Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are MANY battery /scrap recycling smelters in operation, this isn't the question.  But the one smelter refining raw lead ore into metallic lead IS under threat from the EPA.  Most lead ore is lead sulfide, when it is roasted to make lead, it has considerable emissions of both sulfur and its oxides plus lead dust.  It doesn't take much lead pm to shut it down by the EPA's rules.  When it processes many tons per day, it takes a very tight ship to prevent measurable emissions.  Plus this is the "lead belt" so lead dust is everywhere.

View Quote

So that 5 tons of gov auction lead was a good buy after all?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This, and Doe Run had serious issues.  Kids in the town had blood lead levels higher than kids of the same age and demographic 100 miles away.  You could detect lead on surfaces in the town...as in kids couldn't play in the streets because there was lead dust and other contaminants on the surfaces of pretty much everything outdoors.  

When it rained, the runoff was contaminated...badly which tells you something about what all was going into the air.

It sucks, but that place was dirty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i hate to be "that guy", but...

The amended rules for lead were done under Bush in 2008

And the Clean Air Act was first signed into law by President Johnson.

However it was amended to add more restrictions 3 times since.

In 1970 by Nixon.

In 1977 by Carter

In 1990 by Bush Sr.

It's important for you all to realize that we got fucked by lots of different people of both parties.

This, and Doe Run had serious issues.  Kids in the town had blood lead levels higher than kids of the same age and demographic 100 miles away.  You could detect lead on surfaces in the town...as in kids couldn't play in the streets because there was lead dust and other contaminants on the surfaces of pretty much everything outdoors.  

When it rained, the runoff was contaminated...badly which tells you something about what all was going into the air.

Thanks for the info ...
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lead not being produced is a good thing. There are plenty of non-toxic alternatives.
View Quote

Please stop eating the big white "breath mints" and place them back into the urinals from where you stole them, silly rabbit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
How the hell are we going to kill Rottweiler Alien hybrids now!?!?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sharp sticks
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

flamethrowers
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Does this mean we're going to have to import paint-contaminated Chinese lead now?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does this mean we're going to have to import paint-contaminated Chinese lead now?
View Quote

<goes off to post his sheetrock for sale in the EE reloading section>
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lead not being produced is a good thing. There are plenty of non-toxic alternatives.
View Quote

To keep the shooting sports alive we need to keep ammo relatively cheap.  If ammo becomes expensive shooting will become a sport for elitists.  There is no valid reason to take lead out of bullets.  There is no current problem involving lead bullets.  The people who are trying to remove lead from bullets or ban lead bullets are trying to destroy the gun culture by making it unaffordable.

Guys, yall need to educate the '13ers
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In 1970 by Nixon.

In 1977 by Carter

In 1990 by Bush Sr.

It's important for you all to realize that we got fucked by lots of different people of both parties.
View Quote

But did not Zeebo promote Cass Sunstein to head the EPA? That should tell you something....
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Read up on Pitcher Oklahoma....

Picher is a ghost town and former city in Ottawa County, Oklahoma, United States. Formerly a major national center of lead and zinc mining at the heart of the Tri-State Mining District, over a century of unrestricted subsurface excavation dangerously undermined most of Picher's town buildings and left giant piles of toxic metal-contaminated mine tailings (known as chat) heaped throughout the area. The discovery of the cave-in risks, groundwater contamination and health effects associated with the chat piles and subsurface shafts—particularly an alarming 1996 study which showed lead poisoning in 34% of the children in Picher—eventually prompted a mandatory evacuation and buyout (via eminent domain) of the entire township by the Environmental Protection Agency and the incorporation of the town (along with the similarly contaminated satellite towns of Treece and Cardin) into the Tar Creek Superfund site.

A 2006 Army Corps of Engineers study showed 86% of Picher's buildings (including the town school) were badly undermined and subject to collapse at any time. A F4 tornado which destroyed or damaged 150 homes in May 2008 accelerated the exodus. The town ceased official operations on September 1, 2009 and the population plummeted from 1,640 at the 2000 census to just 20 at the 2010 census. As of January 2011, only six homes and one business remain, their owners having refused to leave at any price; the rest of the town's buildings (excepting designated historical structures) are scheduled to be demolished by the end of the year.

Picher is among a small number of locations in the world (such as Gilman, Colorado and Wittenoom, Western Australia) to be evacuated and declared uninhabitable due to environmental and health damage caused by the mines the town once serviced.

You would often see some asshat 4 wheeler climbing the chat mounds stirring up lots of Toxic Dust!
YAY!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To keep the shooting sports alive we need to keep ammo relatively cheap.  If ammo becomes expensive shooting will become a sport for elitists.  There is no valid reason to take lead out of bullets.  There is no current problem involving lead bullets.  The people who are trying to remove lead from bullets or ban lead bullets are trying to destroy the gun culture by making it unaffordable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should see the other stuff that guy posts, once you do, you'll see why he took a shit in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lead is our achilles heel; it is also in our PRIMERS (yep - the primers contain Lead styphnate).

