok for me to make posts like I did when I worked up my cast lead loads for 380?  I kinda just tossed out some info and pics of what I did and enjoyed reading everyones comments and suggestions.

I just did some load research for my G22 and 40 S&W with 155 gr Hornady XTP that is not going well.  I was gonna make a round 2 with test it then maybe post my info and pics again like I did with my 380 thread.  Hoping to share my experiences and maybe gain constructive criticism from others who may know something I dont or maybe what I did wrong.  Is that kind of thing ok to post or not?

I just dont want to post anything that might get me banned or anything.  I don't ask about reloading equipment much though.  I bought a book years ago and learned most of what I needed to know about equipment back then...before the internet.  Seems now like people just want fast answers without research.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So is it ok for me to make posts like I did when I worked up my cast lead loads for 380?  I kinda just tossed out some info and pics of what I did and enjoyed reading everyones comments and suggestions.

I just did some load research for my G22 and 40 S&W with 155 gr Hornady XTP that is not going well.  I was gonna make a round 2 with test it then maybe post my info and pics again like I did with my 380 thread.  Hoping to share my experiences and maybe gain constructive criticism from others who may know something I dont or maybe what I did wrong.  Is that kind of thing ok to post or not?

I just dont want to post anything that might get me banned or anything.  I don't ask about reloading equipment much though.  I bought a book years ago and learned most of what I needed to know about equipment back then...before the internet.  Seems now like people just want fast answers without research.

No Shitte.
For guys in my area, i cannot stress to them enough  READ, READ, READ.  As we know (or maybe not) All powder mfg have load data on line, which i cross reference with bullet mfg books. The tech tips and other items at the top of the forum have been and still are a great help. It's a shame for some how easy it is to pos,t instead of SEARCH.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Be careful here.

There is a thing called "momentum" and "energy".  If your forum loses these, your forum will die.  People come here to interact with others in (near-)real time.  Take away that dynamism and you may lose your audience.  

It is very likely that everything there is to know and say has already been posted.  If you turn the Reloading "Forum" into a static database, how then do you differentiate yourself from the books that people put on the shelf.  Lose the dynamics and you lose the forum.

I may be wrong about this but I think I've already noticed a drop off in topics since this thread was created.  I took a few days but the drop off may have already started.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Be careful here.

There is a thing called "momentum" and "energy".  If your forum loses these, your forum will die.  People come here to interact with others in (near-)real time.  Take away that dynamism and you may lose your audience.  

It is very likely that everything there is to know and say has already been posted.  If you turn the Reloading "Forum" into a static database, how then do you differentiate yourself from the books that people put on the shelf.  Lose the dynamics and you lose the forum.

I may be wrong about this but I think I've already noticed a drop off in topics since this thread was created.  I took a few days but the drop off may have already started.

I posted a write-up....it prolly sucked but the best I can do

someone made a comment about no love for green?  How about this old thing...I didn't buy it new, but I would have to guess it works just as good now as it did so many decades ago
And that scale...over 20 years old...and still drop dead on...and that trickler...and that lube pad which I cracked the lid on...got them all like 1991-92 Thing is the good stuff just keeps working dont it  The nice lady at RCBS sent me some new parts to tighten up that old press about 5 years ago...including that useles primer tray LOL

I can do many things with it...most of them fun...only thing is for me to construct 50 rounds I gotta pull that damned handle 100-150 times depending on rifle or pistol!

Consider this a friendly BTT with some otherwise useless pics...but we all like pics dont we?  if nothing else my pics will make someone else more proud of their gear!

300 black for the WIN!  I load for my buddy but am in progress of building my own!

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I've never understood why discussion forums want to quell discussion.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We don't.

Just the same basic questions asked over and over.

Which are answered at the top of the page.

Some see it as limiting discussion, I see it as thinning out unnecessary repeated questions.

The same questions asked over and over are what discussion forums are. Why do you want to thin them out?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#47]
The same questions repeated over and over and over again isn't momentum, it's boredum. I've noticed a reduction in posts and a dramatic improvement in content. I post using different screen names in various forums. We are/were suffering for content compared with other forums, we bleed off the one's who use this forum to cut their teeth, only to have a new crop of guys replace them. Bottom line this forum was spun down into doing the same thing over and over and over again. We were cycling about every 6 months from fresh to a little experience. Yes some hang around, most move on. It would be nice to see this forum host more experience than we do. You know there's a problem when someone like Dan Newberry posts here and hardly no one knows who he is and very little reason for someone like Dan Newberry to want to hang around.

Quoted:
Be careful here.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:46:26 AM EDT
[#48]

If the repeated questions are geared towards one ongoing thread on the same topic it's a win-win: 1) duplicated threads are thinned out 2) discussion isn't squelched, it's just steered towards a common thread
Take the topic "which trimmer to buy"? as a prime example. This comes up at least once a week.  Tack the next one and set the toggle bit so it's not archived.  Steer all future "which trimmer to buy" threads to that one.  The topic and discussion continues unabated.
Then add the "which trimmer to buy" thread in the list of Gateway threads
To top it off, I suggested putting all the threads listed in the Gateway thread to a separate, new resource page so the topic can be found easily.

I find that discussion is actually limited by having a new thread on the same topic every week.  I'll respond to one every now and then but not every one, the question was just asked the week before, so I have no incentive to reply again just because someone else posted a thread with the same topic
Using my example, a long running "which trimmer to buy?" thread is more worthwhile than 100 fly by night ones

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If the repeated questions are geared towards one ongoing thread on the same topic it's a win-win: 1) duplicated threads are thinned out 2) discussion isn't squelched, it's just steered towards a common thread

Take the topic "which trimmer to buy"? as a prime example. This comes up at least once a week.  Tack the next one and set the toggle bit so it's not archived.  Steer all future "which trimmer to buy" threads to that one.  The topic and discussion continues unabated.

Then add the "which trimmer to buy" thread in the list of Gateway threads

To top it off, I suggested putting all the threads listed in the Gateway thread to a separate, new resource page so the topic can be found easily.

I find that discussion is actually limited by having a new thread on the same topic every week.  I'll respond to one every now and then but not every one, the question was just asked the week before, so I have no incentive to reply again just because someone else posted a thread with the same topic

Using my example, a long running "which trimmer to buy?" thread is more worthwhile than 100 fly by night ones

This is a good idea for someone like me who is contemplating reloading, but might get the heeby-jeebies from an overabundance of threads to wade through. A tacked thread for each important component would be a nice thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Perhaps maybe, the "Gateway" thread should just be renamed to something a little more logical. Something like "Everything you need to know", or "READ ME FIRST", or something that would make one think the information in that thread has the answers to their questions.

I know when I first started visiting this section of the site. I looked at that thread's title, and though "HMM, what the hell is that?", and didn't open it because the title doesn't do it justice.

It's great thread, with a shit ton of excellent, well put together, and just all around great knowledge. But if the title doesn't give it away, why would folks open it? What's it hurt to advertise it as the best thread in this section?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top