Lead free primers?  Sure - they exist, and they last about 5 years before they start to degrade and become inert.  Google it. In contrast, current lead-containing primers will last a century or so.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm surprised that the DOD doesn't have something to say about the shuttering of the last domestic source of a strategic metal.
View Quote

They need their next star.  They're team players.

TC
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In 1970 by Nixon.

In 1977 by Carter

In 1990 by Bush Sr.

View Quote

That list is missing non-Statist Conservatives so, looks spot on to me.  "R" means nothing now.

TC
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In 1970 by Nixon.

In 1977 by Carter

In 1990 by Bush Sr.

And?  No kidding there would be lead in the area, the issue was how much is acceptable.  And how much was actually being emitted compared to baseline contamination which existed for decades prior.  

Up until the 1990s, TEL was being added to gasoline, this caused massive non-point source pollution of lead all around the nation.  Now it is no longer an issue, nature eventually took care of it.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Reagan would have ordered the head of the EPA to be dumped into a vat of molten lead for this.
Putin would have dumped the guy into the lead himself.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A President worth having would have said "Nope, military ammunition is vital to national security and EPA has no say over it", and then had the EPA bureaucrat responsible tried for treason.  We could dream...

Reagan would have ordered the head of the EPA to be dumped into a vat of molten lead for this.
Putin would have dumped the guy into the lead himself.  

This
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Who has the power to ban imported things??  Especially materials the EPA deems "hazardous" ???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
great... now we're gonna get stuck with shitty imported lead.

Who has the power to ban imported things??  Especially materials the EPA deems "hazardous" ???

I bet it will be made by China who will mix in a shit ton of lead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, its always a good thing when industry is killed and jobs are lost, WTF.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

From china.

It will probably have lead in it like everything else.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:48:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Your first reply mentions: "lead ingots are the size of a dishwasher"

Your second reply mentions "raw materials."

Niether mentions "lead ore."

Where exactly are you obtaining those giant lead ingots? What are "raw materials" ??? - recycled battery cores?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like utter bullshit to me.

I work for a battery mfg here in PA. Our lead smelter runs 24/7 and rarely shuts down. I'm told it generates $1m/day worth of lead for our battery production.

How much lead ore do you process?  None?

You guys are a lead recycler. Nothing like the operation near Lake City.

Bullshit.

The smelter does it all. We have RR cars bringing in raw materials.

I'm willing to wager that we produce more lead in one day than Lake City does in a month. The smelter supports battery production across a 300+ acre facility.

All the property in the lower RH corner of this pic has since been built into more buildings. Building A4 and the new Oxide2 plant with direct rail capability.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7202/6907537457_f6fde395ba.jpg

Where exactly are you obtaining those giant lead ingots? What are "raw materials" ??? - recycled battery cores?

If he really sees ingots that big his company is making them.

Think about how much that weighs and how you would transport it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:51:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

From china.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From china.

I'm going with Mexico. Judging by the environmental footprint, it looks to be a large operation and more proximal to the contiguous U.S. Results in lower shipping rates.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#26]
And the libs will be the first ones to lament the fact that these blue collar factory jobs are disappearing for Joe lunchbucket and heading overseas.

They are too stupid to realize that their policies are often the reason.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I work for a battery mfg here in PA. Our lead smelter runs 24/7 and rarely shuts down. I'm told it generates $1m/day worth of lead for our battery production.
Some of the lead ingots are the size of a dishwasher.
View Quote

yeah but nothing close to the quality(since it is all recycled) or quantity of doe run who is being shut down by the EPA till they meet their standards. by the way...im sure i also work for the same place as you do. we prefer outside lead pigs over in house pigs, atleast at my specific job. i cant speak for all other jobs though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are at least a couple of battery manufacturers still producing product in the USA.

Where are they getting their lead from? Mexico, maybe?

ETA: Looks like Dragracer_Art answered my question: Apparently, the article is bullshit.
View Quote

mined in canada....doe run was the last in the USA, in canada it is revere. anything else smelted in the states is ALL recycled, not mined.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
I'm willing to wager that we produce more lead in one day than Lake City does in a month. The smelter supports battery production across a 300+ acre facility.

All the property in the lower RH corner of this pic has since been built into more buildings. Building A4 and the new Oxide2 plant with direct rail capability.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

deka as far as lead production is a drop in the ocean compared to doe run! doe run could supply deka, johnson controls and all ammo manufacturing in the country and then some. deka is a consumer of lead not really a producer, just a recycler.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Another panic buy?

This ought to be fun for a couple of years, if not more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And the libs will be the first ones to lament the fact that these blue collar factory jobs are disappearing for Joe lunchbucket and heading overseas.

They are too stupid to realize that their policies are often the reason.
View Quote

The Useful Idiots are indeed too stupid.  The Vanguard of the Proletariat realizes that killing jobs just means more people go onto SSI Disability, SNAP EBT, and other forms of government assistance, which in turn means more D votes and a step closer to Cloward Piven.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

In 1970 by Nixon.

In 1977 by Carter

In 1990 by Bush Sr.

View Quote

It's also important to know that each of those amendments were originally authorized by a Democrat-controlled Congress.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go sit in the corner and think about what you just said
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
Illannoying Teener ....whodathunk it

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When you guys quote the idiot trolls.. it breaks the button.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#37]
We are so free guys!

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

Correct.
If we relied solely on battery cores for lead... the facility would come to a screeching halt in... oh... say... minutes ?

I fix equipment there... I don't make the lead.
I know enough to say with absolutely certainty that we DO make it from scratch. Lead oxide, ore, whatever you want to call it. We do recycle everything too, so that is also a source... but not the only source.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Were you Obama's' roommate in college?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Read up on Pitcher Oklahoma....

Picher is a ghost town and former city in Ottawa County, Oklahoma, United States. Formerly a major national center of lead and zinc mining at the heart of the Tri-State Mining District, over a century of unrestricted subsurface excavation dangerously undermined most of Picher's town buildings and left giant piles of toxic metal-contaminated mine tailings (known as chat) heaped throughout the area. The discovery of the cave-in risks, groundwater contamination and health effects associated with the chat piles and subsurface shafts—particularly an alarming 1996 study which showed lead poisoning in 34% of the children in Picher—eventually prompted a mandatory evacuation and buyout (via eminent domain) of the entire township by the Environmental Protection Agency and the incorporation of the town (along with the similarly contaminated satellite towns of Treece and Cardin) into the Tar Creek Superfund site.

A 2006 Army Corps of Engineers study showed 86% of Picher's buildings (including the town school) were badly undermined and subject to collapse at any time. A F4 tornado which destroyed or damaged 150 homes in May 2008 accelerated the exodus. The town ceased official operations on September 1, 2009 and the population plummeted from 1,640 at the 2000 census to just 20 at the 2010 census. As of January 2011, only six homes and one business remain, their owners having refused to leave at any price; the rest of the town's buildings (excepting designated historical structures) are scheduled to be demolished by the end of the year.

Picher is among a small number of locations in the world (such as Gilman, Colorado and Wittenoom, Western Australia) to be evacuated and declared uninhabitable due to environmental and health damage caused by the mines the town once serviced.

You would often see some asshat 4 wheeler climbing the chat mounds stirring up lots of Toxic Dust!
YAY!
View Quote

Reminds me of Centralia, PA.  Different type of mine, and a different reason for buying the town out..........but the same basic issue and the same basic result.

It's also a very weird place to visit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And?  No kidding there would be lead in the area, the issue was how much is acceptable.  And how much was actually being emitted compared to baseline contamination which existed for decades prior.  

Up until the 1990s, TEL was being added to gasoline, this caused massive non-point source pollution of lead all around the nation.  Now it is no longer an issue, nature eventually took care of it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 1970 by Nixon.

In 1977 by Carter

In 1990 by Bush Sr.

As much as I hate to agree with FedDC, he's right.

I grew up 30 minutes south of Herculaneum.  The town is toxic & the Doe Run plant there has been having problems for decades.

Labor disputes, huge settlements to everyone who lives in the vicinity, aging, crappy equipment causing constant shutdowns.  I moved out of the area 16 years ago & honestly didn't even know that it was still open.

If I had to guess, the plant closed because of their other 1001 problems, and are blaming the EPA.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

EPA banned TEL in gasoline, and replaced it with MBTE, which is even more hazardous,

and has created major ground water problems.

Our .gov has to stop helping us.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#44]
EPA banned TEL in gasoline, and replaced it with MBTE, which is even more hazardous,
and has created major ground water problems.

Our .gov has to stop helping us.

View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Anti-dupe bump
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Congratulations overzealous dupe police, you didn't look close enough. One of your links is actually this thread. And if you look at the first post dates in each thread, you will see that this was the first thread created on the subject.

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Anti-dupe bump
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See it's obviously Lead Poisoning
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I grew up 30 minutes south of Herculaneum.  The town is toxic & the Doe Run plant there has been having problems for decades.

Labor disputes, huge settlements to everyone who lives in the vicinity, aging, crappy equipment causing constant shutdowns.  I moved out of the area 16 years ago & honestly didn't even know that it was still open.

If I had to guess, the plant closed because of their other 1001 problems, and are blaming the EPA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 1970 by Nixon.

In 1977 by Carter

In 1990 by Bush Sr.

Yeah that smelter is a shithole. My father worked in the mines that fed that smelter and the Glover smelter(which is most likely going to be reopened) for 35 years. I worked in those mines for several years while going through college.  I know at one time it was cheaper to ship the ore 2+ hours to STL put it on a barge to China and have it refined and shipped back.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top